My H&R Model 949 w/pics

PDA

ArchAngelCD
March 6, 2008, 12:59 AM
I finally got a good deal on a handgun. I was in a local shop and saw this really nice Single Action .22 revolver and took a good look at it. It is a H&R Model 949 and it's in great condition. The shop wanted $99 for it but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money. Later that night I was in the book store with my wife and took a look at the 2007 Gun Buyers Guide and that revolver was listed for $175-$200. Well, that was enough for me and I went back the next day and bought it.

Some nice things I found out about this revolver. When you pull the hammer back you get 4 clicks like the original Colt SAA. Another thing I found out was, it was also a Double Action trigger, not just Single Action. It's also has a 9 round cylinder which is nice too....

Here are a few pictures of my first real deal. The second deal I got was buying the holster from a junk box at a gun show last weekend for only $2. When I looked it up on their site it was priced at $78.50 new. It is used but only slightly and HEY, it was only $2!! :D

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/HR949-2.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/HR949-1.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/HR949-3.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "My H&R Model 949 w/pics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
March 6, 2008, 01:14 AM
Congrats!

You done good on neat old gun and holster!
I remember that gun, and them old guns will fool one as to how accurate they are.
Fun factor and a perfect gun for a new person to shoot being introduced to shooting.

Just some regular standard pressure 40 gr LRN and good to go.

*neat*

bannockburn
March 6, 2008, 06:07 AM
That is a great deal; congrats on a really decent find. Will be waiting for a full range report.

ArchAngelCD
March 6, 2008, 01:38 PM
As soon as the weather breaks here in PA that will be the first revolver I shoot. I'll make a report for sure...

ArmedBear
March 6, 2008, 01:44 PM
I've got that gun with a longer barrel and dual 6-shot cylinders (LR and WMR). Accuracy is astoundingly good, as is the SA trigger.

A favorite. You got a GREAT deal. I wish they still made the things.

(Actually they do, but only as a blank-firing gun.)

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/dogRevolvers/nef.aspx

Walkalong
March 6, 2008, 02:41 PM
Very nice! Congrats

theNoid
March 6, 2008, 03:13 PM
GREAT set-up, and even GREATER deal...CONGRATS!!!

Noidster

deputy tom
March 6, 2008, 05:46 PM
Son of a .... where was I when you stole that pistol and holster?? That is what I've been dreaming of.Congrats on your excellent buying prowess.tom.:D

slow944
March 6, 2008, 05:55 PM
I have a model 939 double action 9 shot 22lr. It is one of my favorite guns for the range. Comes with adjustale rear sight. Very accurate.

ArchAngelCD
March 6, 2008, 06:00 PM
OK, I couldn't stand not shooting it so I went out even though the weather was terrible. WOW, what a nice revolver. Not only is it accurate single action but the double action trigger is short, crisp and smooth. From 15 yards out I put 43 out of 45 rounds into a 4" diameter circle. I had 2 fliers but they stayed on the paper.... :p

I'm very happy with this purchase... Tons of fun to shoot!! :)

Gator
March 6, 2008, 07:12 PM
Good job! I like those old H&R and IJ revolvers, they shoot good and are very affordable.

dagger dog
March 8, 2008, 06:33 PM
they are such odd looking ducks but they quack with the best of them! i had a similar gun in the 600 series had a .22 mag cylinder with it. nice old gun great shooters.

Dave Markowitz
March 8, 2008, 07:49 PM
Nice find. I wouldn't mind running across such a deal.

Funny thing is, as soon as I saw your picture, I thought to myself, "Steve would approve." And then I scrolled down and saw that he had the 2nd post in the thread.

Mohunch
June 23, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have a friend that thinks he should get rid of his guns so that he doesn't become a target of government. When I was visiting him last week he sold me his H&R Model 949 that looks just like the pictures.

He didn't have a holster but he did have a nice pistol case for it and he sold me the gun and case for $50.

ArchAngelCD
June 24, 2009, 02:32 AM
Mohunch,
Welcome to the forum...

How did you even find this thread to bring it back from the abyss? It's something like 15 months old.. LOL

@ $50 you got a great deal on your revolver, well done...

KevininPa
June 24, 2009, 06:33 PM
"Just some regular standard pressure 40 gr LRN and good to go"

I have a H&R Sportsman that didn't shoot that well until I went to standard velocity lead. Kinda figured that since the revolver was made prior to higher velocities (mid 50's), the stuff I was using wasn't suited. Now it's a tack driver.

thunder173
June 24, 2009, 06:44 PM
I have had a 929 snubbie 9 shot in .22LR with a 2 inch barrel,... for over 35 years, and it's like a cheap Timex watch,..it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin! Have no idea how manythousands of rounds I have popped thru the thing. It's been dunked in a few lakes and a couple of streams,...and actually got ran over by a truck once. To bad H&R/NEF/Marlin or whoever owns the company now doesn't still make them. Not pretty guns,...not fine finished, and their trigger pulls aren't that great,.....but all in all,...a great little gun that was sold at a fair price. Mine has filled many a stew pot on some great hunts with gentleman who are long since passed. It'll never get sold.

stolivar
June 24, 2009, 09:16 PM
Belonged to an old lady that never has shot it. still had the original box and papers. She died and her nephew had it.

Traded it in on something else. I bought it for $120 out the door. (mine has pearl grips on it though)

steve

woad_yurt
June 25, 2009, 08:05 AM
Good snag! Are you familiar with the 676? Looks and works about the same as the 949, has a six round cylinder but is convertible to .22 WMR. I love H&Rs.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee150/woad_yurt/HR67601-1.jpg

Mohunch
June 25, 2009, 01:10 PM
ArchAngel,

I was doing a Google search for the H&R 949 and this thread was one of the links that showed up.

Thanks for the welcome!

ArmedBear
June 25, 2009, 01:48 PM
Or the 649, also .22LR/.22WMR, 6-shot:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3466/3236895430_4811a645e7.jpg

ArchAngelCD
June 25, 2009, 04:06 PM
As you see there are a lot of fans of H&R rimfire revolvers here. Have you shot it yet Mohunch? A range report is a must now that this thread is back. Let us know how your revolver shoots, then I'll tell you why I sold mine.

ArmedBear
June 25, 2009, 04:58 PM
My 649 has worked great. I was plinking with it at about 95 yards and shooting a gong target got boring. 6 gongs, reload, 6 gongs.

Was yours unreliable? Inaccurate?

Mine was my Dad's. He just handed it to me one day, since he hadn't used it for anything in years. I was there when he bought it new, a long time ago, so I know it's never been abused, or even used much.

Mohunch
June 26, 2009, 06:45 PM
Yes, I shot it before I bought it.

My friend lives on 40 acres in the middle of Oklahoma so all we had to do was step out the door onto his porch and I fired 6 rounds. I should have taken a couple aluminum cans and set up to give me something to shoot at but I didn't. I just fired at one of his wooden fence posts but couldn't tell if I was hitting it. With my last shot I aimed at the gravel drive and did see dust rise from the area where I was aiming.

It fired great and I look forward to doing some actual target shooting in the near future. I'll post the results then.

jamesjo
June 26, 2009, 09:23 PM
let me add a pic of my 949.
Just another one of my 30 or so H&R's.
Great pieces, much under rated!
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/dscn17712.jpg

Ruodo
June 26, 2009, 09:37 PM
Just another one of my 30 or so H&R's.

You should make a new thread a post a giant picture of them all! :D

I'm a big fan of these guns, and would love to buy up that many.

jamesjo
June 26, 2009, 09:53 PM
Armed Bear,
if you like long distance plinking, check into one of these, Pretty darn front heavy for off hand, but from a rest, they are great!! Also the 686's had Fully adjustable sights, while the 649's were only windage adjustable.
H&R model 686 12" convertible
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/dscn16192.jpg
H&R model 686 10" convertible
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/dscn16202.jpg
Yeah, I've got a few H&R convertibles!
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/dscn16642.jpg
For quickdraw fun, H&R model 686 4.5"
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/DSCN16162.jpg

jamesjo
June 26, 2009, 10:03 PM
Ruodo,
OK, I might do that, I have them all in separate pics right now, would take awhile to post, I don't think my camera will take good enough pics to show them in a family portrait and do justice to them. I could start a thread with multiple posts, like 1 for 686's, 1 for 649's, one for lr cowboy style, 1 for sportsman pieces, one for, will you get the picture. Maybe tomorrow, with a fresh set of eyes. I love to show off my stuff to interested people!
Jim

blendingnoise
June 28, 2009, 03:35 AM
my H&R was under a hundred otd and is a blast to blow through the 9 round cylinder. Mine is very accurate up close and starts to open up a lot more than the k22 further out you get. That is mainly because the k22 trigger is so smooth while the HR tends to get very heavy at the end of the DA pull. They are very comfortable to hold and aim which surprised me since I thought it was just a cheaper revolver but it is the one I shoot the most honestly out of these two.
http://i39.tinypic.com/xdxa36.jpg

ijosef
June 29, 2009, 10:56 AM
Man, I gotta get one of those!

thebsk
May 17, 2010, 08:15 PM
I have the nickle plated version of the Model 949. It's the Model 950. I have a brand new one in the box that is unfired and I'm attempting to identify the year it was manufactured. Can anyone help me with this?

jamesjo
May 18, 2010, 02:39 PM
thebsk,
See your post in the other forum,
Or email me the two letter prefix of the serial #, and I will let you know thw year of manufacture.
jim

lorraine10@lmnetworks.net

Ed Harris
May 18, 2010, 02:47 PM
These H&Rs are good buys when found in sound mechnical condition.

Don't pass up one in .32 S&W Long either. You did OK.

jamesjo
May 18, 2010, 04:59 PM
A couple of my model 949's with a different twist

A pair of 1967 Nebraska Centennial Model 949's # 100, and # 118 of 300 pieces made.

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/dscn16362-1.jpg

Nar
February 1, 2011, 04:13 PM
I got one of these a while back. I didn't expect much of it but it has since become one of my favorite plinkers. There is just something about it that makes me keep picking it up.

ArchAngelCD
February 2, 2011, 12:36 AM
Wow, this thread just won't die. It's been brought back 3X already!! LOL

I sold that revolver last year!

dogngun
February 2, 2011, 08:49 AM
They just keep on working. I have an H&R top break hammerless .38 S&W from around 1915, and an Iver Johnson safety hammer also in .38 S&W from 1898...The IJ still has the box, at least most of it.

mark

jamesjo
February 2, 2011, 11:30 PM
Hey you can't keep a good revolver, or thread down!!
Jim

788Ham
February 2, 2011, 11:44 PM
I've got an H&R 999 Sportsman 6", my Pop left it to me, I don't think its had over 3 boxes of shells thru it. It really shoots good too, needing for the weather to start thawing, then I'll hit the club and really put it thru some shooting paces.

_CY_
February 20, 2011, 08:41 PM
just scored a H&R 949 in excellent condition, along with H&R 622 that looks unfired.

took em out the range today and they both shoot great!!!
949 is very accurate as expected in SA. but what's surprising is how accurate this pistol in double action.

no problems with std hi-velocity cheapo Federal .22lr bulk ammo.

ChemESGH
February 26, 2011, 10:49 AM
I received an H&R 949 from my Granddad several years back when he was consolidating many of his guns and items after my Grandmother (Grammy) passed away. I never really took time to look at it, see what it was, just knew it was a .22 revolver that I'd seen several times growing up when visiting my grandparents. When my Granddad passed away 2 years ago, it made it much more endearing to me as both a keepsake and the memories of seeing him with his guns as I was growing up.

Last night it crossed my mind that I still had never really looked at it to see the manufacturer, model etc. I had put it up and been pretty much hands off since he had passed. So I got it out, gave it a good cleaning and oiling and did a google search for H&R model 949. This thread was one of the first items it brought up.

I'm glad I found this thread, lots of good info and enthusiasts, always nice to learn about something that has meaning to you. I've attached a few pics of my 949.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/chemengineer/IMG_20110226_092919.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/chemengineer/IMG_20110226_092942.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/chemengineer/IMG_20110226_092955.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/chemengineer/IMG_20110226_093021.jpg

dispatch
February 26, 2011, 11:23 PM
I have several H&Rs, the 999 Sportsman being my favorite. These are all great pieces of work that will outlive anyone who ones one.

sixgunner455
February 26, 2011, 11:53 PM
My dad taught me how to shoot with a 949. Good times. Bought a Single Six the other week out of nostalgia for the old gun. Dad won't part with it until it's part of the inheritance, so one of my brothers or I will get it eventually. I'll just keep shooting the Ruger, I guess. :D

jconstan
March 26, 2011, 12:57 PM
Does anyone have information/instructions in how to field strip a 949?

Thanks,
Jim

jamesjo
March 26, 2011, 04:24 PM
Push the button on the left side of the frame, in front of the cylinder.
Pull the cylinder pin, remove the cylinder.
Unless there are problems, I wouldn't go any further than this.
H&R's are known to be a real PITA to work on!

jconstan
March 27, 2011, 01:38 AM
Interesting. My 949 has no button on the left side of the frame. The cylinder can be removed however by just pulling out the cylinder pin. The history of the gun is really unknown and that's why I would like to field strip it and give it a good cleaning and oiling. Can this gun be field stripped simply?

jamesjo
March 27, 2011, 11:17 AM
I don't know the years, but, yes, some did not have the button on the side of the frame.
They just had a ball detent located inside the frame.
Still don't believe there is a simple field strip.
At least any farther than removing the cylinder.

Trader Ray
April 14, 2011, 11:44 AM
I found this site looking for info on my 949, I would love to know the age of it. I read above that the letter prefix will let someone ID it. My 949 #'s start with (AN). I agree it is a very nice gun but mine is not as nice looking as the pics above. The Loading Gate is missing from it and I have had a time looking for it.

jamesjo
April 14, 2011, 05:32 PM
Ray,
AN = 1975 manufacture.
I bought a bag of parts a long time ago, I just wanted the cylinder. I think there was a loading gate in the bag. I will see if I can find it.

jconstan
April 15, 2011, 06:25 AM
Hey Jamesjo.
My 949 has a serial number beginning with AE. Could you tell me the year of manufacture? Thank you.

-Jim

Trader Ray
April 15, 2011, 06:25 PM
James, I shot you a PM on the loading gate, I would love to have one if you have it. Please let me know and thank you for the info on the year. This is one gun that just will remain with me as I just love the 4 clicks and the overall look of it.

jamesjo
April 16, 2011, 06:04 PM
jconstan,
AE prefix = 1968 manufacture.

jamesjo
April 16, 2011, 06:12 PM
Trader,
I do have a loading gate!
Mine is from a model 649, I believe it is the same gate, I will dig out my 949 and compare the two.
If they are the same gate, that means I have about 12 revolvers that use the same loading gate, maybe I shouldn't get rid of it!
I'll do some digging tonight, find the 949, and let you know.
Jim

leftymachinist
April 16, 2011, 09:13 PM
You lucky dog. I still have my first revolver that my dad gave, a H&R 929 w/ 6" bbl. My older brother and I would have pin matches using 2x4's wedge cut at the base 2"x2"x9"( approx. 20 deg.), range was 15yds. He used his Colt Diamondback 4" 6 shot .22RF, me with 3 more rds. Funny thing his got sticky extraction after 3 or 4 cylinders full. My 929 kept spitting 'em out box after box. A side note my pop grew up in Worcester Mass.

jamesjo
April 16, 2011, 11:36 PM
Trader Ray,
The 2 gates appear to be the same.
plus, I looked up both revolvers on the Numrich parts site.
while they both show sold out, they also both show the same part # so we should be good.
I am confident will fit your 949.
Click on my name, and send me an email.
Jim

Trader Ray
April 20, 2011, 11:59 PM
Jim, I called them myself and they said the part crosses with several others. I am getting excited about it. I made a temporary piece with a quarter and got to shot all nine rounds out of it. I am stoked! Man what a fun piece this gun is. I only wish mine looked as good as some of the other pics in this thread. It is quickly becoming the one I want to shoot first. I live in a very rural part of the country and have set up a small section for target shooting out back. I have the backstop against a dirt hill and I used 11ish inch logs for a tunnel and a good log backstop that is about 17 inches thick and about 20 inches around stood up before the dirt. Lots of fun! But the 949 will be the cheapest to shoot compared to my 45 or 9mm. I have ran on long enough..just excited about it.

tjeffords
February 4, 2012, 12:20 AM
This is my 949 I like the plum bluing on it. I would love to find another one of these gems plum or not I love it. My 14 and 11 year old love it to they know that gun inside and out both putting well over 1000 rounds threw it. And they are pretty good with it also. This is also my squirrel gun :)

WE0H
February 4, 2012, 12:24 AM
This is my 949 I like the plum bluing on it. I would love to find another one of these gems plum or not I love it. My 14 and 11 year old love it to they know that gun inside and out both putting well over 1000 rounds threw it. And they are pretty good with it also. This is also my squirrel gun :)

Very nice 949. Welcome to the forum :)

Mike

ArchAngelCD
February 4, 2012, 03:34 AM
You do realize I started this thread almost 4 years ago, right.

IMO you should have started a new thread with that great looking revolver you posted a picture of.

Welcome to the forum...

WE0H
February 4, 2012, 11:15 AM
You do realize I started this thread almost 4 years ago, right.

IMO you should have started a new thread with that great looking revolver you posted a picture of.

Welcome to the forum...

That proves you started an awesome thread that deserves to be kept alive ;)

Mike

tjeffords
February 4, 2012, 11:20 AM
I thought it was worth resurrecting it I love this gun

WE0H
February 4, 2012, 11:33 AM
I thought it was worth resurrecting it I love this gun

Absolutely. Having a single thread of a specific model is much easier to find in a search than a few hundred threads with everyone's pictures scattered about.

Mike ;)

skidder
February 4, 2012, 11:49 AM
Welcome to the forum!

My 14 and 11 year old love it to they know that gun inside and out both putting well over 1000 rounds threw it

My 14 and 11 year old boys love my H&R Sportsman. My 11 year old says it's his favorite and I better give it to him when he grows up. H&R guns are underrated for the price. Their fit and finish was amazing for being a low end gun when they were in production. I just wish the expensive guns today would take a little more pride in their finishing process.

tjeffords
February 4, 2012, 01:28 PM
yeah my girls love it I wish they would start producing them again

Dr.Rob
February 4, 2012, 07:16 PM
Those are really well made guns. Inexpensive yes, cheap no.

ArchAngelCD
February 4, 2012, 07:49 PM
Now you guys are making me wish I did sell the one I posted in the beginning of this thread. I did sell it off to buy a slightly used Ruger Single Six though so at least I had a good reason.

steveb4c
February 4, 2012, 08:17 PM
i have a 686 convertible 5 1/2". love it, will never part with it. has prefix AY maybe one of the later ones? my brother-in-law wants one now, but are getting harder to find i think

WE0H
February 4, 2012, 09:03 PM
I picked up a 922 a few months back but haven't shot it yet. Dang cool looking :) I really like the old western looking revolvers.

Mike

jamesjo
February 4, 2012, 11:46 PM
Snowed in today, so I dug out all my convertibles.
11 H&R's only 1 double, that is the pair of nickel model 650's.
All but 1 are 1980 manufacture.
All but 2 have original box.
Here's a pic for western style/ convertible fans.

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/convertibles3.jpg

WE0H
February 4, 2012, 11:48 PM
I'm jealous :p

Damn nice collection.

Mike

tjeffords
February 5, 2012, 12:26 AM
Me too!!!!

jamesjo
February 5, 2012, 02:20 AM
Been a long, slow process to get here, but it's coming. only need 3 more models to have them all.
Maybe tomorrow, I will get out the rest of the 1980 collection, and take a couple more pics.

skidder
February 5, 2012, 11:42 AM
Nice jamesjo! I bet that took awhile, not something you see here very often.

jamesjo
February 5, 2012, 12:27 PM
steveb4c,
AY prefix = 1982 manufacture

jamesjo
February 5, 2012, 12:31 PM
skidder,
Been collecting around 4 years or so.
Just very focused in what I buy as to year, condition, box etc.
I could have easily had them all nby now, but I am determined to wait for the "right" pieces.
I have bought a couple that were lesser quality, and then sold them when I found a nicer version. But, now, I just keep searching, and waiting for the good ones to show up.
The hunt is half the fun!!

jamesjo
February 5, 2012, 11:48 PM
Since I had everything out already, I decided to take some more group photos.

On top of all the convertibles, here is a pic of the rest of the "class" of 1980.

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/family2.jpg

The Sportsman family
1 1939 Ultra Sportsman
1 1940 Eureka Sportsman
2 1955 999 Sportsman
3 1980 999 Sportsman

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/family9.jpg

1967 Nebraska Centennial Model 949's
# 100 and 118 of 300, 1 mine, 1 my bro's

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/family4.jpg

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/family5.jpg

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/family6-1.jpg

These 3 are loners, don't really fit anywhere.
1950 model 922
1961 model 622
1984 Model 586 32 H&R magnum

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/family12.jpg

jamesjo
February 5, 2012, 11:59 PM
archangelcd,
This thread is just like a good H&R, it just keeps going, and going.
other than a couple shotguns, I'm all out of pics.
Join in everybody!!

hjordan420
February 9, 2012, 03:04 PM
i have one of the same in my possestion, i got it after my grandfather passed, not knowing it was in a box of things...i find it ha. well the other day i was itching to go plinking and i asked my uncle for it, so he goes and gets it and comes back with the 949 and ANOTHER .32 that no one even knew about, lol cant tell wat the .32 is though, old old old breakback, pretty cool, ill post sum pics of both

farmguy
March 1, 2012, 04:16 PM
HI! I'm new to the forum ,was looking for info on my H&R 949 .I noticed in most pic's the H&R inc, stamp is located on above the trigger were mine is located on the top of the barrel and says ' Worcester ' not ' Gloucester ' is this helpfull in dating the time it was made .The serial is AC 2810

jamesjo
March 1, 2012, 07:29 PM
farmguy,
"AC" prefix of serial # = 1966 manufacture of your Model 949.
Can you post some pics?
We love to see H&R's around here!
Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "My H&R Model 949 w/pics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!