Ruger 380 LCP Review by Jeff Quinn

PDA

17&Holding
March 1, 2008, 08:24 AM
Saw this over on the Ruger forum. Good review:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCP.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 380 LCP Review by Jeff Quinn" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
March 1, 2008, 08:39 AM
From the article:

I was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of Miss Elsie Pea. She performed better than I expected, and no attempt was made to shoot from a rested position, as this is not a target or hunting handgun.

I FRIGGIN' HATE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How the HELL am I suppose to know how accurate the GUN is? For all I know, the shooter ain't worth a toot! If you can't chuck this thing up in a ransom rest, at least do your best over sandbangs so I can QUANTIFY accuracy somewhat!!!!!!!! DAG NABIT is that such a hard concept to grasp? I mean, you won't find an analytical chemist trying to quantify something without a burret to titrate from, would ya? He ain't going to do it with a graduated pipet just because it's not necessary in real life to be accurate....:rolleyes: QUANTIFY, people, and 25 yards rested is sorta STANDARD!

So, I know this idiot can hit the kill zone off hand from 25 yards on a half size silhouette. I guess that's about as good as my Grendel P12, but how good CAN it shoot, really? Off bags, my Grendel gets about 5-6" groups and I'd like to shrink that to 4, but the gun just won't do any better. At defense ranges, it'll get the job done, I just prefer better. I know it's a tiny little gun and it's not designed as a target pistol, spare me the speech! I can shoot 3" groups all day long with J frame revolver. That's the competition, people! My Kel Tec 9 shoots 3.5" groups at 25 yards. I like knowing that even if it ain't necessary to be that accurate for a pocket gun. <sigh>

Newton
March 1, 2008, 12:42 PM
I am SO getting one of these.

Prediction - Ruger will sell as many of them as they can make, this gun is going to be a huge seller.

FLORIDA KEVIN
March 1, 2008, 01:04 PM
I want one !! now !

joffe
March 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
gunblast.com do positive reviews of ALL the guns they receive. I'm guessing it's how they get the guns in the first place.

Not saying there's anything wrong with the Ruger (wouldn't know), but I'd look for other reviews if you base the purchase on those.

usp9
March 1, 2008, 01:44 PM
"A Kel-Tec by any other name is still a Kel-Tec" - W. Shakspeare

alpha6164
March 1, 2008, 02:18 PM
Here is a video review from downrangeTV. Another awesome review. I am gonna pick one up ASAP:)

http://www.downrange.tv/player.htm?bcpid=452320104&bclid=459256134&bctid=1433966126

dewidmt
March 1, 2008, 11:52 PM
Man, I swear, everything about that design screams "Kel-Tec"...wonder if any lawsuits (Glock vs. Sigma anyone?) are gonna creep up in the near future? Be that as it may, I'm gonna get one to complement my P32.

Trebor
March 2, 2008, 12:17 AM
No lawsuits. What I've read is that there is nothing patented in the Kel Tec.

The Glock was patented, hence the "Glock v. Sigma" lawsuits. If it's true that nothing is patented in the Kel Tec, then no lawsuits.

BlkHawk73
March 2, 2008, 07:54 AM
Mine's been ordered for a while and the dealer has confirmation he's getting 4. I'm thinking I should have mine in a week or so.

Newton
March 2, 2008, 12:49 PM
BlkHawk73

Please post a review when you have a chance.

Thanks

welldoya
March 2, 2008, 01:17 PM
I'm in.
Anybody seen any actual prices at gunshops ?
Seems I saw somewhere that some on-liners were selling them for as little as $260.

kir_kenix
March 2, 2008, 01:32 PM
From everything I have read about this little pistol, I really like it. Nothing against Kel-Tec, but I would rather own a similar pistol produced by Ruger for no other reason then Ruger's customer service.

I wish the slide locked open on the last round though. That is the one featuer that i wish Ruger would have incoorperated into their design.

SGW42
March 2, 2008, 01:41 PM
gunblast.com do positive reviews of ALL the guns they receive. I'm guessing it's how they get the guns in the first place.

I agree. I enjoy hearing first-hand experience with the guns, seeing close-up photos, and the ballistics reporting, but I seriously have never heard them be negative about any gun. When something is actually wrong there's always an excuse or a reason, or simply "well I like it like that."

wrangler5
March 2, 2008, 02:23 PM
A side by side comparison of the exploded views of the LCP and a Kel-Tec shows a virtually identical collection of parts. I have a P3AT, but if I were in the market I'd go for the Ruger, even at a higher price. KelTec customer service is as good as anyone's and their warranty is for life, but they have a reputation for delivering guns that do not always work properly out of the box. While they fix things for free as long as they need fixing, it costs you overnight shipping every time you send it back and you have to wait for its return. I just have more confidence in out-of-the-box reliability from Ruger.

In addition to the video that's linked above, Michael Bane has a much longer audio discussion of his visit to the Ruger factory to check out the LCP, here http://www.downrange.tv/radio/47.htm. (There are several topics discussed in this 45 minute segment, all of which I found interesting, but you will have to scan through it if you just want to hear about the LCP.) As I recall, they were invited to just pick some guns off the rack of finished guns, including taking one directly from the workman who had just finished assembling it, and take 'em out to shoot. No failures with any of the guns. I think he said they were shooting Black Hills ammo.

kokapelli
March 4, 2008, 12:57 AM
From everything I have read about this little pistol, I really like it. Nothing against Kel-Tec, but I would rather own a similar pistol produced by Ruger for no other reason then Ruger's customer service.

Are you kidding? There is no one in this business with better customer service than KelTec!

If customer service is at the top of your list, you should have purchased a KelTec long ago.:rolleyes:

Someone on the Ktog board has an LCP and will shoot later today.

1KPerDay
March 4, 2008, 01:48 AM
So, I know this idiot can hit the kill zone off hand from 25 yards on a half size silhouette. I guess that's about as good as my Grendel P12, but how good CAN it shoot, really? Off bags, my Grendel gets about 5-6" groups and I'd like to shrink that to 4, but the gun just won't do any better. At defense ranges, it'll get the job done, I just prefer better. I know it's a tiny little gun and it's not designed as a target pistol, spare me the speech! I can shoot 3" groups all day long with J frame revolver. That's the competition, people! My Kel Tec 9 shoots 3.5" groups at 25 yards.

and slow fire standing offhand at fifteen yards grouped five shots into two inches.

sounds pretty good to me... *shrugs*

MICHAEL T
March 4, 2008, 02:29 AM
QUANTIFY, people, and 25 yards rested is sorta STANDARD!
Maybe on a full size pistol not a pocket gun. These are close up pocket guns not range pistols or 25 yds SD Guns. . Would you test a derringer at 25 yds A NAA mini 22 mag rev. at 25 yds. No Same thing just a 7 shot derringer.
I wouldn't expect my PPK/S or Bersa Colt Mustang to be 25 yd tested either.

P. Plainsman
March 4, 2008, 02:36 AM
No lawsuits. What I've read is that there is nothing patented in the Kel Tec.

The Glock was patented, hence the "Glock v. Sigma" lawsuits. If it's true that nothing is patented in the Kel Tec, then no lawsuits.
That's more or less right. If there are no pertinent patents, then the only thing Ruger might have to worry about is a suit for infringing Kel-Tec's trade dress under state law and/or the federal Lanham Act. A manufacturer doesn't have to register its trade dress in order to receive legal protection of it.

Trade dress law basically deals with the ways that the appearance of a product can function as an indicator of who manufactured the product. To succeed, as I understand it, KT would have to show more than simply that the LCP looks similar to a Kel-Tec. They would have to show that the LCP's appearance is so similar to a P3AT that people will buy LCPs thinking they are buying a Kel-Tec.

Given the presence of a big fat "RUGER" logo cut into the grips of the LCP, that sounds like it would be an uphill battle.

(Caveats: This is not legal advice to Ruger, KT, THR members, or anyone else. I am not your lawyer, and I'm not an intellectual property lawyer.)

tinygnat219
March 4, 2008, 05:15 AM
If you think about it, Ruger did something smart. Let someone else beta test the design and then make some changes and Voila! Instant hit.

Bullseye57
March 4, 2008, 08:54 AM
I think it is kind of interesting that Ruger copies someone else's pistol design after they sued Arcadia Machine and Tool (AMT) for copying their Mark II pistol back in the 1980's. The AMT Lightning had superficial external changes too but that didn't stop the litigation.

R,
Bullseye

http://guntalk-online.com/images/guntalk_logo_sm.jpg (http://guntalk-online.com/forum/index.php)

Car Knocker
March 4, 2008, 09:17 AM
1) Were Ruger Mark II and AMT Lightning parts interchangable?

2) Are Ruger LCD and KelTec P3AT parts interchangable?

harmonic
March 4, 2008, 09:52 AM
Outstanding weapon for CCW. I'm getting one as soon as the rush dies down. Once the market stabilizes they'll be available for ~$200.

jgo296
March 4, 2008, 09:55 AM
suprised it hasnt been mentioned......
few days ago i was in gun shop and held and dry fired the lcp
every thing seemed ok with it but ive never bought a pocket auto b4
one thing i did notice if that it would require a completely different trigger stroke
with other pistols i tend to hold the trigger in my first finger joint
doing this with the lcp didnt pull the trigger far enough for it to fire
i had to put the pad of my finger tip on the trigger to get it to travel far enough
is this the case with all baby autos?

the naked prophet
March 4, 2008, 01:55 PM
With tiny guns like the Kel-Tec .380 and even a J-frame .38, I tend to put the second portion of my trigger finger on the trigger. It works pretty well. (http://web.mst.edu/~ikellogg/P3AT-7yards.jpg)

Lobotomy Boy
March 4, 2008, 02:04 PM

First off, jgo, do yourself a favor and learn to use capital letters. This ain't prose poetry. I don't mean to pick on you; I only offer this as advice for succeeding in life.

But as to your question, I think it's fairly standard to put long, heavy triggers on any gun likely to be carried in a pocket, revolver or autoloader.

jgo296
March 4, 2008, 02:07 PM
im in the medical field so poor writing skills are actually encouraged
the trigger isnt heavy kinna long and requires weird positioning of finger

P95loser
March 4, 2008, 02:30 PM
See that is exactly the thing I hate so much about kel tecs and was hoping ruger would fix. I can't stand that long trigger pull. I find I shoot more accurately with a shorter lighter trigger pull.

Husker1911
March 4, 2008, 02:40 PM
All due respect, but how ignorant of the "medical field." Proper communication isn't encouraged? Are you capable of thinking for yourself?

esq_stu
March 4, 2008, 03:02 PM
Does this gun have double-strike capability (the 3AT does not)?

Regardless, I intend to own one of 'em unless they start falling apart like crazy.

chupacabrah
March 4, 2008, 03:14 PM

You're supposed to use the pad of your finger on the trigger , not the joint anyway :neener:

kokapelli
March 4, 2008, 03:16 PM
Does this gun have double-strike capability (the 3AT does not)?
Since it's almost an exact copy of the P-3AT, I don't see how it could have a second strike capability.

Ed Ames
March 4, 2008, 04:42 PM
Regarding testing a mousegun off sandbags... I may be missing something but, why? I understand the desire for hard PERFORMANCE numbers but long range accuracy is not part of the performance envelope of a mousegun. It's like asking how a Chevy S10 performs at 120MPH or carrying 62,000lbs of scrap metal. Relevant performance vectors for a pocket pistol are reliability, velocity, jammability (especially operator-induced failures), snaggability, ease of jam clearance, etc..

Oh, and regarding capitals ... it's a generational thing. Younger writers, especially those who grew up using instant and SMS messaging systems, don't use old style capitalization and punctuation.

Young person: im not sure what your problem is but damn get a grip

Old person: I'm not sure what your problem is, but, damn, get a grip!

when i know im writing for people my own age and younger i usually use the modern rules When writing for older, or mixed, audiences I'll stick with the more classical rules. Both are correct within their contexts. The mistake I usually make is using the classical rules with a modern audience. Many of my friends accuse me of writing like an old man because I use mixed case and punctuation when I shouldn't. Sigh.

jgo296
March 4, 2008, 07:06 PM
husker perhaps you need to contact y0our own medical field associate i assume your medication has lapsed

joshpb
May 6, 2008, 05:40 AM
Hi. This is my first post on THR. I purchased a Ruger LCP less than two weeks ago. I am a part-time security guard, but, even though I have a concealed carry permit, I am not supposed to officially carry a weapon. I went to the store with the intent of buying the Keltec P3AT. I figured nobody would have the Ruger in stock anyway, but they happened to have one. Bought it for $300.

I shot from about 7 yards. I had 6" groupings with an occasional errant round. Plenty good enough for self defense. The one problem I had with the LCP is that it failed to load the last round. It would jam about 3/4 the way into the chamber. It did this repeatedly. I figured it was a weak spring issue. So I later bought another magazine from the local gun store, and the problem was solved no more jams. Even using the cheap CCI blazer ammo.

blackcash88
June 26, 2008, 08:27 AM
the trigger isnt heavy kinna long and requires weird positioning of finger

r u teh infamus jocko?? teh oter guye hoo writez reel gud, two??

Brad Johnson
September 19, 2008, 02:48 PM
Resurrecting an old thread to give more info on the LCP.

The short version:
I have one and love it!

The long version:
I've had my LCP for about four months. I wear it every day. Slipped into in a DeSantis pocket holster it rides in my suit pants without printing. No one at work has even mentioned it (and most there know that I carry). The weight is a non-issue. I don't notice it at all.

It proved to be a bit particular about a friends reloads and one box of el-cheapo never-heard-of-it-before ammo. It digests Wolf, Armscor, PMC, WWB, and Hydra-Shoks with nary a burp. Trigger pull is long and heavy, thought not are egregiously so. I have problems holding it simply because my hands are so big. One and a third fingers on the grip is all I can manage. Even then it is plenty controllable for its intended purpose.

I heartily recommend the LCP!

Brad

9x19sig
September 19, 2008, 08:53 PM
I just got on the waiting list at my favorite local shop, I'm sure I can find an LCP elsewhere but I always like to give these guys my business. They had an LCP for display purposes and the trigger was actually very light and extremely smooth the entire pull. I would attribute it to a nice Kahr trigger. Can't wait till my turn in line comes up.

jocko
September 19, 2008, 10:02 PM
neither the kt or the lcp ruger have double strike capability. To me that is a non issue anyhow. Sure would not keep me from owning one. My lcp at 1350 rounds has been flawless and never had a lite strike, nor the need of the double strike. My kahr PM9 does not have double striike capability, nor does my Smith M & P, nor my glock.

Lobotomy Boy
September 23, 2008, 09:39 AM
I've had my LCP for months now and it is a reliable gun with every brand of ammo I've put through it. My wife limp wristed it once, but I have had no problems except when my finger gets too sore to shoot it properly. I've learned not to shoot more than 50 rounds through it per session to avoid this.

There is one thing that bothers me about the gun--the trigger stroke is so long that if I don't have my finger exactly right on the trigger my finger sometimes doesn't have enough range of motion to push the trigger far enough to break the sear. It's like one of those bad dreams where you pull the trigger and nothing happens. My 642 is sort of like that, except that it always fires, even if the firing doesn't always happen as quickly as I'd like. I understand the need for a long trigger pull in a gun designed for pocket carry, and I have practiced shooting the gun enough to not have this happen, but it still makes me a little nervous about using the gun in an emergency situation.

rantingredneck
September 23, 2008, 09:47 AM
Mine's been carried almost daily since April. I'm at about 600 rounds without failure. Plenty accurate for me to 25 yds.

VARifleman
September 23, 2008, 10:17 AM
LB, make sure you are using the pad of your finger, not the joint. I had those same problems on my Keltec.

JohnBT
September 23, 2008, 04:29 PM
oneofthesedaysi'dliketorunintosomebodywithoneattherangeandtryitouttocompareittoakeltecandmyrohrbaugh

ilikethistypingwithouttheshiftkeyandspacebarandi'm58andneedtoconservemyenergy :)

john

kokapelli
September 23, 2008, 04:47 PM
http://4jer.250free.com/temp/cute.jpg

Huddog
September 23, 2008, 05:00 PM
Bought mine yesterday. Shot it today with Winchester whitebox and SXT. No feeding issues. Accuracy acceptable Love it.

jpwilly
September 26, 2008, 08:03 PM
Bougth mine today at Cabelas for $299 and will shoot it next weekend.

benderx4
September 26, 2008, 08:38 PM
Still have yet to see any of these gems for sale at any of the large chains around here. Saw one at a gun show for $599. I kid you not. Wish we had a Cabelas.

tawcat
September 26, 2008, 08:43 PM
Have owned mine for several months, carry it daily. May not drop a BG with one shot, but it'll sure surprise the hell out of them. Right now I load with JHP's but will be getting the Buffalo Bore 95 gr FMJ-FN. Rather take the chance of making a hole all the way through than taking the chance with a JHP not penetrating enough to do the job!

YANKEE2500
September 27, 2008, 12:36 PM
Had mine for several months, shoots grea,t no issues, trade off between LCP and S&W 340SS for pocket carry.
John

jeff quinn
September 29, 2008, 10:43 PM

Not saying there's anything wrong with the Ruger (wouldn't know), but I'd look for other reviews if you base the purchase on those.

I can't help it. I love guns! Always have. If something is not right with a gun, I report it, but if it works as designed, I report that also.

I also do not test any junk. That is not my purpose, and wastes the time of both me and the readers. I try to test stuff that I like. I love the little LCP. It worked perfectly, and I bought it from Ruger. What more could I report? I suppose that I could have tried to list 100 yard benchrest groups, but why? Same with 25 yard slow fire. Why? This is a pocket gun. If needed, it will be up close and personal.

mgregg85
September 29, 2008, 10:55 PM
Eh, I will keep my new to me P3AT. Its the original article after all and I prefer the real McCoy.

Nice to see you on THR Mr. Quinn, I've always enjoyed reading your reviews and the rest of the reviews on gunblast.com.

kmrcstintn
September 30, 2008, 08:39 PM
1) well put Mr. Quinn ~~ common sense rules the roost; excellent work & welcome to THR

2) whomever it was that stated they were in the medical field & bad grammer/communication was common in medical professions...please do not generalize your response to include all workers in the medical field...as a member of the medical community, please refrain from speaking on my behalf; thank you for your attention & cooperation in this matter :scrutiny:

Crazy Fingers
September 30, 2008, 09:39 PM
Funny how so many people derided the P3AT as a "wimpy mousegun" not suitable for self defense. Yet when Ruger plagarizes the design it's suddenly okay.

wally
September 30, 2008, 09:50 PM
Are you kidding? There is no one in this business with better customer service than KelTec!

Wrong, Kel-Tec is good but S&W gives you a call number to return the gun at their expense via FedEx. You are out only your time to box it up and drop it off!

--wally.

moooose102
September 30, 2008, 10:01 PM
i have both, kel-tec p3at, and ruger lcp. biggest plus of the lcp, is it places all the spent rounds in a nice neat pile. biggest plus of the kel-tec is better grips, allowing for (gasp) better accuracy. biggest complaint about the ruger, is lousey grips. if your hands are at all sweaty, it is hard to hang onto. biggest complaint of the kel-tec,(even with having to send it back for repairs) is it throws brass in every direction for a 10 foot radius! behind, both sides, in front, down your shirt (especially nice for the ladies). draw a 20 foot circle and start searching. other than that, they shoot pretty much about the same. both eat all the ammo i throw at them (after kel-tec repair). yes, it was inconveinient sending back the kel-tec, BUT IT WOULD NOT STOP ME FROM BUYING ANOTHER ONE. plus, according to the factories, the kel-tec can eat some +P ammo. in little guns like these, a little extra punch in a real emergency is always welcome.

blackcash88
October 1, 2008, 06:47 AM
2) whomever it was that stated they were in the medical field & bad grammer/communication was common in medical professions...

Um, try to at least learn how to spell when you're chastising someone, mmmmK?

Lobotomy Boy
October 2, 2008, 09:01 AM
Glad to see you posting here, Mr. Quinn. I read every article on your website.

I used to review books and motorcycle gear for "Motorcyclist" magazine. I had limited space in which to publish the reviews, so I chose to only review the books and products that I rated highly. It probably seemed like I rated everything highly, but the lousy books and products simply never got reviewed. Why waste space giving publicity (even if it's bad publicity) to a crappy product?

orionengnr
October 2, 2008, 10:06 PM
After owning two P3ATs and one LCP, my vote is for the LCP.
Neither of my P3ATs worked correctly "out of the box", and both, after parts replacements (plural) and F&B on both, neither was reliable enough to catty.

My LCP only has about 200 rounds so far (of mixed FMJ/JHP from several manufacturers), and has zero failures.

This is in contrast with my P3ATs. The better of the two (after all of the work and parts replacements) might have experienced "only" one or two failures per 50 rounds...

Yeah, I'll put a few hundred more through the LCP and then I might actually carry it.

Ummm...yeah. Maybe he is in the "pharmaceutical distribution" field. :rolleyes:

blackcash88
October 3, 2008, 10:19 AM
Or a "medical research" subject. :)

Pistol
October 5, 2008, 06:21 PM
Well I got the LCP and tried it today.
:)
I really like it, just cleaned the factory oil off and lubed it with FP10.

No jams even after 130 rounds with no cleaning. My P3AT will not do that.

It is more accurate too, 2" 7 yard groups all day. I was curious about the mechanical accuracy and from a rest at 7yd could do 3 shots touching wih Hydrashocks. Yes I know not for that etc......... I wanted to see how stable it was to judge the rapid fire and point shooting practice of course.

Fit,finish and quality is better than the P3. Fluff and Buff???? are you kidding- do not touch it. One thing I noticed is Ruger has the bullet feed at the top of the ramp and not the middle or bottom, so it is less likely to jam there.

There are subtle design changes if you study it and they all addup to a better gun. If I do not like any of the size or feel features, I should get a larger pistol, so I won't even go there. Great pocket pistol.

No more P3 for me....................

.380awsome
October 6, 2008, 06:58 PM
Man I Want One Of These!

jferrell54
October 6, 2008, 07:40 PM
Picked mine up on Sept. 4 and took it to the range where it broke after 53 rounds of American Eagle(red box) 95 grn.fmj. Sent it to Ruger Sept. 5. Got it back today and the repair order says they repaired the barrel,replaced the hammer pivot pin,replaced the trigger bar and replaced the trigger pivot.Glad I have my Kahr PM9.

WVleo
October 6, 2008, 07:48 PM
Still waiting on My LCP to come back from AZ for total trigger failure after the first 18 rounds. Mine was test fired 9-4-08 . We'll see when it gets back, I'm glad I have My Colt DSII.....WVleo

tuckasee
October 8, 2008, 05:34 PM
I was at Gander Mtn in Bowling Green, KY earlier today. They just received 15 LCPs, and haven't unpacked them yet.

They're pricing them at $349. Demand must still be high, huh?

heavyshooter
October 14, 2008, 08:23 PM
Not saying there's anything wrong with the Ruger (wouldn't know), but I'd look for other reviews if you base the purchase on those. -- joffe

This has been my observation as well. I am waiting to be sure that it is not a glorified Kel-Tec.

Heavy

Lobotomy Boy
October 15, 2008, 09:13 AM
Jeff from Gunblast discussed this on Glock Talk. He said he only devotes space to products that he likes. The stuff he doesn't like doesn't get reviewed on the site. That's what I used to do when I reviewed motorcycle gear for magazines. I figured why waste limited space giving publicity to crappy products? I only had space to review about half the products I tested so I chose to get information out about the good stuff that worked.

I've noticed that Gunblast has never tested a Sig. I think that might say something about how they feel about Sigs.

blackcash88
October 15, 2008, 10:27 AM
Don't believe for a second that if Sig gave them a gun to review it wouldn't be the next greatest thing since sliced bread. :rolleyes:

Gamecock
October 16, 2008, 08:42 AM
Picked up my LCP yesterday morning and headed straight to the range w/Mag-Tech 90g FMJs and JHPs.

Been shooting 1911s since the 60s and wheel guns since long before that, so the squishy feel of the doouble action Ruger, plus an errant thumb that was getting in the way of my trigger finger posed a bit of a challenge.

But, I was determined. After I'd settled down a bit and raised my thumb a tad, things began to look up. Shot 90 rounds: no malfunctions. Shooting the little gun bacame fun and groups were 3" -4" at 8 yds. The magazine finger grip extensions I installed at the range made a huge difference in the feel and control of the weapon (I'd recommend them).

Access is easy using the pocket holster, and with a little practice the comfort level of drawing and effective pointing went up a lot. Since shorts and tees are the uniform of the day much of the time here in the sunny South, the pocket holster is just the ticket.

Today its the draw, point and shoot exercise.

This is a very, very good web site. Thanks. Oh, yes, and nice is the little Ruger.

DawgFvr
October 16, 2008, 11:17 AM
Jeff Quinn has never...ever...ever...had a bad review about any weapon.

Hmmm, wonder why?

Do not beleive anything you read and only half of what you hear.

jocko
October 16, 2008, 01:06 PM
had an outdoor writer friend who wrote on damn near any product and wrote for a local paper also.

He told me he never gave a bad review, for he knerw he would be on a hit list with all the other mfg-ers and then never get to review and most all times was told to keep the object reviewed when all done.

He looked me like, "well didn't you know that".??He had a house and garage full of fishing tackle, never paid a dime for um, so he says..

Read all articles with a grain of salt, try to shoot the gun of ur desires to get your own opinions. TRUST BUT VERIFY..

benderx4
October 16, 2008, 02:44 PM
On the same theme, has anyone ever read a negative gun review in Guns & Ammo and/or the National Rifleman?

Could have saved me a lot of money over the years .......

jocko
October 16, 2008, 06:03 PM
they all follow the same principal IMO..:confused::confused:

1guitarman
November 9, 2008, 10:14 PM
Got my LCP about 2 weeks ago. After about 200 rounds, the trigger broke. I had read about that problem. It goes back tomorrow. Guess I'll have to get the recall stuff done too. I won't see the gun again for 5 months, as I'll be traveling. Glad my Glock 27 and 30 work!

Rottn
January 4, 2009, 04:46 PM
I just bought the 380 LCP while waiting for the 327 to be released (Ruger get off youre ass and get the 327 out). Im very pleased with the performance and accuracy of the LCP. The craftsmanship is beautiful. I wish I would have bought one sooner. My dad and I both ran several clips threw it and both of us off hand had tight groups. He was so pleased hes going to buy one also.

Big Bill
January 4, 2009, 05:42 PM
I can't find one anywhere around here, so I just got on the waiting list at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Rottn
January 4, 2009, 05:46 PM
My gun store said they cant keep them on the shelves and they have only had a few

cibach
January 14, 2009, 07:14 PM
I am looking to get one for the wife.. callled my local gun shop and he can't keep them on the shelves either... I am on the list ot get one..

stalkingbear
January 14, 2009, 07:56 PM
I've had Kel-Tec in the past, and currently own an Ruger LCP. I've had the LCP for about 2 months, and it's ran perfectly with ANYTHING I feed it. The accuracy is an non-issue as if you're that far away where you're concerned about it's accuracy, you're far enough away to where if you DO use deadly force, you'll have a damn hard time explaining it later. It seems to me a lot of the posters are missing an very important point. IF ANY defensive firearm malfunctions regularly, you WILL lose confidence in it and not carry it. That pretty well sums it up for Kel-Tecs that have to be returned due to malfunctioning. The recall on the Ruger LCPs don't concern me in the slightest as my Ruger functions flawlessly AND Kel-Tec has exact same issue, just that they've never even addressed it-unlike Ruger.

Mad Magyar
January 14, 2009, 09:39 PM
I finally got an opportunity to borrow the weapon. Too light, barely got two-fingers on the grip, almost jumped out of my hand during rapid fire; a real "effeminate", a.ka. "Girly-Man" pistol. In all fairness, no hiccups, but certainly not something I'd want for myself....:o

gglass
January 15, 2009, 01:06 AM
I absolutely love my little (post-recall) LCP. I can't carry most of my other handguns due to their size, but you will never see me without my LCP... Unless we meet at an airport. During the cooler months I can conceal one of my 9's, 40's or 45's, yet even then, I'd still be toting my LCP.

I love the accuracy of the LCP. Keeping a 5" pattern at 15 yards is easy to do... I was shocked when I fist bought it.

My little travel buddy:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6264/mylcpin1.jpg

larryh1108
January 16, 2009, 11:07 PM
... without a hiccup. This little gun is a great addition to the pocket carry group. 100% reliable so far. This is a recall gun that hasn''t gone back yet for any "modifications". I also don't drop them loaded very often.

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o435/larryh1108/CCW/LCP3.jpg

caddyshak
February 10, 2009, 04:44 PM
I debated between the Keltec and the LCP and decided on the the Ruger. It just looked and felt more solid. Bad news was it is on back-order.

Spyvie
February 10, 2009, 05:05 PM
Just got my LCP back from Ruger this morning, was supposed to get it yesterday but I didn't hear the UPS guy. Sent it in exactly a week ago yesterday so that's a pretty impressive turn around.

I haven't had a chance to try out the "upgrades" yet but I will soon enough. The new slide hold-open is definetily an improvement, and the free mag is great of course... but the hat is dorky looking.

CZF
February 10, 2009, 05:20 PM
Anyone using/testing the new FTX .380 round??

I have some in 9mm, but no .380 yet.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/horn9mm1.jpg

Spyvie
February 10, 2009, 05:32 PM
Ammunition to Go (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/25rds-380-auto-hornady-critical-defense-90gr-ftx-hollow-poin/cName/380-auto-hollow-point-ammo) has 90gr FTX in stock, I might have to give that a try.

stalkingbear
February 10, 2009, 05:33 PM
I just got my recall box yesterday. I have some gun parts coming in so I'll give it to the UPS guy on next delivery. I'm going to use Hornady Critical Defense load after making SURE they feed/eject ok.

m2steven
May 15, 2009, 09:36 PM
I at first thought he just loved guns, as he said in his post. Nothing wrong with that. However, he reviewed a gun I own, and if you simply read his facts, he states them but never changes his writing tone. He does not leave out negatives, I think he just considers some things as non-plusses. A heavy trigger pull does not bother him in the least. He states the heavy pull in relation to the double action pull.

He does this in all his reviews. I think this guy just loves guns and if it doesn't blow up in his face, or fail in some other way - he will not be inclined to trash the thing.

Another 'famous' reviewer and tv personality reviewed the same gun and really liked it, but referred to the trigger pull as "tow truck like" or something similar. Jeff just notes that the trigger pull is "smooth but somewhat heavy".

Jeff sees an annoyance and accepts it as part of the shooting enjoyment experience. Others will pick and curse and choose to be negative. My opinion is that if you don't have lots of money and have one gun with some problems, getting used to them is the perfect response. Oh, now that I have put 5 to 6 hundred rounds through this 22 magnum revolver, the trigger pull is not near the problem it first was. In comparison, the trigger pull on my SP101 is "trigger pull??? what trigger pull?".

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 380 LCP Review by Jeff Quinn" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!