Question about SAR-1 Romanian AK-47

PDA

HIPOWER
August 7, 2003, 10:58 PM
Hi folks. How many rounds will these rifles last? I've heard that the milled recievers are more durable than the stamped ones on the SAR's but how much more durable? Will the stamped reciever last in the long haul? How many rounds do you have through your SAR?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about SAR-1 Romanian AK-47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MAKOwner
August 7, 2003, 11:28 PM
Bare minimum I'd give a stamped AKM 15 to 20,000 rounds worth of life, probably alot more. Barrel life is up near 40 or 50,000 I want to say. I'm not sure I buy the whole stamped having a shorter lifespan thing, provided it is a properly built rifle...

Sir Galahad
August 7, 2003, 11:35 PM
The Kalashnikov was made to go a full 30,000 rounds before a part failure. That means, before a spring broke or so forth. I've heard of AKs with 200,000 rounds through them. Mine has several thousand. The stamped receiver will last just fine. The AKM, the final version of the 7.62x39 AK is the one with the stamped receiver. Soviets never were into making things they had to throw away too soon, so you can bet the AKM lasts plenty. You will get your money's worth and then some from a SAR-1 and your grandkids will be shooting it. You save so much money on magazines and ammo alone, you could actually buy a second SAR-1 and just fire it a few times to verify function and sighting, then clean it up and cosmo it and store the weapon. But you may never even need to unwrap that baby, trust me.

bad_dad_brad
August 8, 2003, 12:15 AM
Geez, way more than I will ever shoot.

762x51
August 8, 2003, 03:45 PM
Come on.....thats only like......30 cases of ammo. :D

Oh no.....that means I've only got about 27 cases to go before a part failure. I better take it easy for a while. ;)

RustyHammer
August 8, 2003, 05:15 PM
YES .. and if you own more than one, your trigger finger will likely wear out first! :what:

benEzra
August 8, 2003, 07:47 PM
Actually, the general consensus seems to be that in AK series rifles, stamped receivers actually last longer than milled due to greater wear resistance. (It's not light gauge steel; it's pretty thick.) Perhaps the nicest AKs on the market--and perhaps the most expensive--are the VEPR series, based on Russian-made RPK-style receivers. Those are stamped, not milled.

HIPOWER
August 8, 2003, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the reassuring information. I had never heard the opinion that stamped receivers are just as or more durable than the milled receivers. Interesting.

benEzra
August 8, 2003, 11:19 PM
This from Robinson Arms (source of VEPRs):
There are three basic types of Kalashnikov rifles on the market. They are the AK47, AKM47, and the RPK (heavy duty receiver). As most of you know, the AK47 was designed as an infantry rifle capable of firing in either the semi-automatic or fully-automatic mode.

The first AK47s had machined receivers. Later the Soviets produced the AKM47s (the "M" stands for modern), the Soviets found that stampings were not only more efficient to produce but resulted in longer receiver life and better accuracy than the milled receivers.
http://www.robarm.com/RA_vepr_akrpkcomp.htm

Now, some AK owners do swear by the milled Bulgarian receivers (mucho $$$), but stamped-receiver AKM's have been serving eastern-bloc nations for decades, often in gritty conditions with little maintenance and usually fired full-auto, and they hold up. I've read that SARs are some of the most faithful reproductions of the AKM extant, so I'd be pretty optimistic about their durability.

Sir Galahad
August 9, 2003, 12:08 AM
Vic Vega, that is an EXCELLENT post!! A great read and very good points! Thank you for posting that!:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about SAR-1 Romanian AK-47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!