Winchester 70 XTR

PDA

Firepower!
March 11, 2008, 02:47 PM
I am planning on buying a 7mm Remington Magnum. I have seen one slightly used with telescope a Winchester 70 XTR.

Does anyone have any comments on this gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 70 XTR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RickH
March 11, 2008, 08:24 PM
I just recently bought a used one, after shooting it a friend bought one too. I have only used it at the range so far but I like it. Very accurate when the barrel isn't hot. I bought it because it could be used for both deer and elk. This is my first non milsurp rifle so I can't really compare and contrast much. The shop had a used Ruger, Browning (FN?) and the Winchester all in the same price range. The Winchester seemed to be the nicest of the three and the research I did before buying was all positive. I'd start with 150 grain bullets to get a feel for it. The 175 grain bullets whomp you pretty good after 5 or so.

Firepower!
March 12, 2008, 06:09 AM
Do you know anything about the range of this rifle, and up to what size of game can it bring down?

RickH
March 13, 2008, 05:27 PM
Here is a link with a lot of info on the 7mm:
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.7mm-remington-magnum.html
If you do a search on "7mm remington magnum" you will also get tons of hits.
When I bought the rifle I was after something that would work for deer and elk. When buying ammo I noticed Federal puts animals on the boxes so you know roughly what game the bullet is good for. 150 grain has a deer on it, 175 grain has an elk, and 200 grain has a water buffalo. I think with proper bullets there isn't much you can't hunt with this caliber. There may be better choices if you are off to Africa. But I think you can cover most North American game.

RickH
March 13, 2008, 05:46 PM
Forgot about range. To be honest I don't know-reading online I see that people have shot deer out to 300 yards. Probably better at long range with lighter bullets. I am in Western Washington and all hunting on this side of the Cascades is pretty much hills and forest so long range isn't too much of an issue here. I think if you go to some ammo manufacturers websites you should be able to find some of those charts that show bullet drop with various loads. That may give you a basic idea of range. I hope someone with a little more knowledge and experience will step in and give you some better info. Good luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 70 XTR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!