How good is my knife?

PDA

retgarr
March 6, 2008, 02:27 AM
I recently bought a knife at a Sportsman's Warehouse for about $48 on clearance. My old gerber was just too cheap, and while it was cool when I got it at age 13 I have realized that it is a non performer. So I asked the guy behind the counter what he would recommend, he seemed knowledgeable and pointed out that were in the range of the $40 I stated as my budget. Well I pointed at one and he said it was a great knife, had the best kind of steel they stocked at the store. Anyways, I ran over my budget and came home with a knife that was claimed to have been listed at $90 but reduced to $48. Oh, I suppose I should tell you what it is. the box said it's a Kershaw Avanlanche and I remember the guy at the store saying something about 30V steel. Plainly I know nothing about knives and would really like to see how I did on this purchase.

If you enjoyed reading about "How good is my knife?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
markk
March 6, 2008, 03:19 AM
You did well...

Sharpdogs
March 6, 2008, 07:03 AM
Kershaw's are great knives. The model you picked up is a very good one.

Paladin5469
March 6, 2008, 07:41 AM
The avalanche is an absolutely fantastic knife. It is just about the right size for everyday carry and has a superb blade shape (no funny angles to sharpen at, good leverage at the handle) Their s30v steel is very good. Some manufactures had some chipping problems with this newer steel a few years ago but my avalanche has not given me any such problems. Most production knives will develop horizontal blade play after a few months but mine has been rock solid. I could not be happier with my avalanche. You certainly did get a good deal. The MSRP of that knife is around 140.00 and usually retails for around 90.00-100.00. I work at a sportsman's warehouse in the knife section and know when we usually do a big knife discount the discounted knives are usually only about 1.00 over cost. Some really good deals can be had if you know when to look. Long story short- Ya did good.

retgarr
March 6, 2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was reasonably sure it was a decent buy. Just making sure!

If you enjoyed reading about "How good is my knife?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!