Knives in the Dishwasher?

PDA

Browns Fan
March 11, 2008, 07:41 AM
We are taking some teenaged boys on a camping trip in a couple of weeks and I have been assigned to give a class on knife safety. While doing the research for this (I am no knife expert), I found a sight that said do not put knifes in a dishwasher, hand wash them instead. My wife, last yr bought a set of Cook kitchen knifes, and she says that your not supposed to put those in the dishwasher. What is up with that? What is the difference?

Thanks,
Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Knives in the Dishwasher?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shawnee
March 11, 2008, 07:57 AM
Putting them in a dishwasher exposes the edge to lots of bumps and abrasion - thus dulling them very quickly. Same effect as just tossing them in a compartment with other silverware in a drawer.
Also, wooden knife handles (a la Chicago Cutlery etc.) will soften and deteriorate fairly quickly if they undergo frequent, high-temperature drenchings as they would do if always washed in a dishwasher. They really should not even be submerged in dishwater in the sink. The handles can be cleaned just fine 99.9% of the time by simply wiping with a damp cloth or sponge and then (immediately) wiped dry with a towel.

HTH
:cool:

BigG
March 11, 2008, 09:19 AM
Dishwasher detergent contains fuller's earth - an abrasive for blasting the dried on stuff off of dishes. It will remove the handle of your knife and probably the edge, too. You can see how it etches glass that has been run through the dishwasher.

auschip
March 11, 2008, 09:28 AM
Putting them in a dishwasher exposes the edge to lots of bumps and abrasion - thus dulling them very quickly. Same effect as just tossing them in a compartment with other silverware in a drawer.

Plus, the soap is a mild abrasive (Kind like some folks I know :evil: ). When the soap and the water mix and are blasted across the knife edge, it dulls them quickly. I hand wash all my knives, then rinse dry them right away. Then a light wipe with a paper towel that has a tiny amount of oil.

Browns Fan
March 11, 2008, 12:06 PM
OK, Thanks guys!:)

Colt46
March 11, 2008, 07:11 PM
I had a cheap set of Stainless wooden handled Chicago Cultery knives that I ran through just to see how fast they would come apart.
The odd one was little spots of rust in the stainless steel. The wooden handles held up better than I thought, but got dried out and started to crack. The amount of knocking around the knives got from the water jets dulled them pretty quick.
Heat, moisture, detergents, and chlorine from the water all have a shot at taking apart any knife pretty quickly.

Wooden handled knives should never be immersed in hot, soapy water. Water seems to get into the tightest seams.

ArfinGreebly
March 11, 2008, 07:47 PM
Good knives in the dishwasher is a "twenty lashes" offense in my house.

It pretty much wrecks them.

Oh, we can itemize the cruelty that they endure in that torture chamber, but why risk the PTSD that might follow?

I find that fewer and fewer of my kitchen items get the dishwasher treatment. I'm down to cheap flatware, certain cups, most bowls, and plates. Wife sticks in anything that will fit. Gawd. We have a regular seminar on "this DOES NOT go in the dishwasher." I've pretty much resigned myself to buying a new can opener every few months. Even though I've explained in detail what happens to can openers, she figures it's quicker and "more sanitary" to put them through the dishwasher.

The emoticon for this doesn't exist on THR.

If you enjoyed reading about "Knives in the Dishwasher?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!