How many of you use Mobil 1 on your auto pistols?

PDA

tblt
March 5, 2008, 09:03 PM
I am new to auto pistols just bought a P95, I have 4 revolvers and have always used Hoppe's #9 oil but I here a lot of talk about Mobil !.I use Mobil 1 5w-30 in both my trucks should I be using it on my guns?
If so what weight?
5-30
10-30
10-40
15-40 or 50

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you use Mobil 1 on your auto pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
floydster
March 5, 2008, 09:08 PM
I use Castrol synthetic 5-20, I change every 3500 rounds.

dstark
March 5, 2008, 09:22 PM
I use mobile 1 in my motorcycles, and hoppes #9 in my guns. Personally I dont know what your going to gain using motor oil instead of gun oil. Maybe with my next oil change I'll try some hoppe's in the honda.

Dan-O
March 5, 2008, 09:26 PM
Don't use it on my handguns, but have used it on my waterfowl and turkey gun when I know it is going to be wet out. Provides superior moisture protection.

bikerdoc
March 5, 2008, 09:30 PM
hoppes #9
rem oil
breakfree clp

tblt
March 5, 2008, 09:33 PM
I think most people would rather use it in there trucks but it is slick and I could see how it would work(new oil not used)

Mad Magyar
March 5, 2008, 09:38 PM
I've tried Mobil 1 in the heavier weight...Not bad as a lubricant, especially in cold weather.
However, being in the hot SouthWest, I find run-off to prevalent in most oils and have gone to grease for consistent lubrication...:)

1SOW
March 5, 2008, 09:42 PM
+2 for floydster! ;) but I use 10W-30 twice /yr in TX

P. Plainsman
March 5, 2008, 09:46 PM
Breakfree CLP,

Hoppe's #9 (the smell of handgunning)

Halo
March 5, 2008, 09:47 PM
I've used Mobil 1 15W-50 for years on all my guns. I'm currently using Amsoil 5W-40 because that's what was left over from my car's last oil change :).

Why use it? A quart of high quality synthetic motor oil will last a loooong time for guns. I'm more than confident in its ability to satisfy the comparatively simple lubrication needs of a firearm. I first became aware of people using Mobil 1 over at the Glock Talk forum years ago. It has many adherents there.

joebogey
March 5, 2008, 11:52 PM
I use mobile 1 in my motorcycles, and hoppes #9 in my guns. Personally I dont know what your going to gain using motor oil instead of gun oil. Maybe with my next oil change I'll try some hoppe's in the honda.

Mobile 1 in my 3 bikes as well.
Militec 1 on my guns

And unless you enjoy walking, I'd skip the Hoppes in the scoot. I doubt even a Honda could stand that.

The Bushmaster
March 5, 2008, 11:55 PM
Only cleaners, solvents and oils I use on all of my pistols, revolvers and rifles is HOPPE'S for the last 50 years...I still have my first rifle (.30 WCF) mod 94.

By The Way. A little dab behind each ear attracts the ladies...

icanthitabarn
March 5, 2008, 11:56 PM
This may not count, considering the firearms involved, these being 2 AMT Automags, which have driven me half nuts since I bought them. After trying Mobil 1, they would not feed at all, when especially, one of them worked fine. I tried Militec 1 and everything went fine again. Seems weird.

rbernie
March 6, 2008, 12:17 AM
CLP.

rooter
March 6, 2008, 12:18 AM
Used Mobile 1 synthetic one time. It smells, was runny, and seemed to accumulate grit more than gun oils. Wont use it again.

Texan
March 6, 2008, 12:19 AM
Was having problems with a new Bushmaster AR-15 jamming about a couple rounds. Tried several different clips, same problem. Tried green followers..tried poly mags, steel mags. Same results.

Have a couple friends over in the sand box so contacted them to see if they had any ideas on what my problem might be. One of them advised me to soak the bolt and carrier in a jar of ATF over night..just wipe it off, put in the AR and blast away.

Did so this past weekend shot 200 rounds in 4 different mags and not one jam. He indicated they do this to all the new AR's that come over. Said you can't beat it, $2.00 a quart is a lot cheaper than the other stuff.

o~\o

Chester32141
March 6, 2008, 12:19 AM
Hoppes #9
Kroil
Beakfree CLP

Gun Slinger
March 6, 2008, 01:07 AM
I use Mobil 1 20W50 (VTWIN) on all of my guns.(Glock 17' and 19's, HK USP's, S&W 5906's, Winchester M70's, Tikka T3's and Arsenal SAM7's) I have done so for years and have had excellent performance and great satisfaction. I do this not to save money as some might suspect, but rather for the fact that it is the best lubricant by far that I have ever used on my guns, bar none, and I have tried most, if not all, of them.

It is PAO (Group IV) based, possesses excellent lubricity, has an almost "grease-like" viscosity that mitigates migration (reduces running and dripping) quite well and remains present on my guns even after extended firing sessions and days of neglect in the field/on hunts where an immediate cleaning and maintenance is not always possible. It's functional temperature range is -59.8F (pour point) to +518F (flash point).

While many question the use of "automotive" lubricants on their guns they never question the fact that the "gun specific" lubricants (like Break Free CLP and LP and FP-10) are also composed primarily of the very same PAO basestocks (just consult the MSDS's on these products) and simply have some additional solvents added to their formulation in order to make them an "all-in-one" product.

Mobil 1 20W50 has an additive package that has high levels of ZDDP and Molybdenum in it (EP/AW agents) as well as AO (anti-oxidative) additives in its formulation. These can be confirmed easily by viewing a VOA (Virgin Oil Analysis) of Mobil 1 20W50. Additionally, M1 20W50 has a decent level of detergency within its formulation which helps keep dirt and firing residues in suspension making clean-up easier after long shooting sessions.

G60
March 6, 2008, 01:31 AM
I use Mobil 1 ATF on my XD. i noticed RemOil and CLP seemed to evaporate off the rails in short time.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Spyvie
March 6, 2008, 01:42 AM
Dang, Gun Slinger... I'm sold!

Gun Slinger
March 6, 2008, 01:52 AM
:) :)

TimboKhan
March 6, 2008, 02:45 AM
Personally, I don't use oil period on my autos, favoring instead graphite grease, and not very much of it. These questions about using motor oil on guns come up once in awhile, and I personally don't see the sense in it, but thats just me. Enough guys have used it with satisfaction that it doesn't seem like a bad idea, but it just isn't anything I am going to try anytime soon, if ever

evan price
March 6, 2008, 02:59 AM
My Sigs like to run wet and I found that Mobil-1 synthetic works great for that purpose. However I also use silicone grease here and there, too.

LUPUS
March 6, 2008, 07:38 AM
For extended periods of shooting, I use Mobil 1. It stays on the surfaces it applied, won't evoporate as it gets hot or get sticky as it gets cold.

I also use Wilson's Ultimate Lube grease on the frame rails of the alloy framed pistols, especially on the SIGs along with the Mobil 1 on the internals.

When carrying a pistol, I prefer the Würth's Dry Lube Sprey, which stays on the surfaces it applied regardless of the wheather conditions for very long time.

Regards.

Ala Dan
March 6, 2008, 08:11 AM
Eezox~! :D

Mad Magyar
March 6, 2008, 08:29 AM
Eezox~!

Dan, just purchased some recently. The smell of this product had me gasping for air...What the hell is in this stuff? It must contain a powerful solvent of some sort...
Anyway, I'm willing to try anything ONCE. Like Mom's used to say when administering medicine, "It tastes bad, so you know it's working".:)
I also use Wilson's Ultimate Lube grease on the frame rails

In cold weather, this stuff hardened up on my pistols and I needed a "putty knife" to scrap it off...I tossed my tube away....:mad:

kcw12
March 6, 2008, 09:28 AM
I use lucas gun oil. That stuff sticks to metal like there no tomarrow. Then again its made by lucas, probably motor oil in little bottles, speaking of that i need to get some of it.

Hokkmike
March 6, 2008, 09:45 AM
hoppes #9
rem oil
breakfree clp

bikerdoc and me think alike!

LUPUS
March 6, 2008, 10:52 AM
In cold weather, this stuff hardened up on my pistols and I needed a "putty knife" to scrap it off...I tossed my tube away..

You are right Magyar, I have the same experience with you, because of that I do not use any kind of grease in my carry guns. They are the stuff for prolonged range use for me.

Regards.

Halo
March 6, 2008, 11:39 AM
I don't really understand the argument that says there's something all that special about "gun oil". Most of the run of the mill low cost "gun oil" is just a basic light machine oil. As others have noted, those of us who use Mobil 1 don't do so because of cost but because it's one of the most advanced lubricants readily available to the consumer. That the per unit cost is much lower is just icing on the cake. I've been extremely satisfied with its performance in my guns. I find it especially good for guns you don't shoot often because it has a very low rate of evaporation. In the past I've lubed up pistols with cheap gun oil before putting them away, and found the slide rail cuts dry as a bone the next time I took them out. YMMV of course, but for me high quality synthetic motor oil works perfectly and doesn't cost $10-15 for a little bottle like some of the high end "gun oils" do.

texagun
March 6, 2008, 12:38 PM
Weapon Shield
Breakfree CLP
EEZOX

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

DevilDog0402
March 6, 2008, 12:50 PM
Another vote for CLP

Walkalong
March 6, 2008, 01:15 PM
In cold weather, this stuff hardened up on my pistols and I needed a "putty knife" to scrap it off...I tossed my tube away.. I have some sitting on a shelf, where it will still be when I die, unless I give it away, which is more likely.

I like Slip 2000 oil, MPro-7, Gun Butter, and Slide Glide myself. They all work very well.

They are not cheap like ATF, which works well for lots of things, but it still lasts a long, long, time and is small potatos compared to other shooting expenses.

I clean and oil/lube seperately. No miracle step savers for me.

LUPUS
March 6, 2008, 01:38 PM
As others have noted, those of us who use Mobil 1 don't do so because of cost but because it's one of the most advanced lubricants readily available to the consumer. That the per unit cost is much lower is just icing on the cake.

+1. Regards.

Grizzly Adams
March 6, 2008, 01:50 PM
When I was shooting bullseye competition, most all of the competitors used Marvel Mystery Oil.

We would put a drop on the top round of every other magazine for our 45s and a drop on each rail.

Funderb
March 6, 2008, 01:54 PM
synthetic motor oil is really the way to go, cheaper and shines better.

texagun
March 6, 2008, 02:29 PM
Eezox~!
The smell of this product had me gasping for air...What the hell is in this stuff? It must contain a powerful solvent of some sort...

I love the smell of it. I put a drop behind each ear.......drives the girls crazy!

Mad Magyar
March 6, 2008, 02:42 PM
Eezox~!
The smell of this product had me gasping for air...What the hell is in this stuff? It must contain a powerful solvent of some sort...

I put a drop behind each ear.......drives the girls crazy!
:D:D They must have a bad cold.....Seriously, the smell is about to make me chuck the thing in the waste basket.....

Jackal
March 6, 2008, 02:48 PM
Mobil 1? Seriously, why?:banghead: I think it would be just plain foolish to use an auto oil when we have so many great gun lubes on the market.

Gun Slinger
March 6, 2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Jackal:
Mobil 1? Seriously, why? I think it would be just plain foolish to use an auto oil when we have so many great gun lubes on the market.

Didn't read the whole thread, did you?

Guess what many of the "great gun lubes" have in their formulation.

Check out post #18 on the first page of this thread.

ImARugerFan
March 6, 2008, 03:04 PM
What about for rust prevention? I put a light coat of remoil on everything. The spray bottle is convenient.

Gun Slinger
March 6, 2008, 03:06 PM
ImARugerFan,

What about for rust prevention?

That's what the AO additives in M1's additive package are for.

ImARugerFan
March 6, 2008, 03:30 PM
That's what the AO additives in M1's additive package are for.

Yeah, I could see how motor oil would be good for this, I guess I was wondering about the people who said they only use grease on their guns. Must live in pretty dry climates or something.

Funderb
March 6, 2008, 03:44 PM
Really, oil is oil.
If you are afraid the motor oil is going to evaporate,
which it doesn't. uhhhh.
Cmon guys, motor oil cannot evaporate. it only oozes and collects in other places.
But if you are worried about it use a heavier oil.

"High performance gun-specific oil" is b.s. At it's heart, oil is still a low tension slimy substance that reduces friction.
Using synthetics just protects anything that standard oil might damage.

Gun Slinger
March 6, 2008, 03:55 PM
Funderb,

Love the 'sig' line.

"Give a surplus rifle a motor oil bath,
and it will purr like a walrus".

waterhouse
March 6, 2008, 03:58 PM
I use Mobil 1 20w50. I voted 15w50 on the poll.

ImARugerFan
March 6, 2008, 04:15 PM
I'm also curious, of all the oils why do so many of you insist on Mobil 1? I go with the store brand for a lot less $$$.

waterhouse
March 6, 2008, 04:25 PM
I'm also curious, of all the oils why do so many of you insist on Mobil 1?

Check out post 18 of this thread. It might cost a little more per quart, but it has better properties than the cheap [car] stuff, and is still way cheaper than gun oils.

Halo
March 6, 2008, 05:01 PM
I'm also curious, of all the oils why do so many of you insist on Mobil 1? I go with the store brand for a lot less $$$.

The best synthetic (and some would say the only truly "synthetic") oils are the Group IV PAO (polyalphaolefin) oils. These are truly lab-made molecules. Group III oils can also be marketed as synthetic, though they do technically begin life as a natural oil. As you might expect, squabbling over technicalities is just as common on the car forums as the gun forums. :)

But in short, Mobil 1 is (or at least used to be) a Group IV oil. I've heard that some Mobil 1 nowadays is a Group III, at least partially. Still very high quality and far superior to ordinary motor oil either way. As far as using it on your guns, there's really no reason you couldn't get the same benefits from other brands as long as they're also high grade synthetics. I'm currently using Amsoil, which is arguably superior to even Mobil 1.

redneckrepairs
March 6, 2008, 05:13 PM
well i will go against the grain , on my ccw guns i use breakfree clp. on my ar fal ect.. i use the hydrolic oil i buy for tractors . It neither gets stiff in cold , nor breaks down under heat . As an aside we get it in 55 gallon drums so what i use on weapons is less than spillage . I could say the same on motor oil ( a 15x40 ) but it does not work as well for me on guns .

Gun Slinger
March 6, 2008, 05:34 PM
Halo,

The synthetic Mobil 1 motorcycle oils remain purely Group IV (PAO's) at this time however, the remainder of their automotive oils have changed formulation to Group III fairly recently as confirmed by their corporate office just three weeks ago. They indicated during that communication that the motorcycle oils (20W50 VTWIN and 10W40 MX4T) will remain Group IV for the foreseeable future since they require the properties of a Group IV due to the operating environmment that these oils are subjected to and the fact that there is such a high demand for the Group IV formulation. My suspicion after digging around and asking some of those within the industry leads me to believe that Amsoil obtains their PAO basestock supply from Exxon-Mobil. Unsure of what they could be doing to it in terms of processing that would make it "superior" to M1.

Funderb
March 6, 2008, 05:50 PM
Redneck,

in that amount you may as well walk out to storage and dip the firearm into the barrel. People pay hundreds of dollars to do that to AR's with sand in them.

Halo
March 6, 2008, 06:04 PM
My suspicion after digging around and asking some of those within the industry leads me to believe that Amsoil obtains their PAO basestock supply from Exxon-Mobil. Unsure of what they could be doing to it in terms of processing that would make it "superior" to M1.

I'm referring mainly to Amsoil vs. the "new" Mobil 1, in which case Amsoil posts better results from various ASTM tests, and remains a strictly PAO oil. It would probably take a PhD in chemistry to fully appreciate any distinction between the two oils, but for my money it's Amsoil going into my SAAB.

Gun Slinger
March 6, 2008, 06:11 PM
Got it.

Thanks.

Jackal
March 6, 2008, 06:31 PM
I'm currently using Amsoil, which is arguably superior to even Mobil 1.

Amsoil is expensive, but it is the best oil for motorcycle use on the planet. I use it in all wet-clutch applications. For guns though, I'll stick with Break-Free for lube.

tomh1426
March 6, 2008, 06:57 PM
I use CLP or Weapons Shield on everything but slide rails, they get a little Tetra grease.
If I put a drop of CLP on the rails their dry within days.
I clean my guns every time I shoot them so they never really get that dirty aneyway.

AtticusThraxx
March 6, 2008, 08:14 PM
Singer Sewing Machine Oil....unless it's real cold, tends to freeze.

Marshall
March 6, 2008, 08:20 PM
I've run Rem Oil in my trucks for 7 years now and they're still going strong. :p

Gun Slinger
March 6, 2008, 08:33 PM
Marshall,

Oh, gawd. That's funny.

BTW, you owe me a new keyboard. Sprayed coffee all over it reading your last post. ;)

Ala Dan
March 6, 2008, 09:39 PM
Eezox~! :uhoh:

Don't know what it consist of; but I think the smell is Sexy~! ;) :D

dirtdog
March 6, 2008, 09:41 PM
Auto oil gums up and stinks

Gun oil doesn't
Gun oil only here

tomh1426
March 6, 2008, 10:39 PM
Lucas oil makes oil for cars and guns, is it the same crap in a diff bottle or what.
Remember the displays they had with the gears in the oil with the little crank.
I always thought of that when people talk about using motor oil for gun lube.
I still like a little grease on the slide rails

Gun Slinger
March 6, 2008, 10:51 PM
Originaly posted by dirtdog:

Gun oil doesn't
Gun oil only here

Um..........

............yeah. :scrutiny:

19-3Ben
March 6, 2008, 11:27 PM
I'm referring mainly to Amsoil vs. the "new" Mobil 1, in which case Amsoil posts better results from various ASTM tests, and remains a strictly PAO oil. It would probably take a PhD in chemistry to fully appreciate any distinction between the two oils, but for my money it's Amsoil going into my SAAB.

My Volvo runs on Amsoil 10w-30 and amsoil oil filters. Fantastic stuff.
I'm waiting for my 3 bottles of milsurp CLP to run out and then I'm switching to Amsoil or Mobil 1. In light of the new info, i'd probaby rather go for the M1 for motorcycles.

Ken Rainey
March 6, 2008, 11:43 PM
I have used motor oil as a gun lube for years; mostly 10w30, went to 20w50, then got on the synthetic band wagon and used Amsoil 10w30...then added some STP to that and sometimes I just used a thin coat of STP on the rails in hot weather.....about a year ago I switched to a mix of ATF and STP....and just a few days ago, I added some Marvel Mystery Oil to that and it seems to be even a little slicker!?? Easy to make as thin or thick as needed. Any and all of the above has worked well and without fail....but don't listen to me, I still use WD-40 to clean my guns and keep them rust free ! :eek: :neener: ;)

P95loser
March 7, 2008, 12:03 AM
Don't use hoppe's #9 alone to lubricate and oil your gun. It will tarnish the brass casings of your bullet which will in turn transfer to your gun. It also doesn't provide any long term lubricant protection. Use motor oil if you want, or use the stuff that is made for guns.

eldon519
March 7, 2008, 12:51 AM
I just use the cheap Super Tech lithium-moly grease they sell at Walmart. I've never tried it in cold weather though. It's fairly thick, but that's not much of a problem in Houston.

Funderb
March 7, 2008, 12:56 AM

Gun oil doesn't
Gun oil only here

Good lord, my man, how much oil do you leave on the things?

Thernlund
March 7, 2008, 01:00 AM
CLP (MPro7, Breakfree, Gunzilla) to clean, white lithium grease to lube moving parts. Grease stays in place better.

-T.

chupacabrah
March 7, 2008, 08:58 AM
GS, no offense to you, and i know this is no auto forum, but just a few months ago i was reading an extensive study of chemical breakdown of m1 vs others. m1 was group III. amsoil is grp4. royal purple is group4. and, the cheapest fully synthetic of high quality on the market today is so-called "german castrol" m,ade in europe and only in 0 weight. this was like 6 months ago things may have changed again. (and naturally m1 is still of high quality)

sorry for poor typing.... feeding the baby now

on and OT i use hoppes 9, may look into using some motor oil in future

Funderb
March 7, 2008, 09:47 AM
I just tried some white lithium on a boltie too.
It's a little sticky for my liking.

Gun Slinger
March 7, 2008, 01:53 PM
chupacabrah,

Originally posted by chupacabrah:
GS, no offense to you, and i know this is no auto forum, but just a few months ago i was reading an extensive study of chemical breakdown of m1 vs others. m1 was group III....

Yeah, I know......

That is why I stated rather clearly in post #51 at the top of this page:

The synthetic Mobil 1 motorcycle oils remain purely Group IV (PAO's) at this time however, the remainder of their automotive oils have changed formulation to Group III fairly recently as confirmed by their corporate office just three weeks ago. They indicated during that communication that the motorcycle oils (20W50 VTWIN and 10W40 MX4T) will remain Group IV for the foreseeable future since they require the properties of a Group IV.....

Just call them at their "800" number, they are rather forthright when asked about this matter. Nice folks.

tomh1426
March 7, 2008, 02:25 PM
So for the average guy that shoots 100-200 rounds then goes home and cleans and lubes his gun is the group IV gunna have a noticable difference over the group III or any other good oil for that matter?

chupacabrah
March 7, 2008, 02:36 PM
GS, i missed that post, I had just read the earlier one. ;)

Gun Slinger
March 7, 2008, 04:47 PM
So for the average guy that shoots 100-200 rounds then goes home and cleans and lubes his gun is the group IV gunna have a noticable difference over the group III or any other good oil for that matter?

Tom,

I seriously doubt that it would. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you use Mobil 1 on your auto pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!