colt .38 police special - questions

PDA

KeithO
March 9, 2008, 05:07 PM
hello friends.....looking for your assistance....just purchased a .38 police special colt with the following specifics:serial # 895422 stamped on cylinder and frame - not certain but think the frame serial # has a "6" stamped just below the last "2"; left side of barrell has "OFFICIAL POLICE .38 SPECIAL CTG" - right side has "COLT'S P.T.F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CONN.U.S.A.";inside trigger has 4 groves that go lenghtwise ~3/4 of way up trigger; barrel length is 4" (maybe closer to 3 3/4"); checkered handle with thumb rest on left side - no frame metal showing at bottom and inside; colt metal logo topside both sides of handle; six shot revolver with star ejector.....well worn but excellent mechanical condition - would almost call it smooth..."cocking clicks" are confident/solid....guessing holster use has worn away the blue where it rubbed....handle is well worn around the butt - a few faint checkers remain...handle base is 2" in length ~ 1 1/4" wide in the middle...inside barrel and cylinder clean as a whistle....very confortable feel for my size hand....paid $300? because i couldn't get the darn thing out of my mind once i picked it up + the guy i bought it from would not budge - guess he saw it in my eyes???.....questions for you guys and gals that are in the know:
1. approximate age
2. can the gun shoot anything other than .38
3. any reason to suspect that it won't hold up for the long term - firing a couple of 50 bullet boxes per year
4. target accuracy reputation?
thanks in advance for your assistance...keitho

If you enjoyed reading about "colt .38 police special - questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
March 9, 2008, 05:12 PM
The Official Police (OP) is a very sturdy revolver and will absorb many thousands of rounds. The early Colts are a little more prone to timing problems but I have several Colts from the 1930s and 1940s that have fired countless rounds with no ill effect. Only .38 Special ammo may be fired in a gun marked .38 Special.

The OP was meant as a duty weapon and is not a target revolver. The accuracy is sufficient for its intended purpose.

The OP is seen in 4, 5 and 6" barrels and the frame is the same size and the lockwork is the same as the more deluxe Python model. Stocks will interchange on these models.

I would guess your gun was made in 1964. What you paid is about right.

I bet it looks something like this? (Although I bet yours doesn't feature such snazzy custom stocks as the ones a previous owner made up for this gun.)

http://www.fototime.com/A57E03BC42BB8AE/standard.jpg

bannockburn
March 9, 2008, 05:28 PM
KeithO

Your Official Police was made in 1964, with production ending in 1969 as the MK.III series was introduced. A fine revolver, I missed out on one a couple of months ago. I saw it at a LGS on Monday, but didn't have any cash or CC to put it on hold. Went back a couple of days later, and it was gone. It was in very nice shape and they were asking around $325 for it.

The Lone Haranguer
March 9, 2008, 05:33 PM
It sounds like you have a Colt Official Police, .38 Special cartridge.

1. approximate age
2. can the gun shoot anything other than .38
3. any reason to suspect that it won't hold up for the long term - firing a couple of 50 bullet boxes per year
4. target accuracy reputation?

1. I looked the serial number up at http://proofhouse.com/colt and came up with 1964.

2. Just .38 Special. .38 Long Colt would also fit in the chambers, but this hardly seems worth the bother.

3. If it is in good shape internally (not out of time, etc.), considerably more than that, even with limited +P.

4. It does not have the accuracy reputation of the Officer's Model Match or Python (both of which are based on the OP's frame and action), but should be plenty accurate.

... checkered handle with thumb rest on left side - no frame metal showing at bottom and inside ...
These don't sound like factory grips.

keyboard commando
March 9, 2008, 06:03 PM
The Official Police has been one of my favorites for many years.They are a pure joy to shoot.:D
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q274/pistola_photo/COLT009.jpg
:scrutiny:

KeithO
March 9, 2008, 09:23 PM
thanks to saxonpig; bannockburn; the lone haranquer and keyboard commando....you guys are all over it.....no "snazzy cutom stocks" (i wish) but everything else is right on....i'm amazed at what you guys know....much appreciated.....later

If you enjoyed reading about "colt .38 police special - questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!