Leupold Mark 4 vs. Nightforce NXS

PDA

Richard.Howe
March 11, 2008, 05:29 AM
I'm about to purchase my next scope for long range target / field use with 338LM.

If it was your decision to make, would you select the Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 or the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56?

Thanks!
Rich

If you enjoyed reading about "Leupold Mark 4 vs. Nightforce NXS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Richard.Howe
March 13, 2008, 08:45 PM
So, not too many avid higher-end scope users here, it seems...

I have 2 Mark 4's, and just decided to try out the NXS. Will let you know how it turns out.

Rich

MGD 45
March 13, 2008, 09:34 PM
Sorry, but I only have a Mark IV with the 3.5-10X scope on my Rem. .308, but I always wanted to up the magnafication to the 5-20X range.....I did look through a Nightforce scope at a gun show the other month & it was really nice & impressive......don't think you can go wrong with either one.

rero360
March 13, 2008, 11:54 PM
I have the MK 4 in the 6.5X20 power and I really like it, but I've never looked through a Nightforce so I can't compare them. wouldn't mind getting one though.

Zak Smith
March 14, 2008, 12:13 AM
For 1000-2000 yard targets, I would personally go with something a little more expensive. Not only do some improved features make a bigger difference on extreme range targets (the biggest being a many-click single/double-turn knob), but the optical clarity has a much bigger effect.

I find the eye relief and exit pupil combination much harder to use ona NF vs. Leupold. For what NF is charging these days, you can almost afford a US Optics or a USED Schmidt & Bender, which would be my choice.

My preference would also be to come down in the magnification range. Even on my 5-25, I normally shoot at 12-16x, even beyond 1000 yards.

-z

If you enjoyed reading about "Leupold Mark 4 vs. Nightforce NXS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!