Semi-auto vs bolt action sniper file comparison

PDA

LongRangeInternational
March 8, 2008, 11:48 AM
M40A3 vs SR-25 (http://longrangeinternational.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=128)

This is based on my experience employing both of these weapons in combat in OIF 1 and the Battle of Fallujah and events leading up to the Battle of Fallujah.

If you enjoyed reading about "Semi-auto vs bolt action sniper file comparison" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LongRangeInternational
March 8, 2008, 06:26 PM
Updated the thread with pics from Fallujah.

hankdatank1362
March 8, 2008, 09:00 PM
Nice review!

Would you say the SR_25 is much more accurate than an out-of-the-box AR-10, from say DPMS?

I've long been thinking about an AR-10, for everything from hunting to SHTF. I can't see myself, realistically, taking shots past 500 yards on zombies, and realistically, 300 yards on deer (I live in the south and we don't have those kind of wide-open expanses.)

LongRangeInternational
March 9, 2008, 09:20 AM
Out of the box, yeah. But I haven't done a comparison against the 24" DPMS, just my 16" personally owned DPMS .308 which is a fine weapon. I use my .308 DPMS for the purposes you mentioned. Got a black bear with it last year.

GunTech
March 9, 2008, 10:26 AM
Of course, if you buy an SR-25 you have to deal with KAS's customer support - or lack thereof. At least as a civilian. My first AR-10 type rifle was an SR-25. These days I just buy and AR-10 and send it off to GAP and have twice the rifle.

LongRangeInternational
March 23, 2008, 07:30 PM
Knight's Armament is all over M4carbine.net and pretty approachable, GunTech.

El Tejon
March 23, 2008, 07:36 PM
Did you have an opportunity to employ the suppressor for the M110?

LongRangeInternational
March 23, 2008, 09:59 PM
Sure did. Worked great, no change in POI. Handy at night.

elmerfudd
March 24, 2008, 12:01 AM
I'm kind of surprised the SR25 didn't shoot better than 1.5-2 MOA. Do you think that was due to the ammo you were using, the conditions or just the rifle itself? Of course, 2 MOA is plenty good enough to do the job out to 500 yards and beyond, but out of a top of the line sniper rifle you just kind of expect to hear about tackdriving accuracy.

taliv
March 24, 2008, 12:18 AM
I'm kind of surprised the SR25 didn't shoot better than 1.5-2 MOA. Do you think that was due to the ammo you were using, the conditions or just the rifle itself?

he probably just forgot to convert his "real world military" groups to "internet" groups

elmerfudd
March 24, 2008, 12:38 AM
Well, there are internet groups and there are internet groups. Generally, I'm a little dubious about all the MOA rifles that people claim to have on the internet, but from what I understand, the SR25 is a very high quality, accurized version of the AR10, which is no slouch in the accuracy department itself. If someone told me their AR10 clone shot 1.5-2 MOA groups I'd find that perfectly believable, so when I hear that an SR25, (that has presumably been worked over by Marine armorers and is being shot by a Marine sniper who can shoot .5 MOA with the M40A3), is shooting 1.5-2 MOA, it makes me wonder about the rifles accuracy.

LongRangeInternational
March 24, 2008, 06:49 AM
The rifle's accuracy is fine, especially for real world sniper work.

I'm sure if we had time to scrub the heck out of it and slightly better ammo, we could have gotten better groups.

elmerfudd, 1.5-2MOA is fine in my book. I don't think our armorers did anything to the SR25, it was issued as is.

elmerfudd
March 24, 2008, 10:42 AM
I have no doubt you are right. I've probably just been led to believe the SR25 is more accurate than it actually is. I'm still surprised by it though.

LongRangeInternational
March 24, 2008, 11:07 AM
I'm sure if we had one out at a normal accuracy testing environment with good ammo and nice and clean, it would shoot better. However, I think that's fine shooting using issue ammo off of a bipod in Iraq.

I'll bet money taliv has some fine groups out of his.

The SR25 is still my choice. We don't need match grade accuracy out of sniper rifles, guys. 1-2 MOA is fine. The new M40A3 is a pain in the ass to lug around and all the sniper I know prefer the older, less accurate stock.

Pilot
March 24, 2008, 11:11 AM
Maybe I missed it, but what barrel length is your SR25? Thanks for your service, btw.

GunDoctor
March 24, 2008, 12:24 PM
First of all SEMPER FI, and thanks for going to the sand box for those of us they wouldn't let re-inlist.
That was a great review. I worked for a couple years (post USMC) as an armorer for another govt agenct. They picked up the SR-25 and had nothing but trouble because they could only get the civillian model. Im glad to hear that the rifle worked better for you. Ours would double and tripple tap out of the box about half of the time. The trigger springs were just too light. Thanks for letting us know how well the SR-25 worked for you.

taliv
March 24, 2008, 12:46 PM
hey Longrange, speaking of stocks...

i'm pondering swapping out the good old A2 fixed for a magpul PRS. you have any opinions about that?

the A2 isn't the best stock ever made, but since i shoot so much NRA/CMP service rifle, I'm pretty comfortable with it.

i'm afraid the PRS would be largely a cosmetic upgrade since i'm not sure how much knob-twisting i'd really want to do

El Tejon
March 24, 2008, 01:23 PM
I have other questions, LRI. What ammunition did you employ in the M110?

Did you have access to commercial match grade ammo? Did anyone over there have access to commercial ammo? Have you used the higher end ammo stateside? Any difference?

If you use it again, would you like commercial ammo? I'm thinking a THR ammo raiser.:D

taliv
March 24, 2008, 01:38 PM
heh, el T, we should make a little THR infomercial... get a chunky Has-Been spokeschick...

"for the price of a cup of coffee, you could sponsor a bullet..."

"if you PM us now, we'll write your screen name on a bullet and send it to a real USMC sniper shooting smelly, bearded men..."

"each month, you'll get a report letting you know just where your bullet has been..."

"and if it is used to shoot an actual terrorist, we'll send you this lovely certificate showing the range, dope and wind call, signed by..."

"don't delay! PM us now! moderators are standing by..."

aloharover
March 24, 2008, 02:43 PM
When I was down range in 04 we had access to Federal 168g SMKs. But it also was common for guys to simply break a couple rounds of the 240 belt.

Beamish
March 24, 2008, 03:06 PM
But I haven't done a comparison against the 24" DPMS, just my 16" personally owned DPMS .308 which is a fine weapon.
One of the attendees at the June LRI LRH Course just picked up a DPMS SASS for the class. You can probably make some comparisons then.

Mot45acp
March 24, 2008, 04:51 PM
taliv: you owe me a keyboard.

LongRangeInternational
March 26, 2008, 12:47 PM
El Tejon, we used Lake City 175 grain. We' probably rather stick what military issue for commonality with other units, availability, and it's what we know. We had no access to commercial grade ammo and even ran out of chow a couple of times.

LongRangeInternational
March 26, 2008, 12:49 PM
taliv if the new stock feel good to you go for it and post pics.

LongRangeInternational
August 5, 2008, 07:51 AM
Bumping this to help raise awareness on what the AR10/SR25 platform can do.

If you enjoyed reading about "Semi-auto vs bolt action sniper file comparison" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!