? Question to those people who have attended a carbine class?

PDA

Texas Bob
March 9, 2008, 10:15 AM
I know the preferred platform in every carbine class is the AR. My question is, how many people have seen a shooter show up with an AK platform. Also, how did the equipment hold up during class, and how did the shooter do against other students? Just curious...

If you enjoyed reading about "? Question to those people who have attended a carbine class?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MMcfpd
March 9, 2008, 10:21 AM
Somewhere out there on the Internet is a guy named Pat Rogers who can probably give you a definitive answer.

I'll have an inkling in a few weeks when my next door neighbor gets back from the carbine class he's going to attend with his AK. He's expecting to be the red-headed stepcchild of the class.

hso
March 9, 2008, 11:09 AM
My wife and I took Paul Gomez's AK course and every gun in the course, from the cheapest CAI Romaks to the most expensive Arsenals all ran without a failure.

ckay
March 9, 2008, 12:25 PM
Bring an extra BCG at the very least.

taliv
March 9, 2008, 02:42 PM
hso, wasn't there a problematic AK on the line in the carbine class we took?

jpwilly
March 9, 2008, 03:22 PM
AK's can suffer just the same issues as any autoloader, bad mags etc overall the clearances in the AK are looser making them less prone to jam when dirty. Doesn't mean they cannot jam or don't. It's usually less of an issue to get them back into action when they do. Had a guy with an AK at carbine school and he surprised many of the AR only guys. They had a new found respect of the rifle in capable hands at the end of the class. This was over four years ago.

briansmithwins
March 9, 2008, 10:12 PM
We had an AK shooter at a rifle class I took last November. His rifle performed perfectly and he was able to keep up without any problem.

Optics helps you get hits faster, regardless of the platform.

We had 3 rifles fail in our class: a S&W M&P broke it's disconnecter, a unknown make rifle had a popped primer lodged in the chamber (that rifle was recovered), and a M1A went down with a broken extractor.

BSW

Bailey Guns
March 9, 2008, 11:23 PM
When I took the Urban Rifle Instructor course several years ago the trigger pin broke on my Colt and jammed up the works but good. My back-up gun was an early import Mitchell Yugo AK. I finished the last day of the class, including the qualification shoot at 100% with the Yugo. Harder to manipulate...mag changes, charging, etc...but worked just fine with a little effort. Because that gun is fairly heavy for an AK, I'm glad I didn't have to shoot it the entire course! The light weight Colt Gov't Carbine was a lot easier to hold up for extended periods than that Yugo AK. Mags are a lot heavier, too.

If you enjoyed reading about "? Question to those people who have attended a carbine class?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!