Is Vit N320 too fast burning for .45ACP? Cleaner than Unique?

PDA

buenhec
March 7, 2008, 08:20 PM
I have been using Unique for a while now on my ACP. I am going to begin loading 9mm and have been told Vit320 is the best bet for 9mm.

In trying to use the same powder for everthing, how does Vit N320 work on a 45? Also how does Unique work in a 9mm. I dont think Unique is dirty, but I have been told that Vit is way cleaner than Unique.

I am using 5.1 grains with a 200lswc in my .45. According to several sites 5.1 will also work in my 9mm with a 124rn. This could make things a bit less confusing and avoid errors also, right?

Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Vit N320 too fast burning for .45ACP? Cleaner than Unique?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Galil5.56
March 7, 2008, 08:39 PM
Depending on the desired load, VV320 looks very good for moderate loading in 45 ACP. Personally, as a general rule I like to use propellants of a more moderate burning rate for the 9mm. HS-6, Unique, and AA#5 have done very well for me with "service" type loads.

I have loaded a lot of 9mm with a ton of different bullets using Unique, and all are like butter and toast. Unique works so well over a very wide range of weights and velocities. 3.8 grains and a 125 grain lead bullet for plinking, 5.5 grains and a 124 FMJ gives you a std (approx 1150 fps) service load, and the Alliant max of 6.2 grains will push a 124 FMJ about 1250+ fps from 4.5-5" guns without exceeding the SAAMI 35k std pressure ceiling. I use this load for my 9mm SD rounds, and can assure you it's plenty stout.

Although not as measure friendly as ball propellants, I have no problem keeping them within .2 grain when running my 550B. Only thing some folks fret about is that the charge will most likely be compressed; which is of no consequence.

Good luck!

Canuck-IL
March 7, 2008, 08:53 PM
320 is excellent in 45 ... a lot if shooters even use 310 which is about as fast as BE. All the VV powders seem to be unusually clean - certainly better than BE, Unique or 231. Regular Clays and the WST are probably the next cleanest after the Vihta lineup.

No help on 9mm - I've only loaded Titegroup for those.
/Bryan

Walkalong
March 7, 2008, 09:25 PM
N320 works very well in the .45 as long as you are not trying for top end loads. Very clean, very accurate. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Vit N320 too fast burning for .45ACP? Cleaner than Unique?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!