Scope

PDA

Big Daddy K
March 11, 2008, 01:01 PM
I have a scope with the AO or whatever its called on the front. What exactly is it for. Does adjusting it move the point of impact. I assume I should keep it on whatever I zero the rifle at. Say 100 yds.

It goes from 50 I think in 50 yd incriments up to infinity.

Why not keep it on infinity?

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
March 11, 2008, 01:23 PM
It is for adjusting parallax. Do not use it to clear up the recticle. Do you have the instructions. Google parallax and adjustable objectives and you will find something that explains it in detail.

Ex 1 (http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html)

Ex 2 (http://www.abousainc.com/objective%20parallax.htm)

Wildfire
March 11, 2008, 01:38 PM
Hey there:
The outter ring on the front of your scope is for adjusting "Parralax" This adjustment brings distant objects into the same focal plane as the cross wires.
If you hold the gun very steady as in a shooting rest and look through the scope . You will see that the cross wires may appear to move on objects at different distances. That adjustment is to eliminate that problem.
The ring at the rear of the scope is for adjusting your focus on the cross wires only. Make them clear and crisp at a glance (don't look for long periods of time).
On any "Quality scope "your point of impact should not change at all.
If the parralax isout of adjustment for a particular distance, (Then) your point of impact could be off.
Many still believe that changing the power setting will move POI. In the past that may have been true. But the newer scopes have very little run out and only extreme long distance shooters can detect it. But for the most part in quality scopes it can not be found.

Big Daddy K
March 11, 2008, 02:00 PM
Good info but what does infinity do?

Is it a set it and forget it option?

Wildfire
March 13, 2008, 02:33 AM
hey there:
Infinity or oo setting on that scope will help with anything past the Numbered part. More then likely you won't be shooting that far. Usually anything after 300 yards.
You can test for parralax by holding the gun very still and moving your head up , down and or sideways. When the cross wires stay put on the target. Parralax is OK. When The cross wires appear to move or shift on the target you have a Parralax and it needs correcting or you POI will suffer.

Shawnee
March 13, 2008, 05:42 AM
If you want to mess with it as little as possible you could just set it on 200yds. or 250yds. and leave it alone. That way you you can shoot out to about 350yds. without worrying about parallax unless you're trying to hit dimes on hot days at that distance.

:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!