Biggest handgun disappointment.

PDA

Pages : [1] 2

FRT007
March 5, 2008, 06:30 PM
The Glock 37/38 in .45 GAP. I waited for years to see a Glock with a 4 to 4.5 inch bbl, 8 to 10 rounds in the mag, and chambered for the .45 ACP!

What's yours?

If you enjoyed reading about "Biggest handgun disappointment." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Okiecruffler
March 5, 2008, 06:44 PM
Ever since I was old enough to know what a pistol was I wanted a Charter arms Explorer pistol. Finally I found one and traded my always faithful Pheonix HP22 for it. It was terrible. Refused to feed no matter what I fed it. Bought new mags, that didn't help. When it did shoot I was lucky to put 2 shots in the same zip code. I'm sure there are good Explorers out there, but that soured me on ever getting another one.

bannockburn
March 5, 2008, 08:25 PM
Kahr CW40.
I thought that I had found the perfect CCW. Lightweight, easy to conceal, great ergonomics, DAO, and in a decent caliber.
But there were too many quality control issues; starting with the barrel which looked like an unfinished casting, the polymer frame that was coming apart in rather large pieces, and ending with the gun turning itself into a single shot pistol, by way of the slide stop engaging after every shot. Definitely a very big disappointment.

lee n. field
March 5, 2008, 08:30 PM
Ever since I was old enough to know what a pistol was I wanted a Charter arms Explorer pistol. Finally I found one and traded my always faithful Pheonix HP22 for it. It was terrible. Refused to feed no matter what I fed it

I could-a told you that. Big, ungainly, no real point to it being made, and the parent design was not know for reliability. It's only plus is it's vague resemblance to a broomhandle Mauser.

brett30030
March 5, 2008, 09:37 PM
Walther p-22, it is someone else's biggest disappointment now!

Ceemack
March 5, 2008, 09:39 PM
Ruger Redhawk. Horrible balance, gawd-awful trigger, ridiculously poor accuracy, poor reliability (which is really hard to do on a DA revolver).

Maybe another trip back to Ruger will help.

Never should have sold my old Dan Wesson 744. It was ten times the gun the Redhawk is.

steelyblue
March 5, 2008, 09:48 PM
Glock 30. I just did not like shooting it.

wyocarp
March 5, 2008, 11:39 PM
Taurus Judge is the only pistol I have ever bought that I wish I hadn't.

WoofersInc
March 6, 2008, 12:16 AM
Since I had to register it as a handgun I guess it would qualify. My Bushmaster AR Pistol. Thing jams more than it shoots. Extractor broke on it leading to an accidental discharge. I barely even try to shoot the thing anymore.

KodeFore
March 6, 2008, 01:41 AM
I bought this because I wanted a 9mm it looked very similar to my Glock 22 in design and the grips ergonomics are actually far better than the glock unfortunatly accuracy is very lacking. It is it interesting to note that my wife, who is not into firearms seemed to think the 9mm sigma kicked harder than the G22 in 40. For the price ( 250) it was a reasonable deal.

nero45acp
March 6, 2008, 05:07 AM
S&W made PPK....Fritz Walther has got to be spinning in his grave over how S&W "improved" the PPK.:eek:

Dishonorable Mention: Kimber Stainless Target II 9mm

nero

Treo
March 6, 2008, 11:40 AM
First handgun I ever owned, looked nice , concealed well, I liked the safety and I couldn't hit a barn at 3 paces W/ it I gave it away many,many moons ago.

Other than that I bought a POS Llama wannabe 1911 at about the same time. thanks to that gun (literally FELL APART in my hand while firing) the word Llama is SYNONIMOUS W/ P.O.S in my mind

Also gave that one away ( to someone I didn't like)

The_woodsman
March 6, 2008, 12:25 PM
Trading my beloved Llama model XV pistol for an old-style ruger 22/45. The llama was far more accurate and you could throw it in a pocket. I thought the longer barrel of the ruger would make the pistol more accurate. I thought wrong. That llama was probably the most practical pistol I ever owned. :cuss:

They are 3x more expensive now than they were when I bought mine.

Titan6
March 6, 2008, 12:27 PM
Heritage Arms .22/22M. Must admit my expectations were low to start with though.

Markbo
March 6, 2008, 12:30 PM
Every .25 ACP I have ever shot.

gcrookston
March 6, 2008, 12:32 PM
There haven't been many...
Walther P.22 -- ftf, three trips to the factory for repairs
Sig Mosquito -- Trigger pull like an lazy spaniel on a long leash

XDKingslayer
March 6, 2008, 02:40 PM
Taurus PT-138 Millenium Pro in .380. Complete heapacrap.

dhoomonyou
March 6, 2008, 02:44 PM
KIMBER pro carry 2.

barrel rusted after I had it for 3 weeks.

problems jamming, FTF, FTE, it had the new and improved external extractor.

BIG problems dealing with KIMBER cust svc (dennis), not very helpful, attitude was "blame the victim".

took a loss on selling that POS.
chalk it up to experience, call it education.

hawkeb
March 6, 2008, 03:04 PM
I would have to say the Sig P6/225. I have had a sig P228 for over 10 years and have been hearing how great the P6 is. I finally found one at my local shop and I was very disappointed by the way it felt. I just didn't do anything for me. Guess I am just going to have to get me another 228 some time.

jr45
March 6, 2008, 03:10 PM
+1 on the Heritage Arms .22/22M.

Deer Hunter
March 6, 2008, 03:20 PM
What do you guys have against Heritage Arms .22/.22M?

I bought one from a guy who needed the cash for 70 dollars. Shot fine, is pretty accurate, etc. I sold it to my sister for 80 bucks because she really wanted it. It's still trucking along.

jr45
March 6, 2008, 03:25 PM
For about $190.00 that I paid for it, I am a bit disappointed. Now, if I could have bought for only $70.00...:)

Lucky Strike
March 6, 2008, 05:19 PM
"Ruger Redhawk. Horrible balance, gawd-awful trigger, ridiculously poor accuracy, poor reliability (which is really hard to do on a DA revolver)."

Really? I was always under the impression that Ruger revolvers were outstanding in the reliability department (i'm not doubting that you got a bad one).

I've got two, Single Six and GP100 and love both, no problems with either one, getting a Redhawk next....hoping to continue to have good luck

Titan6
March 6, 2008, 06:29 PM
What do you guys have against Heritage Arms .22/.22M?

I paid too much also ($130 NIB I think). Mine was all over the map at about a foot at ten feet. Now that is a big pain right out of the box. Had lock up problems as well. New guns should not have issues. Sometimes they do, but these seem more prone to them. I was also disappointed in the power of the .22M. Guess that was a function of the round and being a revolver more than the gun itself,

AtticusThraxx
March 6, 2008, 08:09 PM
Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Worst P.O.S. I've have ever owned or fired and I own a Jennings .22 and a Raven .25 !

Neener Neener
March 6, 2008, 08:21 PM
Para 14.45.....Bang, jam, bang, jam, bang, jam, repeat. 2 trips to the factory, no fix. I couldn't wait to unload that thing.

Phydeaux642
March 6, 2008, 08:54 PM
Well, how about another one for the Walther P22. I believed the hype.:banghead:

"Phydeaux, bad dog....no biscuit!"

tblt
March 6, 2008, 09:02 PM
Rg model 39 38 special.Missfire's 2 out of 6 rounds in double action.Single action ok.Only paid 25 bucks what could I expect

Brian Williams
March 6, 2008, 09:07 PM
Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 45 colt

lechiffre
March 7, 2008, 12:42 AM
for me it is my walther p99 40s&w. i shot the 9mm loved it. then decided i had too many 9mms and got the 40. big mistake. then i did the same thing with an fn hi power(second most disappointing).

samurai
March 7, 2008, 08:37 AM
Taurus PT145. Light stikes and FTF.

hillbenny
March 7, 2008, 11:22 AM
Springfield XD V10 9mm, wouldnt go one complete mag without jamming,
took it back to the shop and traded it in on Glock 17,
in long guns it would be Remington 522 viper, thought it would be good small game and plinking gun,worst trigger i ever tried to shoot, reciever so soft the scope wouldnt stay in one place, and magazine that was way to long .sold it for a loss and felt like i got the best of the deal just to be rid of it.

Darthbauer
March 7, 2008, 11:26 AM
I guess my 220. I just dont like shooting it. It makes me miss my USP.

Ceemack
March 7, 2008, 01:52 PM
Really? I was always under the impression that Ruger revolvers were outstanding in the reliability department (i'm not doubting that you got a bad one).
Hence my disappointment.

Now, when the problem first cropped up I sent it back to Ruger. They replaced a couple of parts, but the very next shooting session I had the same issue. So did a detail strip and found a missing part--the cylinder yoke has a ball bearing on each side, and they'd apparently installed only one at the factory. Ruger's service department hadn't discovered this when I sent it back the first time.

So I called Ruger to set up a return. The girl I spoke to scolded me--actually scolded me--for completely disassembling the gun.

I'd like to buy a couple more Rugers, but that depends on how well they respond when I send the gun back.

But I deeply regret buying the Redhawk. Even setting the jams aside, it's not much of a gun.

Pilot
March 7, 2008, 02:03 PM
S&W 915 for me also. I couldn't hit anything with it either. It really soured me on S&W autos which I am sure is not fair, but I'd much rather have a CZ or other brand.

That being said. The CZ-52 was a big dissapointment, but you have to cut it some slack because it was a surplus pistol. After great satisfaction with many Maks, CZ-75's, etc the 52 just didn't cut it for me. I hated the grip angle and ergos in general and it was unreliable and inaccurate. Interesting design, but not for me.

Lucky Strike
March 7, 2008, 02:25 PM
well thanks for putting some doubt into my head :banghead: :p

I was all set on the Redhawk for my .44 revolver needs

Factfind
March 7, 2008, 10:45 PM
My recently aquired (new), Ed Brown Kobra carry.
At that price I expected a pistol that had the rear sight attached to the gun. This business of a "slip fit" to personalize the rear sight is absurd. The gun sights should be properly fitted and test fired for accuracy at the point of manufacture.

I have "Loctited" the sight and now its secure..for the moment and accurate.

The Lone Haranguer
March 7, 2008, 11:21 PM
Biggest disappointment? I would have to go with the SIG-Sauer GSR Revolution Carry (a 1911 analogous in size and weight to the Colt Combat Commander). It malfunctioned on the second shot I ever fired through it, broke an extractor, then spat firing pin safety parts out. To their credit, they paid for all the shipping back and forth, eventually replacing the gun without my having to ask for it. But then the replacement broke. :rolleyes:

It had a lot going for it - beautiful external fit and finish, checkered frontstrap and most of the other "bells and whistles" you find on custom jobs, nice trigger, good accuracy (when it functioned), etc. I had hoped the quality of the older German-made P-series would carry over. I knew going in about the odd slide shape that prevented it from fitting in most holsters and would have obtained a custom holster for it. But, although the bugs seem to be out of the replacement, it is on consignment at a local shop. I am just unable to find a reason for its existence.

drtworks
March 7, 2008, 11:29 PM
Springfield 1911 Commander .45. Couldn't hit a thing, jammed all the time, terrible trigger. Traded it straight across for a Beretta 92. Best deal I ever made.

XD-40 Shooter
March 7, 2008, 11:38 PM
Ruger P-94 in 40 S&W. Heavy, clunky, gritty trigger, and not very accurate. I traded this turd on a Springfield XD and never looked back, XD rocks.:D

rockinrussky
March 7, 2008, 11:58 PM
380 Jennings that I shot but DO NOT own. I don't care how cheap those things are cause it felt heavy, clunky, and the recoil was abysmal for such a small cartridge. Heck, I'd take a deringer over that any day.

Dishonorable mention goes to a Taurus 22 revolver. You could not hit the broadside of a barn from within the barn with that sorry excuse of a firearm.

Hunter0924
March 8, 2008, 03:46 AM
I would not discount the Ruger revolvers just yet.
I am sure there is the bad one now and then but the vast majority are good to go.
Ruger makes a fine revolver.

jakeswensonmt
March 8, 2008, 03:01 PM
Taurus 24/7 pro 9mm.
This pistol had so much going for it, I really wanted to like this gun, but it was inaccurate to the point of disbelief, and Taurus wasn't inclined to fix it.

JustinL
March 8, 2008, 10:27 PM
Colt Army Special 32WCF.

It wasn't the weapon's fault, but my own poor judgement. I saw it in a dark pawn shop all dirty. Its mechanics were sound and I thought if I just cleaned it up it would look much better. Nope.

To make matters worse it was still overpriced for its condition even after talking the price down by 1/3.

I've learned my lesson.

Deadheadted37
March 8, 2008, 11:08 PM
Glock 22

One of my friends offered to sell me his Glock 22 for a great price so I shot a few hundred rounds threw it and didn't like it. I really wanted to like it but it just didn't fit my hand so I had to pass.

riceboy72
March 9, 2008, 01:02 AM
I'll be honest and say my Glock 23 has been a letdown. I think I was expecting it to be somewhat like my 19, and it's been everything but. Not too fond of how snappy it is to shoot, and I'm just not in love with it like I am the 19. I would not cry if I had to sold or traded it away.

Gun Slinger
March 9, 2008, 01:07 AM
P22.

Pot metal (Zinc alloy :barf: MIM) slide.

Need I say more?

Harry Paget Flashman
March 9, 2008, 01:53 AM
My biggest disappointment was my first handgun. It was a Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible. That was back in '72 before I learned about hearing protection. It was too much gun with too little grip. I used to take it hiking in California and hated carrying the extra 9mm cylinder and ammo.(Duh) It had a dangerously light hair trigger. Screws would fall out of it or need tightening every box of ammo. It was an ugly gun. It was unpredictable with my custom .357 reloads from my $10 Lee Loader. At least I was smart enough not to use Hercules Bullseye. I use Unique or 2400. I learned a lot from the experience.

loop
March 9, 2008, 08:48 AM
I'd have to say Glocks in general. The big selling points are reliability and accuracy.

After owning about a dozen I never had one that was 100 percent reliable that was as accurate as a target gun and vice versa.

Sold or traded near every one off at a loss.

Only one I really miss is the 10mm, but I don't think I ever got more than three rounds off from it without a tap, rack, slam...

Could be really good guns if they weren't made to furniture-quality standards. OTOH, then they'd cost $800 and wouldn't be competitive on the free market...

Kevin108
March 9, 2008, 10:18 AM
My SA GI I got a couple years ago was very picky about ammo. The only thing it seemed to feed truly reliably was reloads a guy at work made for me, but WWB was a close second. I ended up selling it along with the CTAC, the ammo I had for it, a 2nd set of grips and some other odds and ends for $400 and buying an ASUS Eee laptop.

Tom Fury
March 9, 2008, 12:04 PM
Glock 30: wanted to like it, but twisted in my hand when fired. I bought another one a couple years later thinking it was just me; it wasn't.
S&W CS45: made to be carried a lot and shot very little I guess; couldn't hit a thing with it, and I am experienced with one that small (Detonics MK VII).
Cheers, TF

1911 guy
March 9, 2008, 02:22 PM
Heard so much good stuff about Para, and from lots of people. Spent $600 plus on one. Pile of excrement. Poorly made, wouldn't feed, hammer followed. Called Para, they were willing to "look at it" if I sent it on my dime. I wrenched on it enough to make it safe and sold it at a loss. Won't own another Para Ordnance product if the company president gave it to me with a lifetime supply of ammo. Very disapointing.

03Shadowbob
March 9, 2008, 03:43 PM
Taurus PT140MilPro. I wanted to like it and it felt great in my hand but kept shooting the RSA through the slide.

Maia007
March 9, 2008, 04:25 PM
Great thread. Do tell.

Sorry, I can't add much. I have always tried to stick with designs that have been around for quite awhile and with higher quality makers.

I did have a 1980's Sig P230 that was nicely made and reliable and shot accurately enough for the breed, but I just didn't like it. It always just felt slide-heavy compared to the other pocket autos I have owned (Walther PP German, PPK/S German, Rem 51, Colt Pocket model, Savage 1917, Mauser HSc, FN Browning 1910).

Ethereal
March 9, 2008, 10:21 PM
..for me was an H&K USP .45. It had an LEM trigger, nights sights, and I paid $800 something after tax. Nothing more than a glorified Glock 21 with a heavier price tag. Apparently I do suck, and HK hates me!

guntotinguy
March 9, 2008, 10:34 PM
Taurus PT111,and such a major disappointment.

Had to have the gun repaired about 3 different times,and only put about 150 9mm rounds through it,although I generally like Taurus products,this one seemed to be a problem since purchase.

Sits in a lonely box,far away from the other guns...not allowed to go play at the range.

hanno
March 9, 2008, 10:46 PM
Ordered a Springfield Milspec at my local gunshop. When it arrived, I was underwhelmed with the fit and finish. The slide to frame fit was sloppy and there was a significant gap between the mainspring housing and the frame. I canceled the order and bought a DW instead.

Fat_Tony
March 9, 2008, 11:17 PM
For me, it's a tie:

1.) My S&W M&P 9mm. It doesn't run. I have had many FTF and FTE with it, including a bunch of double feeds. (So far, my best experience with it was the one magazine where I only experienced one stoppage. It is usually more like 6-8 per magazine). I had to order it, as they didn't have a M&P 9mm in the shop. I didn't notice before I left with it that when a mag is seated in the magwell, if you press on the magazine's base pad just a little bit, you can rock the magazine back and forth. Also, the slide has not once locked back when the magazine is empty.

2.) When I was young and dumb (mid-90's), I purchased a LaserAim Series II in .45 ACP. It broke after about 220 rounds. (It was only about $ 225.00, and I figured, how bad can it be for that price?)

Question for Brian Williams:

What didn't you like about your Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 45 colt?

Jubjub
March 9, 2008, 11:19 PM
Mine would be an HK P7 PSP, one of the early imports. Stovepipe jams on a regular basis until I sent it in to HK. After that it stopped stovepiping and started failing to feed. Sold it for a $200 profit though.

.cheese.
March 10, 2008, 12:15 AM
Kahr PM9 and Walther P22.

doc2rn
March 10, 2008, 12:28 AM
S&W 451 PD- a 7 shot .22 WMR that couldnt shoot a group past 10 yds.

BigGunsMoreFun
March 10, 2008, 12:39 AM
:scrutiny:I've never found a decent pistol that has a polymer frame. I've shot probably 40 to 50 different ones and they are all junk to me. I just don't like plastic guns.

:barf:I think the worst gun on the planet by far is anything made by Glock. I hear all the hype about what great guns they are but I have never found a good one yet. They are worthless beyond about 7 yards. I've never seen one hold better than an 8 to 10 inch pattern beyond that distance. They jamb every 4 or 5 rounds (at least once every magazine full). They come all to pieces after about 2000 rounds. I've owned 3 different ones and traded each one off. I have never liked the feel of a Glock. They just don't sit well in a big hand. The angle of the grip feels wrong and I just can't get used to that feeling.

:what:I find it hard to believe that anyone had a problem with a Smith & Wesson CS45. That's what I use for a carry gun. I can hit the 10 ring 9 out of 10 times at 15 yards with mine. I've put over 5000 rounds through it and only had one jamb in 5000 rounds. That one was probably because I reloaded the ammo and didn't seat the bullet properly or possibly the brass was over used. I have replaced all the springs and did a little trigger job on it but I think its a great carry gun at a great price. I got mine at a gun show for $400 NIB.

:eek:I also have a couple of Ruger Redhawks and I think they are one of the best wheel guns made. Both are several years old and have had a few thousand rounds through them with no problems. I can keep a 3" pattern with either of them out to 25 yards. I think you just got a bad one.

Same with the CS45. I think you just got a bad one. Smith & Wesson usually has good customer service. I'm surprised you did not get a replacement gun.

I've never had a Ruger that needed any fixing so I can't speak about their customer service.

To each his own I guess. Every gun maker is going to make a dud now and then. When they all start becoming duds like the Glocks and the customer service acts like :cuss: then I'd say its time to unload the gun and find something better.

Joe
;)

lanternlad1
March 10, 2008, 02:03 AM
Cobra Patriot 45

I know, I know, its a Cobra, what did I expect?

I expected it to EXTRACT - which it never did. Shot great, didn't extract. Even just racking the slide with ammo in chamber they wouldn't fly out.

Sent it back to the factory, got it back, still didn't work. Sold it.

Too bad, really. I REALLY wanted it to be reliable. I liked it. Six inch long 45acp. What's not to like? Firing it was fun. Jamming was not.

Very disappointing.

Lonestar49
March 10, 2008, 02:06 AM

Would have to say my Beretta Px4 40cal.. It has developed a continuous trigger-sting (annoying in warm weather, downright painful in cold weather) and would warn anyone thinking of getting a Px4 in 40 or 45 cal to hold off until Beretta finds the flaw, and finds the fix, before buying one.. Would also extend the warning to those thinking of a Px4 9mm, as well, as reports are also coming in that some owners are experiencing the trigger sting with those.

Ls

bdjansen
March 10, 2008, 02:36 AM
Would have to say my Beretta Px4 40cal.. It has developed a continuous trigger-sting (annoying in warm weather, downright painful in cold weather) and would warn anyone thinking of getting a Px4 in 40 or 45 cal to hold off until Beretta finds the flaw, and finds the fix, before buying one.. Would also extend the warning to those thinking of a Px4 9mm, as well, as reports are also coming in that some owners are experiencing the trigger sting with those.

What is trigger sting?

KodeFore
March 10, 2008, 04:18 AM
Ok, my stoeger imported 1911 wannabe is worse than my sigma. The slide stop broke when shooting it & it has a lot FTF. The sigma is a dissapointment but worth the what I paid for it. LLAMA is pure junk almost as bad as a henry ar7 i briefly owned..

Tom Fury
March 10, 2008, 12:17 PM
In defense of S&W, given my experience with the rest of their 3rd gen autos (6904, 6906, 457,4516,4566,CQB,4506) which have all been excellent, I would have to say I probably just got a bad CS45 (It was the first one available in my area) I think they have made a mistake in dropping them all, though I can understand why,
Cheers, TF

Dravur
March 10, 2008, 05:50 PM
think the worst gun on the planet by far is anything made by Glock. I hear all the hype about what great guns they are but I have never found a good one yet. They are worthless beyond about 7 yards. I've never seen one hold better than an 8 to 10 inch pattern beyond that distance. They jamb every 4 or 5 rounds (at least once every magazine full). They come all to pieces after about 2000 rounds. I've owned 3 different ones and traded each one off. I have never liked the feel of a Glock. They just don't sit well in a big hand. The angle of the grip feels wrong and I just can't get used to that feeling.

Wow, you are the unluckiest guy in the world. I have to remember to invite you over for poker some time. Bring lots of money.

Funny, I own several Glocks. I don't think I have seen any of them "jamb" ever. All of mine have over 2k rounds and not a single one has come apart... And oddly enough, I am pretty darned accurate with mine. If you cannot get anything smaller than an 8-10" pattern past seven yards, its time to up the meds.

GBExpat
March 10, 2008, 06:23 PM
My biggest handgun disappointment was the CZ-52 ... but that was offset by both the low price (~$115+shipping, IIRC) and my surprise at how wonderful the first TT-33 (~$125+shipping, IIRC) that I bought at about the same time turned out to be. I now have 2 Polish and 3 Soviet TT-33s. :)

1KPerDay
March 10, 2008, 06:50 PM
I waited for years to see a Glock with a 4 to 4.5 inch bbl, 8 to 10 rounds in the mag, and chambered for the .45 ACP!

So only load 8 or 10 in the G21. ;)

guninthewater
March 10, 2008, 06:58 PM
Here are my two:

1) Springfield Armory mil-spec 1911 -- This was my first ever centerfire handgun, which I bought about 15 years ago. I just HAD to have a "Government Model .45" like all the cool guys on TV and movies. That handgun was inaccurate and jammed like no other pistol I've ever seen. It would regularly freeze up to the point it would need near complete disassembly to get it running again. I sold it at a slight loss and bought a .38 revolver.

2) S&W 696 -- This was the most handsome pistol I've ever owned, and it had an absolutely gorgeous set of laminated grips. The trouble was that it was big, clunky, and horribly inaccurate, even with the mild .44 Special handloads my Ruger SBH liked. I sold it, too, but at least I made enough money to buy TWO other pistols.

BTW, I also dislike Glocks. They just don't qualify for my biggest disappointment. They might make the Top 10 though. :neener:

esq_stu
March 10, 2008, 06:59 PM
They look nice, and some of them have nice triggers. But they seized up, cases stuck, they failed to fire, or all three.

EdLaver
March 11, 2008, 03:35 AM
I bought a Cobray M11 9mm that jammed after every shot, I used steel mags and poly mags, nothing could get it to stop jamming. I sold it at a pawn shop for $125 less than I paid for it. THE worst purchase I ever made period in anything I have EVER bought.

mjb
March 11, 2008, 04:25 AM
esq_stu I totally agree with you.

Phil DeGraves
March 11, 2008, 10:11 AM
I've had S&W 915s, great guns. I have (or she has) a Taurus 24/7 9mm. Great shooting pistol. Can't miss with it. Makes me wonder if all these "disappointing" or "inaccurate" guns that people can't hit with might be more "operator" error.
For me, an ASM 1861 conversion in 38 special. It would group well but not anywhere close to point of aim, and then parts would fall off it when you shot it. And I had 2 of them. I also had a pair of 1851 conversions, an 1860 conversion (that one was a great gun) and an 1872 Open Top and all those worked and shot well. (I bought all of them as a lot from a place going out of business).

Phil DeGraves
March 11, 2008, 10:18 AM
"...think the worst gun on the planet by far is anything made by Glock."

While not being a fan of GLOCKs, (I can't stand them as many of you undoubtedly know) they hardly qualify as the worst gun on the planet, not with all the RGs, Arminius, Ravens, Hi-Points, Lorcins, etc. Not even in the same class. You couldn't have the "worst gun on the planet" be accepted by all the military and LE forces all over the world if they didn't work. I mean you can get a solitary lemon now and then from any maker but "anything made by Glock" is painting with a pretty broad brush.

Lonestar49
March 11, 2008, 02:50 PM
Quote:

What is trigger sting?
-------------

It is like a pinch feeling (that would cause a blood blister) which to be clear, it does not cause, but you get this quick, sharp, annoying, feeling with each shot no matter how one places his trigger finger-pad on the trigger. Wearing a full-fingered semi-thin cotton glove stops any sting, but where I live, wearing gloves 24/7 is not an option, nor the right answer to this problem. Neither is improper, or proper, trigger technique, as no matter how one pulls the trigger, you, your shooting buddy, feel the sting per shot.

Some have likened it to a bee-sting sensation, per shot, and in my case, I have shot nothing but new Winchester wb, or Federal Eagle 165gr or mainly, 180gr FMJ as well as JHP, so it's not a ammo problem one way or another IMO.

From what I have read, from many others with Px4's, it's most prevalent in 40cals, but now many 9mm owners are speaking up, as well as enough of the very new, just released Px4 45 owners having it, as well.

It may well be that the delayed release of Beretta's compact Px4sc may be linked to this "production run" issue with many of the Px4's.

Hopefully, my gun, will be taken back by Beretta thru "MR", a Beretta Rep and put in front of quality control via his attention to this matter, and get this flaw, weak link, whatever the problem is, causing it, fixed asap..

Ls

Wetawd
March 11, 2008, 02:58 PM
Taurus PT 24/7 PRO in 9mm

Wildly inaccurate other than that it's fine. Ya people I know it could be me but I don't think so cause I shoot just fine with everything else:cool:

bdjansen
March 11, 2008, 03:22 PM
Quote:

What is trigger sting?
-------------

It is like a pinch feeling (that would cause a blood blister) which to be clear, it does not cause, but you get this quick, sharp, annoying, feeling with each shot no matter how one places his trigger finger-pad on the trigger. Wearing a full-fingered semi-thin cotton glove stops any sting, but where I live, wearing gloves 24/7 is not an option, nor the right answer to this problem. Neither is improper, or proper, trigger technique, as no matter how one pulls the trigger, you, your shooting buddy, feel the sting per shot.

Some have likened it to a bee-sting sensation, per shot, and in my case, I have shot nothing but new Winchester wb, or Federal Eagle 165gr or mainly, 180gr FMJ as well as JHP, so it's not a ammo problem one way or another IMO.

From what I have read, from many others with Px4's, it's most prevalent in 40cals, but now many 9mm owners are speaking up, as well as enough of the very new, just released Px4 45 owners having it, as well.

It may well be that the delayed release of Beretta's compact Px4sc may be linked to this "production run" issue with many of the Px4's.

Hopefully, my gun, will be taken back by Beretta thru "MR", a Beretta Rep and put in front of quality control via his attention to this matter, and get this flaw, weak link, whatever the problem is, causing it, fixed asap..

That's too bad. I wonder what would be causing that? The Px4's are very cool looking guns. Hopefully they work out the bugs soon.

Furncliff
March 11, 2008, 07:21 PM
In the U.S.A.F. we had "hanger queens. You'd see the same aircraft for maintenance time after time. I have a Star b like that. I like the feel of the gun and it's accurate, but it broke again today (mag release jammed). Dang.

Airman193SOS
March 11, 2008, 10:01 PM
My friend let me fire her Ruger P95. I felt like I was holding a loaf of French bread. The grip was so wide that I actually felt as though I needed the second hand to help me hold it. Totally unacceptable from my point of view.

cornman
March 12, 2008, 10:02 AM
Fat_Tony

Did you send the M&P back to S&W? S&W has a lifetime warrenty on there products.

Rod B
March 12, 2008, 12:27 PM
A Mitchell Arms copy of the High Standard Citation.Absolute junk.:mad:

Sold the Mitchell at a slight loss & bought a really nice original made in Hamden, High Standard Trophy.:)

PCFlorida
March 12, 2008, 03:08 PM
Stainless Firestar in .40 cal. Too heavy, poor accuracy and poor finish. However I did get a free polo shirt, hearing protectors, hat and shooting glasses with it.

Sold the gun at a loss and bought a G27, nice gun.

Kept the swag.

jocko
March 12, 2008, 04:49 PM
all 3 of mine were totally unreliable and gave many many issues.

jakeswensonmt
March 12, 2008, 09:54 PM
OP'd by Phil DeGraves:
I have (or she has) a Taurus 24/7 9mm. Great shooting pistol. Can't miss with it. Makes me wonder if all these "disappointing" or "inaccurate" guns that people can't hit with might be more "operator" error.
That would make sense, except that I consistently nail the X ring with every other handgun I have. The real problem here is Taurus' p*$$ poor quality control, a lot of clunkers go out the door and their customer service leaves a LOT (everything?) to be desired.
No offense intended, but I was already soooo tired of the tired "Taurus rulz, you are teh crummy shot" argument long before this thread started.

Firepower!
March 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
I would have to say SW SIGMA, since I was expecting something much smoother to shoot.

harbingerm
March 13, 2008, 04:39 PM
Kel-Tec

mjrodney
March 14, 2008, 02:26 PM
Walther P-22 (jammomatic), Glock 19 (blockomatic), XD-45 (jammomatic with LSWC bullets/others I know have had the same problem).

socal44
March 14, 2008, 03:06 PM
Taurus PT145. Nothing but trouble:fire:

romeo212000
March 14, 2008, 04:06 PM
I don't know what you guys had against the S&W 915. My first handgun was a 915 in 9mm and it was one reliable pistol. I was pretty solid with it out to about 25 yards. The trigger left a little to be desired but I was a solid pistol right up until I traded it for an M&P.

I have also had great luck with my Kel-Tec p3at. I had a few failures to evect when I first got it but was warned that I would need to shoot 5 rounds of hardball ammo through it to get it broken in since the recoil springs are pretty stiff off the line. He said dont make any judgements until after that first fifty rounds. Once I got through them I have never once had any kind of failure relating to the gun. I have only had one failure to fire and that was because of the ammo.

searcher451
March 15, 2008, 04:14 PM
Beretta .32 Bobcat: Could only get 66 rounds through it before the trigger crapped out entirely -- and not a single magazine went through cleanly, just one FTE after another.

Arroyo7
March 15, 2008, 06:25 PM
CZ 2075 RAMI in 9mm. I have three other 9 mm CZs that are great pistols, but my RAMI will inevitably have at least one round get stuck at the bottom of the feed ramp per every 10 round magazine whenever I use hollow points.

beemerphile
March 15, 2008, 10:00 PM
HK P2000 with LEM trigger. Yuck! Sold it.

Markbo
March 16, 2008, 12:00 PM
...You'd see the same aircraft for maintenance time after time...

Which ones?! This is stuff we would never hear on the news!:D

The Big One
March 16, 2008, 02:16 PM
S&W M&P 9mm compact. Never understand whats all the fuss for! Not nearly as well made as a Glock.

Mojo-jo-jo
March 16, 2008, 02:21 PM
Helwan Brigadier, a Egyptian licensed copy of a Beretta M951.

After one range session, the already heavy trigger pull got so bad you could barely pull it! Upon close inspection, it turns out the sear had gouged the poorly finished and poorly hardened hammer surface.

It was promptly sold. I owned that gun for less than seven days.

kentucky bucky
March 16, 2008, 03:09 PM
I have the feeling that if this thread kept going, that every brand and model of handgun would be covered.

Quoheleth
March 16, 2008, 08:22 PM
I've read 'em all, and no one has mentioned the FIE .22 SA revolvers. Piece o' junk. Literally would miss a 55 gallon barrel at 10'. Paid $100 for it in 1995; hocked it at Christmas, 2000 for $45 for a Christmas tree. I asked the pawnshop gal if she'ld give $50...her answer was "I'm already giving you an extra $5 for being a pastor."

Q

CCW1911
March 18, 2008, 10:47 AM
Would have to be the S&W model 66 I bought over the internet in unfired condition. As you can see the seller missed the description a wee bit.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/ccw1911/bad66.jpg

Trempel
March 18, 2008, 11:50 AM
HK USP Compact in .45ACP. Fell for the HK hype and shelled out $800 for this gun. It didn't fall apart or blow up, and for the 200 rounds I fired through it, it ran just fine. But, it had the most atrocious trigger on any handgun I've ever fired. I consider a good trigger to be essential on a fighting gun, and this thing failed miserably in this department. Sold it a month after I got it.

Kel Tec PF9 also gets runner up disappointment award, but since it was a cheap piece of crap, it wasn't nearly as sad as the legendary HK.

Lafeswede
March 18, 2008, 07:07 PM
A Norinco NP 30 (Big Ten) .45 ACP bought mail order. Useless trigger pull, had to pull so hard I shook before it broke. Accuracy was an abominable; 10 inches at 25 meters, two hands and bench rest. FTE, I'm on my third extractor at 3000 rds. Cost me twice the purchasing price get it accurate, still not reliable.
I'm surprised to see Rugers mentioned here, but I guess most anything will show up, sooner or later.
Entertaining thread, BTW.
Sail safe
Lafeswede

axeman_g
March 19, 2008, 09:54 AM
+1 on the HK USP Compact in .45ACP. I got it for a great price, right around $450. It fit right, it pointed right and my trigger was good. I JUST COULD NOT SHOOT IT ACCURATELY. My friends could, I tried and I tried... about 6 months later I sold it to a buddy that loved it. Got another HP with the money, those I can shoot.

+100 on P22. Tried them twice, nver going to try again and I love everything about the gun, except the FTF, FTE and misfires.

texagun
March 19, 2008, 12:50 PM
Would have to be the S&W model 66 I bought over the internet in unfired condition. As you can see the seller missed the description a wee bit.

I hope you got your money back on that one! Another good reason to not buy something sight-unseen.

FunYet
March 20, 2008, 01:44 AM
Walther PPS. Bigger, bulkier, heavier than I thought it would be.

rklessdriver
March 21, 2008, 10:43 AM
KIMBER Tac Pro II.

Spent $1000.00 of my hard earned combat pay, then waited an additional 2 months for it to come in. But I knew I had to have one when I saw it on the cover of a gun rag. 9 months of 12-15hr days working my a$$ off to go to my rack and drool over that Kimber on the cover and read it's review, knowing I was going to own one as soon as my feet touched North Carolina soil again.

Absolutely beautiful to look at and hold. Also it's super accurate, I can easily manage 1 1/2" groups @ 25yrds. I can deal with having to using a paper clip to dissassemble it.

But I couldn't deal with the Constant Failures To Eject for the first 250 rounds. No worries the Kimber rep said it takes 500 rounds to full break the gun in... "Really?? 500 rounds of full power ammo? On an alum framed gun? That cost me a thousand dollars??"

I'm well beyond the 500round break in peroid now and it still has Random Failures to Eject. On top of that it now spits emptys at my forehead about 2 or 3 times per mag. It's been at the back of my safe for about 6 months, I don't even want to look at it.

Now last weekend at the Gun Show in New Bern I see a brand new Tac Pro II and notice it dosen't have that FRICKEN POS external extractor. Did I mention it was priced at like $960.00??

Broken hearted dosen't even describe my feelings about mine.
Will

Captain Bligh
March 21, 2008, 11:35 AM
Sig p232. Sexy looking little gun. Gives me slide bite. I hate the trigger and the double action to single action transition.

misterwhipple
March 21, 2008, 12:15 PM
Early model XD 9mm subcompact

Every round would eject not-quite straight up and bounce off my head. Every damn round! (Reportedly corrected in current models.)

harbingerm
March 21, 2008, 12:38 PM
rklessdriver, keep sending that damned Kimber back and MAKE them pay for the shipping. I had a friend that just did this and they finally agreed to credit him full purchase price toward any other gun he wanted.

loki.fish
March 22, 2008, 11:45 AM
Don't understand all the Walther P22s on here. Never had a problem with mine. Probably will now that I said something though.

My biggest disappointment is a Kahr PM9. The trigger is waayyyyy to heavy and it doesn't want to feed the last 2 rounds of the magazines.

Clark
March 22, 2008, 12:20 PM
CCW1911 wrote:

LOL

I try not to complain, but that really crosses the threshold.

NDOC C/O
March 22, 2008, 07:47 PM
HK USP Compact 9 I think HK's are reliable and robust guns but, the trigger sucked (like gritty mashed potatoes) and the weapon felt like a giant brick of raw iron ore.

Flash!
March 22, 2008, 08:39 PM
Firestar in .40 S&W...too heavy to carry comfortably and jammed all the time even after being returned to the factory for repairs....

Corporal K
March 23, 2008, 01:12 AM
Springfield 1911, Loaded

Ran like crap

kentucky bucky
March 23, 2008, 01:40 AM
25 years ago I had one of those little AMT .380 Backups. the original type in single action. It was a great, flawless little shooter that never had a malfunction when I owned it. It was accurate for a vest pocket gun, too. Well you guessed it , I traded it for whatever and I was sorry shortly thereafter. Fast forward to about 5 years ago, a friend of mine at woork had one and I got it for a really cheap price and thought I would have the same gun! WRONG! jam-o-matic. I'm still trying to figure out what causes the problem, untill then it's FUBAR'd. I wouldn't trust it to go bang after the first shot at this point. I miss my old AMT!

marksman13
March 23, 2008, 01:47 AM
Ruger P94 in 40 cal. Piece of crap and my first pistol. I don't know if I will ever buy another Ruger P-series.

CCW1911
March 23, 2008, 03:42 AM
I did get all my money back on that deal. It was funny after I got over my shock and homicidal rage when I opened the package. His explanation for listing it as "unfired" was that "he" hadn't fired it. I can't believe he thought someone would fall for that.

rocinante
March 23, 2008, 11:56 AM
I have S&W 915, Walther P1, Bersa 380cc, Ruger 22/45, Ruger New Vaquero and the only one of the bunch I have never heard any one bad mouth on the internet is the Vaquero. All of mine are trouble free and accurate so maybe I am just lucky.

My 915 is my go to home gun. It has NEVER balked at any ammo I put in it and it IS ACCURATE. I am a crappy shot so whenever I get a new gun I get a guy at my gun range that is an EXCELLENT shot give it a go. If he can't hit with it then I won't keep it. The only thing I would change on my 915 is some better sights.

chrlefxtrt
March 24, 2008, 01:46 AM
A Para Ordinance double stack sub compact 1911. The gun was really cool, but it never failed to stove pipe or double feed.

Markbo
March 24, 2008, 10:51 PM
Don't understand all the Walther P22s on here. Never had a problem with mine. Probably will now that I said something though.

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I can speak for me. Mediocre accuracy at best and the single worst trigger of any handgun I have ever fired in my entire life. So while the size intrigued me to make it a kit gun and the interchangable backstraps allow to make a 'most comfortable' grip, unless I am at 7 foot range, that bunny is probably going to escape.

ETA: I thought of something else... a truly bad trigger may not be 'fixable' as is the case with my P22. But of all the failures to feed, stovepiping, jamming, etc that are listed here I don't remember one post that said anything about what they did to fix it. Did you try different or modified magazines? Polish the feedramp? How many of these guns that were by definition HUGE disappointments were ever sent back to the factory to be fixed? Nobody said anything about that... seems to me that these issues at least are very definitely fixable.

jr4521
April 27, 2008, 03:07 PM
kel tec 380, not only did it not funtion at all, but when it did it double fed and almost blew my hand off , kel tec sent me a replacement, equally a POS , I have heard good reviews and very bad reviews, maybe i got 2 lemons .

Sam1911
April 27, 2008, 08:39 PM
All polymer guns, especially Glocks
I've never found a decent pistol that has a polymer frame. I've shot probably 40 to 50 different ones and they are all junk to me. I just don't like plastic guns.

Yeah, I don't like polymer guns, either. Just never spent the time to develop the feel for them. However...

I think the worst gun on the planet by far is anything made by Glock. I hear all the hype about what great guns they are but I have never found a good one yet. They are worthless beyond about 7 yards. I've never seen one hold better than an 8 to 10 inch pattern beyond that distance. They jamb [SIC] every 4 or 5 rounds (at least once every magazine full). They come all to pieces after about 2000 rounds. I've owned 3 different ones and traded each one off. I have never liked the feel of a Glock. They just don't sit well in a big hand. The angle of the grip feels wrong and I just can't get used to that feeling.

This statement is completely absurd. I mean, completely. In every way. Well, except for the "I have never liked the feel of a Glock," line and the grip angle gripes. I'll give you those. They are -- probably -- true.

Some of the most competent, consistent, insanely fast AND accurate shooters I've seen compete with Glocks. To say that the pistols in general aren't capable of a 8-10" group beyond 7 yards is simply laughable! To further say that they aren't reliable and won't last beyond 2000 rounds is simply a lie. Many of the USPSA and IDPA shooters who field Glocks are often putting well more than 2000 trouble-free rounds a month, and sometimes *PER WEEK* through them!

And there are about a million not quite so fast and maybe not so supremely accurate shooters who also use them pretty hard weekly/monthly in competitions. So it's not just the big name guys with tricked out guns. There are a lot of average Joe shooters out there pounding out the rounds, proving that the design is sound, accurate, and reliable.

Having said that, I don't own one, don't shoot them often, don't care for them, don't want one. But I can't believe someone would make such broadly false statements.

Please, if you are going to denigrate something use personalized terms that are irrefutable. To wit: "I don't like them." Or, "I've had them and traded them off." Or, "I don't think they're well made." Etc., etc. To say that they won't last more than 2000 rounds, they are borderline negligently inaccurate, and they won't make it through half a magazine without a "jamb" -- and present these statements as fact -- makes you seem like a very poor source of information.

PCFlorida
April 27, 2008, 10:32 PM
Stainless Firestar in .40 cal. Too heavy, poor accuracy and poor finish. However I did get a free polo shirt, hearing protectors, hat and shooting glasses with it.

Sold the gun at a loss and bought a G27, nice gun.

Kept the swag.

LOL, me too, right down to the G27.

Still have the polo, use the hearing protectors as spares and use the shooting glasses when I reload. Don't remember where the hat is.

PCFlorida
April 27, 2008, 10:38 PM
I think the worst gun on the planet by far is anything made by Glock.... /snip

You sound a little bitter. I'm a fan of 1911's, S&W and Ruger revolvers, have a Taurus .44 that has never missed a beat and a number of others as well, but my go to guns are my Glocks.

Sorry, but they have never jammed on me and I find them insanely accurate for an out of the box handgun. I have 4 of them and likely will have another soon.

The only time I've seen a Glock jam or mis-feed was when it was limp wristed, they do seem to be sensitive to that, but probably no more or less than most other handguns. A word of correction to the shooter usually is the end of that problem.

Sorry you have had such bad luck with them.

cornman
April 27, 2008, 10:49 PM
All Glocks. A couple blocks of wood with some black shoe polish is more ergonomic. And better looking to boot!

theotherwaldo
April 28, 2008, 12:17 AM
Ruger Redhawk.

It's just wrong!

Love or like my seven other Rugers, just can't find anything in the Redhawk that one of the other guns doesn't do better.

MTMilitiaman
April 28, 2008, 12:49 AM
..for me was an H&K USP .45. It had an LEM trigger, nights sights, and I paid $800 something after tax. Nothing more than a glorified Glock 21 with a heavier price tag. Apparently I do suck, and HK hates me!

Roger that.

I saved for years to buy a USP Tactical 45 for my 21st birthday. Money doesn't come cheap for me, but after all that research, I thought it would be $986 of money well spent to do it right the first time. Right out of the box I noticed the loaded chamber indicator didn't work. Ran one mag through it and got numerous FTF, with the slide failing to go into battery by 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. Tried numerous loads, gave it 800 rounds to break in, but problems persisted. Multiple attempts to contact HK and have it serviced were less than successful--they apparently regarded me, as a civilian customer, as vermin, because they always did their best to get rid of me. Pistol collects dust now. I replaced it with a Glock 20 that has been twice the pistol at half the cost. HKs contempt for the American civilian market continues, and I regret only that I spent money on them in the first place.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/MTMilitiaman/Guns/becauseyousuck.jpg

searcher451
April 28, 2008, 10:40 AM
The Beretta Tomcat in .32 caliber has been a great disappointment. I bought one for the wife (she liked the size, feel, and the flip-up barrel operation). The trigger failed after 66 rounds, and we never did get a magazine to run smoothly without numerous FTE and FTFs. It also took weeks to get Beretta's customer service to acknowledge multiple phone calls and emails. They can brag all they want about 500 years of firearms history, but a whole bunch of someones were asleep at the switch when the Tomcat was a) designed, and b) the one I bought rolled off the assembly line.

Ruger Redhawk
April 28, 2008, 03:06 PM
I bought a Beretta M-21A just to throw in my pocket for a quick trip to the store. I still have it and haven't fired it very much.Maybe it needs more rounds put through it,breaking it in. This thing has been the biggest Jam-o-matic I have ever owned.Quite a disappointment from Beretta. This is my first Beretta and don't put much faith in their products.

icebones
May 17, 2008, 11:09 PM
i had the same problem with my beretta 21a.

you cant blame the engineers at beretta for forgetting to put an extractor on the thing.

anybody who works in a factory can tell you white colloars dont have what we call common sense.

do what i did:
grad a dremel tool, cloth polishing tool and some fine grit lapping compound. polish the feed ramp, chamber, magazine lips and interior magazine body to a mirror sheen,

also, inspect the frame rails and slide for burrs and toolmarks, polish them out too.
give it a few hundred rounds for break in, and it should run fine, i know mine does now...

one last thing, m21a are very sensative to limp wristing. hold on to that sucker nice and tight!

MMCSRET
May 18, 2008, 12:04 AM
Ruger P90, back to Ruger 3 times, each time returned with itemized list of repairs, replaced everything but slide,frame and barrel. Never functioned reliable after 10 rounds. factory said they only load and fire 5 rounds for a repair test. I finally replaced the recoil spring with a special order 26# 1911 spring. Worked better, at least enough to trade straight across for a marlin 1894 carbine.

May 18, 2008, 12:24 AM
My first 1911 style pistol was a Brolin arms. I bought it back in 1993 for $275.00. The thing could not get through a magazine without a FTE. It has been all Colts for me since that fiasco.

thunder173
May 18, 2008, 01:02 PM
Gee,...I don't feel to bad about my "cheap KelTec's" now at all,.....my P3AT get's carried almost everyday, never misses a pop with FMJ's OR Federal HydraShoks,...and my P-11,....does what it's supposed to do,...be ugly,...and go bang when I pull the trigger,...it gets carried a lot to,...same deal, FMJ's and Federal HS',.... Over 1,000 rounds through both without any hitches that I haven't experienced in much more expensive pieces,....including Walther's and Beretta's,....

PTK
May 18, 2008, 01:05 PM
My biggest disappointment with a handgun was buying a Ruger Blackhawk in .357. Turns out I very much dislike single action handguns - it was a nice revolver, I just hated it. :)

grimjaw
May 18, 2008, 01:44 PM
The CZ-52 was a huge disappointment to me. For ~$100, I got a large, uncomfortable, inconsistent, potentially unsafe, jammomatic range frustration (not toy, definitely) that was unpleasant to shoot for long strings because of the recoil impulse and sharp trigger edges. In comparison, for $135 I got a Makarov PM that was more reliable, accurate, useful, and able to be converted to .380ACP w/o the skills of a gunsmith. The only kind of 'tank' the CZ-52 resembles are the WW2 vintage ones that Saddam buried in the Iraqi sand. I wouldn't take a CZ-52 now if you paid me.

jm

jakk280rem
May 18, 2008, 03:51 PM
my biggest disapointment is my Springfield Armory loaded parkerized. its a fine pistol, but the grip safety, and thumb safety are fitted for function only. the thumb safety is sharp and uncomfortable, and the grip safety is a 1/8 inch oversized and was not blented into the frame at all. considering the reputation and price point these pistols have, i was expecting more.

chriske
May 20, 2008, 04:38 AM
Uberti "Cattleman" peacemaker-clone in .45 LC.
Can't shoot 150 rounds without breaking some spring or other
Chamber mouth dimensions erratic
So "faithful to the original" I strongly suspect it being made out of IRON

Disaster
May 22, 2008, 08:48 AM
Ruger Blackhawk in .44mag. Probably should have tried one before buying. Hated the buckhorn grip...especially with a heavy recoiler. The sights were crap too...compared to my S&W .357. Oh, and the trigger was heavy and scratchy.

"For me, it's a tie:

1.) My S&W M&P 9mm. It doesn't run. I have had many FTF and FTE with it, including a bunch of double feeds. (So far, my best experience with it was the one magazine where I only experienced one stoppage. It is usually more like 6-8 per magazine). I had to order it, as they didn't have a M&P 9mm in the shop. I didn't notice before I left with it that when a mag is seated in the magwell, if you press on the magazine's base pad just a little bit, you can rock the magazine back and forth. Also, the slide has not once locked back when the magazine is empty."

You should send that one back to S&W. I've only read good things about their customer service.

Rushifell
May 22, 2008, 09:07 AM
Beretta Tomcat .32. I wanted to like the little pocket auto, but having to send it back to factory within 1 week for a firing pin that fell out of the gun at the range broke my confidence in it entirely, traded it in toward a S&W M&P 360 snubby .357 when it got home from factory.
That was one hell of a good decision

really is a shame because its a neat gun, and it fit in my hand quite comfortably for such a small gun.

Carbon_15
May 24, 2008, 11:33 PM
the oly arms version of the Whitney Wolverine. The magazine was almost impossible to load, when you did finaly get it loaded, it jammed consistantly (both stovepipes, and rounds getting reversed in the magazine)...and required a call to Olympic Arms to reassemble. The day I bought it, I spent about an hour at the range and only managed to fire 20 or so rounds. Huge dissapointment, and huge frustration. I had very high hopes for this one.

koja48
May 25, 2008, 12:14 AM
Walther P-22 . . . bought it, shot it, re-cocked it, shot it, re-cocked it (after I cleared it some more), tried it a on a few more occasions, repeated the same disappointing evolution, traded it . . . and I RARELY part with a firearm.

Shade00
May 25, 2008, 12:51 AM
My biggest disappointment has been missing out on several sweet deals. No lemon guns... yet...

Dave Pendleton
May 25, 2008, 01:08 AM
The two Para .45's I owned. Neither would fire more than 100 rounds without function problems.

Replaced both of them with...

You guessed it: a G37 and a G38 and I haven't looked back since.

jimmyraythomason
May 25, 2008, 01:11 AM
Browning High-Power. Trigger pull should have been measured it tonnage not pounds.

moooose102
May 25, 2008, 09:28 AM
kel-tec p3at. the ONLY firearm i have ever had to send back to the factory for repair. and it was only 2 weeks old.

Carbon_15
May 25, 2008, 09:42 AM
i had the same problem with my beretta 21a.

Mine has been great. Break it in, keep it CLEAN, and feed it mini-mags or stingers and you should be fine.

Pat-inCO
May 25, 2008, 02:17 PM
What's yours?
S&W 9mm revolver. It was out for only a very few years (almost 25 years ago) but was "less than optimal" in anyone's book.

buck460XVR
May 25, 2008, 03:28 PM
My biggest disappointment was my first handgun. It was a Ruger Blackhawk It was too much gun with too little grip.

mine was a .44 mag in the early 70's. It was a hundred bucks less than a Smith if you could find a Smith in .44 mag during the "Dirty Harry" craze. Same problem, too much gun and not enough grip. Altho it felt uncomfortable in the store. I figured I would get used to it.....I was wrong. Hurt my hand so bad when I shot it, I don't think I got more than a coupla boxes of shells thru it before trading it for a SXS 20 ga.

Don't get me wrong, Ruger makes some fine guns and I have a couple.....just none of their revolvers.

plinky
May 25, 2008, 04:08 PM
Mine was a Jennings .22. Guess it's not surprising but it was such a pretty little thing I expected more. After too many jams in it's first outing, several small parts flew out of the gun. Luckily we found them and took it to the nearest gun show, trading for a Beretta 21A. It has done well with HV ammo. A fellow at the range had trouble with his and we swapped mags. His worked perfectly then.

As far as Blackhawks go, I was never crazy about the grip. The Bisleys on the other hand...:cool: ...much better.

retgarr
May 25, 2008, 04:25 PM
anybody who works in a factory can tell you white colloars dont have what we call common sense.

Well there comrade, maybe you and the rest of the proletariat can re-educate them in your superior common sense.

spoonman72
May 25, 2008, 06:17 PM
I'm glad to see the ugly duckling,HP firearms haven't made the list haha... a gun so many put down on a regular basis just because there high end gun can't keep up with the over weighted life time warranty still firing after a beating 150 dollar hp lol ... i'm sure someone will now say how horrible there's was but i'd just like to say at least they made it 6 pages strong.. lol hk,glock,ruger,ccw and others didn't make it that far lol

marineman
May 26, 2008, 07:23 PM
That's a negative. The Glock 37 in .45GAP is an excellent weapon. The only downside is that the .45GAP has not caught on. As far as accuracy, controllability, reliability, and ergonomics, the Glock 37 is almost unmatched.

RNB65
May 26, 2008, 07:41 PM
Kahr P9.

Bought it NIB. 3 weeks and 500 rounds later, sent it back to Kahr because it was a real jam-o-matic. They fixed it and I still use it for CCW, but I'll never buy another one.
:barf:

benenglish
May 26, 2008, 10:16 PM
It's tough to choose just one.

First, an honorable mention. My 4" Smith & Wesson M29 disappointed me in that it didn't stand up to continued use. In short order, it went from new to having cylinder end shake, lots of rattles, and the little plastic insert in the front sight departed for parts unknown. I shot it from rollover prone with my left forearm at about 90 degrees to the boreline and it spat enough bullet shavings out of the cylinder gap to leave my arm covered in blood after 20 rounds or so. Of course, this was back in the late 1970s when Smith wasn't known for ultimate durability and I was shooting full power, heavy bullet loads in high volume while competing in silhouette matches. But still...

But the winner is my Kahr K9. What. A. Piece. Of. Crap.

I have an early production piece. I accepted the jiggly front sight as the smooth trigger and nice function gave me reasonable confidence. Then, about 500 rounds in, the recoil spring jumped off the guide rod during recoil, stopping the slide about a half-inch out of battery. Emails to the factory were returned with instructions about how to retract the slide, remove the slide stop, then pull the trigger as the slide went forward to disassemble the gun.

Any pistol designed such that this can happen is fatally flawed. But did I learn my lesson? Oh, no. I reassembled the gun and went back to the range. Insert loaded mag, hit the slide stop to release the slide and it stops, again. This time, there's a round in the chamber and I can't eject it. I go home, attempt the previous repair, but can't get the thing disassembled, so I put the slide stop back in, intending to forget it for the night. Then I tried one last time to move the slide forward by pulling the trigger as I pointed the loaded gun in a safe direction.

If you know Kahrs, you can guess what happened. I had put the slide stop back in out of alignment. The slide went forward to a point about a quarter-inch out of battery where it is now locked tight. My research has thus far told me that I must send the pistol back to Kahr for disassembly and repair. And there's still a round in the chamber.

Any pistol that can be reassembled in a way that renders it completely inoperative and impossible to fix by simply disassembling and reassembling correctly possesses an unforgivable design flaw.

That round in the chamber? It's been there for years. It may just stay there until my heirs deal with it.

If anybody knows any tricks for dealing with this (or a gunsmith near Houston who can and also won't laugh at me), I'd be appreciative.

Confederate
May 28, 2008, 01:33 AM
A Taurus 66 stainless .357. It was beautiful. It was polished, it had counterbored chambers and felt great in the hand. Wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I took some 125 JHPs and dropped them through the chambers and they all fell right through. I think Taurus just drilled six holes in the damn thing! There didn't seem to be any taper whatsoever.

Gave it to my girlfriend at the time for protection. It was good enough for across the room accuracy with semi-wadcutter .38s.

Real POS. Oh, and a Virginia Dragoon by Interarms. On the second shot the hammer shattered like ice. Interarms fixed it and it was fine. Still, I thought no transfer bar was a bit backward. If you loaded it with six shots, you had to push the center post in to block the hammer. When you were ready to shoot, you had to ease the centerpost out and lock it in shooting position.

crzbiker
May 28, 2008, 01:57 AM
Flashman,
I had the same problem with a Ruger Blackhawk that I bought about 1962(?). I used to carry a sewing machine screwdriver to tighten it back up after almost every full cylinder. I was told later that Ruger tried to stop this with an insert made of nylon. Wonder if it worked.

foghornl
May 28, 2008, 10:39 AM
Had a couple....

One of the snubby RG double-action revolvers in .22LR (Don't remember the model number) Could not hit a 9" paper plate beyond 2 yds....yes 6 feet away.

F.I.E. knockoff of the Colt SAA in .22LR/.22Mag. Sent more lead sideways than downrange. IIRC, the model was called a Buffalo Scout

bigmike45
May 28, 2008, 11:48 AM
This is going to seem impossible, but I had a Kimber TLE 2 that shot 12" high at 25yards, from a bench, ransom rest or several other fixtures and I shot 8 different brands & styles of ammunition through it. I even had 4 other 1911 shooters shoot the darn thing. I finally sent it back to Kimber twice and they changed sights both times and finally got it to shoot only 9" high. It became trade fodder.

bigmike45

Z-Michigan
May 28, 2008, 12:52 PM
Worst - Steyr M9. And not really that bad, just don't like that it flings empties into my eyeglasses once it's dirty. Otherwise pretty decent.

I'm going to defend some pistols here:
-Springfield 1911 "mil-spec" - have one, runs totally reliable with ball ammo. Don't carry so haven't tried hp's. I decided I don't really like the 1911 ergos that well, but it runs just fine and seems well made.
-Ruger revolvers - have three (SP101, GP100, single six). All are 100% reliable, very well made, and have better than decent triggers.
-Ruger autos - P89, P94, P95. All totally reliable, recoil is quite manageable, really like the style of mag release. For those complaining about the trigger, you can make it two times better just by carefully and lightly oiling all joints in the mechanism with FP-10, or probably any good brand of gun oil. I have done that and the pull is much smoother and somewhat lighter in both SA and DA modes.

I'm not real inclined to buy a Taurus or a P22 after reading this. And I'm not surprised about the P22 given my not so great experience with the Walther G22 bullpup.

hemiram
June 18, 2008, 02:45 AM
Revolver:

My first gun, a Taurus Model 83n (nickel). Bought brand new. It looked great. The nickel plating was done very well, better than other Taurus models I had seen before I bought my gun.
Timing was horribly off, front of cylinder wasn't parallel, action would jam after about 6 shots, and the rifling was so bad, I could have done better with a file. I quickly bought a Dan Wesson Model 15-2 and then a S&W 28, both great guns.

Semiauto:

Colt Commander .45ACP. Jamtastic! Tolerances way off, sent off to Colt, came back, still not able to go though one mag without jamming. Slide bound up before Colt worked on it, but it rattled after it came back. I don't remember what it cost after all these years, but it, and the AMT 1911 I had before it turned me off to 45ACP's for a long time. I don't like the grip on a 1911 anyway, so it wasn't a big loss.

Big Daddy Grim
June 18, 2008, 03:05 AM
Walther P22 had it a week and the sucker quit shooting got it back 6 weeks later from the company and it still don't shoot right.:banghead:

nelson133
June 18, 2008, 05:15 AM
I specifically asked the gun shop clerk for the "good guy handgun", but mine won't shoot around corners, won't shoot accurately through walls or glass or other obstructions, requires periodic reloading, and won't hit reliably at 500 yards.

Slappy McGee
June 18, 2008, 04:47 PM
I had a colt "government" .380. Real neat little gun that looked like a 1911 that had been left in the dryer too long. Below the surface, the recoil spring looked like it came from a toy, and the blued finish started rusting almost immediately unless slathered with lots of oil. Sold it at a profit.

I handed an M&P in .40 that was a range gun and it had 2-4 FTE's each magazine and almost totally soured me to the M&P. I tried one in 9mm and it was fine, and the one I purchased has been flawless for about 2K rounds.

leadcounsel
June 18, 2008, 05:05 PM
My first semi-auto a Beretta 92fs. Too frequent fail to eject. Probably bad magazines or worn spring.

My second semi-auto handgun - Taurus PT140 when they first came out. I looked at it as an affordable Glock 27. FT feed and fire regularly.

I thought it was me.

It wasn't. Years later I've determined it was the guns. I traded up on both of them.

Honorable Mention: Keltec P3AT. So many problems I sent it to KT and they replaced it. Works fine now, so really just a big inconvenience.

Conversely, my biggest surprises have been my CZ 75s (several) and my Glocks (several). I absolutely love them. And both of my Ruger revolvers were 2nd hand and are flawless.

mister2
June 19, 2008, 01:45 PM
Very new and very foolish, I bought a Para P14.45 with all the bells and whistles, but with a very poor trigger and (probably due to) the heaviest combination of main and return springs in a 1911. And it came with fiber optic sights that scratched and cut everytime I racked the slide. Since it was an internet buy, I decided to keep it and fix it, which eventually came with time. It shoots as good as any 1911 now. Also removed superfluous magwell and +2 baseplates. Maybe IF I get serious about competing. An even bigger WHEN?

CDNN had FNHPs for less than $400, remember them? Horrible trigger due to mag disconnect. I kept checking the safety to make sure I hadn't left it on. It was that difficult. Didn't help that the mags supplied were parked. Tried everything to keep the disconnector in, eventually I got so mad at the gun and whacked the stubborn trigger pin REALLY hard. It moved! Shoots as good as any other BHP w/o disconnector now.

ATAShooter
June 19, 2008, 03:02 PM
Glock 36 for handguns - Jams

Perazzi MX-15 for long guns - $10,000 and Hated it.

mndfusion
June 21, 2008, 07:14 PM
I nvr bought one that I can complain about...

but my buddies walther p22 really sucked...it failed in everyway when i was shooting it.

BlindJustice
June 21, 2008, 08:29 PM
I'll add a S&W 686P 4" Bbl. - the 7 shooter.... there's not a darn thing wrong with it, others shoot it, and it's a good shooter for them just not for
me. It has Guy Hogue Compact size finger groove/checkered grips in Rosewood along with a Milt Sparks #200AW Llined w/basket weave Cordovan holster FBI Cant, carries well, and clears leather quick, it just isn't
working for ME. I think the slow buring magnum powder is better used in a
6"+ barrel so perhaps I'll look for a 4" 696 .44 Special that will fit the rig.
Trade the 686P for a 27 with the longer tube and greater N-frame weight

I have no problem hitting the 10 ring with my 625 617 and like the little model 60 3" Bbl. with + P .38 SPecial but it still doesn't get shot a lot
but it's a handy one, to grab for traveling light the 686P is the same weight
as my S&W 1911 but I have so much more confidence and familiar time with the 1911 - same gun I carried on Watch in the USN. My first gun as a teen I bought was a Model 18 so I know Revolvers.

My disappointment isn't in the quality of what I bought or getting a lemon.
R-

silent knight
June 21, 2008, 11:03 PM
think the worst gun on the planet by far is anything made by Glock. I hear all the hype about what great guns they are but I have never found a good one yet. They are worthless beyond about 7 yards. I've never seen one hold better than an 8 to 10 inch pattern beyond that distance. They jamb every 4 or 5 rounds (at least once every magazine full). They come all to pieces after about 2000 rounds. I've owned 3 different ones and traded each one off. I have never liked the feel of a Glock. They just don't sit well in a big hand. The angle of the grip feels wrong and I just can't get used to that feeling.

Wow.. of all the guns i've shot Glocks the only one that gave me no problems. A buddy of mine whos LAPD trusts his life with his Glock.

CZ223
June 22, 2008, 08:44 PM
springfield XD40.

texagun
June 22, 2008, 11:21 PM
springfield XD40.

I don't own one but have considered one. Would you expound on why it was a disappointment?

bigmedicine
June 23, 2008, 12:44 PM
The only danger to anyone from my Kimber TLE II would have been if I would have thrown it at them. The thing never operated correctly and the problems got worse for each of the 3 trips back to the factory. Thankfully, I found someone who thougth that they wanted to invest the $$ to fix it correctly and we did business.

baker437
June 23, 2008, 03:24 PM
colt cobra. no new parts and you have to send off for any repairs.

rino451
June 23, 2008, 04:58 PM
Beretta PX-4. Not that it didn't work or shoot, but for the $ it felt cheap and didn't do anything that any other pistol (G17 inclided) couldn't do as well or better. Couldn't find mags, holsters, or the alleged interchangeable backstraps for it. HATE the slidemounted, decocker safety.

tattedupboy
June 24, 2008, 04:11 AM
Not sure if this counts as a handgun (a Cobray Mac 10 assault pistol chambered in .45 ACP), but the damned thing just would not ever fire 2 rounds in succession. Even after a 500 round break in period and feeding some of everything I could find, including :what: FMJ (the non expanding variety), still the same thing. Needless to say, I do not have that gun anymore.

et45
June 24, 2008, 04:45 PM
HK USP 45.It shot 6 inches low at 25 yards and would not feed SWC bullets.I am amazed at the number of Para Ord. guns mentioned.The only auto I have ever owned that never malfunctioned at least once was a P14 Limited.It had well over 30K rds when I sold it.

MarcusWendt
June 24, 2008, 07:26 PM
A Glock. I wanted to like them early on, but I'd shoot one, it would feel like crap and I was all over the paper.

Every now and then I go back and try one. Same result every time.

With them being so popular and cheap I really wish I could like them, but they are very disappointing TO ME

Black Majik
June 24, 2008, 07:42 PM
Another vote for the Colt Government .380

I researched heavily into them prior to making the purchase, what may look nice on the outside wasn't the case inside. Inside had a lot of toolmarks and burrs, sharp edges and overall wasn't quite finished. The gun was rough, had some gritty feeling as it was being racked.

The gun ran though 100%. But the fit and final finish was truly disappointing.

10-Ring
June 24, 2008, 08:57 PM
SIG P220 that I bought. My first 45 and the only POS I've every bought. Granted, it was a lemon, but still a POS

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 24, 2008, 10:57 PM
The worst (so far) is the supposedly "like new" S&W 610 revolver I just got two days ago. First, the trigger doesn't always reset, causing it to "jam" when you try to pull the trigger on the subsequent shot, and second, it locked up and wouldn't open after shutting it last night. Fortunately, the seller came over and showed me how to unstick it when the cylinder rod backs itself out causing a lockup like that. Huge disappointment overall though, so far, for a rather expensive gun. I'm hopeful that the problems can be remedied easily and permanently though. Yes, it's a newer, cheapened, shroud-barrel, "lock" gun. Still, I was under the impression that S&W still had decent quality. :dunno:

Second place was a NAA mini-revolver in .22lr - horrid accuracy at 3 yards.

Third place was an H&R .22 revolver (model 929 perhaps?). It shot little pieces of hot debris back at my face (parts of the bullet were being shaved by the cone I guess), and it was pretty inaccurate. I sold it at a big loss to the same pawn shop I bought it from within a week.

Fourth is a Ruger P-something in .40 cal (my 2nd handgun ever). Slide would not go all the way into battery unless it was being fired, or you really slingshotted it hard. But just racking it normally, or releasing the slide with the manual release, it would stop before going into battery and then of course, not fire until you tapped the slide home.

Fifth place is Glocks in general. They're just sort of a very cheaply made, so-so, ho-hum gun, with loose tolerances and a high price tag (for what you get). They are definitely the farthest from what they are hyped or touted to be. My Bersa Thunder 9 is a far better gun than any Glock, and a lot less money.

Sixth would be a CZ52 surplus - not very accurate, possibly due to the poor sights.

[Conversely, I've been quite pleased with all my 1911s (Wilson, Kimber, Sig & Springfield), my Sig classic, multiple CZs, Bersa, Dan Wesson, Kahr, Taurus auto, and Taurus revolvers. And, reasonably pleased with Kel-Tec guns. I even liked my Llama 9mm and my Heritage Rough Rider SA revolver in .22lr/.22mag - go figure - it's built about the way it should be for the price - but it was pretty accurate.]

Dang, I didn't realize how much crap I've owned until I spelled it out...

GaryP
June 25, 2008, 01:02 AM
Wesson Arms 738P. Useless in rapid fire DA mode due to a weak hand spring. This was an engineering defect that affected the Wesson Arms 738P model. These were manufactured in Palmer, Ma. in the mid 1990's. What a bummer because they were well built revolvers otherwise and the company went bankrupt before they could address this problem. I ended up getting a gunsmith to fashion a hand spring that did work, but by then I had lost confidence in the gun. I sold this one but should have kept it as these are rare these days. Has anyone here seen one much less fired one? :what:

:evil:

OOOXOOO
June 27, 2008, 02:16 PM
1 more vot for a POS Walther P-22. I bought it when they first came out and thought they were cool looking and it had more problems than parts.

wow6599
June 27, 2008, 10:11 PM
Bought a Walther P22 about 2 months ago because I heard the "bugs" had been worked out. I'm not sure it is a semi-auto pistol?:rolleyes: I don't think it has ever ran as a semi. It really has FTF's on almost every single shot, and I'm not using cheap sub-sonic bulk stuff either. Worst $300 gun EVER IMHO.

p.s. - I think the P22 takes 1st place on the poll.

confed sailor
June 28, 2008, 12:15 AM
Sixth would be a CZ52 surplus - not very accurate, possibly due to the poor sights.

well you must have got a bad one as both of mine will hold minute of man at 100 yards out of a ransom rest.

WVMountainBoy
June 28, 2008, 04:03 AM
Ruger P94DC, bought it new, was bad about FTF's from the get go, had a light hammer strike. Would own any Ruger Revolver, but won't bother with any of their semi's...too many others in the price point.

jjohnson
June 28, 2008, 01:40 PM
I've been shooting handguns for 45 years now, so I've had more disappointments than I'd like to admit, but I'll post a few in case newbies are considering something I did wrong.

1 - Charter Arms Bulldog - ugh....
2 - Taurus revolvers, 441 in .44 Special (several mechanical failures) and 941,also mechanical failures. Upon disassembly, they're not designed for durability in my humble opinion.
3 - Kel-tec P40. Discontinued because it has an attitude (recoil in such a small package). Mechanical failure - broke the pin in the slide lock, rendering it inoperable. Too dangerous for a carry gun if it'll do that.
4 - FEG GKK .45ACP double action. Big pistol, should have a 5" barrel instead of 4". One of the worst triggers ever encountered in my years.
5 - Walther P1 - mechanical failure, lost its extractor. I know the design is really good or the Germans wouldn't have kept it in the P38 form, but mine is a French (I spit :barf:) copy.
6 - Iver Johnson Trapper (.22 revolver) ooh, junk....

In net, the disappointments have been 'bargain basement' buys, including the surplus P1. I've learned that even though the top manufacturers charge more, on a really good day, you may get what you pay for.

For the Charter Arms and Taurus .44s, I should have gone S&W, same with the 941 - should have bought a Kit Gun.
For the Kel-tec, should have bought small Glock or Kahr, or something similar.
For the FEG, many full size autos such as another M1911, S&W 4006, Glock, would have been better deal.
For the Walther, same comment.
For the Iver Johnson, cheap is what cheap does (sorry, Forrest). :cool:

I'm not a snob for top manufacturers. I hate the S&W idiot lawyer locks (I'm sorry, idiot and lawyer can be redundant terms) and some of the other stupid things lately. I simply haven't found a lot of fault with their quality of design. Reliability's a big deal to me since I'm a vet and ccw. I wouldn't carry anything in the list above. I don't care if they're ugly (like my CZ52) or cheap (like my Makarov) but they have to work. Every time. I won't forgive mechanical failures that can be isolated to poor design or poor manufacturing.

smith627
July 1, 2008, 10:00 PM
Smith & Wesson Mod 5906 in 9mm. I'm a big S&W fan and own a 1970's vintage Model 39 9mm which holds 8 rounds in clip. I wanted a stainless hi capacity 9mm. The 15 shot Mod 5906 was comfortable and highly accurage but after going thru the first clip, it would start to have regular FTE's. I tried different factory ammo plus my reloads and had the same problem. Took it back to my gun shop where I bought it and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It was my primary home defense gun and I didn't have full confidence in it. I kept it extremely clean but the problems started after the first 15-16 shots. I finally sold it and bought the stainless Beretta 92FS and never had any problems with it and it was just as accurate as the Smith. I still love Smith & Wesson and figure I just got a finicky 5906. Never a problem with my Model 39. It's a keeper.

kcshooter
July 1, 2008, 11:50 PM
My 3rd gun and first full-sized auto was a Glock 19. After all the hype and talk, I couldn't believe I couldn't get the sights aligned without breaking my wrist. It had the worst ergonomics. One of a very few guns I sold that I don't regret getting rid of.

grizz5675
July 2, 2008, 03:27 AM
stoeger cougar 40 s&w, just couldnt fall in love with it for some reason.Id rather carry my bulky pt99 taurus.

Boats
July 2, 2008, 11:07 AM
My biggest disappointment was easily a HK USP 45c.

Definitely much more desirable in the wanting than in the having. It featured the worst trigger ever put on a "combat" handgun. No regrets dumping that one onto the next hype believer.

redneckdan
July 2, 2008, 02:17 PM
ruger blackhawk in .44mag...just wasn't my cup o' tea

familywgn
July 2, 2008, 02:30 PM
Another vote for The Judge. Neat concept, but it would lock up after 2 shots of .410.:cuss: Now it shot the .45LC great, but the price on those....

buenhec
July 2, 2008, 11:10 PM
Kel Tec P3AT, sent it back to the factory 3x.

alaskanativeson
July 2, 2008, 11:29 PM
AMT 380 Backup. Total turd of a gun.

My Jennings wasn't much to speak of but I knew that when I bought it. I wasn't nearly as upset with it as I was with that AMT.

I have to say, I'm surprised to see the USP's on this list. My very favorite gun is my USP 45c. Did I get lucky or were you just an unlucky one? Mine has been 100% reliable, very accurate, and the trigger is a real beauty.

Fleetwood_Captain
July 3, 2008, 02:20 AM
A stainless Colt Series 80 .38 super 1911 with factory target sights.
Original box, 2 mags, colt factory wrap-around rubber grips.

I agreed to pay the seller's asking price of $500, but the seller changed her mind and sold it to her father instead.

I've never been the same since...

woad_yurt
July 3, 2008, 03:22 AM
Walther P22.

contactcole
July 6, 2008, 05:36 AM
HK USP45c

The HK is very expensive and customer service sucked at the time. May be better now, but not then. Could not get parts (backup mag , flat base pad and followers) when I called and attitude of CS rep. was, "Nope, don't have those. Should have a shipment in about 2 months". Gun ran fine, but the trigger was terrible. Long heavy first shot, mushy in SA and I don't like the LEM because it keeps the hammer spring under full compression always. HUGE, fat gun for an 8-shot .45acp. I bought it because I wanted a.45acp defensive gun, but it was pretty much useless: too big for CCW and a full-size house gun. I've tried the HK three times now... never again.

Snowbandit
July 6, 2008, 04:51 PM
COLT - Pocket Nine - Oh, it's a sexy little thing. Expensive too! But the trigger feels like dragging your finger though the mud! I had to have it and my darling wife bought it for my birthday many years ago. Custom, Milt Sparks, holster to go with it too. Accurate enough. I've aced the department qualification several times with it. I just hate it. Finally, years ago, locked it in the safe and went back to a S&W 640.

Where's that guy that had all his troubles with the Bushy pistol? Maybe we should talk about a swap or something?

Crow1108
July 7, 2008, 03:01 PM
I've been lucky enough not to own any lemons. But a few of the ones I've fired that my friends have owned, lemme tell ya...

Bersa Thunder 380 concealed carry(friend #1's gun): Seemed to not want to feed ammo quite a bit. Loaded chamber indicator came from the factory without a spring, so it just kinda flopped around. Frame cracked on it using standard factory pressure ammo. He finally got a new one from the factory, sold the new one, and bought a 1911.

Walther P22 (Friend #2's gun): Seemed to jam every 2 or 3 rounds. Only fed mini-mags reliably (kind of defeated the purpose of owning a .22 for cheap plinking).

wristtwister
July 7, 2008, 09:51 PM
Clearly, it's a jump ball between the Jennings Model 59 and the Zastava M88. Neither of them is good for much more than paperweights, but they're cheap guns and I didn't expect much. The Jennings is a "Saturday night special" that I bought at a gun show, and won't pass a "melt test".

When I bought the Zastava, (new) however, I invested about 10 hours of retrofit work to no avail, and I would at least like a gun that shoots in the general direction that I point it. No such luck with the EAA import treasure from Serbia. It's been junk right out of the box. It's better since I took the raised edges out of the slide path, but it is about as accurate as throwing rocks.

I actually think the problem is the design of the recoil spring rod, which has a moveable joint in it, and a lot of "slop" in the barrel to chamber fit-up with the firing pin and extractor. It had enough oil to back up the national oil reserves gumming it up, and took hours of scrubbing to clean it out. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend either one to anybody. The only things they do right is go "bang".

WT

Gibbles
July 8, 2008, 07:24 PM
I have had good luck with Glocks, 1911's and even my P22 works great and has several thousand rounds through it.

I did not shoot my Glock 21 well at first, but one day while dry firing it my hand found the sweet spot and I have been able to shoot it well ever sense.
It's now my sidearm for 3gun.

The only gun I really had a problem with was my Kel-tec P32, I bought it used from the local gun store, and that thing had constant FTF and FTE, I messed around with it and I fixed the FTF by filing a small ridge off on the ejector and using a drill but with my fingers to debur the firing pin hole on the breach face, I fixed the failure to eject by pulling the Ejector spring out and forcing a small screw driver through the coils to expand it out, The thing runs flawless now. :D

I have cobay M11/9 and it runs great but it will only feed FMJ.

My Uberti Cattleman runs great but I did have a handspring snap after 100 rounds and me playing around with it using snap caps, simple fix with a new part, I had the same thing happen to my Black powder 1851 navy, and it's been good ever sence, the Cattleman seems solid now.

Hawk
July 8, 2008, 09:16 PM
This thread is still alive?

OK, biggest disappointment: Pythons. Before anybody gets a case of the vapors, I'll note that this doesn't reflect much on the Colt factory - Pythons these days, by definition, are used. The quality of that former use is sometimes suspect - trigger jobs that result in light strikes and a host of other ills. I bought three, kept one - the other two sucked out loud. The collectors are more than welcome to any that are left. All three would have been great had I not wished to, you know (horrors), shoot them.

Second place goes to a used AMT hardballer. It worked hard to suck as much as the Pythons and generally succeeded. However, in the case of the hardballer, I learned after the first dog and gave it up as a bad job.

There was an Ultra CDPII that blew chunks but it pales in comparison to the Hardballer and the Pythons. The CDP would run with tweaks - there was no help for the others.

July 9, 2008, 08:37 PM
:barf:

The WORST handgun I've ever owned in terms of ergonomics, build quality, feed problems etc. I traded it for a new SIG220 which is one of the BEST handguns I've ever owned/fired.

Hawk,
I bought my Python new in '92 and other than a sticky cylinder release (recently corrected) it's been 100% reliable and VERY accurate. I had a roller bearing seer installed back in the early '90s (other than that it's stock) and I've never had a single light strike, misfire etc. I wouldn't sell or trade my Python.

:)

goon
July 9, 2008, 10:13 PM
I've probably said this already because this thread is really old.
But mine was a SIG P-226 9mm.
I had wanted one for a long time. Every time I saw one I handled it and they pointed like an extension of my hand. Everything I read about them praised them for their accuracy, durability, and reliability. A P-226 was my holy grail.
So I worked a lot of OT and sold some stuff and was finally able to buy a CPO 9mm. It wouldn't eject a live round from the chamber.
Stupid problem really but what if you have an FTF when you're really counting on the gun and can't get the chamber clear?
But I wasn't worried - I had a CPO warranty and SIG was an honorable company.
They would make this right.

After a couple trips back for repairs, the problem evolved.
I listened to one SIG employee talk to his manager about my problem - he forgot to put me on hold and just lay the phone down, so I got to listen to them making fun of me.
SIG's customer service people then tried to screw me over and tell me that my defect and the ones that arose from their "repairs" were normal with any semi-automatic handgun. They also tried to tell me that their gunsmith said there wasn't anything wrong with my gun and that he WOULD NOT work on it again.
At that point, I blew my stack.
The customer service manager took over and told me that this was a misunderstanding.
Misunderstanding? How could that be? I just sat here and listened to you telling the other guy what to tell me. Doesn't sound like a misunderstanding to me - sounds like he did exactly what you told him to do, which was tell me to go fly a kite.
I had to be a complete A-hole to get them to honor their warranty. The sent me a replacement P-226, which I sold without even loading it.

That has been my biggest handgun disappointment - not just with a gun but with an entire company.

HisSoldier
July 10, 2008, 12:14 AM
Kel-Tec P3AT. Don't trust your life to one, give one to your worst enemy so it will be him holding the gun that won't go bang!:)

Thunder496
July 10, 2008, 01:57 AM
S&W Sigma 40V (.40 cal) is by fare the biggest P.O.S. gun I ever bought. I bought it from a local gun shop for $250 used for my first auto loader. The 2 big selling points where: It was cheep, and the lady told me S&W had a lifetime warranty. It would shoot about 6" low @ 15 yd. the trigger was horrible, I would guess 10-15lb pull. The firing pin broke so I sent it back to S&W and they replaced the hole slide and barrel assembly with the latest 40VE model free of charge. When I got it back it wouldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Sold it to a dealer at a gun show, and was happy to get the $200 he offered for it which made a good down payment on a Glock 26. To this day I would probably not by a S&W auto because of that gun.

ExSoldier
July 10, 2008, 04:18 AM
Tie between early model ParaOrdnance P10 45 and a Springfield Armory micro 45.

PAPACHUCK
July 10, 2008, 09:44 AM
Glock 22.

I will buy another Glock, but it won't be a 22.

kildar
July 11, 2008, 03:39 AM
AMT .380 Backup. Painful to shoot. Double action trigger sucks. Almost impossible to breakdown to clean. Too heavy to carry as a backup. Thinking about using it for a fishing weight.

JohnnyGrey
July 11, 2008, 01:01 PM
Taurus PT111

Worked OK for a while, then began light striking and firing in full auto bursts. Taurus sent a new one after 4 months though which works well. In the meanwhile, I bought a XD9SC which made the new PT111 obsolete in my collection. I have no desire to see if the PT111 can be as reliable as the XD, so I'm probably going to trade it in towards a CZ75 compact.

1KPerDay
July 11, 2008, 02:02 PM
Glock 22.

I will buy another Glock, but it won't be a 22.
Try a 23. Or a 19.

tipoc
July 11, 2008, 04:04 PM
My biggest disappointment was Kahr PM9. These are very well made guns and just the right size, shape and weight for CCW. I'd fired a friends and rented one at my indoor range and found it to be both reliable and accurate so I bought one.

I brought it to the range for testing over several trips. I found it to be very reliable with any ammo I put through it. It was my own tendency to shoot low with it when shooting at speed from the draw that disappointed me. I could shoot accurately with it in slow aimed fired but the ergonomics of the gun and the da trigger did in it's usefulness to me. I can shoot a wheelgun fast and accurately, same with a 1911, but not so this excellent little gun. Despite the Kahr's many good characteristics it's usefulness to me was disappointing.

tipoc

Hiaboo
July 11, 2008, 11:06 PM
I'm surprised at all of the posts about the p22. Mine works very well, even down to subsonics. Yes the accuracy is something to be desired but it's not THAT horrible, but again it's not a target pistol anyway.. I have my worked over 1911 for that.

Again my p22 is the worst pistol I have out of several revolvers/auto's I have. It's a fun little gun but that's it.

FLoppyTOE
July 13, 2008, 09:30 PM
Taurus 851. A week after I bought it I needed to replace the firing pin spring. Last month at the range I went to reload and the entire cylinder assembly fell off. This is my SD pocket pistol. Plenty of people will swear by Taurus, but I think 'm going to sell and buy a Smith.

Ruger Redhawk
July 16, 2008, 11:52 AM
I had an issue with a Taurus 38spl snubbie ultra lite I bought for the wife for her ccw gun. I can't even remember what model number it was.We went to the range and fired a couple rounds through it. I noticed the cylinder wouldn't lock up on three of the chambers. It was quite disappointing. It was sent back to Taurus and it was repaired in a timely manor. When it was returned my dealer allowed me what I had paid for it. I got her a Smith M637 instead. That was my first and will be my last experience with Taurus.From all my reading on different sites Taurus are hit and miss.

yosarian
July 16, 2008, 12:59 PM
Barreta mini cougar,the gun ran fine but it just never fit my hand right.No matter how hard I tried I could not hit the broad side of a barn.Traded for an xd 9mm and never looked back.

KiltedClaymore
July 16, 2008, 01:09 PM
not a cartrige firearm, bp. i picked up a colt 1860 .44 pretty cheap one day. take it shooting, and i found out why. it had a ring in the barrel like you wouldnt belive. bullets never went where i wanted them, just AROUND where i wanted them. ditched that thing quick.

Stevie-Ray
July 16, 2008, 10:07 PM
First was a AMT Govt. Pretty gun to be sure, with a lot of cool features that you pay a lot more money for on other makes. Also in a time when all 1911s were blued or parkerized, these were stainless. A dream come true for me! Dreams became nightmares when the gun absolutely couldn't get through a magazine without a malfunction. FTEs, lots of stovepipes, FTFs even with hot ball, etc. I sent it back to AMT, they "fixed" it, and it coughed only 1 or 2 times per magazine instead of 3 or 4. This was after I'd used up all my donated suggestions like, "Use UZI, it's a lot hotter and it will break the gun in faster," and "Grease that puppy up and make it slick" and the obvious "Oh, I see the problem, you've got too much oil on this thing.":rolleyes: It was traded at a gun show for a Colt Mark IV and cash, and I was eternally happy.:p

Then the PT-111 came. I was so excited that Taurus had designed their own gun and it didn't look like a Beretta or S&W! And then my buddy bought one. It was so small and thin, I had to have one for my carry gun. Big mistake. Didn't notice when shooting my buddy's that the mag release was touchy. When I got mine I noticed. And noticed the mag popping into my hand about 5 or six times every 20 rounds or so. I then began to notice that accuracy wasn't all that great and about that time I was deflated. I replaced it with a Glock 26 and never looked back. No problems with the Glock, and it is far superior to the Taurus in accuracy. Now my buddy wants a G26.;)

MCgunner
July 16, 2008, 11:42 PM
Just goes to show, you can get negative opinions on ANYthing.

Phonetic Diabetic
July 17, 2008, 03:03 AM
Just went through all 9 pages to find that:

a) Walther P22s are the most mentioned.
b) Nobody had a bad thing to say about Hi-Point

evan price
July 17, 2008, 04:04 AM
Well, my P22 is a great little gun. 7000 through it and nothing to worry me.

That said, I think my greatest disappointment was my first Glock 21.
I've owned other Glocks, and another G21, as a matter of fact I still own that first G21. It's had less than 500 through it. I tried really hard to like Glocks. I bought a bunch of them. I sold all except that first one.
I had never owned or shot a semiauto, or a Glock, before this. Had held a G17. I drank deeply of the Glock koolaid. I preordered a G21 as soon as they were available, got one of the first. Waited and waited for it!
Got it, and it was, meh.
Too big. Too clunky. Too poor grip. I am a big guy, and I thought it was too big. I added a Hogue grip sleeve to get it to fit my hand better- but it only made it bigger. I never shot it much, because I had such high hopes for it, and it turned out to be, well, not what I wanted. A disappointment.

I thought it was all polymers, but I got hold of an XD9 and it was like, WOW, this is how the Glock should feel, and shoot.

Now Sig, I've never had a Sig that I didn't like.

KBintheSLC
July 17, 2008, 02:50 PM
S&W made PPK....Fritz Walther has got to be spinning in his grave over how S&W "improved" the PPK.

I second that motion. I bought my wife a S&W made PPK/S about a year ago... almost $500 out the door. It was the worst gun I have ever owned. About as unreliable as a Chinese motorcycle, piss-poor machine work on the interior, and it beat up my hands more than any 9mm.

I sold it back to the gun shop at about a $150 loss, and bought a Sig 239. Best thing I could have done.

ge0624me
July 17, 2008, 08:37 PM
i trusted my shooting buddies, i believe the line was, ''just get you a kimber and be done with it'' a Kimber custom2, could'nt get it to chamber the first round, especially hollows, gotrid of it after trying everything...

dsgrntldPW
July 17, 2008, 11:37 PM
Just about any of the Taurus revolvers I ever bought EXCEPT the 9 shot .22LR (Mod. 94 IIRC), it was very good. The rest (3 or 4) all went back at least once for repair. I think Taurus' best handgun has been the Model PT92 9mm pistol. Their revolvers though....pretty sucky. And I'm seriously considering that new 24/7 OSS in .45ACP.

Another was my Springfield XD45 Tactical. Gun functioned great, shot well; it just didn't work for me. And I really tried to like that gun.

jed_p
August 7, 2008, 02:46 PM
Hmmm...
"Biggest handgun disappointment. " That would have to be not having one when I needed one.

RangerM9
August 8, 2008, 12:45 AM
hmm....

my worst.....CZ-52....thing tried to self disassemble while shooting it.....not a good quality, threw lead all over, terrible feel in the hand....loud as all get out!

my Ruger p95 is the most perfect functioning gun i have, feels fine in hand to me.....

no probs from my xd45 or walther P22, but have only fired those once (dang hard to get to the range with an infant at home these days!)

just bought my wife a Bersa .380 looking to go try that one soon!

VegasOPM
August 8, 2008, 01:48 AM
My Kimber CDP with the big dot night sights. It shot like a dream, until the Police Dept called me to tell me it was stolen and I had to surrender it.:banghead: The funny thing is that I bought it from a pawn shop that has to send in the serial number to the police before selling it. The police had already signed off on the sale.

John Wayne
August 8, 2008, 02:14 AM
Hi-Standard B Model. Honestly, I can't say this was anything against the company as I bought it from idiot who had neglected it; but seeing as how we're talking about disappointments:

I loved the way the pistol felt. It balanced perfectly in my hand, racking the slide was like melted butter, and the trigger was nothing short of amazing. With that said, I never got more than 3 rounds in a row through it without it jamming. Rounds would nosedive, miss the chamber completely, or shave a chunk of lead off before sliding in. I tried bending the mag lips in, out, back to normal, etc. The thing wouldn't eject, and shot about two feet from point of aim when you did get a round through the thing. Priced replacement parts for it (ejecter, new mag and grip) and would have spent more to repair it than I had in it. Tried over 10 different brands of .22 ammo before finally giving up and selling it.

yeti
August 8, 2008, 02:45 AM
Second place goes to a used AMT hardballer. It worked hard to suck as much as the Pythons and generally succeeded. However, in the case of the hardballer, I learned after the first dog and gave it up as a bad job.

So you are the one who bought it. Lord but those early Arcadia AMT Hardballers were amazing. They looked real good, and presented a real great opportunity to practice every failure drill there is. FTF, FTE, stovepipe, double feed, and sometimes just plain old 'stopped working'. I'm surprised anyone ever made a stainless 1911 after the AMT debacle.
The one time I bought a pistol just to be on the cutting edge, and I ended up enduring the death of a thousand cuts. But it sure was pretty to look at.

btaylor73
August 9, 2008, 01:18 AM
A toss up between a Walther P-22 or the KelTec .380
Walther looked cool at the time but ended up with a Ruger MK II (my favorite gun that I shoot)

FranklyTodd
August 9, 2008, 02:49 AM
Sig P239 CCP package. $756 of jam-o-matic fun!

Loomis
August 10, 2008, 11:01 PM
Worst dissapointment ever was a firesorm mini 45.

It was basically an old Llama style 1911 with a short barrel and a short grip and a double stack mag. In fact, I think the mag even had "Llama" stamped on it.

Anywho, I got it barely used, really really cheap. It jammed about every other round. I fired about 200 round through it to break it in and it still jammed. THen I took it apart and polished all the important parts. fired another 200 rounds. It got better but was still jamming at least 2 out of ten shots. So I took it apart, deburred this and that, reshaped the feed ramp a little, reshaped the extractor a little, then fired a couple hundred more rounds. Now it's jamming about one in ten. And it's started locking back the slide after every shot. So I took it apart again, fixed the slide lock by grinding a deeper divet for the ball detent to lock onto, opened up the top of the chamber just a teensy bit. Then fired about 3 more boxes of ammo. Down to one jam every other ten round magazine.

Ok, not bad. Then I loaded it up with hollowpoint ammo...jeezuz! Jamming POS! $%##!

I sold it for a 25 dollar loss and told the dude it won't feed hollowpoints. I even told him I'd buy it back from him if he didn't like it.

He liked it.

He ran about a thousand rounds through it and told me it started feeding FMJ flawlessly and only jammed once per 10 round clip on hollowpoints. He said he's keeping it cuz he thinks he can get it to work perfectly in another thousand rounds.

Well, about 2000 rounds later it started throwing spent cases right into his face and was getting worse at jamming, he gave up and traded it in on a springfield XD.

MMCSRET
August 11, 2008, 11:58 AM
Lots of disappointments concerning handguns, too many to list. To sum it up, I'm disappointed by every one of them that I don't own!!!!!!!

dirty dave
August 12, 2008, 03:28 AM
taurus 44 special revolver .like new when I got it.compared it to a old little loose s&w 38 m&p made before the war and the smith out shot it everytime with every brand of ammo I had.not even close.not a shooter out of the house.

Hawk
August 12, 2008, 12:17 PM
So you are the one who bought it. Lord but those early Arcadia AMT Hardballers were amazing. They looked real good, and presented a real great opportunity to practice every failure drill there is. FTF, FTE, stovepipe, double feed, and sometimes just plain old 'stopped working'. I'm surprised anyone ever made a stainless 1911 after the AMT debacle.

It would be nice to think that I bought the specific one you got rid of as it pains me to consider there may have been more than one example of that nasty piece of work. But there were probably hundreds or thousands and the reputation of semiautos generally has yet to recover from the episode.

Mine was unique in that it's the only gun I only owned for 4 hours - picked it up at lunchtime, went to the local range, one of the rare cases that managed to extract without intervention came straight back and opened up a cut on my nose that I didn't notice.

Hilarity ensued as the flow of blood led counter dude to believe I'd shot myself. After the bleeding stopped I took it back and traded it for something that ran. It's amazing that in the short time I was shooting it I learned about every malf a 1911 could be expected to produce. Ironic that one of the times (perhaps the only time) it managed to feed, fire, extract and eject it drew blood from the hapless owner.

There was even a cleaning thrown in during the short exercise without result. No doubt the most interesting almost 50 rounds I've ever put mostly downrange.

P5 Guy
August 12, 2008, 10:41 PM
Walther PP in .32ACP.
Tighten the grips and it would not fire, I could not move the trigger. Back off the grip screw and it would fire, but the DA pull must have been 25#.
It was a shame because it was a real nice Berlin Police pistol.
I see no sense in having a gun that is that hard to shoot.

Cactus Jack Arizona
August 14, 2008, 11:12 PM
I've got to put my Walther P22 on the list with other P22's. Besides being finicky about what brand of ammo I put through it, the recoil spring was crap. The slide would stick half open. My P22 took several hundred rounds to break in and even then, accuracy was below average at anything more than 4 feet.

But the main kicker for me was that it put three shells between my face and my safety glasses. After suffering three painful burns around my eyes, that was it for me. I traded the little pos and if I never see another one of those things, it will be too soon.

Orion8472
August 15, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'd have to say my Springfield Armory EMP. . . . . .disappointing that I didn't buy it sooner! . . . . . . . .Oh, you wanted actual GUNS that are disappointing, . . . . . . oh, . . .yeah, then another vote for the P22. It's "okay", but not as I had hoped when I bought it. Trigger, small grip, and light weight really makes it a challenge to group well with it. . . . and the occasional spent shell hitting my face isn't all that desireable either. I'm all about how fun a gun is to shoot. My P22 definitely isn't like my Mark II, . . . or EMP (but that's a "d'uh" statement if I've ever said one)!

bikertrash63
February 7, 2009, 07:15 PM
A Taurus 9MM, I don't even remember the model. I did some trading for it, took it to the range, put one mag through it, stoppped at a gun shop on the way home and traded it in on a Winchester 22mag lever action. If a criminal was coming at me I would have thrown that piece of scrap iron at them, I would have had a better chance of stopping them and less chance of hurting myself when the loose fitting junk flew apart. JB

Elm Creek Smith
February 8, 2009, 04:59 AM
A Western Auto Revelation .22 revolver (High Standard Sentinel) with fixed sights bought years and years ago. It had a six inch barrel and wouldn't put one round in the same place for any of the nine chambers. I shot it from a gun vise, and the target looked like I'd used a .410 with #4 buck.

ECS

PS. Almost forgot - the worst disappointment was when Uncle Sam took away my Pistol, M1911A1, .45 Cal., after 16 years and issued me a Pistol, M9, 9x19 mm NATO. - ECS

MCgunner
February 8, 2009, 11:57 AM
Ever since I was old enough to know what a pistol was I wanted a Charter arms Explorer pistol. Finally I found one and traded my always faithful Pheonix HP22 for it. It was terrible. Refused to feed no matter what I fed it. Bought new mags, that didn't help. When it did shoot I was lucky to put 2 shots in the same zip code. I'm sure there are good Explorers out there, but that soured me on ever getting another one.

I bought one of those, still have it, got it with 2 barrels for 70 bucks. It's pretty accurate and reliable. The trigger is TERRIBLE and unfixable, trust me. The gun is easy to "smith", though. Feeding problems usually involve bending the feed ramp (on the magazine) to the proper angle. You can also chamfer the chamber mouth which will increase reliability if there's a burr or it's not cut just right from the factory. I never had to do that. I have an AR7 rifle, too, and it works fine. I got a 15 round mag for it and spend 45 minutes getting the feed ramp on that mag right, though. The 8 rounders are flawless.

Some folks aren't too mechanically inclined, this gun's not for them. I am a mechanic and I can handle it. LOL!

S&W-Keeper
February 8, 2009, 03:49 PM
Sig Trailside,it has been back to the factory 3 times,the last time the trigger guard broke off.I am afraid to shoot it anymore.I probably should trade it off.

RDA 226sig
February 8, 2009, 05:13 PM
The Walther P22 was an awful buy - poor accuracy and awful trigger. It is in very close competition with S&W Sigma. Poor trigger design!!

nonseven
February 8, 2009, 07:24 PM
Colt Diamondback, blue, 4" barrel, in .22lr.

Beautiful gun, double action pull like glass, but wouldn't keep all shots on a dinner plate at 10 yards.

bikerbill
February 9, 2009, 01:52 PM
Every time I saw a Bond Cowboy Defender derringer, I started to drool ... just had to have one ... finally got it in 9mm ... what a downer ... I thought it would be fun to carry while walking the dog or whatever, but it weighs a ton for only two shots, is really hard to cock, REALLY hard to recock for the second shot, especially under pressure, slow to reload (God forbid you have to reload under pressure) and generally not what I imagined at all ... unloaded it in trade at the gunstore where I bought it. They were kind enough not to laugh (they warned me!) and gave me about 2/3rd of the price I paid ... live and learn ...

drewball
February 10, 2009, 03:05 AM
Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag 7 1/2 " barrel with a scope. The gun shot well enough and even had a decent trigger but... It had the balance and appeal of a 5 pound sledge hammer with a 12" handle. Traded it for a S&W 610 also with a scope. Its the ONLY handgun that I have ever gotten rid of and it is not missed one bit. Years later I did pick up another 44 Mag except it was a S&W this time. It is 10X the gun

hemiram
February 11, 2009, 08:01 PM
Yeti- So you are the one who bought it. Lord but those early Arcadia AMT Hardballers were amazing. They looked real good, and presented a real great opportunity to practice every failure drill there is. FTF, FTE, stovepipe, double feed, and sometimes just plain old 'stopped working'. I'm surprised anyone ever made a stainless 1911 after the AMT debacle.

Yes, the AMT Hardballer Longslide I had was an excellent test to see if a person was stable or not when presented with a never ending series of problems.

Stovepipes, slide hanging open, it did it all. The only thing I can say good about it was that it actually was better than the Colt Commander I bought to replace it after giving up on it. That gun didn't have a straight part on it, and was the worst shooting new gun I have ever had.

GTFord1
February 11, 2009, 08:14 PM
I think the worst gun on the planet by far is anything made by Glock. I hear all the hype about what great guns they are but I have never found a good one yet. They are worthless beyond about 7 yards. I've never seen one hold better than an 8 to 10 inch pattern beyond that distance. They jamb every 4 or 5 rounds (at least once every magazine full). They come all to pieces after about 2000 rounds.

The last thing I want to be considered is a Glock apologist (I've owned a couple, sold them both, and I'm getting another one because it was cheap,) but that's flat out BS.

Every statement in that quote is flat out hyperbole with zero basis. If they were lemons of that magnitude police departments all over the place wouldn't be using them.

Yo Mama
February 11, 2009, 08:15 PM
Well the thread has been open long enough for me to answer :neener:

1. Taurus m85-Had just gotten a raise, and wanted a serious gun for the pocket. Great, untill I shot the thing, and couldn't hit a thing with it. Forcing cone went to hell, and 2 trips to the factory later, I sold it.

2. Ruger p89-bought used, many problems

oklahoma caveman
February 12, 2009, 01:24 AM
well i havent really had any pos handguns yet, unless you count the nagant, neat gun, just didn really do it for me. definately not a pos tho.

i just find it interesting that in a total of 248? different posts that the hipoint pistols and rock island armory 1911's have not been mentioned. for the price and the amount of ppl who seem to own 1 or the other ( myself incuded ria 1911) you would think they would have been mentioned by now.

by the way, i LOVE my rock

If you enjoyed reading about "Biggest handgun disappointment." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!