Favorite .40 Range Ammo?

PDA

Air,Land&Sea
March 1, 2008, 12:44 PM
What's the "best" 165 gr. .40 practice ammo out there that can also serve as personal defense ammo in a pinch? Leaning towards Black Hills Remanufactured.

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite .40 Range Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jhoff8487
March 1, 2008, 02:00 PM
I just bought a 1000 rounds of Speer Lawman FMJ 165gr. from Ammoman.com. The stuff runs great through my Steyr, XD-SC, and CX4.

BadAndys5oh
March 1, 2008, 02:59 PM
I got 1k rounds (of the 180gr flavor) Speer Lawman FMj from Ammoman.com also and my Steyr loves it. Even though I found out through an accidental discharge that the primers are pretty soft.

kennedy
March 1, 2008, 07:28 PM
I buy winchester white box 100 ct from wally world for $21.77, for practice and reloading, and have a box of federal hollow pts for protection.

BlindJustice
March 1, 2008, 07:46 PM
Are you referring to
.40 S & W
10 MM AUto
.400 CorBon

? you're not being specific

I like 165 gr. Hornady XTP JHP
for .400 CorBon from Reeds Ammunition & Research.

fwiw

RyanM
March 1, 2008, 08:02 PM
I don't really like shooting expensive JHPs for practice, once reliability has been established. I'd just get enough premium JHPs to do a reliability test and load everything up, then practice with a cheap FMJ that has the same POI and recoil. In a pinch, FMJ will work for defense, but you have to be especially aware of what's behind your target.

DMK
March 1, 2008, 08:07 PM
What's the "best" 165 gr. .40 practice ammo out there that can also serve as personal defense ammo in a pinch?I practice with 165gr. CCI Blazer in both aluminum case and brass case varieties. I've never used cheap HPs. My carry ammo is 165gr Golden Sabers and 155gr Gold Dots.

perris
March 1, 2008, 09:00 PM
My favorite 40SW's are Fiocchi 170g FMJ. They are loaded on the hot side but are very consistent and very clean. I have also tried UMC's, but they tend to leave a lot of soot aroudn the muzzle of my pistols.

Seotaji
March 1, 2008, 10:43 PM
what's funny is that the cheapest ammo i could find (cci blazer brass) was also the cleanest out of all my choices (WWB, rem UMC).

kd7nqb
March 2, 2008, 02:15 AM
I like White box or Remington UMC but I have Much better luck with UMC from the green box than the yellow box, it must be different somehow. I found some Blazer Brass that I need to use but its been a while since my last range trip.

NGIB
March 2, 2008, 05:12 AM
For range ammo I use mostly WWB from Walmart or CCI aluminum. I actually find the CCI a bit cleaner and I've never had a problem with it in any of my guns.

Big difference between range ammo and good self-defense ammo though. I buy a lot of my SD ammo from Georgia-Arms as they always have a table at the gun shows in my area...

DWARREN123
March 2, 2008, 06:25 AM
This works for me, be careful using reload info from folks ypu do not know!

My favorite is a 165gr Magnus JHP loaded in WIN or REM brass, Fed 100 primer and 7.3 gr of Hodgdon LongShot powder.
This is mine and may not work for anyone else!
Pistols are GLOCK's, 23 and 27.
I get the Magnus bullets from MidSouth Shooters Supply.

wnycollector
March 2, 2008, 06:45 AM
bestshotammo.com 180gr fmj $195/1000. The fmj would not be ideal for carry...for the range it is great!

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite .40 Range Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!