Has your autoloader jammed on you yet?

PDA

CountGlockula
March 6, 2008, 04:36 PM
A friend of mine were shooting at an indoor range with our autoloaders and began rapid fire training. And here's how it went:

Me:....ratatatatatataatatatatatatatatatatatatatat...reload...ratatatatatatatatatatatatat...

Him:...ratata....uh...jam.

He admitted that, if he were to be in a defensive situation, he wouldn't trust his gun.

So the question of the day is: Has your autoloader EVER jammed on you?

Jams: Stove pipes, double feed, failure to extract, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has your autoloader jammed on you yet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Top_Gunn
March 6, 2008, 04:44 PM
No, but it's a Glock!

Beelzebufo
March 6, 2008, 04:50 PM
Slew of ammo through a slew of guns, 1911s, Glocks, Maks mostly. Only two without a malf: Glock 30 and a Glock 17. The most reliable, otherwise: Glock 19, S&W 1911PD.

PirateRadio
March 6, 2008, 04:53 PM
My Beretta 92FS never has. However, my new 1911 has twice in 50 rounds.

Jackal
March 6, 2008, 04:54 PM
I have had every single autoloader I have ever owned jam on me, with one exception. I have had Para-Ordnance, Wildey, Ruger, Kahr, Kel-Tec, CZ, and Glock (yes, Glock) all have one malfunction or another. The only auto that I have owned that had zero malfuctions over the course of around 1200rds was, believe it or not, a Taurus PT111 (Now sold 'cause it didnt fit my hand). The amount of revolvers that have tweaked on me? Zero. For me, trying to find a reliable semi-auto is like trying to find Hillary's heart, it aint ever gonna happen.

SuperNaut
March 6, 2008, 04:59 PM
Define jam.

A jam, to me, is something far more serious than a FTF or FTE.

Pa.Bill
March 6, 2008, 05:01 PM
Glock 19 ------> No
Sig 1911 ------> No
Bersa .380-----> Yes, once with the very first mag.

lee n. field
March 6, 2008, 05:02 PM
Various guns have jammed for various reasons.

Ruger P90, feed problems fixed by stronger recoil spring.

Makarov, out of spec ammo (the ammo would hang up in the magazine).

.380 Mak, doesn't like Winchester Winclean.

CZ-100, jammed when it felt like it.

XD40, doesn't like some of my handloads, sometimes.

Pa.Bill
March 6, 2008, 05:04 PM
~Disregard~

Chipperman
March 6, 2008, 05:09 PM
To me a jam includes any malfunction: FTE, FTF, or stovepipe.

Following those parameters, I don't own a single autoloader with more than 1000 rounds through it that has NEVER had ANY sort of malfunction.

SuperNaut
March 6, 2008, 05:15 PM
To me a jam includes any malfunction: FTE, FTF, or stovepipe.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that a "jam" is when the mechanicals of the firearm malfunction and the gun itself is "jammed".

Flopsy
March 6, 2008, 05:16 PM
Yes. You might want to sit down for this....okay, my Glock 27 jammed on me when I used to own it. True, the cause was lightened mag spring tension due to the addition of a Pearce grip extender. But still, it happened. I know it's unbelievable, but try to accept it. :neener:

My 84F starts to FTF after about 100 rounds of cheap practice ammo due to grunge buildup. I have plenty of confidence in it as a carry piece because I only carry high quality JHPs, with which it has always functioned 100%, and also if I fire 100 round through it in a defensive situation, I'm under some highly unusual circumstances.

My M9 has never had any malfunction of any kind, except it once failed to lock back on the last round on an aftermarket hi-cap mag.

Jackal
March 6, 2008, 05:34 PM
Guys, lets not squibble over the definition of the word "jam". We all know what the original poster meant.

CountGlockula
March 6, 2008, 05:35 PM
Define jam: pretty much a malfunction while firing your autoloader.

I just want to get a census of how many have experienced it.

Also, add how you fixed it!

Steve C
March 6, 2008, 05:36 PM
If your auto hasn't jammed then you're just not shooting it enough. Most jams are ammo related and in my experience even the best factory ammo has a rare bad round. Then of course the more you shoot the more the parts wear and the more likely you are to get a failure.

SuperNaut
March 6, 2008, 05:42 PM
Guys, lets not squibble over the definition of the word "jam". We all know what the original poster meant.

Actually I didn't, that is why I asked. Not quibbling, not being a dick, genuinely wanted to know.

littlegator
March 6, 2008, 05:44 PM
I've only put about 1200 rounds through my S&W M&P 9mm, but no jams thus far. (knock on wood)

SeanMTX
March 6, 2008, 05:49 PM
Taurus PT92 - Yes...but only with bad ammo. (2-3 times over the course of 2000+rds)
Taurus PT145 - No.
Beretta 85F - Yes...but only when new.
HK USPc - Nope.

DJGrant
March 6, 2008, 06:01 PM
Has your autoloader jammed on you yet?

Colt 1911 - yup:rolleyes:
GLOCK20C - yup:uhoh:
GLOCK17- yup:uhoh:
KelTec P32 - eeeyup:o
Smith M&P9 - 2000 rounds - not yet - but I'm waitin' for it:what:

/dj

slow944
March 6, 2008, 06:08 PM
I've had 4 FTF on my latest CCW a Kimber Pro Carry Ten II, and I believe they were caused by a defective mag. I have a S&W 669 that has never had a jam. Also my K-T P3AT has never jammed.

phoglund
March 6, 2008, 06:15 PM
Some have jammed, some have not. Some jammed early on but no longer do. Some have jammed for other (new) shooters but not ever for me. I voted yes.

The Lone Haranguer
March 6, 2008, 06:17 PM
Over the years I've had autoloaders run the gamut from never having a stoppage in the whole time I have (or had) them to a stoppage with almost every shot, and everything in between.

The "nevers" were the SIG P228 and P239 and four Smith & Wessons (5904, M&P9C, 3913LS and 6946, although I have not had the latter two very long). The "almost every times" were a Taurus PT945, Para-Ordnance P12-45 and my first SIG GSR. "In betweens" have been my Glock 19 and CZ PCR, but only a tiny handful which were really ammo-related.

fletcher
March 6, 2008, 06:18 PM
My Makarov has never jammed (somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rounds I think).

My 1911 had one bad night, but has never had another malfunction. It was very strange - FTF/FTE almost every shot for the first 2 stages at an IDPA match. A good portion of the participants also had major malfunction issues that night; don't know what the problem was. Maybe a bad cleaning job I did right before. However, it was 100% before then, and has been 100% after.

Kel-Tec P32 got a bad batch of ammunition in the first box I purchased (light strikes), but it hasn't had any issues after I tossed that box and bought new ammo.

I'd trust any of my autos, and have been very fortunate with them for the most part.

USMCDK
March 6, 2008, 06:20 PM
For me, trying to find a reliable semi-auto is like trying to find Hillary's heart, it aint ever gonna happen.

I can't stop laughing it hurts. LOL

I voted yes but only in the aspect that my wife's Walther p22 is the one that has jammed do to touchiness of ammo, however, my HK USP .45 has never.

This is a great thread thank you

SCBradley
March 6, 2008, 06:22 PM
CZ-75b: +/-1500 rds
Glock 17: +/-2000 rds
S&W Sigma 9ve: +/-1000 rds
FEG PA-63: +/-250 rds
BERSA .380: +/-500 rds

Never a failure with any of them.

The FEG had some temporary problems when I lost the slide stop spring but it wasn't the gun's fault. I fired about 50 rounds without the spring and the slide would accidentally lock back roughly 1 round every other mag.

SsevenN
March 6, 2008, 06:26 PM
yup yup:
USP 40 - 1 FTE with junk rounds out of 2,000
CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm - One jam about every 200 rounds doesn't seem to matter what ammo........
FN Five-seveN - NO JAMS 500 rounds fired...
Steyr M9-A1 - 1,250 rounds, no jams......500 extras rounds later.... 15 FTE's:mad:

Ed Ames
March 6, 2008, 06:34 PM
Of course.

Then again... I've had revolvers jam on me too. Machines fail... fact of reality that is. Deal.

rcmodel
March 6, 2008, 06:37 PM
S&W 39 = Never in 40 years that I can remember.

1911's = Of course.
But I have been shooting and gunsmithing them for close to 45 years. I get to see the ones that don't work more often then the ones that do.

I was working on a friends new Glock 17 today that wouldn't make it through a 10-round mag without jamming two or three times.
With that said, as much as I hate them, I would trust a full or mid-size Glock right out of the box.
I would trust a S&W or SIG to work right out of the box also.

But NO brand of auto is immune.
Especially the way they make a lot of them nowadays!

rcmodel

CWL
March 6, 2008, 06:55 PM
If you have a gun that has never experienced a mechanical malfunction, it just means you haven't shot it enough yet.

(I see plenty of posters bragging about 1000-2000 rd counts, you are still undergoing the break-in period! ;) )

DawgFvr
March 6, 2008, 07:01 PM
What CWL said!

All...all...allllllll automatic pistols will have a malfunction at some given point in time...usually happens at the worst case scenario.

Having said that, I never had a revolver malfunction. Once...I had a bad primer in a round that did not fire...but that was an ammo problem.

mpmarty
March 6, 2008, 07:05 PM
Most if not all semi autos can "jam" with poor ammo and or maintenance. It happens that my Taurus PT145 da/sa hasn't yet but it's only got a few thousand rounds through it. Of much more concern is the drill to bring the weapon back into service, tap, rack, bang etc. Nearly every malfunction of a semi auto can be cleared by immediate action and brought back on line in seconds. Try that sometime with a revolver where the primer sets back and jams the cylinder against the breech or a bullet pulls and sticks the cylinder, or heaven forbid you drop it during a reload and bend the crane; in each of these cases you now have a club where you once had a firearm.

Floppy_D
March 6, 2008, 07:09 PM
My P229 has jammed several times, most jams being ammo related, while working up loads. If I limp-wrist it, I can get it to jam nearly every time. The REAL trick is understanding that any autoloader can and will eventually jam, and that the best medicine is drills that correct the failure. Put a snapcap in your 10 rd mags and get used to clearing the FTF, and when you have a real one, your speed is hardly offset.

CountGlockula
March 6, 2008, 07:28 PM
You're right, 1-2K rounds isn't enough.

I've shot 5K+ out of my Glock 35 and has yet to jam. We'll see after 10K!

dstark
March 6, 2008, 07:48 PM
I've only had my springfield jam on me with one certain type of low grade ammo, after 1,000 round mistake never had any other jams.

19-3Ben
March 6, 2008, 08:14 PM
Sig P232 jams if you don't clean it every 250 rounds. It jams for my dad frequently but I think he limp-wrists it. His 92f compact NEVER jams for him.
The Sig doesn't jam for me so long as I clean it, but the reliability issues were enough to have me start CCWing my Ruger Sp101. I'm now going to get an M&P9c to also CCW. I just don't trust the Sig.

shadowalker
March 6, 2008, 08:37 PM
Some have, my wife's XD 9mm SC jammed for her but she was shooting cheap ammo and limp wristing, both conditions cured now.

In ~4000 rounds my Sig P229 has not jammed, no other failures even with a pretty bad recoil spring.

In 1000 rounds my XD 45 ACP has had a failure to fire but no jams.

Nightfox_308
March 6, 2008, 08:44 PM
yes alott!!!!!!!!! but its a 22lr model 60 marlin it has jams that the bullet gets stuck ejecting (minor) and jams where the bullet wont load into the chamber (major) you have to take it apart (with a live round in it:what:)

FireArmFan
March 6, 2008, 08:52 PM
Not yet. but my P2000 only has about 1500 rounds through it. I'm sure it will happen one day.

floydster
March 6, 2008, 08:54 PM
3800 rounds thru my Hi Point, not a hicup, 3759 in the bullseye at 25 yards, ya man.

JaxNovice
March 6, 2008, 09:13 PM
I have three guns I have owned that never jammed. For some bizarre reason I sold them.

Taurus 24/7 Pro 5k rounds and never jammed

FNP9 3500 Rounds with no issues

XD9 4" 5k Flawless rounds

My Taurus PT145 would jam even when I was not firing it. I would hear it in the safe jamming. It jammed when I looked at it. It jammed when it was raining or sunny. It jammed up until I smashed it into pieces. Then it worked fine.

FALZOO-XD
March 6, 2008, 09:30 PM
Never had one with my XD45 or my S&W3913

RobertFBurnett
March 6, 2008, 09:58 PM
Still breaking in new SIG 226: 400 rounds of Remington UMC 124 grain. 0 failures, with the exception of 2 failures to lock back on last shot in 50+- mag changes.

jon_in_wv
March 6, 2008, 10:04 PM
P32 Keltec- 300+ rounds= 0 jams
M&P 9mm- 1500 + rounds= 0 jams
Makarov- 1000 + rounds = 0 jams
I trust these guns completely. I'm sure they will fail at some point but they have proven themselves so far!

mokin
March 6, 2008, 10:11 PM
I've had my HK, Browning, and Glock all "jam" on me but they were all ammo related. I've also had all my revolvers "jam" on me as well for the same reason.

sdj
March 6, 2008, 10:22 PM
S&W1911 -> Yes (RIP...)
S&W1911Sc -> Yes, but not often :o
Glock 32 -> Not yet :cool:

Guess which one I carry? ;)

Cannonball888
March 6, 2008, 10:23 PM
S&W M&P 40---no
Kimber UltraCarry---no
SA LW Champion Operator---no
FIE Titan II---no
Kel-Tec P3AT---yes

eldon519
March 6, 2008, 10:30 PM
I've had several autoloaders jam on me including but not limited to two 1911s, two or three Glocks, and of course my .22 Buckmark. Strangely I tend to take excellent care of my weapons and practice a pretty firm and controlled grip. The only two autoloaders I have put very many rounds through that have not jammed have been my mom's CZ75 and my Beretta 92, both in 9mm. It pains me though because I love the feel of the 1911 and the .45 round, but I am slowly becoming convinced that 9mm may be an inherently more reliable round. I guess it could make sense if you think about it though, .45 ACP usually uses more powder and burns at a lower pressure for a less complete burn which amounts to more gunk building up in the action per round. At least with FMJ, the 9mm usually is a pit more pointy than the rounded .45 ball rounds.

Anyway, based on the above mentioned, my next gun will be a 4" GP100. My 6" GP100 has been flawless, but it is a little big. I did have a new revolver fail on me once. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but the innards actually broke and it had to go back to the factory. The mechanism got locked up.

Walkalong
March 6, 2008, 10:51 PM
I voted yes, but I have several that have never jammed in 1000's of rounds as well.

XD-40 Shooter
March 6, 2008, 11:45 PM
I can honestly say that neither my Taurus Mil-Pro 40 or my XD-40 have jammed. I've got close to 2000 rounds out of both of them and no malfunctions.:D I have no qualms about trusting my life to either of them. I have had a couple of FTF's, failure to fire, using my handloads, probably due to hard primers, or a contaminated primer. These problems are likely my fault. I don't expect my XD-40 to ever jam, it eats everything.:D

lechiffre
March 6, 2008, 11:59 PM
i had a browning bdm that jammed 3 times on the first magazine. then worked fine
i have an interarms ppk that would fail to feed when it was new. after a couple of hundred rounds no more problems.
i have a beretta 21a that stovepipes of fails to feed after about 100 rounds without cleaning(do .22s count ?)
i have a p38 that failed to feed once.

all others no problems

jungleroy
March 7, 2008, 12:02 AM
Yes some of mine have jammed, but that is usually just in testing new rounds, to find the perfect sweet target load for any of my newly acquired pistols.
99% of the time it is because I have not seated the bullet far enough into the case, so that it will reliably feed and not hang up.

Other than that, my general carry pieces are well maintained tools that I can depend on with factory fresh Speer Gold dot ammo.

10-Ring
March 7, 2008, 12:28 AM
I have a few semi autos...some have, most have not

foreveryoung001
March 7, 2008, 12:46 AM
the only one that has ever jammed on me was my 1911. Jammed twice in the first 50 rounds when it was new, but has not had a problem since with about 650 through it.

beretta 92 and sig p232: never had a problem

I've owned others, but have never kept any around for very long, and probably didn't put enough rounds through any of them to figure out reliability.

hankdatank1362
March 7, 2008, 12:47 AM
I've had a firestorm 1911 that would feed empty cases, yet fell apart in my hands.

I had a daewoo DH40 that had serious extractor issues and would double feed twice (at least) per mag.

My Taurus 24/7 PRO has well over 6000 rounds, not so much as a hiccup.

My newest, a SIG P226R, has almost 1000 rounds with no problems, but then again, it's a SIG.

Sixtigers
March 7, 2008, 12:53 AM
Most of my pistols are used, with the exception of my first Glock 17, bought in '88 (for $300!).

1911A1 (Colt) Series 70-Yes
1911A1 (Colt) Series 80-Yes
1911A1 (Colt) Issue -Yes
S&W 645 -Yes
Ruger Mk.II (5" Bbl) -No
Ruger Mk.II (10.5" Bbl) -No
Ruger Mk.II Govt. -Yes (suspect bad ammo)
Ruger Mk.II "slabside" -Yes
Colt .380 Govt. -No (less than 500 rounds)
Beretta M9 -No
Taurus PT-92 -No
Glock 17 -No (and over 30K rounds)

All factory rounds--I don't reload. Mostly WWB. I was surprised about the Taurus...I'm not sure if I like it just a little better than the beretta, to be honest. It's been reliable as hell for me.

Favorite guns? The 1911A1s. Bar none. Feel best in hand. Willing to put up with the occasional FTFs/FTEs. A "jam" every 200 rnds or so, I'm willing to deal with. Much better than the crap I used in the Navy.

Worst gun ever owned: Tec9. Every other round was a FTFeed or FTE. Didn't matter what magazine I used (had 4 30-rnders). Took it to a gunsmith, and as soon as he saw the weapon, he started laughing...

Hey, I was young, and just started learning about weapons!

Eightball
March 7, 2008, 01:24 AM
Until I figured out what my .22LR Mosquito liked to eat, yeah. After I discovered this, no.

toopercentmlk
March 7, 2008, 01:37 AM
I had one single FTF with my Glock 21 with the first 10 rounds ever being put through it, thats it. Never ever again after something like 2000 rounds, it doesn't worry me, it's my least favorite shooting gun but I'd rest my life on it.

1911 guy
March 7, 2008, 05:26 AM
Thirty nine people so far say no. Rather than say they are being *ahem* "untruthfull", I'll say they don't shoot enough.

With a good pistol, it will be a very long time between failures, my carry gun last choked two years ago. That's a few cases of ammo. But the fact is that it can and will happen if you shoot often enough.

sparkyguy
March 7, 2008, 05:52 AM
Anything that has ever jammed on me is now long gone, with one exception. My Ruger Mk1 did a few times, but discovered the problem was a mag that was splitting at the top. Just replaced it and it is fine now. My Glock 17=never. 1911=never.

Zach S
March 7, 2008, 07:12 AM
My Kimber polymer used to slide-lock with rounds still in the mag. I replaced the slide lock and havent had any problems in thousands of rounds.

My Para Companion had extractor issues when new. I replaced ti with a Wilson BP extractor and havent had any problems out of it since.

So yes, two of mine have jammed on me, however the problem has been fixed and I can trust those pistols with my life.

I own three more 1911s that have always been trouble free (Kimber Sries Is), and owned two that have been traded that were also trouble free (a Colt 1991A1 and a SA MilSpec).

Seems like my G19 jammed on me once, but I cant remember it was mine or someone else's.

GRIZ22
March 7, 2008, 09:23 AM
Being that we are considering all kinds of malfunctions there are only two types of autoloaders out there. Those that have jammed and those that are going to jam.

HUNT2HUNT
March 7, 2008, 09:57 AM
glock-never
Beretta- once and I sold it.

HUNT2HUNT
March 7, 2008, 10:59 AM
I will add this. The ammo has a lot to do with it. Some hollow points are more likely to not feed correctly than other ammo.

JDGray
March 7, 2008, 11:57 AM
Glock 19 & 23- Never
CZs- Never
XD9- Never
KelTec P11 & P32- Never
Ruger 345- A bunch W/Rainiers but not W/fmj
SA 1911- When new, but not after 200rds
Sig 239- never
Ruger 22/45- Bunches (weak ammo) New extractor helped
:) Shoot safe!

MICHAEL T
March 7, 2008, 12:42 PM
Had a Para that was a 1 shot wonder. But Rev are known to have troubles also.
If made by man it will jam of break sooner or later. Even the Great Glocks have troubles Nothing is perfect.

tbreed725
March 7, 2008, 12:42 PM
the ones i have currantly no if it malfunctions in any way tho its gone if its a gun i use for ccw strangly enough ive had more guns thru trading in the last 10 years than most will ever see and only a handful of them malfunctioned .

romma
March 7, 2008, 02:30 PM
My Walther had to go back twice with two unrelated problems.

The second time, I drew it at the range after carrying it around for a few weeks or so and "Click"! Nothing...

Thank The heavens that I didn't need it!

Ed Ames
March 7, 2008, 02:41 PM
This may seem like a strange perspective, but... I'd be more thankful that it went "click".

Why? Because that should've reminded you that guns are mechanical devices which can and will fail. You should be ready to go into "clearing" mode the instant you detect a failure.

Well... you should and you shouldn't... clearing a hangfire at the range too quickly can cause you some hurt... but you should know how to clear them quickly and it may even be worth accepting the risk so that your muscle-memory response is to clear and continue.

dirtdog
March 7, 2008, 03:01 PM
I have never had a "broken" in pistol jam when fired for the first 100 rounds.

After the gun gunks up I still have had few if any FTF/FTE

Of course this does not include my Glock which has never jammed no matter what .

Newton
March 7, 2008, 03:19 PM
H&K USP - Never
Makarov - Never
Browning HP - Never
Kel-Tec P32 - Usually (1 in 50)
Kel-Tec P-3AT - Always (1 in 6)
Ruger Mk.II - Always (1 in 10)
SigPro 9mm - Never
PX4 9mm - Never
XD45 - Never
Beretta Neos - Very rarely (1 in 300)

Silvanus
March 7, 2008, 03:23 PM
Neither my Glock 17, nor the FN HP have jammed so far.

RIDE
March 7, 2008, 03:29 PM
Sig 229 -----> No Jams in 1,600 rounds
Glock 23 ----> No Jams in about 500 rounds
Glock 27 ----> 1 stove pipe in about 1,500 rounds (cheap range ammo)
Highpoint piece of garbage 9mm... 1 Jam... PER MAGAZINE!!

tacmedicp94
March 7, 2008, 04:05 PM
Ruger P94-5,000rnds never
Ruger Mark 1- well over 10,000rnds. never
Ruger LCP- Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'll let ya know
Springer 1911 loaded- One jam in 1,500rnds. 1st round in the mag trying
to slingshot the slide closed

m38shooter
March 7, 2008, 05:16 PM
Ruger P95 has yet to jam/ftf/fte in 800 rounds. The number of rounds should be higher, but work and custody of my 2 year old kind of limit my trigger time.

Gonna have a lot more through it after a couple weeks when I get my CCW permit. It's pretty much gonna be a responsibility... Wouldn't want to have problem number one happen when my child's life is in danger.

LKB3rd
March 7, 2008, 05:21 PM
XD45 close to 2500 rounds through it. No malfunctions of any kind. I've even done a sort of test by not cleaning it for 3-500 rounds(2 or 3 range trips) and it still works without a hitch.

littlelefty
March 7, 2008, 05:33 PM
Springfield 1911A1 Full size Loaded. Yes, multiple FTF,FTE, and FTRB. Returned to Springfield; they "fixed" it. Still has FTRB issues on last round of mag. Replaced mag springs with Wolff 11# and am awaiting time for next range trip.
Bought gun new in January 2006. Approx. 1000 round thru it to date.
Combination of :fire::cuss::what:and :barf:, but I really like the 1911 fit, heft, feel, and all around neatness of it. But I sure am tempted to go trade it for a compact XD 45.

littlelefty
March 7, 2008, 05:36 PM
And to top it off, my $179 used Kel Tec P11 has eaten every 9mm that Ive fed it. How 'bout them apples?:banghead:

buenhec
March 7, 2008, 09:33 PM
Sig 229 and STI Spartan have never malfunctioned. Thousands of rounds on each, reloads and all.

Hardtarget
March 7, 2008, 10:22 PM
I put no on the poll...however, there is a qualifier. I was given two boxes of ammo and told not to trust them for function. They would not run in my S&W. I only used them for mal-drills. They were great for that.

There has never been a problem with any other ammo.

Mark.

Geno
March 7, 2008, 10:35 PM
Those that have proven unreliable are no longer part of the family. I actually carry all but perhaps 2 of my pistols for CCW. To that end, I have Zero Tolerance for defective or finicky pistols. One or two failures in 1,000 rounds I can tolerate because it can be ammo-related. But, when a Kimber Ultra-Eclipse fails literally 90% of the time (literally documented it shot-by-shot), well, that pistol needs to be "off'd".

mekender
March 7, 2008, 11:29 PM
Ruger SR9, 1 month, 7 days old... 400rds no failures... that said, ill give you an update at the end of the year when i hit 10k

rxraptor02
March 7, 2008, 11:38 PM
I have had a few jam.

My first gun was a Beretta PX4 storm in 9mm....it has never jammed in any way. This will never be sold.

My second gun was a CZ rami 2075 in 9mm. That thing jammed all the time. It would nose dive on the feed ramp. That was sold and a revolver replaced it.

My third auto loader was a XD9sc. That never jammed in the time that I had it. This is now gone. and was replaced by a redhawk in 44mag.

My 4th auto was a XD45c and it has not jammed.

stevereno1
March 8, 2008, 12:19 AM
The only failures that I have had is with my Kimber Classic Custom. No slow-downs with the Glocks at all! Glock Rocks!

rough rider
March 8, 2008, 06:39 AM
never had on my G17.

Mad Magyar
March 8, 2008, 07:42 AM
Yes, many have...After I narrow it down and suspect the inherent properties of the gun itself: it's sold in the aisles of the next gun show.
Surprisingly, some of the lowest cost pistols have been totally reliable: Daewoo in 9 & 40, Star Super, Mauser HSc, & Colt Officer's...:)

Smith357
March 8, 2008, 08:07 AM
Every semi automatic firearm I have ever owned has had a failure of some sort either from ammo, magazine, or mechanical issue. I have also had bolt action, pump, and lever action rifles and revolvers fail to fire for whatever reason. No firearm is immune from failure.

plexreticle
March 8, 2008, 08:26 AM
The only one I own that has never had a failure to fire or a jam is my VP70z

Ala Dan
March 8, 2008, 08:38 AM
Glock uh~? I would have thought it was a Hi-Point~! :rolleyes: :uhoh: :D

NorthCounty
March 11, 2008, 07:17 PM
XD .45 w/about 500 rounds = Yes
HK USP40 w/about 3500 rounds = No

yhtomit
March 11, 2008, 08:42 PM
I don't think the Cz has jammed yet (once, maybe?), but the Ruger P345 has a few times, the XD-45 had trouble on one bitterly cold day and became very reluctant to cycle.

However, neither gun at the time had more than 100 rounds (or at least no more than 200) through it, so it's still in the range of "break-in period" I think :)

Don't recall the Ruger 22/45 ever jamming, either.

timothy

searcher451
March 11, 2008, 10:05 PM
I own and shoot a number of Walthers: P1, P5, P88C, P99, P99C, PPK/S. I've put hundreds of rounds through each one and have never experiences so much as a single hiccup with any of them. The German-made Walthers flat-out work, time after time, every time.

wanderinwalker
March 12, 2008, 12:02 AM
Of autos I've owned, I can't think of a single on that never, NEVER failed in some way, shape or form.

Believe it or not, I have a Glock 17, and she will choke from time to time. I have a 500-rd case of UMC ammo that liked to leave cases in halfway-extracted. Got good at cleared those. Switched back to WWB, and next come reloads once I get the gear sorted out. This is the same pistol that I once got tired of seeing if it would get dirty enough to fail. It has also been back to Glock after a broken frame-rail, so it has seen some use.

And I've also had my S&W revolver fail, so I expect problems. Don't count on anything to be trouble free.

(Again, I may be able to find the lemons every where, as my 2-year old Toyota just had it's ECU replaced. And then there was the Suzuki motorcycle that suffered a blown shock and a failed dashboard, 1 year apart. And then... :cuss: )

Six O'clock Tactical
March 12, 2008, 12:12 AM
Lets just put it this way... Ive had autoloader malfunctions in video games.

That said, im sticking to revolvers. Not that I dont like autos, but I tend to burn too much ammo with a semi and havent really gotten over the possibility, if EVER so insignificant, that it might not work when its my family at risk.

possum
March 12, 2008, 03:27 AM
so far the only handgun that i have had that had one single malfunction was my ruger p345.

none for the 2 xd's. or the kahr or the glock 19, the ruger p95, or the sa mc operator.

DWARREN123
March 12, 2008, 10:29 AM
GLOCK's 23 and 27. The 23 has had no problems in about 1,800 rounds, the 27 had one failure to go fully into battery at about number 200, bad round, none sinve and am at 1,200 rounds.
I do not love GLOCK's but they seem to work pretty good.
Butt ugly utility guns!:evil:

Tin Gizel
March 12, 2008, 10:43 AM
I voted yes, because it was a self induced malfunction to train on clearing malfunctions.

BAT1
March 12, 2008, 02:00 PM
SA SS champ not one hiccup.

arflattop
March 12, 2008, 02:48 PM
No malfunctions with my Colt Series 70 .45 auto. Don't have a lot of rounds through it, either -- about 1,000. I've used heavier and lighter recoil springs to coincide with my reloads, so I've given it every excuse to screw up.

jocko
March 12, 2008, 03:20 PM
PM9 9800 flawless rounds, right out of the box. I will report when it hic-cups, IF I LIVE LONG ENOUGJH. Never shot a better handgun..

jocko
March 12, 2008, 03:28 PM
I realize we all like to "brag" on the amount of rounds we can get through our uncleaned semi, but IMO a dirty gun is asking for issues. and it ain't the gun or ammo fault. Now I don't mean every 50 or 100 rounds either but any auto used for range use should have a few drops of oil on the barrel and hood and rails before every range session. Just makes sense.

For carry, I keep my PM9 clean and lubed (not dripping though). also makes sense, why carry a dirty gun for protection. the more you clean your handgun, the better you get to know it. No doubt some can go further than others but to me tha tis not a reflection on either gun--one way or the other.

Glocks seem to go forever, good for glocks, My kahr PM9 I have never went further than 1000 rounds- why--just because I had nothing to prove beyhond that, One cold cut back way less than 1000 rounds even and be able to say, I trust it, It is reliable.I agree with one poster, a jam is to me anything that did not go bang....

SsevenN
March 25, 2008, 12:19 PM
Steyr M9-A1 - 1,250 rounds, no jams......500 extras rounds later.... 15 FTE's

Those 500 Rounds were re-manufactured, since then another 500 Failure FREE!
Love that Handgun...

Fish828
March 25, 2008, 12:26 PM
with my bersa thunder .380, never a single jam, stovepipe, ftf, or fte.

CountGlockula
March 25, 2008, 12:27 PM
Back from the dead!

Hunter0924
March 25, 2008, 12:32 PM
I have to think if you shoot long enough anything can fail.

jlbraun
March 25, 2008, 12:40 PM
CZ P-01. No jams, no cleaning, 2700 rounds - including 50 rounds of intentional limpwristing.

Cosmoline
March 25, 2008, 12:45 PM
The only semi I've owned that I don't remember at least stovepiping from time to time was a Sig P225. The G23 didn't do it very often and after a spruce up at the local armory it almost never did it. Others would have a problem every few mags.

jocko
March 25, 2008, 03:13 PM
9800 flawless rounds, not one jam, nothing, nadda, zero. My k9 has 3000 rounds, same thing. Must be clean living..

RNB65
March 25, 2008, 03:21 PM
Glock 17 and SA-XD9 have never jammed.

CZ SP01 jammed a few times when new. I switched to a lighter recoil spring and its never jammed since. The scuttlebutt is that the factory spring on the SP01 is weighted for NATO 9mm (+P) and problems with standard 9mm rounds are not uncommon.

SA 1911 jammed a few times when it was brand new during the first couple hundred rounds. Has never jammed since. Runs like a Swiss watch now.

Kahr P9 was a jam-o-matic when it was new. Works fine now after a trip back to Kahr for repair.

I used to own a Sig 228 and it never jammed once in 10 years of range shooting.
-

Splurch
March 25, 2008, 06:15 PM
my sig p226 9mm has not had any problems in over 1,000 rounds.

azhunter12
March 25, 2008, 06:32 PM
My CZ52 has a couple FTEs. I think my CZ82 is failure free.

PhillyGlocker
March 25, 2008, 07:57 PM
I am not convinced Glocks jam. I think people come to the forums and lie. My oldest Glock is 5 years old, and so far no jams. I have yet to see a Glock jam at the range either. I love being at the range with guys with their expensive 1911's and Sigs having to clear jams while I'm constantly firing down range. Nothing better.

ZombiesAhead
March 26, 2008, 12:19 AM
Yes, but it was my fault for not holding it tight enough.

Darthbauer
March 26, 2008, 12:35 AM
96f/s Vertec - Yes. It was droped once and would not feed the next round anytime it was shot.

XD9 - No

226R - No

USP.45 - No

220R Combat - No

So when in doubt, dont drop your gun. It might break. If ever sliding out of a jeep wearing a drop leg make sure that the thumb break is engaged.

Confederate
March 26, 2008, 12:39 AM
My Beretta 92FS never has. However, my new 1911 has twice in 50 rounds.
This isn't unusual. The Beretta design is far newer. That's why it's always miffed me that 1911s seem to be much more expensive than guns that are much more reliable. I mean, you buy the 1911, shoot it, take it in and have someone work on it, then go out and shoot it again.

I know a guy with a S&W 59 that would just not shoot without jamming. It looked like a great gun, but it would frequently jam. Later, hearing that the guns now worked, I got me a 559 (a blued version of the 659), and it amazed me by going from one mag to another, then another, all without a hiccup. To this day, I don't know what Smith did. Both guns look an awful lot alike, yet one works and the other doesn't.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/AAAGunMag_2.jpg

brhall327
March 26, 2008, 12:50 AM
few rounds through them yet, but my bersa 95 series had FTE'd on me once (in the first or 2nd mag) as i think i was kinda limp wristing it, with cheap ammo at that. no problems so far with the cz-82. my SKS... not a handgun and definately a whole nother story up until today with 0 failures on about 100 rounds when it used to FTE EVERY single casing.

Snipe315
March 26, 2008, 01:19 AM
SA TRP Operator: Jammed the 1st time I shot her due to no lube. :banghead:
Since then... 17,000 rounds without a jam.

USP Fullsize .45ACP: Not one jam in over 5,000 rounds. :evil:

USP Compact .45ACP: Not one jam in just under 5,000 rounds. :evil: :neener: :evil:

woad_yurt
March 26, 2008, 08:36 AM
My Makarovs never jam, not a single time. No matter how I use them or what ammo I use.

I have a CZ 52 with the Harrington HD firing pin kit that has only jammed 3 times in countless thousands of rounds, but that was due to slightly oversized surplus ammo case necks that got stuck in the chamber. Since then, no jams in over 2,0000 rounds. It's never once jammed with new ammo.

PS: I can predict the future sometimes. 10 years from now, my truthful answer for your question will be, "No, my Makarov hasn't jammed." And for my next trick....

katastrof0
March 26, 2008, 05:45 PM
Cz75b 9mm.
Probably 10000+ Various ammo, military/commercial/Handloads. Never a jam!

Or... It had two FTE`s on one mag when a novice fired it. I suspect limpwristing. Either way it doesnt count when im not behind the trigger:evil:

Seriously though, i limpwristed the hell out of that gun afterwards to try to make it jam but no.. To this day i still dont know how he managed it.

BB John

jocko
March 26, 2008, 05:48 PM
gee, I didn't read any "no jams" about kel-tec's did I just miss something or what??

jocko
March 26, 2008, 05:49 PM
great post. I just love it when someone can post such great results with a 1911. I had a para carry 9, that was truly a great shooter to. Never had near the rounds that you did but it went bang every time. Nice post

MS .45
March 26, 2008, 06:19 PM
The only one of my autos to jam is my Springfield G.I 1911. But it only happened a couple of time in the first thousand rounds and never since. My Glock 17 and 26, CZ P-01 and Beretta PX4 have not jammed. Oh yeah, I have had a couple of hang-ups with my Kel-Tec P3AT.

jcd15
March 26, 2008, 07:01 PM
I have 4 auto loaders
My 22a by smith and wesson has jammed a couple of time .
my 32 guardian a couple of stove pipes with target ammo
never once with the gold dot which I carry in it.
My new glock 36 stove piped 2 times last week but I fired 250 rounds the week before and didn't clean the gun I am hoping it was because gun had 400 plus rounds through it with out cleaning.
My sig sauer 228 has never ever jammed on my once in 12 years with thousands and thousands of round through it from wolf to corbon to blazers to gold dots you name it.If the gun was alittle lighter and smaller it would be my primary carry gun .

big44
March 26, 2008, 07:45 PM
The first auto loader I had bad jamming problems with was a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Compact. Every third round of every magazine jammed. Since I got it for my wife to have a home I traded it in on a Glock 19.

DoubleTapDrew
March 26, 2008, 07:54 PM
Yes, most of them have at some point or another. However it's usually due to ammo (forgetting to size a batch of reloads or going too long on OAL), I'm new to reloading. I don't carry reloads and it doesn't happen often so it's not a problem. Now if it jammed practicing with my defensive ammo I'd worry and not trust it. One side benefit, it gives you practice on unexpected failure drills. Training to tap, rack, bang instead of standing there going "what thuh?" :scrutiny:

CountGlockula
March 26, 2008, 08:02 PM
If you want to jam your gun, get an aftermarket .40S&W to 9mm conversion barrel.

I've picked one up for fun...and I'm not laughing.

Phydeaux642
March 26, 2008, 08:08 PM
Yep. Kel-tec P32 has had one failure to feed but I blame that on a cheap mag. My Kel-tec P11 so far has a very consistent failure to feed problem. At this point I would have to run a lot more ammo through it and see if it continued before I would use it for anything other than a range gun, and that bums me out since it is no fun to shoot in the first place. It is fairly accurate, though.

Phydeaux, bad dog....no biscuit!"

GLOOB
March 26, 2008, 08:14 PM
Nope. Never had a failure. I owned a Colt Commander, and I now own a GLOCK 21SF and a FEG. Aside from some light strikes with the FEG after messing with the hammer spring, I've had zero malfunctions with all of these pistols, as well as no failures with any of my rentals.

wnycollector
March 26, 2008, 08:31 PM
I own 3 autos. Two SIG's (P220 and P226) and a russian mak. Both SIG's are 100% reliable (~2500 rounds in the P220 and ~1000 in the P226) never a ftf or fte.

The Mak is 100% with fmj ammo(2000 rounds). I have had a few (less than 10) with silver bear JHP. I was ALL my fault...I didnt clean my mags after a range session an the next time I took the mak out got the jams. I cleaned the mags and polished the feed ramp and it was back to 100% for the rest of the case!

Nikon777
March 26, 2008, 08:47 PM
Sigpro 2022 9mm ....no jams
M&P full size 9mm ....no jams

UnTainted
March 26, 2008, 10:13 PM
SIG P232 - 1200 rounds - zero problems.
SIG P228 - 9000 rounds - zero problems.
Browning Hi-Power - 4000 rounds - 1 problem, during an endurance test after 400 rounds of not cleaning ended up with a fail to feed, so i just pushed the slide forward and it continued without problems to 600 rounds. It has not ever had any problems while properly cleaned and lubed.

good thread

sammy
March 26, 2008, 11:19 PM
My Kimber had a few FTF but a feed ramp polish took care of it.
The Ruger MKII jams after 450 or so rounds of that filthy .22 ammo.
Sig 220 hates American Ammo FTF's.
Glock 34 has had several FTE durring matches so diagnosis has been tough.
Beretta 21 and Jennings are not even considered autoloaders.
Wilson CQB will not eject casings if lube is too thick. Works 100% with a light coating of light lube.
Sig X-5 9mm had 2 FTF when new.
The only autoloader that has truly been 100% (2000-2500 rounds) is my H&K P2000. It will fail eventually. :cool:

wingman
March 26, 2008, 11:28 PM
3 following guns I've owned never jammed all the rest have.

Kahr MK9
CZ75B
Makarov

doc2rn
March 26, 2008, 11:33 PM
I have a Ruger Standard and a MKII that have never jammed. My Colt 1911 has never jammed. My Glock got a hold of some bad ammo and experienced a squib once, (does that count?).

lloydkristmas
March 27, 2008, 02:50 AM
HK USP .45 has never jammed, but I've only fired appx. 2,000 rounds through her. So far, I must say I'm very impressed.

NG VI
March 27, 2008, 09:15 AM
Well I answered incorrectly. Mine have jammed, all minorly.
Except my S&W 9VE. Yes, the dreaded Sigma is my most reliable gun. It has never, ever malfunctioned, and it never m,alfunctioned when it was previously owned by my friend.

My Glock 27 also had a minor malf, probably because of the +2 basepad, just slingshotted it ever so slightly and the round was properly aligned. good to go.

My USP I believe has had the same type of thing, very rarely, maybe twice since I bought it three years ago. always just a round angling itself upwards either too abruptly or not abruptly enough.

My CZ-97B is very reliable, I can't remember if it's ever malfunctioned.

cbailey
March 27, 2008, 10:00 AM
My Glock 19 has been reliability-wise perfect but has less than 1000 rounds through it.

My Glock 34 had a few FTF’s and an FTE early on with factory RN ammo (and more with my early 9mm reloads), but has been fine for the last 5000 rounds or so.

My 9mm CZ75B was problematic when new due to premature slide lock. I modified the slide stop and it’s fed a couple thousand consecutive rounds of factory ammo and hand loads. It’s pretty sweet now.

My XD45 has been 100% with factory and hand-loaded RN and HP ammo (approx 4K rounds). It doesn’t like SWC hand loads, and often fails-to-feed them. No big deal.

My Kimber Super Match II has fed about 7000 rounds of RN ammo, mostly hand loads, with no issues. It has occasionally had issues with my SWC reloads, but I think I have those dialed in (right OAL). This pistol has a snug but smooth slide-to-frame fit, and after 3-4 hundred rounds of my somewhat dirty reloads (I use Tightgroup and WIN 231) I can really tell that there is some grit in the works, but it always makes it through the range trip.

My new Springfield GI .45 has one trip and less than 400 rounds through it. It had a couple of hiccups with my SWC hand loads. It fed 230 grain RN just fine.

bowl443
March 27, 2008, 10:21 AM
Never a problem with my XD 9... Maybe 1000 rounds thru it..

HoosierQ
March 27, 2008, 01:22 PM
Glock 17 totally reliable since 1992. Only limp wrist issues with my ex and my boy.

Got a new S&W M&P 45 with no jams but only 220 rounds. No FTF, no FTE. I did have a bad sear or something that wouldn't let go when you pulled the trigger from time to time but S&W seems to have fixed that with a new sear block and a new striker...they just swapped out those two parts and sent it back in about 2 days. Crossing my fingers.

JohnBT
March 27, 2008, 01:43 PM
"Has your autoloader EVER jammed on you?"

Which one? I have a bunch.

If your gun has never failed you haven't shot it enough. If none of your guns have failed you don't have enough guns.

John

weisse52
March 27, 2008, 03:32 PM
EVER....well after 35 years of shooting that answer must be yes. But then I have had a revolver jam as well. If you are around long enough anything can happen.

USMCDK
March 27, 2008, 04:09 PM
Yes actually I have to say yes to mine finally and not just my wife's this time... I finally got my H&K USP.45 to jam. I was proving a point to my wife about limp wrist and while doing so I mannaged to jam it with a FTF. Stupid :banghead: me lol.

caltek1911
March 28, 2008, 02:23 AM
My USP9 only jammed twice due to limp wristing with over 6500 rounds through it. My Sig 229 has not jammed on me yet, but my buddy got a FTF with a mag he loaded. As for my 1911, it jams more than I would like. It might be that the feed ramp needs polishing, but its not the ammo or mags. Any suggestions are welcome. My P22 jams after it gets real dirty, not too concerned about it though.

Nematocyst
March 28, 2008, 02:26 AM
I voted no.

My revolvers have never jammed.

Oh, wait ... :scrutiny:
sorry, wrong section. :uhoh:

:evil:

TestPilot
March 28, 2008, 03:28 AM
A SIG Sauer P229 I owned and maintained never jammed on me on live fire.

Kahr PM9 jammed a lot. It was not past the "break in" period manufacturer claimed. However, I decided it was not for me, because I once I looked at the internal design, I did not see enough hope that the issue,"nose dive", will be fixed. As far as I'm concerned, Kahr PM9 is poorly designed.

I had a malfuction with a Glock 22, but it was because of a defective ammo not the pistol.

Nematocyst
March 28, 2008, 03:36 AM
Kahr PM9 jammed a lot.Several years ago,
after coming to THR seeking shotgun advice
(and finding it), I decided it was time to upgrade my pistol.

I did a lot of research, reading LOTS of threads.

I decided that I wanted a Kahr in 9mm.

Next came the question, which one.

One thing I learned loud and clear, at least then:
stay away from the polymers. Go steel.
Maybe Kahr has the polymer models working well now.

Still, I like steel guns.

All of my revolvers are all steel
except the grips, which are polymer.

Oh, but wait,
once again, I've erred.
Wrong section for a comment about revolvers.

So sorry.

Let me redeem myself.
<ahem>
If I was going to purchase a semi-auto pistol
having a low probability of jamming,
I'd buy one made of all steel
(except grips).

TestPilot
March 29, 2008, 11:06 PM
One thing I learned loud and clear, at least then:
stay away from the polymers. Go steel.
Maybe Kahr has the polymer models working well now.

I don't think so. If it's an issue such as a part machined out of tolerance, there's hope. But, from what I've seen, PM9's design is flawed from foundation. That's why I did not bother to check how it can be fixed.

The major one is that the feed ramp angle is too steep, and is also tall. It's like the nose of the bullet is slamming on a wall that's angled slightly rather than sliding up a ramp. I guess they gave it some angle, crossed their fingers, and when the nose of the cartidge pointed up and got into the chamber most of the time, they just went with that. To make the matter worse, the magazine design does not insure that the ammo inside keeps proper attitude. Some ammo inside will even travel upwards in a relatively "nose down" attitude.

I would not even say those PM9's should not have left the factory in that condition. Because as it is, it should not have even left the design table.

loop
March 30, 2008, 06:31 AM
If your auto hasn't jammed you haven't shot enough rounds.

Kevin108
March 30, 2008, 08:21 AM
I don't keep the ones that don't keep going. ;-)

aquapong
March 30, 2008, 08:49 AM
Both of Glocks have, but they were magazine caused failures.

Mr. Bill
March 31, 2008, 10:39 PM
SIG P226/9 - 1750 rounds with no malfunctions

Glock 26 - 2350 rounds with 5 malfunctions (2 failure to fire with light off-center primer strike, 3 FTEs) all in the first 1400 rounds. I adjusted my grip to better control muzzle flip and have no failures in the last 950 rounds.

james 47
April 1, 2008, 12:37 AM
The only gun I've ever handled or owned military or civilan that shot all the time every time was a DAISY PUMP

Hanzerik
April 1, 2008, 12:47 AM
I can honestly say my G19 has never had a hiccup with WWB and my JHP carry ammo, but as of this past Saturday I have ONLY shot approximately 600 rounds through it. 500 of those have been the bulk pack WWB FMJ you get at Wally World, and the rest have been testing and burning up of my old carry ammo which I just swapped for new stuff last month.

Before that I had a XD9 and a XD9SC that never had any issues during the time I owned them.

I did have a P22 that had an occasional FTRTB, and FTE.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has your autoloader jammed on you yet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!