CMP "Correct Grade" Worth it?

PDA

TexasRifleman
March 11, 2008, 01:19 AM
I notice they have some "correct grades" now for $975.

Anyone bought one? What exactly is "correct"?
Is it worth that price?

What condition would you expect, not just the vague ratings CMP uses?

Thanks for info.

If you enjoyed reading about "CMP "Correct Grade" Worth it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Carl N. Brown
March 11, 2008, 01:28 AM
"Correct" grade means no mismatched parts (most issued military guns were arsenal reconditioned without attention paid to matching original contractor parts--a Winchester receiver could have a repair bolt from Inland for example.) "Correct" is important to collectors not shooters.

TexasRifleman
March 11, 2008, 01:41 AM
So the actual condition may or may not be better, just "matching" parts?

dmftoy1
March 11, 2008, 08:22 AM
Yup, that's pretty much it.

Onmilo
March 11, 2008, 10:56 AM
If you want to get technical the parts on a correct grade will still be mismatched.
The parts will be the correctly marked type of parts that would have been on the rifle when it left the Armory.
The chances are 50/50 that the parts will be the exact ones that actually left the Armory with the completed rifle.

If you are one of those guys who insists that his M1 rifle has all the Scott Duff correctly marked parts, you won't sleep at night unless you spend the money and buy one of these.

I, for one, would rather put the money in a great barrel.

Nikdfish
March 11, 2008, 11:07 AM
Correct grades ($950+) are described as being in "very good" to "excellant" with 80% finish or better & muzzle wear less < = 2, throat errosion < 4.

Sevice grades ($595) are described as "good" to "very good" & muzzle wear < 3, throat errosion < 5

As you may note, there is room for significant overlap in the correct & service grade designations when you are not considering production date correctness ...

Having said that, there is probably a somewhat better chance of getting a "pretty" M1 in correct grade than service grade, at least in regards to stock & metal finish conditions (per CMP grade description).

Nick

ledbet
March 11, 2008, 11:32 AM
FWIW..... I bought 2 correct grade late number Springfields at the North store about 2 years ago. I am pretty much convinced that they had never been issued. They look like new. Not all of the corrects in the racks at that time looked like this, but a lot of them did.

Bill

johnnyonthespot
March 12, 2008, 12:41 AM
lets see pics!

arthurcw
March 12, 2008, 12:50 AM
lets see pics!

+1, you tease!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "CMP "Correct Grade" Worth it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!