Police need a cannon? According to Fox News they have one......

PDA

TexasRifleman
March 6, 2008, 07:54 PM
Article mentions "non lethal" but I sure as hell don't see how :)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335801,00.html

From the article......

Using only compressed air, no explosives, the cannon can fire a standard 44.5-pound drinking water container. It can lob heavier containers filled with sand, gravel or concrete powder to increase penetration. Recharged and reloaded in seconds, it fires up to four shots in 60 seconds.

Hostages could more safely be rescued using this cannon because the majority of its kinetic energy would be lost on impact, making it far less dangerous for hostages on the opposite side of the breached wall.

Or say a Jack Bauer-type has located a suspicious vehicle, a mail delivery truck, for example, and they are concerned there might be explosive terrorist material in the truck. Rather than risk lives, the cannon could be used to punch a hole in the side or take the roof off the vehicle.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/350204/0_61_030608_SecurityBarrier01.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Police need a cannon? According to Fox News they have one......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zxcvbob
March 6, 2008, 08:02 PM
It's painted black, I guess that makes it "tactical". ;)

arthurcw
March 6, 2008, 08:06 PM
Um... How... What if...

*raises hand*

Um... What happens when a 44.5 pound jug of water sails through the air at even its SLOWEST cruising speed and whacks into said hostages? Less lethal than being hit with a 44.5 pound brick? Less lethal than a 44.5 pound hunk of anything?

Maybe they can get one of the mounted patrols to dramatically point a sword and yell, "FIRE!"

In 200 years, they'll be "Civil War II" re-enactors wheeling one of these into the field and arguing, "IT IS TOO PERIOD! I found a reference to it on an old news archive!"

pdowg881
March 6, 2008, 08:08 PM
I don't see how that's non lethal. Sure it's purpose of breaking barriers is non lethal , but if you shoot a 45 pound water jug at a person it probably could be letal. Dropping a 45 gallon jug on my head from two feet in the air would likely break my neck.

DoubleTapDrew
March 6, 2008, 08:11 PM
Water balloon fights will never be the same.

R127
March 6, 2008, 08:20 PM
Come on guys! Now how can you have a halfway decent paranoid security state that sees its own citizens as potential enemies unless you cultivate an us versus them mentality among law enforcement and then arm them in a paramilitary fashion? I'm just glad that the Department of Homeland Insecurity is able to give them enough money to afford these kinds of weapons. I for one sleep a lot better at night knowing that the local PD can blow the snot out of my neighbor's home on a whim.

TexasRifleman
March 6, 2008, 08:22 PM
I'm just thinking about a couple redneck buddies of mine that are really good welders.

This thing would take them about an hour and a half to build.

Might have to look into it :)

Rokyudai
March 6, 2008, 08:26 PM
Pssh...that's just the cannon that launches the "I love NY" t-shirts at Madison Square Garden. :neener:

NG VI
March 6, 2008, 08:29 PM
It looks and sounds retarded, and I don't want to label anyone involved, but...

eta- lawsuits waiting to be initiated

stubob2517
March 6, 2008, 08:37 PM
Looking at the air cylinder at the back end even if it can be reloaded in seconds I don't think they will get many shots off.

My money is on the ray gun crew;)

arthurcw
March 6, 2008, 08:52 PM
I'm just thinking about a couple redneck buddies of mine that are really good welders.

This thing would take them about an hour and a half to build.

Might have to look into it

That's not a half bad idea.

That plus a few acres, some watermelons, a couple cases of beer and you got the makin's of a happy Saturday Afternoon.

Big Boomer
March 6, 2008, 09:03 PM
um why not just drive a 4500 lb vehicle through the barrier?probably just as "less lethal" but dead is still dead.

I call my 45 less lethal because it can take multiple shots to kill, therefore because it does not kill 100% of the time it's "less lethal" than say my 500. Now that can kill ANYTHING with 1 shot :evil:

230RN
March 6, 2008, 09:14 PM
They're outgunned anyhow. Ain'cha never heard of pumpkin guns?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=pumpkin+gun&gbv=1

They call it "Punkin Chunkin,"

It took ten years -- until 1996 -- for a pumpkin to be hurled (by catapults and trebuchets and the like --230RN) 1,000 feet. Since the arrival of the first air cannon in 1997, that distance has more than quadrupled, to just under 4,500 feet. "Everybody wants to build the first machine to break the mythical mile," Shade told us, and with the new field, and ever-improving artillery, he expects it to happen soon.

Sorta makes me compare a German 88 with a civil war mortar.

Rachen
March 6, 2008, 10:49 PM
Question for you:

Would that cannon fit on a tactical golf cart? Also, just in case the barrel takes multiple .308 rounds in combat with hardened gangs trying to hijack the coveted Mortal Kombat console, is there any place on the piece for taping trauma plates?

Stevie-Ray
March 6, 2008, 10:55 PM
the cannon could be used to punch a hole in the side or take the roof off the vehicle. Well, there goes the non-lethal aspect.:D

Geno
March 6, 2008, 11:17 PM
When I was a HS principal, one of the teachers owned a genuine civil war era mortar. Now that thing was awesome.

Shugging...looks like it's time to get paranoid and start building that "bunker". :neener: Should probably buy that mortar too. :rolleyes: Hades on high everyone.

The thing can only fire 4 rounds per minute. You all telling me you wanna stand there stuffing that thing's muzzle as some thug is popping off 100 rounds of 5.56 AP?!

I don't see it as such a big deal. One precise round into the air tank and it's rendered 50 pounds of art-deco steel on wheels. I do believe it is a waste of money. Wait...no auto-load? No remote control?!

Anyone who wants a cannon? Maybe a mortar? Build one. They are legal. So long as it is a muzzle stuffer such as that mortar.

jakemccoy
March 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
Cops are lickin' their chops to use this beast on the next unruly crowd.

Tribal
March 6, 2008, 11:43 PM
I was just wondering if this is an AOW or a Destructive Device. So long as no one attaches a telescoping stock to the back or a bayonet lug to the front, we may be okay.

Gunnerpalace
March 6, 2008, 11:44 PM
I like pumkin chunkin the name of the winner...Second Amendment!

I for one sleep a lot better at night knowing that the local PD can blow the snot out of my neighbor's home on a whim.
:D

Elm Creek Smith
March 6, 2008, 11:50 PM
So long as no one attaches a telescoping stock to the back or a bayonet lug to the front, we may be okay.

I don't know. Does it have "that thing that goes up over the shoulder?"

ECS

230RN
March 7, 2008, 12:30 AM
Rachen asked,

Would that cannon fit on a tactical golf cart?

Wul, maybe not, but....

(Note this picture appeared on THR a couple of years ago but I don't recall who posted it.)

plexreticle
March 7, 2008, 12:41 AM
Now the local yocals insted of kicking down the wrong door can blast the side off the wrong house.

230RN
March 7, 2008, 12:45 AM
Doc2005:

When I was a HS principal, one of the teachers owned a genuine civil war era mortar. Now that thing was awesome.

DoubleTapDrew
March 7, 2008, 12:47 AM
I hope they are fast with their slide rules and trig calculations because that thing doesn't appear to have any sights and a small air tank.
Why don't they just take the next step and start buying javelin anti-tank launchers if they want to start blowing holes in walls and the roofs off vehicles?

North of 49th
March 7, 2008, 01:19 AM
how do they figure getting hit with a water jug flying through the air is non-lethal, never mind gravel or sand. What if that kinetic energy is lost on impact with the hostage that it's trying to save?
How embarrassing to be killed by a Non-lethal weapon?
"Non-lethal weapon" :rolleyes:

Gingerbreadman
March 7, 2008, 01:27 AM
Its a tactical spud gun. It needs to be mounted in a wheelbarrow.

Geno
March 7, 2008, 07:46 AM
That's a good picture! The teacher's mortar was about 1/2 that one but the ball was the same diameter. I no longer recall precisely how far he said it could fire, but it seems like he said close to 5 miles.

Here we go...some modern types:

http://clovermachine.net/index.htm

http://clovermachine.net/images/P5270540.JPG

http://clovermachine.net/images/P5270538.JPG

http://clovermachine.net/images/P5270543.JPG

Here is another company:

http://www.cannonthunder.com/

http://www.cannonthunder.com/images/CAN_IN_BARREL.JPG

Nomad101bc
March 7, 2008, 09:56 AM
I'd rather have the cops carrying AT-4's than an indiscrimanate cannon. Then again with the high accidental discharge rate among cops I can only cringe thinking of a negligent discharge with one of those. Worse yet they get the wrong address and then blow poor grannies house to pieces.

D94R
March 7, 2008, 10:06 AM
If anyone watched future weapons the other night (when they 'introduced' the IAR) then you would see the high resemblance to the "water" style explosives they were showing.

It uses a charge to discharge a directional volume of water at a high rate to nuetralize any explosive device with out detonating the device itself. It was pretty interesting.

I'd assume the cannon works on the same principal. I don't think some of you are thinking that if a canister of water is launched from the cannon that whatever encases the water is more than likely going to break away from force shortly after leaving the barrel. Kinda like the wadding in a shotgun shell. (only different lol). Leaving just a spray or stream of high intensity water.

Using the 'water charge' (exact terminology escapes me) allowed explosive devices to be neutralized with just a fraction the damage that would have been caused by the explosive itself had it been used.

Other more solid projectiles though would be in another ball park as far as usage from the cops I'd imagine.

230RN
March 7, 2008, 10:45 AM
My w'il Carronade. Got wheels on it now and I'm looking for some decent-looking screws for the trunnion straps.

Bore 1/2". The balls are for show and are actually .44 caliber lead for my 1858 revolver.

ColinthePilot
March 7, 2008, 11:21 AM
Its a tactical spud gun. It needs to be mounted in a wheelbarrow.

I always wanted to paint my spud gun black. Mine was actually compressed air driven too.

I don't care if its tactical, useful, realistic, giant liability for the cops...I WANT ONE!!!!

NG VI
March 7, 2008, 11:50 AM
non-lethal like that girl who was shot in the head with a beanbag in Boston a year or two ago? Great job P.R. Mass!

JWarren
March 7, 2008, 11:55 AM

I am wondering if I should tell about my late-uncle's Oxy-Acetylene Turnip-root cannon that he made when I was a boy.

I wish to God, I was making that up... but he really had one. He could shoot a turnip-root over 300 yards with it.

Uncles are fun. I gotta come up with something like this to warp my nephew and piss off my sister.

-- John

jrou111
March 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
Just FYI, water weights approx. 8lbs per gallon.

So about a 360lb projectile.

230RN
March 7, 2008, 12:13 PM
jrou111, I think you multiplied instead of divided.

They already said it was a 44.5 pound container:

Using only compressed air, no explosives, the cannon can fire a standard 44.5-pound drinking water container.

About 5 liquid US gallons.

Tim L
March 7, 2008, 12:53 PM
I wonder what kind of pattern 44 lbs of "gravel" will produce.

Tim

Blackfork
March 7, 2008, 01:00 PM
...Do they yell: "WATER IN THE HOLE!!!"

230RN
March 7, 2008, 02:21 PM
^
LOL.

I thought it would be "Air in the hole!"

rcmodel
March 7, 2008, 02:25 PM
If they launch a 44 pound jug out of that little wheeled cannon, I'm betting the cannon will be more lethal then the jug.

Recoil would put that flimsy little cannon in orbit!

rcmodel

NG VI
March 7, 2008, 02:42 PM
Looks like it could be fun, but it seems to have no realistic use for anyone but Gecko45. and why on earth would any police force want to tear the roof off a vehicle?

Eric F
March 7, 2008, 02:45 PM
Great now they have tactical potato guns whats next?

Nightwing
March 7, 2008, 03:51 PM
It's painted black, I guess that makes it "tactical".

you've got it all wrong.....

it's an ASSAULT CANNON!!!! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Police need a cannon? According to Fox News they have one......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!