Couldn't stop myself (retro AR)

PDA

MMcfpd
March 10, 2008, 10:56 PM
OK, while it is an A1 stock, it's got a trapdoor. Until a few days ago I thought that was correct for a 604/Air Force model. But no, it should have a non-trapdoor stock.

But I've been waiting. And waiting. And today the dimpled safety selector arrived and I just couldn't help myself. I had to put it together:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/604_before_D_stock.jpg

Although at 6 lbs. 10 oz. it weighs more than some of my carbines, it feels really very nice. I guess the additional length of the rifle configuration helps the balance. Can't wait to shoot it.

I did locate a non-trapdoor stock, but its arrival is then and this is now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Couldn't stop myself (retro AR)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Deer Hunter
March 10, 2008, 11:00 PM
Looks good with the 20 rounder and all. Personally, I prefer the full sized rifles over the stupid "tacticool carbines" everyone has.

Bazooka Joe71
March 10, 2008, 11:02 PM
That is sweet. I think my next AR 15 build will look like that...But for now, I'll have to live with my stupid tacticool carbine.

41magsnub
March 10, 2008, 11:03 PM
Agreed Deer Hunter, my goal before the election is a full up A2 style. Basically I want as close to what I carried in the Army as possible.

Nice A1!

The Deer Hunter
March 10, 2008, 11:08 PM
But for now, I'll have to live with my stupid tacticool carbine.

I, uhh, can help you out with that ;)

Bartholomew Roberts
March 10, 2008, 11:33 PM
Wow - good attention to detail on that retro build. Add an additional pin hole above the safety selector and you could have sold me that it was the real deal.

MMcfpd
March 10, 2008, 11:40 PM
...an additional pin hole above the safety selector...

Would that have something to do with an original's FA capability?

ckay
March 11, 2008, 12:29 AM
Looks great!

TexasRifleman
March 11, 2008, 12:40 AM
Would that have something to do with an original's FA capability?

Yes, the extra hole would be for the auto sear pin.

Don't actually drill the hole in an attempt to get the look right however, it can get you into much deep doo.

I've been tempted however to drill in a little and fill the hole with paint on one, for the look.

MMcfpd
March 11, 2008, 07:44 AM
I'm not likely to dupe the auto sear hole. This whole thing started because I had an unused A2 upper receiver and I wanted to put together a 20" rifle. Somehow the A2 upper lost its place in this effort.

Bullet Bob
March 11, 2008, 07:56 AM
Nice; everything you need, nothing that you don't!

H2O MAN
March 11, 2008, 07:59 AM
That thing needs a bayonet :evil:

BigG
March 11, 2008, 09:16 AM
The original Colts had a rounded plastic butt plate. The square trap door butt plate was an A1 mod. Not many had the three prong flash suppressor. Mostly had the bird cage.

grimjaw
March 11, 2008, 11:05 AM
That classic look is the only full-length AR I like. Nice job.

jm

rangerruck
March 11, 2008, 11:24 AM
very nice I am looking to put together the same thing, but the sin will be a removeable handle, flat top.

rangerruck
March 11, 2008, 11:25 AM
when I was in Basic in the mid 80's, my rifle had a 4 digit serial number, and the 3 prong flash, and fired full auto of course. Looka that 3 pronger up front...
firing expert with it was near impossible though.

strat81
March 11, 2008, 08:11 PM
Where's the flashlight and EOTech? :D

MMcfpd
March 11, 2008, 08:36 PM
Where's the flashlight and EOTech?

About a quarter century in the future. :)

One more day was all it took - the buttstock's been "corrected":
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/604_buttstock.jpg

Omaney
March 11, 2008, 08:56 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r261/omaney/weweresoldiers.jpg
"I ain't using that Mickey Mouse piece of...":evil:

No, not really. Nice job on the retro!

PAC 762
March 11, 2008, 10:10 PM
Very nice!

Who makes the old school lowers?

MIL-DOT
March 11, 2008, 10:10 PM
Last year i got one of those "found in warehouse,new" colt AR uppers with tri-guard from CDNN for $369,then by some strange coinicidence, found a rock river lower,with BCG and charging handle, for exactly the same price,when everyone else was out of stock,go figure .( some operation in Texas called "lonestar", thumbs up to those guys) . Anyway, it took about two swipes with a metal file,and they fit like a glove. I also have a "stupid,tacticool" shorty AR, a colt car-15 i bought new when stationed at Pendleton 20+ years ago, it's cool and it's nifty,and i love her dearly, but this retro AR feels like.....
......A RIFLE !!!!! You did good !!

MMcfpd
March 11, 2008, 10:43 PM
Who makes the old school lowers?

NoDak Spud (http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm) (one of the partners used to be a potato farmer in North Dakota) - quality work, but fairly low output.

Neo-Luddite
March 11, 2008, 11:08 PM
The more I see, it--the more I like clean lines.

If you enjoyed reading about "Couldn't stop myself (retro AR)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!