Save Yourself The Hassel ( & The Wasted Money ) Buy The Leather Holster First.

PDA

Treo
March 4, 2008, 05:01 PM
I am looking at a pile of nylon holsters I bought for CC. 3 clip ons, 1 shoulder holster that might actually work if I ever have to wear a suit, but which I will probably never wear. And 2 Kydex models . They are. a Gunmate™ clip on 18.00$ Ambi holster™ shoulder holster 25.00$ Uncle Mike's™ 15.00$ & a Fobus™ OWB that I paid 25.00$ for plus an AMS™ (12.00$) that isn't a TOTAL waste because I use it to store my RIA in the safe. And finally another Uncle Mike's™ kydex IWB that cost 25.00$ .Total price 120.00$ . All for the same gun each one was gonna be the last & I spent all that money trying to avoid spending 67.89 $ for a leather IWB (Galco) with belt ties that actually stays where I put it. ( just like all of you told me it would)

Bottom line if you're a new CCW guy and you want to save a buck or two Go buy the 60.00$ leather holster to begin with. you'll be glad you did

If you enjoyed reading about "Save Yourself The Hassel ( & The Wasted Money ) Buy The Leather Holster First." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bluez4u
March 4, 2008, 06:16 PM
A nice leather is the way to go.....

NWdude83
March 4, 2008, 06:47 PM
cough*Kydex*cough

armoredman
March 4, 2008, 07:10 PM
Leather is better.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/smithelegance2.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/PICT0242.jpg

The Lone Haranguer
March 4, 2008, 10:04 PM
While I like to get good stuff cheap as much as the next guy, spending 25% of the cost of your gun on a good carry system (mind you, this is the holster, belt and spare ammo carrier) is money well spent and will cost you less in the long run.

the naked prophet
March 5, 2008, 12:24 PM
I agree, leather is better. I may be a bit biased:

http://web.mst.edu/~ikellogg/Holsters/G17horse.jpg

http://web.mst.edu/~ikellogg/Holsters/G26megmag.jpg

http://web.mst.edu/~ikellogg/Holsters/J%20tuckable.jpg

http://web.mst.edu/~ikellogg/Holsters/M&P%20folder%20front.jpg

/shameless self-promotion

go_bang
March 5, 2008, 08:18 PM
I must be weird. All of my holsters are the cheap nylon stuff and I'm happy witb them.

teknoid
March 5, 2008, 08:26 PM
I'm glad I didn't make that mistake. I've only bought one cheap holster, and that was for my truck gun. Leather is the way to go.
I've been lucky, too. I don't even have a "holster box" full of unusable refuse.

PTK
March 5, 2008, 10:58 PM
While I do have some DeSantis leather holsters, my favorite by far are still my Blade-Tech holsters. They're polymer, but quality is on par with good leather holsters and I don't have to worry about getting them wet (sweat) or having trouble holstering/drawing while they "break in" like leather needs to.

NWdude83
March 6, 2008, 03:54 AM
In my personal opinion leather is old school. Kydex is the future. I'm not saying leather isn't good. I'm just saying Kydex is like polymer pistols.

Caimlas
March 6, 2008, 05:35 AM
Cheaply made, overpriced, ugly, and uncomfortable, you mean? :P

*ducks*

Feanaro
March 6, 2008, 06:08 AM
Some of us are a little... curvy. Kydex does not like curves. Kydex is hard. I am soft. I bend. Kydex does not.

Phelptwan
March 6, 2008, 07:48 AM
I've only picked up one cheap holster for range duty (fobus) then my other two are for open carry and concealed (desantis and Milt Sparks).

The Lone Haranguer
March 6, 2008, 01:33 PM
I personally don't care for a hard Kydex holster in my waistband. The one I have is much less comfortable than the Galco Royal Guard for the same gun.

Treo
March 6, 2008, 02:44 PM
I tried the kydex & it didn't work for me.

Also my ccw is a CZ75B in .40 a it seems no one actually makes a holster for them. The holster I ended up W/ was actually a summer comfort for a Sig-Sauer P-226.

PS I AM old school

The Lone Haranguer
March 6, 2008, 02:50 PM
Also my ccw is a CZ75B in .40 a it seems no one actually makes a holster for them. The holster I ended up W/ was actually a summer comfort for a Sig-Sauer P-226.
That is very interesting. I find my PCR compact to fit nicely in a Summer Comfort for a P228/9.

NWdude83
March 6, 2008, 04:04 PM
I couldn't find a leather IWB holster that I actually wanted for less than $100.

Treo
March 6, 2008, 04:37 PM
QUOTE: " I couldn't find a leather IWB holster that I actually wanted for less than $100."

Which ( in my case) would have still been a 20$ savings

NWdude83
March 6, 2008, 04:41 PM
It was closer to $125 I think.

Treo
March 6, 2008, 04:47 PM
when you add the 120 I spent on nylon to the 68.00$ I spent when I came to my senses I still came out ahead

Its your money you want kydex, buy kydex

Nightwing
March 18, 2008, 09:37 PM
Yes. I will be buying a full in the pant paddle holster for comforts sake molded to contour the hip, as soon as I get my CCW.
This is the same concept as the people that drop 1500 bucks on an AR-15 and buy the cheapest bulk ammo they can find online. If the gun was worth it, the accessories and ammo are worth it too.

The Bushmaster
March 19, 2008, 12:50 PM
I have two concealed carry holsters at present. The rest I either wore out or just plain tossed. My two holsters are; for summer carry: A Kramer Leather. And for winter carry: A Kellogg Leather. I like them both...

Myrdhyn
March 21, 2008, 02:43 PM
For those saying Kydex is better: Agreed

For those saying leather is more comfortable: Agreed

The solution: Crossbreed IWB or Crossbreed Supertuck. The comfort of leather but the benefits of Kydex. I will probably never buy any other holster unless I need an OWB holster for some reason.

Black Majik
March 21, 2008, 04:30 PM
If you're gonna get Kydex, get Kydex. Not the injection molded stuff. Get good quality Kydex like Bladetech, Kytac, or Comptac.

If you go leather, you can't skimp out either. Go Milt Sparks, Alessi, Del Fatti etc.

Cheap holster is a cheap holster is a cheap holster. Regardless of material.

Treo
August 8, 2008, 09:06 PM
Bump bumpity bump bump bump

kamagong
August 12, 2008, 02:46 PM
I don't carry, but I bought a Rafters OWB holster for my 1911 just in case. I also bought a two-mag pouch. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it (one of the many reasons why I hate moving).

MJRW
August 15, 2008, 04:35 PM
Leather rules. Kydex...drools?

rondog
August 15, 2008, 05:17 PM
I can't stand nylon or plastic. Sharp edges and nylon seams digging into my blubber sucks and drives me crazy.

NG VI
August 18, 2008, 01:35 PM
I am starting to really love kydex, it all started when I got my cheap ($40) FIST IWB for my Glock 27this February/March. I immediately noticed how it was head and shoulders above the other holsters I had for my other guns, and I noticed how it, despite its ugliness, was very quick to draw and reholster, and also retained the gun better than my other holsters.

Now I have a Com-Tac M.T.A.C. that came in the mail not too long ago, and it is impressing me with how overwhelmingly brilliant it is. I bought it for a USP 40, and it also fits my FNP9-m and CZ 40B just about perfectly, though sometimes the CZ has a weird tendency to hang up when drawing. FNP is a perfect fit though. I also have another pair of FIST holsters on the way, a pocket holster for the Glock and a much higher level of kydex IWB with a bunch of accessories and attachments for my CZ PCR.

I just like the way Kydex holds them in, how easy and quick both the draw and reholster are, and how it feels easier on the finish than the tight leather holsters I have tried are.

Ske1etor
August 18, 2008, 02:28 PM
No, save yourself the hassle and purchase a QUALITY holster first... This isn't about Kydex or Leather... I have owned some Kydex holsters that will put a cheaply made leather holster down.

Buy Quality. For Kydex, stick with Comp-Tac... Leather... well there are too many to list.

Euclidean
August 25, 2008, 03:36 AM
I agree it's about quality. Sometimes though you can find something that's works for your unique needs that's not very expensive.

I have for instance a G Code holster. Yeah, it's injection molding. But for the purpose, it worked very well for me. Ditto on a Don Hume slide holster I have.

That said 98% of the time I carry in a Comp Tac Infidel.

DawgFvr
August 25, 2008, 02:30 PM
Funny...I started out with fine leather holsters...and now carry in the most comfortable/thinnest holster around IMHO: MTAC...which has the comfort of leather against skin and the quick presentation with thin Kydex.

My next holster will be another hybrid: Tucker's "The Answer" for my .357 mag revovler.

I don't think I can ever go back to just plain ol' thick leather.

Treo
August 26, 2008, 02:51 AM
I think Ske1etor hit the nail on the head. It's really not a leather thing it's a quality thing

If you enjoyed reading about "Save Yourself The Hassel ( & The Wasted Money ) Buy The Leather Holster First." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!