How many shoot Creedmore style?

PDA

armoredman
March 11, 2008, 02:42 PM
I was down at our free public range this morning, and as I was leaving, an elderly gent and his friend were setting up, and the shooter touched off a round from a long barreled revolver, Creedmore style. It occured to me that in all the time I've been shooting, this is the first time I have ever seen anyone use this style, so I was just curious if it is used much.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many shoot Creedmore style?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Larry Ashcraft
March 11, 2008, 02:58 PM
It was very popular with the IHMSA (http://www.ihmsa.org/) crowd back in the early 80s when we competed. It probably still is, because it works so well.

230RN
March 11, 2008, 03:18 PM
Ummmm... I'm not sure what the Creedmoor Style is with a handgun... can someone describe it?

Is that supine, with firearm supported by a raised knee?

Googling resulted in a hodgepodge of Creedmoor-style equipment, but I could not get an image of the position with a handgun.

For others' benefit as well, I assume.

ETAFWIW: I used to work at the Creedmoor State Hospital, and they spelled it "Creedmoor."

Cosmoline
March 11, 2008, 03:24 PM
I'm also wondering what the stance is. When I think of the old Creedmoor style I think of shooting a really, really long rifle while lying down and setting the barrel over your feet.

http://www.riflesmith.com/webmanhomepage.gif

armoredman
March 11, 2008, 03:26 PM
One way, but the way I know it is on the back, knees bent, laying the firearm along the lower leg, (covered in a leather sheet), and supporting the head with the off hand.

jashobeam
March 11, 2008, 03:30 PM
I first encountered it many years ago. I was about 16 years old and saw some guys shooting metallic silhouettes. One of the shooters asked me if I wanted to try it. He was shooting a Remington XP-100 in .221 fireball (a bolt-action pistol). He instructed me on how to configure my body into the Creedmoor position. As a result of this experience I begged my mom to let me buy a Thompson/Center Contender in .223--which she did!

Anyway, here are some important points regarding the Creedmoor:

First, I was taught that no part of your body (including your toes) is supposed to extend beyond the barrel. However, I have a book called Metallic Silhouette Shooting by Elgin Gates that contains numerous pictures of shooters with their toes slightly down range.

The book says: "Revolvers require use of a blast shield made of Kevlar body armor to protect against cylinder gap blast, lead shaving."

On pages 70 and 71 in the chapter entited "Tips & Strategies for Winning", the book says:
"Creedmoore Position: Stand, facing the target squarely. Spread your feet approximately two feet apart. Sit. Recline with knees drawn up. Let the knees drop together.
"Reach your off-hand behind your head as though to touch behind your shoulder blades. Rest your knowledge box on your forearm. With the elbow of your gun hand a few inches to the side of your hip, place your gun against your thigh. Again, if the sights do not align naturally upon the target, adjust your position until they do. Do not touch the trigger, nor put your finger into the trigger guard, until you are on target, ready to fire."
"Inhale through the nose, exhale through the mouth. When everything "smells magic," then fire. That is to say, gently build up pressure on the trigger until it breaks."

Deanimator
March 11, 2008, 03:38 PM
A few years ago, a friend was moving to Seattle, so he and another friend and I had a going away shoot. After reading about very long range revolver shooting by a Louisville, KY club in the early 1900s, I wanted to try to duplicate their results. I'd done some long range with my M1911 in college, so I had some idea of what I needed to do. We shot at 100 and 200 yards. I used the same supine position that I'd used with my .45. I got pretty good results out to 200 yards with my K-38 and 130gr. Winchester White Box.

Grizzly Adams
March 11, 2008, 03:39 PM
I tried it once. But after I got untwisted and got the old bones straight I decided it wasn't for me!

230RN
March 11, 2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah, OK, that's what I thought.

I like the term "knowledge box." In some cases, though, it should be the "stupidity box."

"Smells magic" is such an apt description of when the gun goes off juuuust exactly right.

Ahh, what a feeling!

I just googlemapped Creedmoor State Hospital and the aerial image shows the building I used to work in.

At least I think so.

Jeeze, that was 1960 or so.

Larry Ashcraft
March 11, 2008, 03:50 PM
There's a picture of me shooting my Colt Huntsman Creedmore style in this slide show by Marshall Dodge: Slide Show Rev2 (http://home.comcast.net/~fun2shoot/thrvids/thr2.wmv) (Slide show is from last year's Whittington get together.)

Normally, I use that position when using an unlimited gun, like the Wichita 7mm International I used while competing. It works well with any gun you can shoot it safely with.

Beware; if you shoot a revolver Creedmore, you'll need a sturdy leg guard, like a couple layers of inner tube to shield the cylinder blast. The cylinder blast from a Ruger SBH is like getting hit on the leg with a hammer. Ask me how I know.

jnyork
March 11, 2008, 04:07 PM
I shot IHMSA for years, but the organization is only a tiny remainder of what it used to be, and there are no matches conducted now in my area at all. I still shoot creedmore style sometimes at our club matches, which are mostly Cowboy Lever Action now, same targets, same distances. Creedmore position, once you get it down pat, is as good as a benchrest, very steady.

Gator
March 11, 2008, 04:15 PM
Used to, until the arthritis got too bad. Its a great position for long range handgunning.

DoubleTapDrew
March 11, 2008, 04:19 PM
Only time I've seen it is when my dad shot his XP-100 (chambered in 7mm-08) that way at a rock about 300yds away when we were on a varmint hunting trip and playing with long range stuff. He used to shoot IHMSA. I was impressed when he hit it on the first shot (and wished I had covered my ears!)
I've never tried shooting that way and imagine you'd want more than a pair of shorts on if shooting a revolver.

eyebrows
March 11, 2008, 04:33 PM
At IHMSA events I shoot a 10" Buckmark Sillouette. Sometimes standing mostly Creedmore. I like it because once you get comfortable with it, and find your sweet spots it's very stable and you can get center hits all day long with very little trouble, if the wind plays along. Tried it once with a 5.5" Ruger MKII. Little to close for comfort for me. I like my legs without extra holes or burns.

Gator
March 11, 2008, 06:47 PM
You can get a blast shield for your leg :)

armoredman
March 11, 2008, 07:03 PM
This guy had what looked like a thick leather sheet over his leg.

rhubarb
March 11, 2008, 10:55 PM
Notice how the guy in Cosmoline's pic has his toes carefully pointed straight ahead?:D

Larry Ashcraft
March 11, 2008, 11:20 PM
This guy had what looked like a thick leather sheet over his leg.
I tried a couple layers of leather cut from old boot tops. No good.

A layer or two of inner tubes, plus a layer of leather worked pretty well.

I finally just gave up shooting Creedmore with a revolver, and just used it in unlimited.

hankdatank1362
March 12, 2008, 12:00 AM
We had to learn it in ROTC, but that was with .22LR rifles.

jrfoxx
March 12, 2008, 12:20 AM
I can certainly see how that would be an extremely stable and accurate method of shooting, but is sure lloks like it would get REAL uncomfortable REAL fast.

AndyC
March 12, 2008, 12:31 AM
Now I know I'm getting old when people think Creedmore is something unusual and quaint - outta the way, sonny *tap, tap, grumble, mutter* :D

If you enjoyed reading about "How many shoot Creedmore style?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!