.308 Muzzle Brakes

PDA

The Wiry Irishman
March 9, 2008, 11:21 PM
I'm looking around at muzzle brakes to cut down the recoil and flip on my 16" FAL, and want more to go on than how pretty they look. In your experience, what breaks have yielded the best results?

I guess my only stipulation on what I'm looking for is length, as I don't want to keep the gun short. How short I'm not sure - I'd like something about two inches tops, but I don't know how the length of the break would impact its effectiveness. I guess with that in mind, recommendations of any kind would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 Muzzle Brakes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JWarren
March 9, 2008, 11:46 PM
Take a look at the JP Recoil Eliminator. I've read good things about it, and am looking at it myself.

I heard that it makes it LOUD though.

-- John

The Wiry Irishman
March 9, 2008, 11:59 PM
I heard that it makes it LOUD though.

That's something else I forgot to mention in my post. I'm not concerned with noise. I don't hunt or do anything with a spotter, and most of the times I can go to the range there aren't many people there. If someone is and doesn't like the noise, a little common courtesy can fix that just fine.

kingjoey
March 10, 2008, 03:59 AM
We make a version of our KA-1230 brake/suppressor for the FAL, the brake is effective and helps reduce the flash as well. I try to avoid tube brakes whenever possible, they work extremely well, but the concussion off of them is pretty punishing no matter how good your earmuffs are (they'll even make your teeth and hair hurt if you shoot awhile :( ) A compact brake will provide more than enough recoil reduction for something like an FAL. If you plan on shooting a 338 WM out of a 7lb gun, then the overkill of something like the "tank brake" is justified :p

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 Muzzle Brakes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!