Stoeger cougar or Taurus 92

PDA

wambli_7
March 6, 2008, 01:37 PM
Going to buy one tonight... what do you think is a better choice for a 9mm... the cougar or the 92... If I got the 92 it would be in SS.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stoeger cougar or Taurus 92" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Princi
March 6, 2008, 02:08 PM
I have the Cougar and I really like it. However, I did have a hard time finding one. I also have a couple of 92's and I like the Cougar better, and it was less money too.

I've seen a lot of 92's where the barrel will wiggle around at the muzzle even when locked up. The Cougar doesn't do that.

PointOneSeven
March 6, 2008, 06:00 PM
The rotating barrel on the cougar is pretty cool.

But overall, the 92 is a little classier if you ask me, and maybe even a better candidate for launching 9mm projectiles.

FieroCDSP
March 6, 2008, 07:45 PM
The Cougar. I know the Stoegar is made on the same machines as the Beretta Cougar, so it's the same gun, with a different finish. I'm not sure about the Taurus, are they made on Beretta machines, or are they just licensed on the design?

wheelgunslinger
March 6, 2008, 08:52 PM
Chinese ninja monks can come into your home and disassemble the 92 while you're trying to shoot them with it.
This has never happened with the Cougar.

Plus, the Cougar is just cooler. I like the rotating barrel, ergonomics, and the way it handles.

cherryriver
March 6, 2008, 09:43 PM
Well, then, given the problems with Chinese ninja monks, I guess I'd put aside my 92 for home defense. But that's okay, since I still got my ol' Colt .45 for that stuff.
I bought a 92 a few years ago really, really cheap, just looking for a beater autoloader, and found a sturdy, reliable, don't-worry-about-it kind of gun. I became a 92 convert. It's not super-accurate, but it goes bang every single time and doesn't care what sort of garbage is in the magazine.
That's a pretty strong recommendation, coming from me.
Bill

Flopsy
March 7, 2008, 01:55 PM
Wouldn't a sig or an XD be even easier for ninja monks to dismantle? Doesn't their pin just rotate down instead of having the button on the other side of the frame? Why are the monks always picking on the 92FS to screw with?

Of course, I know the criticism is bunk, but I'm just wondering why the bogus criticism is hung on the Beretta instead of some other pistol. I guess there might not be any logic to it.

cowssurf
March 7, 2008, 02:22 PM
I just recently bought a Stoeger Cougar. I can't beleive what a deal it is. It's the exact same gun as the Beretta Cougar, but half the price. A local gun shop actually still sells a couple of the Beretta's brand new for twice as much. The Stoeger is right next to it and nobody knows there is no difference between the two. They were even selling a used beat up Beretta Cougar for the exact same price as the Stoeger. I've used Beretta mags in the gun with zero problems. Recoil feels like nothing at all. It's an unbeleivable deal.

Black Knight
March 7, 2008, 06:02 PM
Stoeger is actually owned by Beretta. The Beretta family knows how to make money. They "sell" the Cougar design to a subsidiary in favor of their new Px4. They make money on all sides.

Factfind
March 7, 2008, 09:40 PM
All of my guns,rifles and pistols are made in the USA. Not a knock on foreign made guns, but rather a personal choice. I buy American when I have the choice.

SevenŠ
March 8, 2008, 08:12 AM
I have a PT99 and a Cougar .40.

I don't see how you could go wrong either way, but if you are ever considering using it for concealed carry I'd go with the Cougar.

CU74
March 10, 2008, 12:06 AM
I don't own either, but I vote for the Cougar because my wife's "social work" gun is a 9mm Beretta Cougar.

Quiet
March 10, 2008, 05:19 AM
Get the Stoeger Cougar it's a better gun than the Taurus PT-92.

Glockorama
March 10, 2008, 09:59 AM
I just recently bought a Stoeger Cougar. I can't beleive what a deal it is. It's the exact same gun as the Beretta Cougar, but half the price. A local gun shop actually still sells a couple of the Beretta's brand new for twice as much.

What he said.:)

jhco
March 11, 2008, 06:54 PM
taurus is made on the same machines as the old modle 92 from beretta that hade the saftey on the frame so its the same as the old 92

MPanova
March 12, 2008, 03:55 AM
If you plan on putting a lot of rounds through it and want to do so 40 years from now go with the PT92, it is built like a tank and will last forever through thousands and thousands of rounds, plus it looks better IMO

grizz5675
March 12, 2008, 11:37 AM
I have the pt99afs in 9mm and am buying the stoeger(on layaway) because the taurus is to big and clumsy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stoeger cougar or Taurus 92" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!