What do publishers know that we don't?

PDA

bogie
March 7, 2008, 02:32 AM
There's an author named Willliam Johnstone out there... A while back, he hacked out (in many senses of the word...) a series of "SHTF/TEOTAWKI" books called the "Ashes" series... Ashes of this, Ashes of that... Basic "raw heroes valiantly resist the monsterous gooberment..." Generally seemed to pander to the gunshop commando groups... I don't recall if the one I read got into the Turner Diaries realms or not, but I really wasn't all that impressed...

Haven't seen any on the shelves for about the past 8 years or so... Now, they're re-releasing 'em all... Which tells me that someone, somewhere, thinks that they'll sell... I don't know if they're assuming that ammo shortages and a spike in gun sales equals that, or not...

Just an observation...

If you enjoyed reading about "What do publishers know that we don't?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mekender
March 7, 2008, 02:47 AM
i have the entire series... he is (was) my favorite author... sadly he died a couple years back... but yeah they will sell, he was a damn prolific author, and a good one at that...

check out some of his horror and westerns too... you'll like those

Kind of Blued
March 7, 2008, 04:42 AM
My "disgust with the lack of respect of those in positions to make loads of money" gland is telling me something is up seeing as how he recently died.

mekender
March 7, 2008, 05:27 AM
well he died in 2004, so who knows

crashm1
March 7, 2008, 08:55 AM
I read most of them when they came out, they are comepletely disposable but kinda fun for a minute. I have reread a couple of them and they aren't particularly racist but there is a very clear anti nanny streak running through them and much trashing of liberals. I have a copy of the Turner Diaries that I've tried to read a few times. I can't suspend my disbelief long enough to get past chapter 2. Complete gibberish.

buzz_knox
March 7, 2008, 11:13 AM
Generally seemed to pander to the gunshop commando groups... I don't recall if the one I read got into the Turner Diaries realms or not, but I really wasn't all that impressed...

No, they don't. The society the heroes set up is libertarian in all regards. Their opponents tend to be racist groups, groups (often fascist or liberal) seeking to control all aspects of society, organized cannibal bands, or some combination of the above.

The books were originally marketed by Zebra as men's adventure, and within that category, they really aren't that bad. The fall in the same area as the Survivalist series by Ahern: the good guy is actually good, the bad guys are bad, and the situations are resolved largely through the proper application of ordnance.

I have reread a couple of them and they aren't particularly racist but there is a very clear anti nanny streak running through them and much trashing of liberals.

If memory serves, the cast of heroes are a mix of races, and the main protagonist had zero racial issues (having fallen in love and conceived a child with a black woman, who was subsequently murdered). Some of the opposition, by contrast, was decidedly racist, going so far as to sterilize blacks against their will.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do publishers know that we don't?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!