about t take my DSA STG 58 out today for the first time, barrel break in question?

PDA

datruth
March 8, 2008, 04:56 PM
has anybody ever burnished the barrel or proper break in procedures on one, just shooting Australian and Lithuanian battle packs through it today, any advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "about t take my DSA STG 58 out today for the first time, barrel break in question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
March 8, 2008, 05:56 PM
It's never gonna shoot much better than 3MOA anyway, I don't see the point in any kind of barrel break in for anything that won't shoot 1MOA.

Maybe on a rifle like that it's worth it.

I'd just take it out and shoot the hell out of it, enjoy!

But it's a religious thing so you'll have some posts with 200 step "must do" break in procedure too, and they won't be any more or less right than me.

Do what seems like a good idea to you.

Deer Hunter
March 8, 2008, 05:57 PM
Your STG will shoot better than 3 MOA, I assure you. Scope iti and see what happens.

Mine will shoot around 1.5 if I do my part and actually shoot good ammo through it.

TexasRifleman
March 8, 2008, 05:59 PM
Mine will shoot around 1.5 if I do my part and actually shoot good ammo through it.

He's shooting Aussie and Lithuanian, 3 is about all he's gonna see.
Although, the Lithuanian seems to do a lot better in my rifles.

But yeah, if you get some good match ammo you can certainly do better, I've just never been convinced a barrel break in matters on these kinds of rifles.

Andrewsky
March 8, 2008, 06:00 PM
I thought the barrels were used on those?

No point in doing a break-in if it's had rounds through it.

TexasRifleman
March 8, 2008, 06:01 PM
DSA ran out of the surplus barrels a while back, they are shipping now with a US made new barrel.
Depends on how old it is.

I can't remember exactly but I think the DSA guys were posting at FalFiles last fall that they were out of surplus barrels.

Deer Hunter
March 8, 2008, 06:02 PM
I see.

Depends, actually, one when his STG was put together by DSA. They are using new barrels in them now. I got a new barrel on my STG because I wanted an 18" barrel.

LongRangeInternational
March 8, 2008, 06:23 PM
Pull a patch through it before shooting, shoot, establish a cleaning routine and do NOT deviate from it. Deviating from a cleaning routine is a sure way to waste time at the range getting your rifle back on target. At the Marine Corps Advanced Scout Sniper course, I used 4 patches a day cleaning and my cold bore zero never changed.

Breaking in barrels is a waste of time and barrel life. We just had a discussion (http://longrangeinternational.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=138) about this at LRI.

If you enjoyed reading about "about t take my DSA STG 58 out today for the first time, barrel break in question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!