Any 20-rd Mini-30 mags that actually WORK?

PDA

Blackwing1
March 9, 2008, 11:08 AM
Does anybody know of a source for 20-round magazines for the Ruger Mini-30 that will actually work?

I've tried the plastic "Eagle" ones, and I've tried the "US Magazine" ones, and I've tried the various no-name gun-show ones. None of them ever fed reliably, even with FMJ. Some of them wouldn't even lock into the magazine well.

The stainless steel 10-round magazines (I forget the manufacturer...found them through Natchez Shooters Supply) work fine.

I don't mind paying a reasonable price for them, but only if they actually work. I've seen a lot of postings from people who've claimed that they have to wade through a dozen cheapies to find one or two that work. I guess I'd rather pay the price for a higher-quality manufacturer's product than go through that selection process.

Thanks for any help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any 20-rd Mini-30 mags that actually WORK?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
March 9, 2008, 11:23 AM
The John Masen ones work OK, I have three. One had to be sent back, and they replaced it without a problem. http://www.johnmasen.com/ Nothing beats the factory mags. I do have to say I have several that arrived recntly I will have to try in mine, RamLine and some no-namers. Some of them work great, other not at all. If you can afford the $, the factory are the best, but expensive.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/PICT0170.jpg

wcwhitey
March 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
If you have a factory 5 round mag try switching the follower into the US mag, made a crappy mag usable. At the time the 5 rounders could be had for five bucks so I mag a few usable magazines.

rbernie
March 9, 2008, 12:27 PM
I have about a dozen 20rd ProMags, and they all work without fail. I have a half-dozen Ruger followers to swap in to them if needed, but so far they've been working fine as they came.

Blackwing1
March 9, 2008, 02:50 PM
rbernie:

I went and looked, and the 10-round nickel mags I bought from Natches were ProMag.

Thanks for the tip...I'll try some of their 20-rounders, and see if those also function well.

The Ruger factory mags have gone up radically in price, but they do work flawlessly.

Thanks again to everyone for the tips!

JNewell
March 9, 2008, 08:35 PM
PMI. Discontinued some years back but still widely available. Pretty much as good as factory IME.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any 20-rd Mini-30 mags that actually WORK?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!