Cast Bullets in .22 Hornet

PDA

dagger dog
March 8, 2008, 08:40 AM
Just got to get into bullet casting, it's a lot eaiser than trying to make your own brass!
Any one out there shoot cast bullets in their Hornets? If yes what moulds do you use, gas checks or no, what lenght bbl.Tell me about your favorite loads . Have you shot them over a chronagraph? Have you hunted with them? :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Cast Bullets in .22 Hornet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
moosehunt
March 8, 2008, 01:54 PM
I can't give a positive report. I tried them in mine (actually a K-Hornet) and the results were so poor, I didn't continue messing with them. I couldn't even keep them all on the paper. They were 54 gr, non-gascheck, wheelweight. Good luck!

iiranger
March 8, 2008, 02:16 PM
Actually the .22 hornet was a lead bullet round originally, the .22 WCF (Winchester Center Fire). Loaded with black powder and lead bullet. About like a high velocity .22 LR today.

So, if you want to "go backwards"... should be workable, but you will have to make it work. Copper fouling in the barrel is a no-no. Clean welllllllll

Lyman has data (and molds). You will need to load way down from standard Hornet performance. If your action will live with it, neck size only. M die to expand the mouth to not shave the bullets.

The 54 grain suggested sounds way heavy to me. The hornet was twisted 1 in 16 ... (Today, nothing is certain. Check.) It is up to you to make things work. LUCK.

dagger dog
March 8, 2008, 06:01 PM
ii,
yeah i can neck size shooting from a bolt rifle 1-14 twist. got to get me a Lyman manual!

thanks for the info guys

If you enjoyed reading about "Cast Bullets in .22 Hornet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!