I'ld Like to say "thank you" to non-reloaders

PDA

donttellthewife
March 10, 2008, 12:21 PM
As a range rat and reloader I can't for the life of my understand why people leave their brass at the range, but thank God they do. This weeks "take" getting sorted by caliber and headstamp

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b308/RonsList/weekofbrass.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "I'ld Like to say "thank you" to non-reloaders" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
K3
March 10, 2008, 12:27 PM
There's no cure for the disease. :D

Edit:

I'd pick up brass at my range, but most of it is really nasty.

leadcounsel
March 10, 2008, 12:30 PM
Just curious, but how much TIME does that take?

RLsnow
March 10, 2008, 12:31 PM
not enough? XD

GaryL
March 10, 2008, 12:33 PM
Too damn many brass buzzards or reloaders at my range. There's never much to collect.

That would be 2 years worth of collecting for me.

Ed_E
March 10, 2008, 12:46 PM
The range where I shoot (and worked for a while part-time) sells the collected brass and it is part of their income that is factored into their profit and loss statement. My unshot rounds are marked so I know which are mine to pick up after I finish shooting. Anyone taking my brass is putting their life in danger.:)

donttellthewife
March 10, 2008, 01:11 PM
leadcounsel,
Took about an hour and a half while setting in front of the TV watching the history or military channel. But it allows me to pull any unwanted or damaged brass out.

I should mention I have a couple people who also pick them up for me ( 6 so far at three different ranges) being nice and letting others shoot your guns goes a long way, not to mention giving away some reloads from time to time.

All the handgun brass I picked up, all the rifle brass was from a nieghbor, from a different range. The nieghbor does not have a computer, so I hunt for the things he's looking for ( match bullets and benchrest primers, when I did my mini group buy from Powder Valley he was quite happy )

If I don't reload them I do my best to see that they find a home where they will be reloaded. However the last time I sold any brass I could turn in the 40 S+W for srcap for more than I could sell it for, for reloading.

Cosmoline
March 10, 2008, 01:14 PM
So you're the guy with the shopping cart mumbling to himself and running around out there during ceasefires ;-)

I suspect there will be more and more of us as the price of loaded ammo and basic metals goes up and up.

Shoney
March 10, 2008, 01:19 PM
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!:what: No empty cartridge boxes???????:uhoh:
My heart cries out in agony.:(

zxcvbob
March 10, 2008, 01:27 PM
Someone left 101 mixed .38 Special cases in the bucket at the indoor range a couple of weeks ago. (there's never any revolver brass in there, I was just looking to pick a few 9mm's from among all the .22 shells) As I was picking it out, a guy saw me and said he had a bucket of mixed .38 and .357 brass in his garage that he didn't want. :woohoo: I told him I'd be happy to pay at least scrap price for it, but he said no.

He brought it to me last week; about 350 each of .38's and .357's, about half is Winchester brass. He wouldn't take any money for it, but he said he'd like to watch me reload sometime so he can learn how. Meanwhile I think I might buy him a copy of Lyman's reloading manual...

wcwhitey
March 10, 2008, 01:43 PM
You know it is a sickness when you pick up rifle brass that doesn't need to be trimmed and you want to stalk the guy who shot it. Being very grateful of his wasteful habits and saving you some work.

John4me05
March 10, 2008, 01:51 PM
Im in a habit of making bi-monthly trips to pick up and semi-anual trips to rake up all the 22 brass... That stuff adds up fast... Financed my last gun purchase with 22 scrap

zxcvbob
March 10, 2008, 01:55 PM
I let the range have the .22 brass. They sell it for scrap.

And I've been known to leave .45ACP brass on the ground so the next scrounger will have something (I don't shoot a .45ACP, although I do have almost a gallon of brass for it)

Walkalong
March 10, 2008, 02:04 PM
Ain't it great. I only pick up what I load. I leave the rest in hopes someone who loads it will find it.

Vicious-Peanut
March 10, 2008, 02:09 PM
Do y'all pick it up on public ranges? I would probably get a lot of funny looks If I picked up all the .223 I could find. although I want to.. seeing as I have like 26 pieces..

Mal H
March 10, 2008, 02:12 PM
Sorry in advance, donttellthewife, but that picture lends a whole new definition to OCD! :)

eflatminor
March 10, 2008, 02:18 PM
I always seem to pick up more than I shoot, WAY more. I'm looking at two five gallon buckets full of .45 and another two full of .40. On top of that, I've got about 3000 rounds of each loaded up and ready to go. All of that brass was picked up at the three ranges around me where I shoot IPSC and IDPA. I just LOVE the guys that shoot new Winchester .45s and leave the brass behind. Every once in a while, I find a pile of 500 rounds or so - cha ching!!

Threecard
March 10, 2008, 03:11 PM
You're welcome.

1911NM
March 10, 2008, 03:41 PM
Wayyyyy to many range buzzards here. Last time I tried to pick up a piece of stray 45acp brass, I swear, 3 people growled at me. I honestly think the guys who shoot near me count their brass and won't leave the range till the count matches what they shot.

leadcounsel
March 10, 2008, 03:46 PM
Well the range I shoot at has plenty of free fresh brass. The range doesn't keep it (as far as I know) and I never see people taking theirs home. They just sweep it up and put it in buckets. I collected several buckets of random handgun and rifle brass over the summer... but moving with the Army is a pain in the A$$ so I just recently gave it away for free.

I would love to get into reloading, but honestly with so little free time as it is that would be impossible.

wally
March 10, 2008, 05:24 PM
I honestly think the guys who shoot near me count their brass and won't leave the range till the count matches what they shot.

Not too far off, when I bend down to pick up mine, I grab everything in reach. I then sort it into empty boxes since its already in my hands, so I can cull the WinNT, 45GAP, AMERC and other crap that gets left behind.

I then compare my find to the number shot so I know when I've passed the point of diminishing returns and stop looking. 10mm is the worst, I'm doing good to find half of it :(

I love it when I come back with more than I shot, not too common with .45 but near impossible not to with 9mm.

I long for the good old days when Wolf steel cased .45 was $120/1000. Was nice to not have to reload and scrounge brass.

--wally.

redneck2
March 10, 2008, 05:36 PM
I have a Delta Elite that I'm probably going to sell. Kicks the brass maybe 15-20 feet. Breaks my heart to lose brand new once fired Starline. I'd rather sell the gun than lose the brass. Worst thing is, I bought the brass a few years back for practically nothing.

ArchAngelCD
March 10, 2008, 06:02 PM
I was getting a fair amount of Brass from my local outdoor range up until about 6 months ago. I was told some very old lady comes out there every morning and picks up every piece of Brass she sees. What's worse is, she is turning it to the scrap yard so it's not even being used for reloading!!! :mad:

Funderb
March 10, 2008, 06:11 PM
I had a guy come up to my table once and start picking up the brass I was dropping from my mauser.
I turned to him and said,
"excuse me, what the hell are you doing?"

Please don't be one of them.

PecosRiverM
March 10, 2008, 07:26 PM
ArchAngel

How much is the scrape yard paying her?

I'd offer her .05 or so more a lb. Still a steal over paying by the round.

jfh
March 10, 2008, 07:52 PM
"...I have a Delta Elite that I'm probably going to sell. Kicks the brass maybe 15-20 feet. Breaks my heart to lose brand new once fired Starline. I'd rather sell the gun than lose the brass...."

My God, man, buy a 1911 maintenance book, or take it to a gunsmith.

OTOH, I'll take it off your hands so you don't lose any more brass shooting it.

Jim H.

Hiaboo
March 10, 2008, 08:28 PM
Every time I go to the range, I pick up EVERYTHING.. Even the 1,000 peices of .22 littering everywhere.. It's about 2 a lb for brass here.. It's been hella cold so not much to pick from.

rhubarb
March 10, 2008, 09:11 PM
My lord, what a pile of brass. That's months of pickins for me.

When I signed up at my range, they told me I was responsible for picking up my own brass. 'Cause if I didn't, somebody else would pick it up.

ilbob
March 10, 2008, 09:17 PM
Its hit or miss where I shoot. There is a board member who is almost constantly at the range and he is a major brass scrounger except for 40 and 9. All kinds of that left over.

I did find about 30 45 Schofield cases a couple weeks ago. no idea what i will do with that.

Now and then I get some good stuff.

donttellthewife
March 10, 2008, 10:12 PM
The key is to use good etiquett, I would never even take a chance of offending someone just for some brass.
I have met the other range rats and split up whatever is in the brass buckets so long as I know it's being reloaded and not scrapped just to stay on everyones good side. I have met a number of other reloaders and have traded ideas, components and did a mini group buy. My range is a private payed membership only and they don't want the brass or lead at the end of the lanes ( smelted 300lbs so far and I haven't even started casting, yet ) So far I have taught 3 people to load there own and they are always welomed to come over and use my equipment.

Shoney,

Oh yea, I forgot your the guy who question my honesty about the accuracy of the information I posted about my powder drop. Frankly, It would be better if you just went away. After reading your posts here and on the Firing Line I would rather not have any association with you.

Mal H,

Well you got the diagnosis right, now what's the cure...... wait I don't want the cure

evan price
March 11, 2008, 02:21 AM
I am a total brass rat. I go to my local ranges at least twice a week every week during shooting season, usually to shoot, and when I'm there I carry in a lidded 5-gallon bucket and don't usually leave without it at least being half full.
I also volunteered to be on the cleaning crew at members-only range I belong to, because the cleaners get dibs on the brass first. All the stuff nobody takes, plus scrap and rimfire and berdan stuff from the club range gets sold for scrap to help offset property taxes, etc. Its an honor system and nobody so far is abusing it. That's where I get my .45acp and 9mm.

Right now I pay for all of my reloading components to shoot by selling surplus brass. So far it's been a wash. Knock wood, as long as people don't all reload or the AmmoAccountability idiots don't ban reloading, I am in the game for a good long time.

As far as time goes- depending on how busy the ranges are- and Saturdays are the best days, and right before hunting season are the best for Rifle!- I can get a gallon+ of brass for an hour's work. That's usually about 20 pounds. At $2 a pound, $40/hr ain't bad.

Caimlas
March 11, 2008, 04:36 AM
I've got a 4-year-old son who likes to come to the range with me on occasion. I give him a bucket and a pair of small nylon gloves, and say, "pick up enough brass and we'll get some ice cream on the way home". :) I give him a spent cartridge for "color reference (so he doesn't pick up nickel or steel - though he sometimes does if they're shiney, and will miss the dulled old brass).

It's a small range in a low-population area, so there's not much brass out here. I have, however, managed to pick up maybe 40lb of the stuff in the last 6 months (when there's hardly anyone who shows up).

I envy you guys who have ranges with actual floors (and they don't collect brass).

I'd love to collect .22 brass, simply due to the volume it'd provide. Sometimes the son will pick it up. That stuff has great weight, and I'd save it to sell as scrap.

ArchAngelCD
March 11, 2008, 05:16 AM
ArchAngel

How much is the scrape yard paying her?

I'd offer her .05 or so more a lb. Still a steal over paying by the round.
PecosRiverM,
I've never seen her, I've only been told of her. The range is a public range on PA State land so she can come and go as she sees fit and she goes there early in the morning, very early from what I'm told. I found out about here in passing while shooting one day before the cold weather set in. I was talking to someone else who was shooting and mentioned how little Brass was around lately and he told me of her. Over the next few weeks few others told me about her too so it's probably a fact. It does make sense though because the only Brass at the range is always very clean because it was shot that day. If you go there in the morning about 10 AM there is no Brass on the ground. I'm told she gets there before 7 AM so as not to run into any shooters.

tjj
March 11, 2008, 07:14 AM
I'm not quite a range rat yet but getting close. I try to keep only the calibers I use. I know the indoor range I belong to does something with the brass they sweep up but whats on the floor while I'm there is fair game. When someone is banging away a lot of .45 or .357 I'll ask if they reuse their brass and 99 times out of a hundred they say no and I ask if I could pick them up and they say sure. I know I have picked up many more dollars worth of brass than what my membership costs me per year.

It amazes me to see, on the rifle side of the range, how people throw away really expensive casings. Big magnum brass and buckets full of .223. All I use is .308 and have picked up about four boxes of Fed brass in the last couple of months. I have more than I really need for now but I still keep an eye out for .308's. :-) Takes some of the sting out of the cost of reloading supplies anyways.

ilbob
March 11, 2008, 02:51 PM
I've got a 4-year-old son who likes to come to the range with me on occasion.I would urge you to reconsider this activity. Even very limited exposure to lead has been conclusively shown to be damaging to your child's development. he could potentially ingest lead dust simply by walking around. He almost certainly will get at least some on his clothes, and it is damn hard to get rid of, even after running it through the washer.

give him another 3 or 4 years to develop before exposing him to any more lead.

par0thead151
March 11, 2008, 03:51 PM
no lead expert here, bit if he has gloves and washes his hands before eating the kid should be ok. The lead from shooting will probably be the same as what he gets looking for brass...
now dont have him prep your brass or empty the tumbler as that has lead dust in it. not to mention casting...

callgood
March 11, 2008, 04:39 PM
Its hit or miss where I shoot. There is a board member who is almost constantly at the range and he is a major brass scrounger except for 40 and 9. All kinds of that left over.

I did find about 30 45 Schofield cases a couple weeks ago. no idea what i will do with that.

Now and then I get some good stuff.

I was reloading 9mm when it was 8-ish/c at WalMart (ok, I'm cheap). I took a pistol class last summer, 6 other guys and I was the only reloader. AHHHHHHH.

I got a lot of .40S&W brass in the buckets which I didn't shoot at the time, but saved (mention the garage to my wife). On new year's day I went to the range and the whole place was covered with brass- 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP, mostly. From the targets still up I figure some sort of agency had used the place. I spent TWO HOURS picking up brass. I filled my range bag and tied the wrists of an old windbreaker, zipped it up and filled it with brass and the boxes they left. I was so sore I had trouble getting up and down at a match the following Saturday.

Sorted the .40S&W and had around 1700 pieces. By then I had a Smith & Wesson 610, so I worked up a load and loaded 200. Get good groups, and I'll probably get a conversion barrel for my Glock20.

I NEVER throw brass in the scrap if it's good. I'll find someone who can use it. To sell it for scrap is a sacrilege IMO. I sent several hundred .380auto to a guy in Washington state for the postage. If I'd have scraped it, it probably would have wound up in China.:cuss:

ilbob
March 11, 2008, 11:06 PM
no lead expert here, bit if he has gloves and washes his hands before eating the kid should be ok. The lead from shooting will probably be the same as what he gets looking for brass...
now dont have him prep your brass or empty the tumbler as that has lead dust in it. not to mention casting...It is the brass scrounging that I would discourage. There may well be a fair amount of primer residue in the area where the brass is that he could pickup, plus there is bound to be primer residue on the old cases. It is almost impossible to keep a 4YO from touching his face with his fingers, gloves or not. Plus he is almost certain to get residue on his clothing, that does not come off very easily.

emb
March 12, 2008, 07:50 AM
Too many reloaders at my range. Rifle brass is quite common in 30.06 and .308. Pistol 9mm and 40s are too, but you need to arm wrestle the guy next to you for 45s. I'm not above stalking either, but I always ask. Quite a few times others realize I want their brass and help me. God bless them!

ny32182
March 12, 2008, 08:46 AM
The thing that scares me about picking up range brass is that for all I know, it could have already been loaded 10 times, and the guy finally decided to leave it.

I guess if I saw the right signs on the brass to make me think it was not used by a handloader, I would pick it up. Such as, military brass with the crimp marks still in place; etc. This wouldn't be a deciding factor with non-military brass though.

ilbob
March 12, 2008, 08:48 AM
The thing that scares me about picking up range brass is that for all I know, it could have already been loaded 10 times, and the guy finally decided to leave it.
so what? as long as it is safe to shoot who cares how many times it has been reloaded?

ny32182
March 12, 2008, 08:52 AM
Ah... yes, that is the point... is it safe to shoot?

callgood
March 12, 2008, 12:35 PM
Ah... yes, that is the point... is it safe to shoot?

You can tell a lot by looking at it. Anything loaded and reloaded is going to have extractor marks on the rim, scratches from hitting the ground, loose primer pocket.

Take a paper clip and straighten it out. Put a 1/8" long 90 degree bend on one end and sharpen it or put a point on it with some wire cutters. Run this up and down the inside of the case down near the head. If you can feel it catch, toss it.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'ld Like to say "thank you" to non-reloaders" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!