M14 Match Rifles

PDA

ETCss Phil McCrackin
March 9, 2008, 06:37 PM
After a fruitful practice shoot this weekend, 187-4X offhand and a couple of quality 2+1 standing to sitting drills, I figured I'd post a couple of pics of the rifle in question.
This is "my" rifle,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ET1ss_McCrackin/000_0618.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ET1ss_McCrackin/000_0617.jpg

And here are some of it's armory roommates I checked out for a couple of my teammates.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ET1ss_McCrackin/000_0619.jpg

Enjoy,
I sure did.

If you enjoyed reading about "M14 Match Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dobe
March 9, 2008, 06:56 PM
Nice group of M14's.

Who made the selector switch?

H2O MAN
March 9, 2008, 07:00 PM
Nice M14s !!

Thank you for the pictures :cool:

TexasRifleman
March 9, 2008, 07:03 PM
Really nice, thanks for posting those pictures. Wow

Coronach
March 9, 2008, 07:07 PM
Niiiiiiiiice.

ETCss Phil McCrackin
March 9, 2008, 07:27 PM
Who made the selector switch?

The fine armorers at NSWC Crane Indiana.

They are Navy weapons, available to members of Navy & Marine Corps Shooting teams.

P-32
March 9, 2008, 07:38 PM
I shot a couple that looked just like some of those back in the day when I shot with the Navy at China Lake. Is that Firm Grip I see on the stocks?

My Favorite was the fat stocked wood gun.

ETCss Phil McCrackin
March 10, 2008, 12:47 AM
Is that Firm Grip I see on the stocks

Why, yes it is. And I also liked the fat wood on "my" rifle. She's a Winchester by the way. The trigger has easy weight with a distinct 2nd stage which breaks very cleanly. If I could stop trying to snatch x's, then I would be good to go.

P-32
March 10, 2008, 10:47 AM
The fat wood M-14 I had was a Springer. I almost cried when I had to turn it in as the barrel had gone to 7 on the guage. I took home a new 14 with a black McMillon fiberglass stock. It really shot well so I didn't cry too long.

After I left China Lake, I went to a sea going squardon and didn't have time to shoot matches. I had a piece of paper which said I could check out any weapon out of the base armory but the only gear I had left was my coat and stool. Plus the base did not have any match ammo and reloading was a big no. I did manage to fire one match and it turned out to be my personnel best. The Lt. that set me up never gave an invite again because I did better than he did.

Then I retired. I was busy raising a family and working weekends. 10 years later I came into some $ and had a correct post war Springer sent in (still kicking my self, if only I had known) for building into a match 308 with a fat stock. It took 16 months to build it. One of these days I'll post a photo of it.
Now I'm shooting AR's and a wood gun once in awhile. It took me awhile to learn to shoot again but I finally beat my 764 with a AR.

If you enjoyed reading about "M14 Match Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!