Refurbishing

PDA

Twud
March 9, 2008, 11:53 AM
I recently inherited a Remington Nylon 66 that needs some TLC. My father kept the gun in the barn for dispatching the odd coon, rat, or ground hog.
Consequently it picked up some mild surface rust and a filthy action. I would like to have the gun refurbished, but there's no one that I know of that does such work.
Can anyone one make a suggestion on a good smith for the job.
I realize it's going to cost more that the gun is worth, but I've got that whole sentimental thing going on.
I remember shooting at tin cans with it when i was around 12 years old.
Mark
mrp@netscape.com

PS- Not that it matters, but I live in Maryland, and am willing to ship the gun just about anywhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "Refurbishing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
aka108
March 9, 2008, 12:02 PM
Give it a go yourself. Dissemble it, get some brake cleaner fluid for the the trigger group, some fine steel wool and oil for getting off the surface rust, a little cold blue for touch up if necessary. Soap and water on the nylon stock and finished off with some armoral and you may be pleasantly surprised.

PotatoJudge
March 9, 2008, 12:35 PM
It'll be cheaper to replace the blued parts than to have them done.

You'd need: receiver cover assembly (the stamped sheet metal action cover), a new barrel and sights if the old ones aren't usable, and a couple of screws. Cost will be around $150 with shipping and FFL fees. This way you get a factory correct finish. Might be an option to buy one in decent shape, steal the parts you want and keep the rest as spares.

Go ahead and try to clean it up with CLP and a brass brush, you might be surprised how good it looks with the active rust removed. As for the action, just take off the cover and spray the gunk out. Anybody have a suggestion on what to spray it with? I know the gun isn't supposed to be lubricated and some degreasers would probably damage the plastic, so be careful.

rcmodel
March 9, 2008, 01:20 PM
DO NOT dissemble it any further then the receiver cover.

If you take the internal parts out of a Nylon 66, you will need Mr. Remington himself to put it back together.

rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "Refurbishing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!