Ak or pistol

PDA

dmxx9900
March 10, 2008, 07:41 PM
Should I get an AK or pistol tomorrow?
I have an sks,mosin nagant,remington 870,.22 bolt action marlin,and one taurus revolver
My budget is $450
Majority wins

If you enjoyed reading about "Ak or pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
evilelvis
March 10, 2008, 07:44 PM
Wow. I am in the same dilemma.

I personally am leaning towards an AK.

Darthbauer
March 10, 2008, 07:44 PM
If you know a place to get a good deal on one, id say get something like an XD. I dont know if you can get them that cheap anymore though. If not that then Id go with the AK.

Bazooka Joe71
March 10, 2008, 07:45 PM
AK AK AK...And lots of hi-caps.

They are way more likely to be on the endangered list.

Classic Arms (http://www.classicarms.us/) has yugo underfolders for $440.

dmxx9900
March 10, 2008, 07:46 PM
thank you guys keep more coming though because I still need more replies before the deal is sealed for tomorrow

jdc1244
March 10, 2008, 07:55 PM
AK, by all means. You’ll love it. And as noted above you may not have a chance to love it at some point…

Sans Authoritas
March 10, 2008, 08:01 PM
I'm going to put my vote with the AK, too. Fun, reliable, cheap, and I still don't have mine. I want more people to have them, especially me. But you having one will make the world a better place, too.

-Sans Authoritas

sprithitler
March 10, 2008, 08:04 PM
To balance the current collection i would get a compact .40 pistol for concealed carry.
But, considering the considerable risk of a "black rifle ban" i would get some kind of assault rifle, at that kind of money it will probably need to be an AK, though i would prefer getting an HK G3 variant or an FN FNC, or possibly an AR15. Those are on another costlevel though.
If you dont know that you will be able to buy a couple of good assault rifles before the new AWB, by all means go for the AK.

Six O'clock Tactical
March 10, 2008, 08:10 PM
with respect to the possibility of a new AWB, the AK. If that sort of thing doesnt mean much to you (as it doesnt to me) you seem to be short a handgun on your list, so thats the way id go.

doc2rn
March 10, 2008, 08:10 PM
I am gonna buck the system here and say buy a Glock 19 or GP100.

.cheese.
March 10, 2008, 08:18 PM
what's going on? Is tomorrow sales tax free day on firearms or something?

(obviously not - but something is up) what did I miss?

rhubarb
March 10, 2008, 08:19 PM
Due to the 2009 AWB, I am presently wrestling with the same dilemma. Should my next gun be another pistol that I can carry every day, or should it be an Evil Assault Rifle?

My vote is for the AK. Post pics when you get it.

dmxx9900
March 10, 2008, 08:21 PM
no tomorrow is just the day I am getting a new gun for my "arsenal".
and I have a hard time deciding between an AK or a handgun.

BobbyQuickdraw
March 10, 2008, 09:10 PM
For $450 i'd say AK, but thats only because all the pistols I want are over $450!

Hokkmike
March 10, 2008, 09:21 PM
I would say AK but I won't. For $450 you're not going to get decent quality. Go for the pistol!

mattmacklind
March 10, 2008, 09:28 PM
Same dilemna here. I was hoping to get a better deal on an CETME, but the seller won't come down enough. I may still bite-but I could get a decent AK for the price or another pistol, or a few things. I say AK I guess!

Bazooka Joe71
March 10, 2008, 09:43 PM
I would say AK but I won't. For $450 you're not going to get decent quality. Go for the pistol!

You don't consider the Yugo's "quality?":confused:

Huddog
March 10, 2008, 10:56 PM
Get what you want. It appears to me that a conceal carry pistol would fit nicely into your collection but if you want an AK pick one up. I try to avoid use of the word arsenal in any event due to the Brady Bunch et. al. being so in love with the term.

Kind of Blued
March 10, 2008, 11:03 PM
Ak-47.

lanternlad1
March 10, 2008, 11:14 PM
"Should I get an AK or pistol tomorrow?"

Yes.

(get both) :)

dmxx9900
March 11, 2008, 10:20 AM
Bad news I cant spend more then $350 I checked my budget and I made a mistake on it so a AK is out of the question because the gun stores in my area sell them for $420 and up,
All I can afford is revolvers,lever action rifles,saturday night specials,bolt action rifles,cheap semi-auto rifles,and taurus semi-auto.

buck00
March 11, 2008, 10:25 AM
AK

Pros:

- fun shooters
- may be wise to get one before a possible ban or price increase
- you can never have too many AKs

Cons:

- for $450 (if FFL or shipping is involved) you may be looking at a WASR, which is junk.

PISTOL

- for $450 you could get a nice used glock. What about a Glock 21 or 23?

:scrutiny:

If you really are going to go for an AK, save up another $150 to get a nice one.

NG VI
March 11, 2008, 10:27 AM
or a good deal on a used semi. that's what I'd do, or squirrel the money away for another month and then buy something you really like. But I bought a S&W model 28-2 Highway Patrolman for $250 about a year and a half ago. You can find good stuff inexpensively sometimes. or something highly under-rated for it's reliability and durability. Like a Sigma.

dmxx9900
March 11, 2008, 10:27 AM
well I will get an AK eventually because I am getting a $500 incentive on june when I start my job as apprentice electrician helper.

alaskanativeson
March 11, 2008, 02:41 PM
Here's my thought on the handgun vs. assault weapon dilemma:

If you can only buy one, it should be a handgun. If a big gun ban gets put into place it's likely that both handguns and assault style weapns will be on it. You can get a rifle that will perform somewhat the same role as an assauilt rifle. You cannot duplicate the purpose of a handgun with anything else.

If you need a long gun for defense purposes you would be well served with an AK. If you can't get an AK you could still use a lever action Marlin 336 or a Winchester 94 with very good results. If you need a handgun for ease of carry and concealment you can't accomplish that with a rifle of any kind.

CZ makes a good quality inexpensive pistol. Used Glocks, XDs, or a nice wheelgun like a GP100 would do well for you.

dmxx9900
March 11, 2008, 03:12 PM
I looked today glocks were $500-$570,sigs $600,bersa .380s and 9mms were $250-300,all the taurus handguns were $370-$495,taurus revolvers $250-average $420,S&W the old model 36 was $350,A rossi snubnose for $220,and lorcin and phoenix arms junk for $120-$250.

I saw a nickel finish smith&wesson revolver in 38 special for $280 it stated that its a model 8 but that is a mistake its a model 10 or 12.It has a 4 inch pencil barrel and from my inspection it passed and I bought it and I will pick it up saturday.Its in good shape though and looks like a good quality revolver that will be a good car gun and house gun too.

bad news is I have to buy a whole new box of .38s because its old and cant handle +p ammo.The gun shops in my area are heavily overpriced but once in a while you find a ok deal.The gun shop I went to was gun city corp and its overpriced on most guns but has very good service and great people in it to do business with.Best in my area so far but the price gouging needs to stop but their atmosphere makes up for most of it.

I am normally a revolver guy anyway even though I am in the late 80's generation.I always wanted a smith and model 10 or similar its a great revolver I shot one at the range.

dmxx9900
March 12, 2008, 02:42 PM
As for now I have bought a old S&W model 10 nickel 38 special revolver that will do the job as a defense gun and fun target pistol.I will load it with the best non +p I see fit.Plus its my favorite type of revolver because of the classic pencil barrel and nice classic style.

I would have gotten a S&W 36 but it was $350 and over my budget and the taurus and rossi revolvers are not my first choice I always look at the classic S&W revolvers when I can and found the best choice I could find for my budget and situation.Since I dont have a steady income buying stuff really drains my money supply fast so until June I can only buy ammo and little stuff like new set of grips for my new revolver and another revolver holster.And believe me when I say florida is getting expensive I noticed it over a 3 year period the prices are sky rocketing and its getting insane to be able to afford most things especially ammo and guns themselves.

Is there such thing as a S&W model 8?
the tag said 8 and the clerk/owner said it was a model 8 but in my experiance it looks like a old model 10 with a nickel finish and old style pencil barrel from my research it can be no older than the 1960's but I will make a seperate thread on this to find out from one of you.I never heard of a model 8 in 38 special other then 10-8 could be an error.

update:Its actually a M&P nickel model 10 pre-war made in the 30's or 40's not sure when exactly made but I will show pics on saturday when I pick it up from the shop

Eyesac
March 12, 2008, 03:33 PM
I think you can get more quality for your money for $450 if you buy a handgun. $450 is not much to spend on a rifle of any kind, but you can get a great used HG for that much... Especially private party.

stevereno1
March 12, 2008, 04:09 PM
I am having the same struggle right now. I think that if I pass on the ak, that president heussien, or clinton will close my window of oppourtunity to own one.

Starship1st
March 12, 2008, 06:25 PM
Go for the AK (now) and the pistol later.:cool:

harbingerm
March 12, 2008, 06:28 PM
I'm with Bazooka Joe71. Get the AK as it's going to be (pun intended) targeted in the next AWB. All we can do is pray they don't ban them outright and make ownership of them illegal with no grandfathering. It happened in my state. All AKs (clones) in 7.62 are now banned and have been since the early 90's. You had 90 days to register them. They can no longer be brought into the state or sold or transferred. If you didn't register it, you have three options. 1) render it permanently inoperable, 2) sell it to a dealer who can sell it out of state or 3) surrender it to law enforcement. The weird thing is, if you have a Class III, select fire AKs are perfectly legal, but "johnny law" knows those are out of the reach of the masses. An SKS converted to take AK mags is still perfectly legal, too, with only ONE "evil" feature besides the detachable magazine.

I really wonder about all these guys stocking up on hi-cap magazines, AR lowers, etc. I understand why they're doing it, but this next AWB may not only ban ownership, but make them illegal to be sold/transferred in any capacity. There goes the "investment" plans. :rolleyes:

dmxx9900
March 12, 2008, 07:50 PM
Do you really think a Democratic president will ruin his chances of re election the second time by passing another AWB?
The most realistic scenario is that some states will create their own AWB instead of a National AWB.
Now I still will get an AK but I have to gather up an income starting in June then I can buy a $500 AK.

Obama or Clinton wont be stupid enough to immediately create a AWB II it will happen over time like after another major shooting and strong emotions.
I have a feeling McCain will win and he wont make an AWB he is somewhat pro-gun and will be the lesser of the two evils.

Do you know how many racists especially down south will go on a riot if Obama would win I would not be surprised if some racist bigot would assasinate obama the day he becomes president?

I have personally nothing against obama but I dont agree with his extreme views and policies same with Hilary too.
I will vote for Mccain and Huckabee because they are the most likely to win on republican side.

marshall3
March 12, 2008, 08:08 PM
Save your money for another month or two, cause you don't have enough money to buy a firearm AND ammo to feed it with.

wally
March 12, 2008, 08:20 PM
Why not an AK Pistol like this: :evil:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53066&d=1171174956

--wally.

dmxx9900
March 12, 2008, 08:31 PM
I saw an AK pistol in .223 and it was $550

guntotinguy
March 13, 2008, 03:06 AM
AK all the way!M70AB2 underfolder,you can have the best of both worlds,rifle then pistol and they usually are nicely priced!

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Ak or pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!