High Velocity Rifle Targets

PDA

muledalton
March 9, 2008, 10:03 PM
I hope I'm puttin this question in the correct forum. I'm a handy metal worker and I am thinking about building 3 targets (100 yds., 150 yds., and 200 yds.) for my new Marling 30-30. I have some land that I can permantly put these on out in the country but I am looking for some advice on what people like for there targets. Our local rifle range have "gongs" hanging down that just swing when hit. I'm thinking about making some like these but would entertain other ideas from some more experienced shooters. I'm also not sure about how thick the metal needs to be for a 30-30 round. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Darrin

If you enjoyed reading about "High Velocity Rifle Targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trstafford
March 9, 2008, 10:15 PM
Many years ago when I was in elementary school 7-8 grade one of my classmates was almost killed by a ricocheting bullet when someone shot at the railroad track with his 30-30. I am not a fan of shooting steel targets for that reason. If you can put up a dirt berm at the 200 yard range it should also work for any range in between. Just my opinion.

cuervo
March 9, 2008, 10:37 PM
I think the "swinging" type of gongs are best because, as the above post mentions, ricochets can be an issue at closer ranges. If you have the hanging target, you still get the sound but the bullet is deflected into the berm.

One of the ranges I go to does have other steel targets, but they are at longer distances (300-400 yards). These include a man-hole cover hanging by a chain and old truck wheels.

R.W.Dale
March 9, 2008, 10:43 PM
I've made a few portable swinger targets from mild A588 or A572 0.5" steel. I've found that impact velocities much over 2000 fps will crater the target pretty badly if not fully penetrate it. But for a 30-30 at the ranges you mention a well made target should hold up well.

taliv
March 9, 2008, 11:03 PM
use search, keyword ar500

Art Eatman
March 9, 2008, 11:17 PM
Weld the targets such that they slope a bit away from the shooter and downward. That way, the ricochets will hit the ground below the targets and not bounce back toward the firing line. Maybe ten degrees...

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "High Velocity Rifle Targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!