Ramshot X-terminator powder

PDA

CZ223
March 7, 2008, 10:34 PM
Has anyone tried this stuff in the 223 or the 204. Midway has it on sale for $11/pound and if it is near as good as as TAC I want to stock up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ramshot X-terminator powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fgr39
March 7, 2008, 10:47 PM
I used it for some lighter .223 loads 55 grain and 40 grain and it worked very well. It meters great and ramshot has load data on their website. I think they only have data for upto 55 grain loads.

Walkalong
March 8, 2008, 09:28 AM
and if it is near as good as as TAC I want to stock up.It is, but faster than TAC (http://www.ramshot.com/powders/).

CZ223
March 8, 2008, 10:24 AM
You mean I can't throw the same charges as I do with Tac without consulting the reloading info.:evil: I know you mean well, I could be an idiot. :D Ask my wife and she may confirm that for you. Seriously though, I was hoping that someone can give me some insight as to how this stuff performs. Specifics like charge weight, bullet weight, brand and accuracy results would be helpful. I will of course follow all the safety rules when working up my own loads.

ReloaderFred
March 8, 2008, 11:04 AM
It's similar to, but not the same as, Winchester 748. It's intended purpose is bullets weighing 55 grains and under for the .223.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Walkalong
March 8, 2008, 06:48 PM
Walkalong
You mean I can't throw the same charges as I do with Tac without consulting the reloading info. :evil:
Yep.

I know you know better than that. Thought the link might be helpful. Probably had that scoped out already as well, huh. :)

I have no experience with it in .223, only 6PPC, where I have used TAC, and prefer N133 over all else.

Roccobro
March 8, 2008, 09:28 PM
I was wondering the exact same Q as the OP....

Thanks. :)

Justin

Seafarer12
March 8, 2008, 11:07 PM
factor in shipping and hazmat is 11 still a good deal. From what I hear Midway has been going crazy on shipping.

asknight
March 9, 2008, 01:49 AM
Don't forget the $20 hazmat and additional $9.99 shipping on powder. Might have to buy a few pounds to make it worthwhile.

stubbicatt
March 9, 2008, 09:52 AM
It gave very consistent velocities when I measured it with 55 grain bullets. That is a good value on that powder. Too bad I just bought 16# of TAC from here (www.powdervalleyinc.com).

CZ223
March 9, 2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the link. I have scoped that out as well. I have probably 18 lbs of Tac on hand right now. If youhaven't used TAC yet you won't be sorry. I Bought 23 pounds when it was on sale at $10/pound. Yes of course you have to figure in in shipping and Hazmat fees. Midway will ship up to 48 lbs of powder for $30. So if you buy 48 pounds your final cost is like $11.63 per pound. With the 223 and charge weights of around 25 grains you only get 280 rounds per pound. For those of you who shoot thousands of rounds through your AR or at prairie dogs having 10 or 20 pounds is a no brainer. Get a couple of buddies to go in on an order with you to defer the shipping costs. Around here powder is going for $18/pound and up waaaaaay up. Even though I probably won't buy 48 pounds of this stuff I might buy 20 and buy some other powder at the same time.

stubbicatt
March 10, 2008, 08:00 AM
I just noticed that Powdervalleyinc dot com is not carrying the Xterminator anymore. I wonder whether it is being discontinued by the manufacturer? It is awful close to the TAC in terms of burning rate etc., so maybe they decided to discontinue the Xterminator?

steve4102
March 10, 2008, 08:09 AM
I just noticed that Powdervalleyinc dot com is not carrying the Xterminator anymore.

Where did you come up with this? Powder Valley has both 1lb and 8lb jugs in stock.
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

asknight
March 10, 2008, 09:51 AM
They can't discontinue Xterminator! All of the 6.8SPC and Grendel guys would throw a fit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ramshot X-terminator powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!