Army San Marco quality?

PDA

MISSEDSHOT
March 8, 2008, 09:06 PM
I just bought an 1860 Colt repro. by ASM and was wondering about its' quality as far as function goes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Army San Marco quality?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Im283
March 8, 2008, 09:08 PM
shouldn't you have asked it first? Doesn't much matter now that you have it. Just go and shoot the thing.

MISSEDSHOT
March 8, 2008, 10:02 PM
I have shooters, my question is directed to those that have ASMs with lots of miles or any miles at all. I can re-sale and come out great.

Bad Flynch
March 8, 2008, 10:19 PM
Armi San Marco (ASM) revolvers have, from time-to-time, had a checkered reputation. Nevertheless, just shoot it and see what happens. You have money in the thing and so, you might as well have a little fun.

mykeal
March 8, 2008, 10:28 PM
I have one ASM c&b revolver: a Walker. It does not compare with my Uberti Walker with respect to finish. The action is smooth, lock up is tight, like the Uberti. I have not had the opportunity to shoot them under the same conditions so I can't comment on accuracy or other operational considerations.

Tommygunn
March 8, 2008, 11:14 PM
When I first got into C&B guns I had some A.S.M. revolvers. This was in the early '90s. When I got more familiar with these guns I realized the workmanship was crude, the metal was quite soft. They shot OK. I later thought Pietta was better, and Uberti was probably the best of them of which I have had experience.
Having said that, in a gunshop back at that time (1992-3) I saw a Colt 1861 by A.S.M. in a nice case which looked very good and even had safety pins between the chambers, unlike any of the Colt A.S.M. I had.

Pulp
March 9, 2008, 12:15 AM
I have a '60 Army. It's always worked for me. But the front sight did fall off awhile back.
I did have a '73SAA. Once I put new springs in it it was fine.

I've heard the same thing you have, but maybe I was lucky with my two.

StrawHat
March 9, 2008, 10:37 AM
Coincidently, I have my first ASM revolver and my first case of soft internal parts.

ASM is out of business.

I have, in the past needed to tune my revolvers to get them to suit me, but this is the first time I will need to replace all the internals except the hammer.

Would I do it again? For the right price, of course!

mec
March 9, 2008, 11:43 AM
we have a Dragoon by ASM by way of Dixie Gun Works a few years ago. On the positive side, it is very nicely finished with apparently true color case hardening on the frame. Negatives included an undersized locking bolt that had to be replaced with Uberti part and the chambers which varied in size no two being exactly the same. For accurate shooting, it was necessary to ream the chambers out to uniform size.

Im283
March 9, 2008, 12:29 PM
My 1851 Navy is a ASM. It is about 25 years old. The fit and finish on it was fine. The grips fit better than any piece I own. I cannot estimate how many rounds have ever been through it. Maybe 600???

The cam on the hammer that lowers the cylinder bolt wore down. Worked fine one day, the next time I went to use it it would not move, the gun was locked up like a drum. That is the only trouble the gun has ever had.

I was found by one heck of a guy here who fixed it and now it is a shooter again.

Im283
March 9, 2008, 12:31 PM
double tap

sundance44s
March 9, 2008, 12:32 PM
Extra soft is the word to describe the ASM Remington I have , Fit and Finish better than my early Pietta .
My ASM is a good shooter , just took a little extra work on my part with the internals .I replaced everything with Uberti parts except the hammer .

DrLaw
March 10, 2008, 09:26 PM
Armi San Marco (ASM) revolvers have, from time-to-time, had a checkered reputation. Nevertheless, just shoot it and see what happens.

My ASM Navy .36 was so checkered that it had to apply for a cabbie's license. :neener:

When the mainspring finally broke, I could not find a replacement, so I tried to have my gunsmith work up a new one. In the end, with everything else that had to be done to it, I just let him have it, no trade, no money exchanged, and I was happier for it. :D

Quality is a word I would not believe could be used to describe Armi San Marco.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

gopguy
March 11, 2008, 03:19 PM
I had a ASM Second Model Dragoon, the internals were soft and it went out of time. A buddy wanted it for a mantle place decoration so I gladly sold it to him.

If you enjoyed reading about "Army San Marco quality?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!