.45 Colt bullets

PDA

dwave
March 8, 2008, 10:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone here use or used plated bullets in a .45 Colt, or jacketed bullets. I just got an EAA Bounty Hunter and will be ordering my dies for the .45 colt soon. I just wanted a few opinions to get on either of these bullet types. I will probably be shooting either 200 or 250 gr. bullets.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 Colt bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zxcvbob
March 8, 2008, 10:27 PM
I tried Berry's plated bullets, and I didn't like them in .45 Colt. I have a handful of 300 grain Speer jacketed bullets that I haven't tried yet, but other than that I shoot exclusively cast bullets in the big .45 now.

dtalley
March 9, 2008, 12:12 AM
I have shot 250 grain Jacketed Hollow Points through my Ruger Blackhawk in 45colt with good results. I use them for a hunting bullet.

evan price
March 9, 2008, 01:12 AM
Tried JSP's once and they were fine in a neighbor's .45 Colt. Still have the brass. IIRC they were .452 diameter same as ACP.

stormspotter
March 9, 2008, 01:50 AM
Dwave, I have a few Sierra 240 gr. JHP (around 75) that I will send you for postage only. I bought some to try in my New Vaquero, but now only plan to shoot lead SWC's. I like the RCBS 270 gr. SAA SWC's over 8.0 gr. Unique.

Give me a PM, with your address, and I will check on postage the first of the week and then give you a return PM.

Leonard

moosehunt
March 9, 2008, 01:56 AM
My experience says that they are only more expensive (the copper plated stuff). Lots of guys will have their own opinions, but for a plain old shooting load, just for practice and fun, etc., I have found 230 gr rnd nose to basically shoot best, at something between 875 and 1000 fps. Of course you'll have to find your own best. I find the old colt fun to shoot, provided you don't crank it up too much. But you can crank it up if you are a masochist. Indeed, I intend to slay my next nyati with a .45LC, but it will be rank and spitting fire--not 230 rnd either!

rcmodel
March 9, 2008, 01:39 PM
250 grain Keith style LSWC over 8.5 Unique for me.

With the EAA Bounty Hunter, you won't be able to run the hotter hunting loads anyway, so JHP is probably not worth the cost.

rcmodel

dwave
March 9, 2008, 10:04 PM
I was just getting a feel for what bullets I will run in it. I am going to get a mold for it eventually and just cast my own. I like the platted bullets too, just to help keep away the possibility leading, but past that I have no reason to use them. The jacketed bullets I wasn't planning on using a lot, but I wanted an opinion on them. Thanks all!

Stormspotter, PM sent!

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 Colt bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!