Where does your brass land?

PDA

Steve H
March 6, 2008, 09:20 AM
I was at the gravel pit the other day with the new PT 1911 and the Kimber Ultra CDP. One thing I noticed about the PT1911 is that most of my ejected brass landed in a circle about 2 foot in diameter while the brass from the Kimber was spread over a half acre making it pretty hard to find. Is there any way to "tweek" the Kimber so that I can find the brass without hiring a search party?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where does your brass land?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hokkmike
March 6, 2008, 09:23 AM
If it is ejecting consistantly I wouldn't mess with it regardless of where the brass was landing, as long as it wasn't hitting you in the face.

Steve H
March 6, 2008, 09:27 AM
It's not constant as to where it throws it. Some lands in right field and some goes straight behing me.

crankshop1000
March 6, 2008, 09:36 AM
After it bounces off my forehead, it could go anywhere.Damm Colt Defender.

wally
March 6, 2008, 09:38 AM
My range favorites end up being the guns that throw the empties where I can find them easiest.

I've never had much luck "tweaking" the ejection other than an extra power recoil spring reducing the distance somewhat.

If its ejecting forward, I'd try tightening the extractor a bit. Good instructions are in the gunsmithing&repairs forum, unless its an external extractor Kimber, in which case, be happy it ejects :)

--wally.

cdrt
March 6, 2008, 09:41 AM
If one is not already installed, an extended ejector might help. My Bullseye guns usually eject the same, but it took some doing; tweaking loads, recoil springs, extractors, etc. to get them to do that. My Series 70 Govt Model acted a lot like your Kimber until I added the extended ejector and tweaked the extractor.

ZeSpectre
March 6, 2008, 09:43 AM
Out of my pistols...

Ruger Security Six ejects brass right into my range bag every time :neener:

CZ-52 ejects brass as supersonic speed, straight to the right, it usually lands somewhere in the same county. No joke, I've had this gun throw brass just shy of 40 FEET before!

SIG 229 9mm throws brass everydamnwhere (and no tweaking has made a bit of difference).

SIG 229 .40 throws brass in a nice 3ft circle behind my right shoulder.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've had no luck at all trying to control where most pistols chuck the empties :rolleyes:

Walkalong
March 6, 2008, 09:54 AM
This is an interesting article on ejectors (http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/ejection%20perfection.htm). Of course, you could end up needing a new one after fiddling with yours, but you can also end up with a pistil that dumps brass right where you want it. It is not just the ejector that needs to work right, but the extractor as well. They have to work together to dump brass where you want it time after time.

I have done it with success, but it was definetely a learning experience. Always be prepared to replace an ejector if you make it worse. Not that hard to do, but not a simple part replacement either. I had to do it on a gun where nothing I did helped until I replaced the ejector with an extended one and carefully worked the face and testing along the way. Being long it gives you room to work.

BillinNH
March 6, 2008, 12:48 PM
My favorite bras throwing story happened with my 1914 DWM Luger shooting 115 gr standard pressure ball 9mm. The case landed in my open left side shirt pocket. Do you know how hot a newly ejected case is?

Bill

Funderb
March 6, 2008, 12:51 PM
my cz52 ejects the brass about 30 feet to the side and eight behind.
but it is supposed to do that. It's how you take out the enemies to the right when beset.

jr_roosa
March 6, 2008, 01:00 PM
My 1911 sends them straight up into the ceiling, and then they bounce back and hit me in the head.

I should make a bucket hat to collect brass.

-J.

Gun Slinger
March 6, 2008, 01:01 PM
Usually on the ground. Depends on how much I've had to drink. :evil:

All kidding aside, I have never had any ejection/extraction problems in any of my guns. Guess I've been lucky in that regard.

Hokkmike
March 6, 2008, 01:01 PM
My favorite bras throwing story

I want to come to your parties!

Mac45
March 6, 2008, 01:02 PM
My 1911 scatters brass all over. Buddy has one that will almost land 'em in a 5 gal bucket. Both Colt's.

littlegator
March 6, 2008, 01:06 PM
My S&W M&P ejected them straight up and back when I first got it, hitting me squarely in the noggin on a few occassions. After a few hundred rounds, however, it now ejects them to the right a couple feet every time. I put a box to the right of me when I shoot and they all land inside of it. :)

Mac45
March 6, 2008, 01:08 PM
My 1911 scatters brass all over. Buddy has one that will almost land 'em in a 5 gal bucket. Both Colt's.

MachIVshooter
March 6, 2008, 01:16 PM
If it is ejecting consistantly I wouldn't mess with it regardless of where the brass was landing

Fired a Witness Compact 10mm lately?;) With full house loads, this little critter throws brass in about a 60 degree pattern, and they land between 30 and 50 feet away. No joke.

It's consistent, though; they never land close. Lol.

The Lone Haranguer
March 6, 2008, 01:20 PM
As long as the cases do eject with sufficient vigor, I don't care. But I won't tolerate a gun that throws them straight at my head.

A newly acquired, older S&W 6946 I picked up tosses them especially vigorously, but its recoil spring was compressed to about two thirds of its original length, too. I will have to see what it does with a new spring.

mpmarty
March 6, 2008, 01:27 PM
Ditto on the Taurus 1911 dropping empties in a two foot circle to the right, mine does it too. Gotta love it when you luck out!:)

CountGlockula
March 6, 2008, 01:47 PM
What about picking a brass catcher?

Spyvie
March 6, 2008, 02:16 PM
The case landed in my open left side shirt pocket. Do you know how hot a newly ejected case is?
My shooting glasses tend to fog up indoors unless I pull them a little away from my face, just a little bit further down my nose, maybe a ” or so. I figure this is still safe because the lenses are directly between my eyeballs and the breech of my gun.

I was at an indoor range the day before yesterday with my FNP-9, a fired case managed to bounce off the lane partition and land behind my glasses resting on the top of my cheekbone. I suddenly found myself semi panicked trying to get the burning shell off of my face with my left hand while holding a loaded and cocked pistol in my right hand.

No damage, just a learning experience. I need to find some better ventilated shooting glasses, and maybe stand a little further to the left...

Halo
March 6, 2008, 02:21 PM
CZ-52 ejects brass as supersonic speed, straight to the right, it usually lands somewhere in the same county. No joke, I've had this gun throw brass just shy of 40 FEET before!

I can definitely vouch for that. Where I usually go shooting, up at my parents' house, the backstop is literally the side of a mountain, and so is the area to the right of the firing line. If I want to collect any 7.62x25 brass it means a not-insignificant amount of climbing will be required that day.

PirateRadio
March 6, 2008, 02:33 PM
My 1911 shoots them over the lane divider at the range onto the person next to me. :)

MY 92FS throws them off the divider and into the pocket of my hoodie. I once went out for lunch after shooting, reached into my pocket for money and 4 spent 9mm shells dropped onto the counter as I pulled the money out. That was awkward...

ADKWOODSMAN
March 6, 2008, 02:51 PM
My Springfield .45 throws them about 1 foot behind and 3 feet to the right, perfect.

My Colt Enhanced .38 super is a launch pad. They are hard to find.

NWdude83
March 6, 2008, 04:14 PM
I have since sold it, but I could set a garbage can a few feet behind me to the right and my Armalite M-15A4 could eject all it's spent brass into it.

Furncliff
March 6, 2008, 05:33 PM
I can't say why I like my Star b ... but I do. Only one of it's quirks is pitching spent rounds everywhere, on top of my head in my shirt pocket and recently between my eyeglasses and my face, ouch, ouch ouch.

Funderb
March 6, 2008, 11:54 PM
I did always like shooting my father's sks.

When I was little, I remember, every spent case flew straight up into the air. And when
we shot at the outdoor range, they went PLINK
and bounced off the tin roof then onto my head, where I would shooting the .22
at the table to the right.
I swear he did it on purpose.

Mt Shooter
March 7, 2008, 12:04 AM
There are two schools, there are the ones that put them in a nice neat pile. and then the scatter them everywhere's ...My Kimber is a scatter them everywhere.

Thernlund
March 7, 2008, 12:10 AM
Depends on what gun, but farthest throwing one is my P220 Carry. I practically have to get in the truck and drive to where the brass lands.

-T.

Geno
March 7, 2008, 12:15 AM
My STS Series 70 Colt reissue always pops the cartridges over the top of the divider at the indoor range. My daughter shoots in the lane immediate to the right of me. She picks on the cases, taps me on the shoulder and chuckles...shootin' the Colt again, huh Dad?!

yhtomit
March 7, 2008, 12:18 AM
Cz-75? Small circle, perhaps a 15" in diameter, holds most ejectees.

Saiga? Oh, you mean it's supposed to land somewhere?

timothy

Dollar An Hour
March 7, 2008, 12:21 AM
My Browning Buck Mark throws brass forward and right.

My Steyr M9-A1 throws it rear and right, but weakly and sometimes landing on me.

All my other pistols eject brass with authority at about 4:00 :)

07Lway
March 7, 2008, 12:33 AM
Yeah I had a hard time collecting the brass the first time I fired my CZ52. I looked all around and couldn't find it, so I asked someone to see where it was going, and it was shooting about 10 feet to the right and a good 15 yards behind me. The all usually land within five feet of each other so as long as I am not moving my shooting position, I can usually recover about 90% of my casings (I could find them all but after five minutes I give up). I am afraid to take it to an indoor range with partitions because it would hit it pretty hard and I don't want to get any 2nd degree burn/bruises. Any good brass catchers out there?

Darthbauer
March 7, 2008, 01:13 AM
Depends on what gun, but farthest throwing one is my P220 Carry. I practically have to get in the truck and drive to where the brass lands.

Thats how it is with my 220 combat. Brass lands about 15 to 20 feet away from me.

retgarr
March 7, 2008, 01:20 AM
Ah, the CZ52 is my favorite gun in terms of brass ejection. Las time at the range we had an accuracy contest using the brass! Who cares where the rounds went.

And then there is my lovely K31, it ejects staight up and back 8 inches. I wear a hat and cover the back of my neck...

Rob G
March 7, 2008, 12:38 PM
Both my Kimber 1911s toss brass with enough velocity to get the attention of anybody in the lanes to my right. My wife's Beretta 9000 likes to keep the brass close to home. She's learned to not wear low cut shirts with that one or else she'll be picking hot brass out of her......um shirt. :D

tn-dave
March 7, 2008, 01:42 PM
The little Kel-Tecs like to bounce them off my head.

I was shooting my Ruger P-90 last summer at an outdoor range and a gentleman asked if I was saving the brass. When I told him no he put an 8x10 tarp out to my right and it caught almost every round. He went home with 200+ rounds of once fired 45 brass.

Farnorthdan
March 7, 2008, 01:44 PM
My favorite bras throwing story

I've heard the asbestos weave bras help with the hot brass in the pocket issue:what:

DZL HOG
March 7, 2008, 06:31 PM
Ive never really paid much attention to it. I shoot outside and dont plan on doing any reloading. I shoot left handed, XD9 and an old Colt 1911(very few times), they dont hit me, so Im happy with that.

And I usually only shoot 1 or 2 mags at the time, and most of the time I change distance after each mag.
Ill try to pay attention to it next time, just for kicks.

Matt

Carl N. Brown
March 7, 2008, 08:35 PM
When I fire my CZ52 with S&B 7.62x25 I shoot from the bench with a large cardboard box weighted beside the ejection port; otherwise, the brass end up 30 to 40 feet behind me at about 4:30 o'clock, bouncing off cars in the parking spaces behind the firing line (not a way to make or keep friends). The empties stay in the box and are easily retrieved to reload for my C96 Mauser.

doubleh
March 7, 2008, 09:02 PM
My PT1911 tosses it in about a 3' circle about 4' to my right and slightly behind me. My Gold Cup does the same thing only it starts about 4' from me and covers about a 6' circle.

XD-40 Shooter
March 7, 2008, 10:47 PM
My XD-40 throws the brass about 6 feet behind my right shoulder, in a nice pile, very easy to recover.:D My Taurus Mil-Pro 40 throws the brass about 10 feet straight out to the right, again they are all easy to recover.

DiN_BLiX
March 7, 2008, 11:06 PM
Taurus pt92 goes slightly behind and 3' to the right, CZ40 goes 5-6 straight right in a neat pile, mini-14 launches them into the next county.

tlmkr38
March 7, 2008, 11:42 PM
Fired a Witness Compact 10mm lately? With full house loads, this little critter throws brass in about a 60 degree pattern, and they land between 30 and 50 feet away. No joke.

It's consistent, though; they never land close. Lol.

Yep I have one of those too!!! I like to shoot it when people are out there just so they can see how far it throws brass!

birdshot8's
March 8, 2008, 04:17 AM
i always wondered why gangsters held their gat sideways until i began reloading.

TheReeves
March 8, 2008, 07:58 AM
After it bounces off my forehead, it could go anywhere.Damm Colt Defender.

Hahahaaaaa....

Many a time I have left the range with little red circles on my forehead.

JDGray
March 8, 2008, 01:44 PM
My old KT P11, had a loose ejector, no telling where that brass would land:D

Love my Glocks, always lands pretty close by at 4 OC, but the last case usually straight behind me.

jon_in_wv
March 8, 2008, 02:49 PM
If its my CZ52 it lands about 30 yards to my right at ab out 4 o'clock!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Where does your brass land?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!