Another AR Question

PDA

joebogey
March 9, 2008, 11:28 AM
Everybody is looking to buy an AR right now and I've been considering the same thing myself.
My question is, "Why in 223 and not 308?"
I hunt with 308s and I'd like to have an AR platform that's in the same caliber. Something I can hunt with and yet use against evil paper targets.
But you seldom see anyone asking about the 308. Is there something I'm missing?
I guess what I'm looking for is Pros and Cons and recommendations as to what I should look for and look at before I go out and blow 7 or 800 bucks on a rifle?
And yeah, I know about AR15.com, but this is where I hang out. So I'm looking to you guys for answers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another AR Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JWarren
March 9, 2008, 11:32 AM
God, I can't believe I'm gonna be the one to say this... but...

Get both.

I got in my LR-308 last month, and have an AR-15 coming in next week.

But I think that the reason that you don't see people talking about 308s that much is due to:

1. Ammo cost

2. Lack of "Kits"

3. Cost

4. Big and Heavy

-- John

strat81
March 9, 2008, 02:28 PM
But you seldom see anyone asking about the 308. Is there something I'm missing?
Have you seen prices of .308 lately? Even if you are reloading, .308 is expensive to shoot, especially compared to .223. Surplus .308 is pretty scarce, and expensive when you find it.

AR-10 type rifles are heavy, expensive, and don't have the amount of aftermarket support that AR-15s do.

Depending on what you are hunting, .308 may not be necessary. Many folks look to the 6.8SPC for a deer round and 6.8 uppers swap out onto 223 lowers easily.

Magnuumpwr
March 9, 2008, 02:45 PM
223 is a cheaper gun as well as being cheaper to shoot and become familiar with your rifle. As far as for hunting, if you don't care about shot placement then opt for the 308. Just don't expect to do a lot of target shooting with it unless you like burning up money.

H2O MAN
March 9, 2008, 02:46 PM
I like my 223 from ARs and 308 from M14s - this just seems natural to me.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/6920withM14-03.08.2008.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Another AR Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!