M-40A3 question

PDA

cripple
March 8, 2008, 06:00 PM
My son is getting out of IPSC for awhile and moving towards long range rifle competitions. He already has a decked out .223 and would like to have something in a .308 to go along with it.

My question is:

If we wanted to build something similar to a M-40A3, which Remington 700 would we start with? I have seen the LTR and now the XCR but Im not sure of the difference. Maybe we should just start with a regular SPS and go from there? Im unsure.

Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "M-40A3 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stryker60
March 8, 2008, 07:43 PM
It depends on how close you want to come. If you want to build a near replica, you will be discarding everything except the action. The A3 stock alone will represent a substantial expense. I believe the A3 has a pretty heavy barrel, heavier in contour than the Remington varmint.

Personally, I purchased the cheapest used short action 700 I could find and will be sending it to a gunsmith with experience building these kinds of rifles for a premium barrel. I expect the final product will be far ahead of a factory Reminton and will not cost too much more, at current prices.

The simple route would be to locate a varmint configuration and drop it into the McMillan A3 stock.

Stryker60

Harold Mayo
March 9, 2008, 01:36 PM
Not to knock THR but asking questions over at Snipers Hide would bear more fruit.

If you enjoyed reading about "M-40A3 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!