Cheapest AR-15

PDA

Savage Shooter
March 9, 2008, 12:32 AM
Whats the cheapest ar-15 .223 intersted in getting one thought i'd start pricing them. can be any make

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheapest AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sagetown
March 9, 2008, 12:53 AM
Hey savage Shooter: The way prices are changing it's hard to tell, but here is an old count I'd gotten on them. Olympic $750 ~ DPMS $825 ~ Rock River $850 ~ Stag Model 1 $850 ~ Bushmaster $900 ~ S&W $900 ~ Armalite $950. Five more brands I found ranged from $1100 up to $1400. :)

Sagetown

fletcher
March 9, 2008, 01:09 AM
I got a DPMS through Del-Ton for $650ish new.

Hoppy590
March 9, 2008, 03:10 AM
bargain bin CMMG. 570$
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=1015696&cat=33&

Hiaboo
March 9, 2008, 04:06 AM
I second what Hoppy said. Nothing but raves.

yosarian
March 9, 2008, 12:20 PM
Big +1 for the cmmg deal.

ckay
March 9, 2008, 12:24 PM
If you thought you'd start pricing them, did you mean have us price them out for you?

W.E.G.
March 9, 2008, 12:41 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/AR-15/AR-Comparison-Chart.jpg

Savage Shooter
March 9, 2008, 05:25 PM
ckay yes since I know very little about them and knowone I know has one so thought I'd ask you guys to get a good idea at the price range Id be getting into.

Savage Shooter
March 9, 2008, 05:29 PM
fletcher whats Del-ton

JWarren
March 9, 2008, 05:32 PM
Del-ton sells, parts, kits, and full rifles. Great people.

http://www.del-ton.com/

-- John

Savage Shooter
March 9, 2008, 05:52 PM
looked at there website and found this sweet looking DPMS 16" Lo-Pro Classic Bull Barreled Panther Rifle it looks good has anyone bought a gun from them or have any experience with this gun?

JWarren
March 9, 2008, 05:53 PM
I've bought from them. No complaints.

And they are familar with the fact that THR is watching them and talking.

-- John

ckay
March 9, 2008, 07:36 PM
Don't buy DPMS.

How much do you want to spend?

What are you using this rifle as?

Carbine/mid/rifle length?

For the most part, a Rock River, or Stag is a nice entry level rifle. I wouldn't go any cheaper...ie. Oly, DPMS, etc.

akolleth
March 9, 2008, 07:42 PM
If you are diligent and watch the various boards equipment exchanges (especially Ar15.com) then you can piece one together very cheap. I have an A1 build that I have $450 in all together.

But it takes patience and a watchful eye to get the good deals over there. It took me over one year to get it all together for that price.

JWarren
March 9, 2008, 08:14 PM
Don't buy DPMS.

For the most part, a Rock River, or Stag is a nice entry level rifle. I wouldn't go any cheaper...ie. Oly, DPMS, etc.

What is exactly wrong with DPMS these days? From what I've read, they had a few issues several years ago, but have been great since. I'd love to hear if you have anything to share.

I know a lot of happy LR-308 owners out there (me included).

-- John

Bailey Guns
March 9, 2008, 08:50 PM
I've been shooting DPMS rifles of all types since the early 90s. Never an issue with any of them.

NC-Mike
March 9, 2008, 08:53 PM
Since when is Rock River or Stag Arms "entry level" rifles???

Anyways, the cheapest AR might be the Olympic Plinker Plus. These are all forged receiver rifles.

Check out the Olympic forum. The folks that have them seem to like them. People who don't have them, say they are junk... You know the drill.

I used to have one of the older cast Plinkers I bought for 500. It looked unfired when I bought it. It was probably one of the most accurate AR's I ever shot and never coughed once. I put about 1000 rounds through it and sold it. I never warmed up to the idea of the cast receiver but it was a good rifle.

Would I recommend a Olympic Plinker? No. I don't own one so I can't speak with knowledge but I believe they are the least expensive AR style rifle you could buy that's new in the box.

Bailey Guns
March 9, 2008, 08:53 PM
Personally, for the guy that just wants an AR style rifle for a little shooting fun, what's wrong with the Oly Plinker Plus for $600 new with hard case, 30 round mag that includes a MagPul follower and a sling? Show me a better deal for recreational rifle with lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.

Savage Shooter
March 9, 2008, 09:28 PM
ckay my price range is pretty low as I only get partime jobs in the summer its

about 750-800 max

Would be used for coyote hunting/target use

wanting a shorter barrel preferably 16'' as thats the shortest lenght illinois will allow for a rifle.

I've never came across anything bad about dpms though they looked pretty well built

wanting a .223 maybe a .243:rolleyes: to handel the wind better most likly the .223 due to ammo prices.

rc109a
March 9, 2008, 09:43 PM
If you want a cheap AR take hoppy590 advice. Those AR's are a steal. If you want a GREAT AR for the bucks check them out. If those are not what your looking for then let us know. They are well bellow your price range and will allow a good piece of glass to go on top to be at 800.

wcwhitey
March 9, 2008, 10:00 PM
I would be willing to put a good amount of money on my DPMS Low Pro Classic against any other $600 AR for accuracy and reliability. The gun is front heavy due to the .970 barrel. That is the only thing I can say bad about it. With a $45 Hogue free float kit (grip and handguard) the gun is a tack driver, has never, I repeat, NEVER, failed to function in over 3000 rounds. If you like the DPMS and it fits your budget, buy it and if it has a problem send it back.

SIRVEYR666
March 9, 2008, 10:21 PM
I just built a flat-top A2 on a Vulcan forged lower with a 20" upper for $503. That included tax, shipping and transfer fee. My buddy put about 200 rounds through it last weekend, and it shoots like an EBR costing twice as much. PM me if you want all of the info. I'll see if I can find it. It is a great deal if you're not afraid of a ziplock bag full of springs and pins that look nearly identical and may or may not function properly in the holes that you placed them.:rolleyes:

ckay
March 9, 2008, 11:02 PM
DPMS will go bang and do so reliably. When you start pushing them harder is when malfunctions will occur. One gripe people voice is the chambering, which is marked 5.56 won't fit a 5.56.

wcwhitey? Over what period of time did you shoot those 3000 rounds? That's the difference. I'll burn 1,500rds at a course and see BCGs come out of DPMS guns with cracked pin holes.

Savage...a firearm is a tool. Would you buy a ratchet set from Northern or would you spend a few more bucks and go with Snap-On? Sure, for the person who turns a few nuts and bolts a year, a Northern set may last a few years before the ratchet action works itself loose but for somebody who wants to rely on their ratchets...well, the choice is obvious.

John, I've heard many happy LR-308 owners too as well as .223 platform owners. Guess it all boils down to how hard you push these rifles...and in most cases, they are safe queens.

JWarren
March 9, 2008, 11:10 PM
ckay,

thanks for answering. As time permits, I'll see how that goes. As mentioned, I have a LR-308, but I also have a DPMS kit coming in to build on a DPMS lower.

-- John

Savage Shooter
March 10, 2008, 12:25 AM
ckay
I don't shoot more than 20 twenty rounds at a time if i had money to burn sure I'd burn a ton at a timebut as I said earlier it would be for mainly coyote hunting with some target practice if ammo prices warent it. I'd about die if i shot 1500rds at a time my ammo bill id be through the roof:eek:

Savage Shooter
March 10, 2008, 08:28 PM
How good would the accuracy of a DPMS 16" Lo-Pro Classic Bull Barreled Panther Rifle be at 200 yards. Thinking of putting a leopold 4-12x44 on it for some quality glass.

sarduy
March 11, 2008, 01:42 AM
take a look at this

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GRFA2-L16

or this one

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GRFA1-L20

if you really want to go cheap

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GRFLP-WCP

Organdonor
March 11, 2008, 12:03 PM
I think your best bet for cheap is to either get something at a gun show, or to pick up a CMMG bargain bin AR.

You aren't going to find a better bargain than the CMMG, though. I know a lot of serious AR owners who pick up one or two them for the collections, and have no grips about them.

I picked up my Bushmaster at a gun show for $825 brand new. You can easily pay too much at a show, though... so make sure you know as much as you can before going to one to buy.

AR15.com is where you need to be... there are a ton of newbie threads over there that will give you more information than you'll ever need!

3pairs12
March 11, 2008, 12:05 PM
savage check out legal tranfers. They say they have Rock River for the cheapest prices. You have to call for price though. My friend said he got his for 600 ish.

bogie
March 11, 2008, 12:30 PM
DPMS stands by their stuff... They were there last year, and they'll be there next year.

If you're looking to go completely cheap, gitcherself a receiver and start hunting parts. Keep an eye on the classifieds here - folks pull stuff off, and put it up... I'm going to be unloading some trigger parts sometime soon (not now, so don't PM me, okay?) when I upgrade one...

Savage Shooter
March 11, 2008, 10:17 PM
Again anybody know the accuracy of DPMS 16" Lo-Pro Classic Bull Barreled Panther Rifle. Pics would be great!

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheapest AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!