another 16" vs. 20" barrel question

PDA

roscoe
August 6, 2003, 02:19 AM
I have been noticing with interest that Saigas in .223 are for sale for around $225 on gunbroker and gunsamerica. For a reliable, budget .223, that seems pretty hard to beat.

My problem is this: the Saigas are all 16" barrel (although theoretically they also available with the 20"). I have checked at ammo-oracle and understand the 2700 fps issue and terminal ballistics, but no one has mentioned the difference in drop. How much more flat-shooting is the rifle with the 20" barrel? I understand, of course, that with the Saiga the accuracy at distance may not be good enough to make it an issue.

But, humor me - how much more holdover is required at 100, 200, and 300 yards?

If you enjoyed reading about "another 16" vs. 20" barrel question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Southern Raider
August 6, 2003, 07:44 AM
I can assure you that at those ranges, even with a velocity difference, the drop is negligible. Let me know if you want exact numbers.

Flash Hole
August 6, 2003, 10:17 AM
With my 16'' Bushmaster and a 55gr FMJ @ 2810 fps with a 200yard zero
Drop is -9'' at 300 and +1.59 at 100.
Flash

roscoe
August 6, 2003, 01:12 PM
Just checked a bit further at ammo-oracle and the answer was there all along. Wow - that place really does have it all. Southern Raider, you are dead on. At 200 yards the difference is something like 1/2".

Thanks for the response.

If you enjoyed reading about "another 16" vs. 20" barrel question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!