H&r 622

PDA

HB
March 4, 2008, 12:32 PM
I saw one of these recently. What is a fair price of one with a 2 1/2 inch barrel and a jeweled hammer. It looked like it was in decent condition, although the hammer probably isn't factory jeweled. Looks like it might be more fun to carry in a holster than my heavy and long barreled Buckmark when out in the woods

Thanks,
HB

If you enjoyed reading about "H&r 622" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
telecaster1981
March 4, 2008, 09:25 PM
HB,

I think Blue Book on most of the H&R 622 (or 922) is usually below $100 unless the condition is perfect. Seems like the street price on a gently used H&R is somewhere between $100-$150. Incidentally, I picked up a 922 (9-shot version of the 622) today and I love it! Kind of ugly but it shoots quite well and it's perfect for packin' in the woods. In fact, it's already taken one possum out of the gene pool! I may be going back and buying a 622 at the same store. They're really quite decent and can be had at excellent prices. I say get it!

HB
March 4, 2008, 10:12 PM
That's what I wanted to hear! They are ugly little guns, and they look very similar to the blank/starter pistols that H&R/NEF makes today.:uhoh:

HB

Moonclip
March 5, 2008, 12:23 AM
Is the 622 the modern 922 in where the whole cylinder removes, not a swingout?

32 Magnum
March 5, 2008, 07:04 PM
The Model 622 was introduced in or about 1957 as the "low-end" .22 cal. in the H&R line-up. It is a 6 shot .22 (s, l or lr), solid frame, pull-pin for cylinder removal, DA/SA revolver. It continued in production up to the demise of H&R Inc. in 1986 and appears to have been fairly popular. Early production pieces had the "jeweled" hammer as a standard feature - so, yes, your piece is factory original. First variation pieces (circa 1957-72) were equipped with the "all-in-one" extraction system - a fitted insert in the cylinder which could be pushed out with the cylinder pin, when the cylinder was removed from the frame - ejecting all 6 spent casings at one time. They are found with White (early up to around 1965) or Black (1965 and later) "Tenite" grips. 1st Variation pieces have a hammer mounted firing pin - later models had the transfer bar ignition/safety system. They were offered with 2.5, 4 and 6 inch barrels, with a 10 inch barrel offered during a short period of time in the 1st Variation.
The Model 922 was introduced in or about 1925, and was a similar design to the 622 but chambered for 9 rounds of .22 (s, l or lr). The 922 was, also, a solid frame, DA/SA revolver with pull-pin cylinder removal (neither had a swing out cylinder - that feature is found on the Model 929).There are a whole bunch of variations and 3 models known for the 922.
Both models make great "plinking" guns - but it is rare to find one with any where near "target" accuracy. They are, first and foremost - utility grade, fun guns meant to be sold at moderate prices while offering solid construction, high durability and reasonable accuracy.
Retail valuations of the 622 are generally lower than for the 922. The early 922 has collectible value, whereas the 622 does not. Values quoted previously are accurate in today's market - except that early (pre 1942) 922 can reach $200 in excellent condition - for collectibility.
Jim Hauff

If you enjoyed reading about "H&r 622" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!