Recommend a case for AR-15

PDA

SATX man
March 9, 2008, 11:49 PM
HI everyone I been looking for a guncase for a while, I been wanting to get a I-Shot case everyone is sold out are there any other cases anyone can recommend? It can be either soft of hard cases.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommend a case for AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.E.G.
March 9, 2008, 11:50 PM
Uncle Mikes' black cordura case is very good.

Blackhawk is more expensive and better yet.

ckay
March 10, 2008, 12:00 AM
I have a Storm 3200. Nice case, very sturdy...just not worth the money IMO. If I could do it again, I'd just buy this and save $100 in the process.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE201-41691-859.html

birdbustr
March 10, 2008, 12:03 AM
Here's the one I just got. It's the only one I could find for my high scope mount (so I can still see my open sights). It's great so far.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=408034

Darthbauer
March 10, 2008, 12:10 AM
Pelican 1700-1750

electronrider
March 10, 2008, 09:18 AM
Ditto on the pelican. Why would you not spend money on a top of the line case, for a firearm worthy of such attention?

aka108
March 10, 2008, 09:28 AM
Lowest price padded full length zippered with wrp around nylon hand straps you can find. Think Natchez has some that are very utilitarian for about 11 bucks. Not a option if you plan to travel by air and take the piece with you. Then it needs to be a lockable hard case that is airline certified.

HorseSoldier
March 10, 2008, 10:09 AM
Tactical Tailor makes some nice soft-sided rifle bags. Not sure how their prices compare to the other options out there these days, but the one I bought from them for my M4 has help up really well for several years of use.

Bartholomew Roberts
March 10, 2008, 11:13 AM
I actually did a comparison of several soft cases somewhere here (Firearms Accessories I think) and went with the i-Shot; but the Tactical Tailor was a close runner up and good value. The TAG product was also nice. The Blackhawk looks cool but has limited utility compared to the others and like most Blackhawk products has a giant BLACKHAWK! label sewn on to the outside, so if you are looking for a discrete case, it may need some more work.

taliv
March 10, 2008, 11:23 AM
blackhawk's quality never really impressed me. and as long as their marketing reminds me of extreme shock ammo, I can't imagine ever owning anything with their name on it. frankly, i'd wear pastels before blackhawk.

but i am in the market for a good hardcase. ckay is the 2nd "storm is not worth the money" i've heard this month. (the other was closer to "not worth the money unless you're jumping out of airplanes with it")

i'd love to hear any other storm vs pelican insights. also, comments on cut foam would be appreciated.

ckay
March 10, 2008, 11:32 AM
taliv, I have a Pelican 1700 for another carbine. The Storm is made better IMO and a bit cheaper. If you were really set on spending up to $200 on a case, I'd get a Storm before going with a Pelican.

My only issue with these cases is what you have stated. I'm not jumping out of airplanes with it.

Cool cases, and once you cut the foam it offers a cool presentation for the rifle but the added weight isn't cool.

The case will take a good beating though, that's for sure.

JWarren
March 10, 2008, 11:40 AM
I have a Pelican 1750 for my LR-308. While I am VERY impressed with the case, it weights a ton.

-- John

H2O MAN
March 10, 2008, 11:49 AM
I have my MK14 SEI Mod 0 is in a Pelican 1700 ... I think my LE 6920 will end up in one of the same.

JWarren
March 10, 2008, 03:39 PM
I agree with the sentiment that you probably don't need something like a Pelican or Storm for general use.

I got Pelican 1750 for a good deal-- $175 so I grabbed one. I chose this one because my use for it was to be strapped to the back-rack of a 4-Wheeler during hunting season and driving through swampy trails.

It may not be jumping out of airplanes, but that is certainly up there on the need for sercure transport.

-- John

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommend a case for AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!