.223 Rem Flash Hole Uniformity

PDA

spencerhut
March 7, 2008, 09:54 AM
I was loading up some plinkers for the AR and busted the de-capping pin on my X-Die. After looking the offending case over, the flash hole was way undersized. This was some military surplus ball ammo I got from Ammoman. The rounds are marked IK on the head. While some of you may toss these, I'm a frugal guy. I've never been into minute of a gnats ass type accuracy so I'm not a flash hole deburring kind of guy. But I did head over to MidwayUSA and get a Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer Tool for $10
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=729748
The really cool part about this Lyman tool is you can remove the handle and mount it in your RCBS Power Station or even a regular old drill for that matter. So 3/4 hour later I had all the offending flash holes in ~500rds all fixed up. This batch of brass was a mixed bunch and while cleaning the flash holes I observed the following.

FC, R-P, UMC, PMC, LC, WCC, FNM - All had minimal material removed from the flash hole and could be used as is with zero problems.
Black Hills Gold Match .223 - Some cases were already perfect, some had huge chunks falling out. The most inconsistent of all I uniformed. Still perfectly usable. Never would have known if I wasn't playing with the new toy.
NPA - Very undersized flash holes. High pressure required to ream out the holes. Unreamed holes causing decapping pin to meet heavy resistance on my X-Die when loading. Lee Decapping die is smaller and slipped right through with little to no trouble.
IK - The smallest flash hole of all. Very high (fatiguing) pressure required to ream out the flash holes. Unreamed holes break decapping pins on RCBS X-Die when loading. Lee Decapping die could be whacked through the very small flash hole with a hammer. Ruins case though. Why would you ever do this? I only did it once thinking the crimp was really tight on the primer.

If you enjoyed reading about ".223 Rem Flash Hole Uniformity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about ".223 Rem Flash Hole Uniformity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!