How much effect does pistol brass have on the re-load ?

PDA

Riss
March 10, 2008, 11:33 PM
Specifically something higher in pressure like the 9mm or 40 S&W ? Wondering how much it can change the pressures, mixed brass with different case wall thickness, already fired cases maybe stretched a little.

If you enjoyed reading about "How much effect does pistol brass have on the re-load ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
strat81
March 11, 2008, 12:25 AM
Depends on how close to max you are running.

If you are loading with max powder charges, shortest possible OAL, magnum primers, on a 100 degree day with ammo that sat in your trunk all afternoon, yes, brass can make a difference.

Thicker brass may decrease volume and thus increase pressures, but it *may* be stronger. Thinner brass may have more volume and thus lower pressures, but it *may* be weaker.

The chamber of gun can play a role too. Is it fully supported or not?

Riss
March 11, 2008, 04:13 AM
Using a new KKM barrel in a Glock. It is fully supported. Had really wild spread of velocities on a batch of mixed brass last week. Trying to get a stable load for IPSC. Need over 920 fps with my 185 gr Berry's clad pushed by 5.8 gr ? of Power Pistol. Sorted out 2 lots of brass for same headstamp from the barrel. Hope to get them Chrony'd tomorrow. I increased the powder charge about.2 gr since the last load, it only averaged 917 fps ant they were not consistent. I am hoping that I can figure out what the problem is.

345 DeSoto
March 11, 2008, 08:24 AM
If you're going to shoot IPSC, test the various headstamps and stick with one Mfgr. It just helps to eliminate one more of the variables in your ammunition...

If you enjoyed reading about "How much effect does pistol brass have on the re-load ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!