9mm +P Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. Reclassified??

PDA

txgolfer45
January 11, 2003, 07:09 PM
I bought some at a good price at a gun show. Any issues with this round? Says it is reclassified for non-le. I've shot it in the past with no problems.

Thanks,
Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm +P Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. Reclassified??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HS/LD
January 11, 2003, 07:15 PM
In all the information I could find this ammo performed well.

I know I have a handgun loaded with it around here somewhere....

HS/LD

txgolfer45
January 11, 2003, 07:16 PM
Thanks! My G19 and G26 handled it just fine. no FTFs!

Scott

Morgan
January 11, 2003, 08:30 PM
From the Calibers web site:

Speer "Reclassified" Ammo
Recently, Speer (formerly a division of Blount Sporting Equipment Group; now part of Alliant) has begun selling ammunition identified as "reclassified" into the commercial market. While this ammunition is mostly from their premium Gold Dot line, they have also sold some reclassified Lawman and Blazer ammunition, as well.
Speer considers this ammunition safe to shoot, but recommends against its use for personal defensive purposes in a duty weapon, concealed carry firearm, or home defense gun.

"The ammunition that has been reclassified somehow failed to meet a contract stipulation. It is safe to shoot. Most is likely suitable for defensive use, but it would depend on the exact problem. A large quantity fell out for poor nickel plating on the cases. This nickel plating would not compromise the use of the ammunition, but flaking could present functional problems. Inspection of the ammunition you have should be able to determine if there is any worry in that regard. Other lots were reclassified for other reasons. In general I feel it is best to use it for practice and to prove functioning in the gun and stay with ammunition that was not reclassified for actual carry." - Guy Neill, Blount Sporting Equipment Group

Thanks to Mike Orick for providing this information.

http://greent.com/40Page/general/speer-reclass.htm

Navy joe
January 11, 2003, 08:35 PM
Bought some a year ago, 500 fired, 100 carried, 400 stored. No problems, great ammo, couldn't beat the price of 170/1000.

106rr
January 13, 2003, 05:56 AM
I bought some at a slightly discounted price only to find that it was re classified with the sticker removed. The store had taken off the warning label. I got my money back. Had I paid $170 per K, I would have been a happy camper.

106rr
January 13, 2003, 05:57 AM
I bought some at a slightly discounted price only to find that it was re classified with the sticker removed. The store had taken off the warning label. I got my money back. Had I paid $170 per K, I would have been a happy camper.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm +P Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. Reclassified??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!