Finally got the Mosin to the range

PDA

TheDisturbed1
March 11, 2008, 07:27 AM
After reading about how that bayonet usually affects the "zero" for sighting in, I started with it mounted.. Somewhat unblanaced, But with it mounted, I did not have to touch a thing, It was dead-zero out of the box and I liked that.

It was sunday, and a warm alaskan day (around 40*F), so the range was well packed and busy, so I used the dirty ice chunks on melting snow banks at the 100 & 50 yard lines where the state (they operate the range) plowed the paths to setup targets.

Needless to say, I blew a chunk from the bank itself (hehe).

It was mostly to plink, to get a good idea of where it shoots and how it feels, I probably shot over 50-60 rounds myself, My girlfriend got maybe 7 in before her arm hurt... lol

I got video AND pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=typixrIHlJQ

Her getting a piece of the action :D
http://a661.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/15/l_855fc29d026295a333e361493aad64ac.jpg

And me gettin' some too..
http://a647.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/118/l_fe986e1fd5c4ccf3d23dc8688c55b986.jpg

All in All. Great range day, my shoulder is STILL sore and that was sunday. DEFINATELY worth it.

As some of y'all say, I'd be bitten by the Mosin bug.. Officially Addicted! Hooah!

P.S.: Without the bayonet it sent rounds far to the right, have yet to figure out EXACTLY how the bayonet affects this....

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally got the Mosin to the range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KI.W.
March 11, 2008, 07:54 AM
You need 28-30 or 39 "Finland", I think so.
http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/default http://www.7,62x54R.net

TheDisturbed1
March 11, 2008, 07:59 AM
but but but...

I love my 91/30 :D

jd46561
March 11, 2008, 10:18 AM
Its nice you had a great day at the range, but you should have moved the beer bottle out of camera range.:rolleyes: or was it root beer?.

PirateRadio
March 11, 2008, 10:49 AM
Cool pics and vid!

Good choice with the music for the vid! Rammstein is good stuff!

TheDisturbed1
March 12, 2008, 01:26 AM
Its nice you had a great day at the range, but you should have moved the beer bottle out of camera range.:rolleyes: or was it root beer?.

Good ol' Henry Weinhardts. It was Vanilla Cream. good stuff!

Cool pics and vid!

Good choice with the music for the vid! Rammstein is good stuff!

Thanks!

Yea, I saw a vid online with a Mosin going to Rammstein playing "Sonne", I thought "Moskau" would fit much better ;)

KI.W.
March 12, 2008, 09:03 AM
Mr theDisturbed1, mayby someday You need real lowe, then.....

Vaarok
March 12, 2008, 10:53 AM
The intro with your girlfriend firing and then turning around to complain was priceless.

Avenger29
March 12, 2008, 11:46 AM
I love my 91/30. I consider it to be a soft shooter- the weight definitely helps it.

Also, a slip on Limbsaver pad, small size, helps, too.

Halo
March 12, 2008, 11:57 AM
I love MNs. Shot my M44 some on Sunday and had almost forgotten what a thunderous report it has.

You should pick up a Finnish M39 too. I'm going to try out my 1942 Sako (built on an 1896 receiver) next weekend.

takhtakaal
March 12, 2008, 12:43 PM
Somebody needs to learn to use the sling. It's that belt-like thing that goes from one end of the rifle to the other and hangs down below it.

:D

jpwilly
March 12, 2008, 01:05 PM
Mosins are a hoot...your girl friend complaining was great but I think if you got a slip on recoil pad and had her keep the rifle tight to the shoulder it would have been much better for her. Anyway FUN FUN FUN!

Cosmoline
March 12, 2008, 01:11 PM
Nice to see another Mosin shooter in AK. You should try the Finns!

MiddleAgedKen
March 14, 2008, 12:39 AM
Nicely done. I had time to put 25 rounds through my M38 today after I broke in my Saiga .308, and for the first time ever (now hear this), I didn't have to use the mallet once! Heh. Cycled 25 rounds of two different kinds of surplus ammo, no problem. One was easier than the other, and I really need to figure out what I've got, beyond "oh, about 550 rounds" one of these days. One type is silver-tipped with a red line around the case neck and a dark copper wash; the other, which fed better, is an all-over "brassy-colored" wash.

A gentleman a few stalls down from me was shooting his M91/30, and let me tell you, he was pretty good with it (I got a look at his target when I went to change mine out). Me? I've improved all the way up to awful, but making progress and having a good time.

He had an interesting take on the sticky bolt: he said that when a lot of the Mosins were re-parkered, they didn't plug the barrel and ended up parkerizing the chamber into the bargain. I was all set to polish my chamber, and may yet do so on general principle, but it seems to be shooting itself into good behavior.

sarduy
March 14, 2008, 01:15 AM
I'm Clad you like it.

Mosin all the way ;)

here's a video too lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uRFmUlTxEs&feature=related

Ignition Override
March 14, 2008, 03:18 AM
Nice Mosin Public Relations. Good job:) .Your girlfriend has character and that is super that she is interested in shooting (today my wife-not a gun fan...a music voice major-said "ok..buy it but don't tell me about it :banghead: :D).

Your girlfriend could defend your home against both hungry bears and Memphis' professional criminals!

But is the Mosin's trigger pressure normal in such a gun (still being somewhat of a beginner)?

TheDisturbed1
March 14, 2008, 03:27 AM
haha I love my girlfriend.. After that first shot (at the beginning of the clip), I asked if she wanted to shoot again, as she was rubbing her shoulder she calmly said "yes.." :D

357WheelGun
March 14, 2008, 04:04 AM
It's been a while since I've heard Rammstein. I'm going to have to dig out the CDs.

LAK
March 14, 2008, 07:31 AM
Now that's fun. You gal has some real spirit too!

Brings back memories shooting on that range in 1996/97. Among other things, I miss living in a place where you can just drive out somewhere, set up some targets - or junk - and shoot.

TheDisturbed1
March 14, 2008, 08:59 AM
South Cushman is an awesome spot...

We once brought out a fridge and peppered it with an M44, WASR-3, .22, and a CZ-52.

Talk about a blast! :D

BorisDaBastid
March 14, 2008, 09:40 AM
Nice rifle. Everytime someone starts going on and on about their Mosin, I kick myself swiftly in the 4th point of contact for re-uping to stay in Germany. Right now, sitting in a nice gun safe at my folks house, is my Mosin, with only 40 rounds having been fired through it by me. Damn me.

Enjoy your new rifle man. They're a joy to own.

RTFM
March 14, 2008, 09:50 AM
I think the real question here is How in the Heck did you get the bayonet on?

To this day I can not fix mine.

Great guns!

sarduy
March 15, 2008, 01:41 AM

Great guns!

what kind of mosin nagant do you own? tell me, so i can make a video to show you.

TheDisturbed1
March 16, 2008, 05:09 AM

Great guns!

Okay. The bayo thing was kinda easy for me, I sprayed all the rubbing parts with Rem-Oil really good, and after taking on/off 5 or 6 times (it was REALLY stiff) its slaps on with massive ease..

Theres methods to cut down the latch so it snaps on easier.. But I did'nt need any of that.

Good luck!

[the how-to is easy, slide over muzzle with slot fitting through front sight block, when down as much as possible, twist clockwise until you hear the latch click.]

P.S.

Y'all see that beautiful girl I identified as my girlfriend?

Well, I can now say she is my lovely Fiance' :D

Lon371
March 16, 2008, 11:07 AM
I love taking my daughter to the range. She is 5'5" 115lbs. She shoots my Mosin like it is no ones buisness. The guys at range come see what the boom was and see her shooting it is priceless.

GD
March 16, 2008, 02:06 PM
Congratulations - looks like you found a great one!

BorisDaBastid
March 16, 2008, 02:13 PM
On another note, I wish I could get my wife to shoot my mosin once. Just once. The last time I saw here shoot was her pop's Kel-tec 9mm, and although she swears up and down that she likes the pistol, she's reluctant to let me purchace it. Good deal on havin an ol' lady that's all about the putting steel on target.

LAK
March 20, 2008, 09:09 AM
Y'all see that beautiful girl I identified as my girlfriend?

Well, I can now say she is my lovely Fiance'
Congratulations; don't let her get away from you :)

Zouave Rifle
March 20, 2008, 10:28 AM
I just mounted my Type 53 with a 2.5 x 30 LER scope. Made my own mount out of a block of aluminum. Great combination! Enjoy your M44.

Franco2shoot
March 20, 2008, 01:38 PM
I'll be willing to bet I know what your problem is, but first a few questions.

1. Does the bayonet slip over the muzzle easily, but just not rotate.

2. Is the snap on the bayonet (push down against the spring) easy to operate?

Background:
I could not get my bayonet to snap on initially. It would not go fully down on the muzzle, nor would it rotate. On inspecting the inside barrel of the bayonet, I could see splotches of cosmoline and corrosion. I could not remove this with simple Hoppes #9. Finally, in desperation, I took the bayonet into my workshop where I found that a small dremel tool sanding drum fit nicely inside. I took to the inside with a vengence and didn't let up til the inside was nice and shiney. Then I re-blued the inside. At this point the bayonet fit snug but easily down on the barrel. However, it still would not lock in place.

Now since I was in the workshop, the cutting wheel was next but I goofed.
As you can see in the picture below I was cutting and filing the piece that touches the front of the sight.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=73293&d=1203458950

It still would not rotate. The key was to file where the screwdriver is pointing, in other words, that back band. Once this was filed, rotation was easy and the bayonet snaps on and off easily as seen here in the locked position.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=74092&d=1204465577

PS: Once you can easily snap on and off I think you will enjoy shooting more with it on....

KKKKFL

MiddleAgedKen
March 20, 2008, 02:14 PM
Congratulations, TheDisturbed1. Best wishes for a long and happy life together.

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally got the Mosin to the range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!