Got my LCP !!

PDA

Newton
March 4, 2008, 04:09 PM
Ok well I pick it up in about an hour.

This wasn't about me being the first, I'm just sick and tired of my P-3AT jamming and I need a new pocket carry gun fast.

Scottsdale Gun Club had exactly one in stock, and I was the first to call. They totally hosed me on the price, but on a $300 gun all things are relative, I ended up paying $329 plus tax (over the phone).

Can't wait to get it, watching the clock right now.

Woohoo !!

If you enjoyed reading about "Got my LCP !!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
usp9
March 4, 2008, 04:11 PM
Full report due within 48 hours.

denfoote
March 4, 2008, 04:28 PM
Scottsdale Gun Club had exactly one in stock, and I was the first to call. They totally hosed me on the price, but on a $300 gun all things are relative, I ended up paying $329 plus tax (over the phone).

I'm not surprised!! :scrutiny:
Anything with the word "Scottsdale" included in the name carries an automatic "Hey, we're in Scottsdale and we're way cooler than everybody else" surcharge!! :evil:

That's why I try to buy my firearms related stuff in Podunk places like Phoenix, Avondale, Glendale, or Mesa. ;)

Let us know how she works!! :D

Anna's Dad
March 4, 2008, 04:39 PM
Naaa, that's the "I've got to be the first kid on the block with an LCP" surcharge!

PX15
March 4, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hey, I quit worrying about paying a little "extra" for something I want that is new and hard to get..

I did the same thing with my recently purchased Walther PPS and didn't regret it for a minute.

Just enjoy your new pistol..

Best Wishes,

JP

archigos
March 4, 2008, 05:17 PM
I'll be honest, I'm quite impressed with how quickly Ruger has pumped those and the SR9s into the market. Most of the shops around here already have them on hand, unlike a lot of other manufacturers' new products.

lee n. field
March 4, 2008, 05:29 PM
So they're out in the real world. I think I'll give MC Sports a jingle this weekend.

Pics, and a full report, por favor.

Mike J
March 4, 2008, 05:32 PM
Congrats Newton, Please give us a range report

armoredman
March 4, 2008, 05:34 PM
Saw an SR9 in a pawn shop, of all places. Didn't fit me very well, too bad.
Enjoy, and please tell us all about it!

GunNut
March 4, 2008, 05:53 PM
Tag for pics and range report.

Spyvie
March 4, 2008, 06:46 PM
Gongats on the new Ruger, lets us know how it shoots. I may decide I want one more than I want my NAA Guardian .380

Anything with the word "Scottsdale" included in the name carries an automatic "Hey, we're in Scottsdale and we're way cooler than everybody else" surcharge!!
Believe it or not, I grew up (my junior high and high school years anyway) in a south Scottsdale HUD housing project. It's not ALL hoitsy-toitsy...

Norm357
March 4, 2008, 08:25 PM
Tag for pics and range report.:neener:

outerlimit
March 4, 2008, 08:37 PM
I was impressed with that video someone posted where they were just pulling random ones from the line and firing them with no malfunctions.

Bullet
March 4, 2008, 09:20 PM
RANGE REPORT, RANGE REPORT, RANGE REPORT. Did I say RANGE REPORT. Please.

outerlimit
March 5, 2008, 01:07 AM
The Kel-Tec zip-gun fanbois have been going berzerk lately. I love it.

Pilot
March 5, 2008, 06:02 AM
RANGE REPORT, RANGE REPORT, RANGE REPORT. Did I say RANGE REPORT. Please.

X2....Plus pics!!!

Pa.Bill
March 5, 2008, 06:49 AM
GOOD LUCK with the LCP-------------------

Is Ruger recommending a certain kind of ammo???

J Lambs
March 5, 2008, 08:41 AM
I contacted gunsource.com, where I have one preordered, yesterday. They said that they do not have an ETA for shipping on the LCP yet. I am getting anxious. It is starting to get warmer here and this will be my warm weather carry.

Newton
March 5, 2008, 10:01 AM
Okay, so I picked it up at around 5pm last night, the salesman wasn't sure how many they had originally received, but mine was the last out the door.

I wanted to shoot it right there and then, but I always break a gun down and clean it first, you never know what you might find.

First things first, I haven't posted pictures before, if there's an easy way let me know, otherwise maybe I could mail them to someone.

First impressions - this thing oozes quality compared to my P-3AT, and feels noticeably heavier in the hand. Size wise it seems to be just a hair longer than the Kel-Tec, but here's the surprise, the grip is significantly shorter. Just for kicks I carefully slid a P-3AT mag into the LCP's mag well and lo and behold it fits and locked into place !! albeit with about a quarter inch of mag sticking out below the bottom of the grip.

Having a slide hold open is nice, but it's a pity it doesn't lock back on empty, this slide catch is strictly for manual use only.

Disassembly is exactly like the P-3AT (surprise, surprise) and I hate having to pry out the retaining pin as it's difficult to avoid scratching the frame. Once taken apart the first thing that struck me was that dual recoil spring seems much higher quality than the one in the KT which looks like it came out of a ballpoint pen, and the second was the bad news - after just a few rounds of factory test firing, the frame is peening at the lower right side rear as you look down on the frame. A burr had developed and silver metal is clearly visible. Once again this is identical to my P-3AT which also quickly developed the same thing in the same place, but it never got any worse, so I'm obviously hoping for the same thing.

Hope to shoot it this weekend, I'll post the results, good or bad.

Dgreno
March 5, 2008, 10:37 AM
Wow. I just called a dealer to see if they had it and was told that Kel-tec is making them for Ruger!

alamo
March 5, 2008, 12:18 PM
Wow. I just called a dealer to see if they had it and was told that Kel-tec is making them for Ruger!

Your dealer is badly misinformed.

kokapelli
March 5, 2008, 01:22 PM
I decided long ago to never again ask a gun store employee any questions, because they are generally the most opinionated and worst informed people I have ever dealt with.:rolleyes:

archigos
March 5, 2008, 02:35 PM
Most dealers I've talked to will talk just to sound knowledgeable, even if they are clueless. That being said, I've managed to find one reliable gun shop owner in my area, and, as with anybody, have to take his advice with a grain of salt and shop around for opinions.

foghornl
March 5, 2008, 02:58 PM
I had been giving strong consideration to a Bersa Thunder .380, but this new Ruger has caught my attention.

Once a few more of them get out into circulation, I'll give one a try.

austin360
March 5, 2008, 03:30 PM
I have one on order at a gun shop here a in Austin. I hope they show up soon!

Rustynuts
March 5, 2008, 06:24 PM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/Krustyboomer/rlee.gif

stevereno1
March 5, 2008, 06:40 PM
Congrats! Thank you for making the world a safer place to live in! Now get to packing!!!

stevereno1
March 5, 2008, 06:52 PM
If the new ruger autos perform as good as the past ones, it will be a gre..., go.., fi.., decent pistol!

tblt
March 5, 2008, 08:15 PM
please comare it to your kel tec for all of us.I have been waiting I almost bought a kel tec but wanted to wait for the lcp

Lobotomy Boy
March 6, 2008, 12:01 AM
I stopped in a local gunshop to see if they were in and the hammerhead working there had never heard of it. He said, get this, "I don't see why anyone would need a pocket pistol anyway." I suspect that if I repeated that to the store's owner, this young halfwit would soon need to find another part-time job.

MikePGS
March 6, 2008, 12:23 AM
To post a picture, follow these instructions:
1. Open an account at a free image service, such as photobucket.com
2. It will give you an area as to where you may browse through your hard drive and upload a picture from it.
3. On Photobucket, they give you a series of trectangular boxes underneath the picture you have uploaded. Find the one that says IMG Code (The one on the bottom) and copy it. Then Paste it into your post wherever you would like it to appear.
Hope that helps.

Feanaro
March 6, 2008, 02:49 AM
Having a slide hold open is nice, but it's a pity it doesn't lock back on empty, this slide catch is strictly for manual use only.

Ouch. Ruger is trying to steal Kel-Tec's thunder by nicking their gun and they can't even be arsed to add any real improvements. Heartless man, heartless. :evil:

(The lack of a slide stop doesn't make the P3AT hard to take down. Just push the slide back a bit and pull the pin. It's the recoil spring flying all over the room that bugs me... which the LCP probably still has.)

yhtomit
March 6, 2008, 10:56 AM
Well, you beat MSRP by one dollar -- that's a dollar to invest in something else ;)

timothy

austin360
March 6, 2008, 11:55 AM
The gun shop in Austin said they will price them "a little under $300".

DAdams
March 6, 2008, 08:47 PM
86000 more shooters going after .380 as if it isn't already scarce and expensive enough. :cuss::D

bladecp
March 6, 2008, 08:52 PM

Me, too. :cool:

gunmn74
March 6, 2008, 08:59 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/20061f.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/raagsz.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/jql01v.jpg

bladecp
March 6, 2008, 09:02 PM
Looks VERY nice! That grip looks comfy, too. I MUCH prefer that proper extractor set up over the wing-ding stoopid P3AT external leaf spring cobbled together with some hex bolt chewing gum and bailing wire approach. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these Kel-Tec Krushers.;)

cornman
March 6, 2008, 09:06 PM
$329? I have been seeing pre-orders for $259 on the net.

lee n. field
March 6, 2008, 09:11 PM
86000 more shooters going after .380 as if it isn't already scarce and expensive enough.

<shrug> I've got ~500 rounds of Winchester Silvertip, sitting unused since I haven't shot my .380 Mak in about 5 years. :)

Also, it's time for me to order out a mold for those itty bitty bullets ....

Newton
March 6, 2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks for helping me out with the photo posting Mike.

Funny how much bigger my LCP looks in the photos, it really is tiny.

The interesting shot is the slide hold open. If you look closely, you can see the frame peening I mentioned it's directly under the extractor in the photo.

Francoshoots
March 7, 2008, 05:29 AM
CORNMAN,
where on the net for $259?

Francoshoots
March 7, 2008, 05:32 AM
Found a place on the net for pre-order at $255
http://www.rugerlcp.com/item/76836__LCP_380_Auto_275_.aspx

kokapelli
March 7, 2008, 08:29 AM
bladecp
Looks VERY nice! That grip looks comfy, too. I MUCH prefer that proper extractor set up over the wing-ding stoopid P3AT external leaf spring cobbled together with some hex bolt chewing gum and bailing wire approach. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these Kel-Tec Krushers.
Me, too.
Exactly the kind of thing I'd expect to hear from a gun store clerk!

Have you heard of any kind of problem with the P-3AT extractor?
KelTec used the same type of extractor on the 1st gen 380, that Ruger is using, but improved on it with the leaf spring extractor they are now using.

There probably wouldn't even be a Ruger 380 if KelTec didn't design it for them.

alamo
March 7, 2008, 09:04 AM

Me, too.

I MUCH prefer that proper extractor set up over the wing-ding stoopid P3AT external leaf spring cobbled together with some hex bolt chewing gum and bailing wire approach. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these Kel-Tec Krushers.

Is it possible to discuss the merits of this new pistol without all this childishness?

Newton
March 7, 2008, 09:55 AM
Come on guys, this is the High Road not Glock Talk.

kingpin008
March 7, 2008, 10:41 AM
Come on guys, this is the High Road not Glock Talk.

Zing!:D

ElrodCod
March 7, 2008, 12:42 PM
My CLP only costs twelve bucks a bottle.:evil:

bladecp
March 7, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hi, alamo. Who let you out of KTOG? ;)

MICHAEL T
March 7, 2008, 12:46 PM
after just a few rounds of factory test firing, the frame is peening at the lower right side rear as you look down on the frame. A burr had developed and silver metal is clearly visible.

Can't be its a RUGER not a KT. My 3 KT's have never showned this trouble. Must be a Ruger thing:D

bladecp
March 7, 2008, 12:48 PM
Yup, the P3ATs peen, too. Both of mine did it in the exact same spot opposite the ejector. It stopped after a while and I cleaned it up. Never seemed to affect function as they jammed just as much afterwards as before. :rolleyes:

Newton
March 7, 2008, 03:15 PM
Yup, the P3ATs peen, too. Never seemed to affect function as they jammed just as much afterwards as before.

Now I don't care who you are, that's funny right there :D:D

bladecp
March 7, 2008, 03:21 PM
Funny, but true... Git-R-Dun!

cornman
March 7, 2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah, that is it.

http://www.rugerlcp.com/item/76836__...Auto_275_.aspx

Although I saw another place advertising under $250

K40
March 7, 2008, 11:27 PM
What is the blue strip? A loaded chamber indicator? Actually doesn't look to bad overall. Hope the peening isn't serious, was this of major concern to Kel-Tec owners? Was considering a Kel-Tec, but if the ruger is reliable I will pick one up.

Bullet
March 7, 2008, 11:46 PM
What is the blue strip?

I believe he's covering the serial number.

K40
March 8, 2008, 12:02 AM
Of course! Doh! Thanks..

lee n. field
March 10, 2008, 12:21 PM
I'm just sick and tired of my P-3AT jamming

I'll give you $50 for it. :evil:

jocko
March 12, 2008, 06:51 PM
that is not really peening, that is a burr caused by kt and I guess Even ruger leaving that little area in the frame and it doesn't need to be there. My kt did that right from the git go and after a few 100 round,s I filed that burr off and it never got any worse. The shell casing is what is hitting it. IMO should have been designed out of the Ruger but again serves no purpose either way. I guess you could call it peening, but the peening we had on the kt's was in the slide , where the entire recoil spring assembly would shoot out the front of the slide due to peening and to thin in that area. If that is the worst the Ruger shows, then indeed it is good to go. time will tell.. but that area you are talkin g about absolutley does not hinder the funtioning of the gun either, and if it doesn 't go bang every time, then well you know.

jocko
March 12, 2008, 07:15 PM
KEL-TEC HAD ALOT OF ISSUE WITH THAT CHEAP LOOKING LEAF SPRING EXTRACTOR. From a flimsy soft buttonhead screw with a allen socket that stripped out after the first time, to the screw itself being battered to hell by the firing pin, to just bad extractors. I had at one time 3 extractors in my parts box that were all different lenghts and kt said no way we only make one extractor length. Others had the same thing. They have since gotten that issue worked out pretty well, but I will take the ol traditional Ruger extractor system anyday. It not only looks better, but IMO works better. Some of the posters here are some of the same who post all the time on the kt board, I used to post there but just got tired of reading all the issues with the kt's and hearing the same ol same ol. "not a gun that you can shoot much. " did you do the fluff and buff??? Buy two of them, that way you will always have one to shoot while the other is back at the factory etc. The peeing on the right side of the frame is indicative of every kt 380 that i know of. If one isn't
getting any of that wear in that area. #1, He hasn't shot it much, #2, it has been filed down. Every 380 kt that I have seen that has had any rounds through it at all shows this one area of wear and IT DOESN'T EFFECT the reliability of the kt in anyway either.. and basically stops after a few hundred roumnds..

jocko
March 12, 2008, 07:42 PM
ur commet cracked me up. It was not the peening that caused it, for sure. I don't have to explain it to you either. LOL:):)

jocko
March 12, 2008, 07:54 PM
$329 out the door is not that bad, I am sure later on down the road when they become more available they will settle down to the 255 to 275 range but remember the PT Cruiser when they first came out. yup really remember back in the mid 90"s when you couldn't find a harley on any dealers floor and if you did it was usually marked up 10% at least. If you didn't want it they didnt care as there was always someone coming through the door that had to have it now and was willing to pay for it. I am going to the Indy 15oo gun show this weekend and I expcet to see the lcp there and would be very suprised to see it much under $300.

One thing you can say that I can't is that YOU HAVE ONE:banghead::banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Got my LCP !!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!