Tips for removing M1 Carbine gas piston?

PDA

Ratzinger_p38
March 7, 2008, 09:19 PM
WITHOUT the wrench. Yes, I dont have the gas piston wrench, I will get one in a week or so if no one can help me out.

The nut for the gas piston will not budge. I tried using a punch to loosen it but nada.

Tips? Tricks to this? Ive heard of it being done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tips for removing M1 Carbine gas piston?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SlamFire1
March 7, 2008, 09:30 PM
Get the wrench. I looked at my carbines and decided the wrench was the proper way to go.

When you are hitting the nut with a punch, you are applying a hard shock load, one that is hard on everything.

Soak the piston/nut with Kroil, use the wrench, and get the nut off. My recollection is that I used antiseize grease when I put the nut back on.

Trebor
March 8, 2008, 02:59 AM
I agree. Use the wrench or risk messing up your gun.

dscottw88
March 8, 2008, 04:13 AM
Unknowingly, I wasn't aware of a "carbine piston nut wrench" and just used a pair of needle-nose to get it. I didn't harm anything in the process, but I didn't ever wanna risk it again so I ordered one. Thing works like a charm!

Bwana John
March 8, 2008, 09:21 AM
You can make a wrench using a old socket the correct size and a dremmil tool.

Remember the nut is staked in and not ment to be repeatadly taken on and off.

dogrunner
March 8, 2008, 01:20 PM
I was just gonna mention the staking BJ. Wait till you get that wrench unless you've sufficient expertise to make one with the proper lugs to engage the slots evenly.....DO re-stake it as otherwise it'l sure work loose.

I've owned an M/2 for over forty years and when I first began to use cast bullets I pulled mine down just to see of the tales of leading had any basis ( they DON'T) and unless you have a real reason to pull that nut and piston I most strongly recommend you leave it alone.

GBExpat
March 8, 2008, 01:26 PM
Get a proper wrench.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tips for removing M1 Carbine gas piston?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!