Is Stainless Soft?

PDA

Mauserguy
March 2, 2008, 01:46 AM
I recently purchased a Springfield Arsenal 1911 GI in stainless steel. The owners manual says not to release the slide on an empty chamber less the breach should be damaged. My colt, in carbon steel, did not have such a warning. Also it said to lubricate it more than carbon steel guns. Is stainless steel softer than carbon steel? Is special care really required on a stainless gun?
Mauserguy

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Stainless Soft?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
paperpuncher49
March 2, 2008, 08:02 AM
Stainless steel is softer than carbon steel, but it is more resistant to corrosion. Unfortunately, everything is a tradeoff. I would recommend you should follow the manufacturers recommendation, but I wouldn't be overly concerned. I don't relaese the slide on an empty chamber with any of my autos, regardless of their composition. IMO, doing so is not a good practice. However, it is likely going to happen occassionally (unintentionally).

1911 guy
March 2, 2008, 08:53 AM
One is a problem while the other isn't anymore.

Sear bounce happens when you let the slide run into battery with nothing to slow it down. This can cause the sear to bounce against the hammer and damage can occur, whether it's your Colt or your Springfield.

Galling used to be a broblem with stainless in autoloaders, but I believe the problem (related to nickel content, I think) was fixed a long time ago. The warnings are likely to be more of a CYA thing for the manufacturer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Stainless Soft?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!