Jim Carey's Glock on Letterman last night

PDA

nicki
March 11, 2008, 11:13 PM
Lat night Jim Carrey was on Letterman.

Since he came on stage in a robe, his timing got messed up due to daylight savings time, he was late.

Dave had some clothes brought in which Jim Changed into on stage.

During the process, he asked Dave to hold his Glock while he was getting dressed.

Since Letterman is shot in New York, I guess Jim Carey has a NYC Carry permit. If he doesn't , do you think he will get prosecuted.

Nicki

If you enjoyed reading about "Jim Carey's Glock on Letterman last night" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
3pairs12
March 11, 2008, 11:15 PM
I did not know Jim Carrey carries thats cool.

strat81
March 11, 2008, 11:15 PM
Coulda been a prop.

RancidSumo
March 11, 2008, 11:16 PM
Jim Carrey is awsome. If this is true, that just reinforces this.

bensdad
March 11, 2008, 11:18 PM
Even if he has a permit he was clearly brandishing. :neener:

AndyC
March 11, 2008, 11:19 PM
Animal Farm again

Charles Foxtrot
March 11, 2008, 11:20 PM
I thought he was a Canuckistani.

Great comedian. We pull out The Mask every time we need to laugh off a few pounds.

Beagle-zebub
March 11, 2008, 11:30 PM
More like Jim CARRY!

[rimshot]

average_shooter
March 11, 2008, 11:45 PM
Hmmm.... interesting video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3z-6wnJ2uvc

Its a bit older (not the Letterman bit referenced in the OP) but from this one it would seem he is not a big proponent of carry rights.

Gator
March 11, 2008, 11:47 PM
Animal Farm again

Are you saying Jim Carrey's a pig? ;)

Leanwolf
March 11, 2008, 11:51 PM
Jim Carey is just a poor imitation of Jerry Lewis.

He's also just another left wing "progressive" Hollywood lib who happens to make many $$$$ with his face making.

I'd bet a lot of money that the "Glock" you saw on Letterman's show was a stage prop.

L.W.

Ranger Rog
March 11, 2008, 11:53 PM
Ted Kennedy was cited in NYC, Jim Carey?

RockyMtnTactical
March 11, 2008, 11:54 PM
I'm guessing prop...

That said, despite the stand up routine on guns... He is a comic. It is possible he was just joking... I didn't notice any particular disdain for firearms, but who knows?

I will wait to hear more about this issue before I make any judgments.

FWIW, I have never been a Jim Carey fan personally. The only two movies I ever walked out of the theater on were two of his flicks.

Brian Dale
March 11, 2008, 11:58 PM
Good publicity for concealed carry; fine with me.

Winchester 73
March 12, 2008, 12:02 AM

Jerry Lewis is a poor imitation of Jerry Lewis.
Our all time worst comedian.The French thinks he's better than Chaplin.That finishes him right there.

GigaBuist
March 12, 2008, 12:18 AM
FWIW, I have never been a Jim Carey fan personally. The only two movies I ever walked out of the theater on were two of his flicks

I'm not a huge fan of his comedy movies either. They're alright, but it gets old pretty quick.

After seeing The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind I'm willing to watch any drama he's in. Really good flick and I think he did a great job in it.

That said, I'm presuming it was a gag, but that means carrying a pistol around is commonplace enough that people can make jokes about it.

If comedians ever start making jokes about buying guns for zombies then we'll really know we've won the culture war.

theken206
March 12, 2008, 12:20 AM
"After seeing The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind I'm willing to watch any drama he's in. Really good flick and I think he did a great job in it"

:scrutiny:

I would rather eat glass and was it down with torpedo juice than have to sit through that movie agin.

Hoppy590
March 12, 2008, 12:25 AM
im still trying to get the animal farm reference...

anyone care to explain?

not napoleon, not snowball, not boxer, not jess, not mollie... WHO IS IT!!

Kind of Blued
March 12, 2008, 12:31 AM
So... you saw a gun on tv?

Zundfolge
March 12, 2008, 12:34 AM
"Some animals are MORE equal than others."

If he indeed has a CHL in NYC then the statement would apply ... however, I believe he lives in LA not NYC and the gun is clearly a prop.

Cosmoline
March 12, 2008, 12:36 AM
The article I spotted said it was a prop. If they were goofing with it you can BET MONEY it was a prop. There are seriously huge underwriting issues about that sort of thing, and there's no way the adjusters would let an asset like Letterman monkey around with some nutcase comedian's REAL firearm.

That said, many years ago letterman did indeed flash his shoulder holster. It was back when I still watched TV, in the late 80's after that nutty actor had tried to attack him.

Winchester 73
March 12, 2008, 12:38 AM

anyone care to explain?

AndyC was having an existential moment.
He'll explain when the Force releases him.

MachIVshooter
March 12, 2008, 12:45 AM
That said, despite the stand up routine on guns... He is a comic. It is possible he was just joking... I didn't notice any particular disdain for firearms, but who knows?

I don't usually take offense when comedians do bits like that. Eddie Izzard is a very talented comedian-absolutely hysterical. He does a bit in "dressed to kill" that is similar to Carrey's act.

(language warning)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KsN0FCXw914&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uEx5G-GOS1k

He's never spoken out against firearms or gun owners to my knowledge, so I won't deny myself his humor simply because he pokes fun at our hobby and some of our sayings in order to make people laugh. That's what comedians do, and if you're overly sensitive/easily offended, then stand-up is not for you.

Guitargod1985
March 12, 2008, 01:25 PM
He's never spoken out against firearms or gun owners to my knowledge, so I won't deny myself his humor simply because he pokes fun at our hobby and some of our sayings in order to make people laugh. That's what comedians do, and if you're overly sensitive/easily offended, then stand-up is not for you.

So... that's a dude dressed like a woman? I don't get it.

Wineoceros
March 12, 2008, 01:32 PM
Since Letterman is shot in New York, I guess Jim Carey has a NYC Carry permit. If he doesn't , do you think he will get prosecuted.
Oh, geez.....

PirateRadio
March 12, 2008, 01:43 PM
MachIVshooter -

Eddit Izzard is a funny dude. I really dig the DVD that those clips were taken from.

stevereno1
March 12, 2008, 02:42 PM
Sean penn carries as well, and he would be the first in line to endorse a 100% gun ban candidate. The laws that apply to us don't apply to them. Rosie o'donnel has an armed bodyguard, yet she sponsored the Million Mom March, even though only about 15,000 turned out, she isn't a REAL Mom, and they didn't march. Screw hollywood (except for Tom Selleck, who is a conservative).

SoCalShooter
March 12, 2008, 04:02 PM
Really? That is awesome, Dave probably crapped himself. This is really nice to know.

Winchester 73
March 12, 2008, 04:28 PM
Screw hollywood (except for Tom Selleck, who is a conservative).
http://www.libertyactivist.org/~bsampsel/guns.html
There are a few others:

Nope, this is NOT a long list.
Bruce Willis
Steven Seagal
Chuck Norris
Jeri Ryan (7 of 9)
Leslie Easterbrook (Sgt Callahan, "Police Academy")
Conan O'Brien
Metallica (all of them)
Brad Gillis (guitarist, Night Ranger)
Ted Nugent
Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Kurt Russell

I think Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher can be added to his list.

MaterDei
March 12, 2008, 04:31 PM
Here's the video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EvcgZKyWiHo&feature=user

highorder
March 12, 2008, 04:44 PM
that appears to be a Gen 2 Glock 19, and it appears to be "uncocked" by the position of the trigger. If its not real, then it is a really good prop. the sound it made when Dave set it on the desk was convincing.

if it was real, it doesn't make much sense; with his clothing change he would have has the gun brought out to him with the clothes...

Wineoceros
March 12, 2008, 04:51 PM
You know, "prop" doesn't necessarily mean "fake". Real firearms that have been disabled are standard props in movies and television.

This is a T.V. show. It's scripted and, to some degree, rehearsed.

NG VI
March 12, 2008, 04:52 PM
Sarah Michelle Gellar is a shooter? awesome!
And I didn't know about Conan O'Brien being a shooter either, interesting.

CWL
March 12, 2008, 04:55 PM
Would you ever hand a loaded gun over to someone you do not know well and assume they understand firearms safety?

Just a visual gag for television.

XDKingslayer
March 12, 2008, 04:56 PM
http://www.libertyactivist.org/~bsampsel/guns.html
There are a few others:

Nope, this is NOT a long list.
Bruce Willis
Steven Seagal
Chuck Norris
Jeri Ryan (7 of 9)
Leslie Easterbrook (Sgt Callahan, "Police Academy")
Conan O'Brien
Metallica (all of them)
Brad Gillis (guitarist, Night Ranger)
Ted Nugent
Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Kurt Russell

That just made her that much hotter!

Hkmp5sd
March 12, 2008, 04:59 PM
Lots of rich and famous think it is ok for the rich and famous to carry concealed weapons. Donald Trump as a NYC CCW. The question is what is Carrey's opinion of you being allowed to carry a CCW along with him?

SaMx
March 12, 2008, 05:00 PM
That just made her that much hotter!

and Conan funnier

and metallica cooler (is that possible?)

jakemccoy
March 12, 2008, 05:07 PM
The rich and famous circle may carry, but they don't want you to carry. Don't go for the pump fake. Get down in a solid defensive stance, and play ball!

rero360
March 12, 2008, 05:10 PM
yeah, I'd say anyone who goes bear hunting in Russia for a week with nothing to drink other than snow and vodka is alright in my books (James Hetfield) always been a big fan of Metallice, as well as the Nug.

CountGlockula
March 12, 2008, 08:21 PM
http://i27.tinypic.com/9059wk.png

DougDubya
March 12, 2008, 08:37 PM
Something looks very wrong about that grip - it's a prop.

RyanM
March 12, 2008, 08:41 PM
The base of the grip looks a little funny to me, but maybe that's because I'm most familiar with 3rd gen guns. In a different shot, the stock Glock U-shaped white outline is clearly visible on the rear sight, though.

hksw
March 12, 2008, 08:58 PM
Uh, clearly scripted.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1366596628694599802&q=jim+carrey+letterman&total=37&start=0&num=100&so=0&type=search&plindex=16

You don't really think Jim Carrey would advertise on national TV his supposed status on CC by pulling out and showing his CCW do you?

Winchester 73
March 12, 2008, 09:18 PM
Maybe Jim is into guns:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=237215&page=2
PM
Post #31

dorisday
Seedling

Posts: 27 Oh right - he's a nice guy - who brings guns to interviews. If you don't believe me, read the Movieline expose of a couple of years ago. The female journalist repeatedly asked him to put the gun away, but he refused, gloating with the power he held over her.

Maybe you should also read the brilliant expose Rolling Stone did on him a few years ago, and how he tried to pay off his ex-wife with only $25,000 after she waited tables for years supporting him and his child while he indulged himself at Yuk Yuks.

Then I read the public court documents (available at Smoking Gun")about he told his child - "Dont ask me for money - I want you to love me for myself". Yah, that sounds like him "please love me, movie-going public, or I'll go into a deep depression again..."

I don't give a rat's *** if you people like a**holes like Carrey and I don't buy your arguments. I'm just telling you I don't like him. And one of you trashed Russell Crowe - yeah he's a creep, but he doesn't try to candy-coat it or pretend he's a wonderful man, like Carrey does.

Oh, and buy the way, Jimbo's movied dropped a whopping 50% in the box office this weekend. That should send him rushing for the Prozac.

jakemccoy
March 12, 2008, 09:20 PM
We now know Jim Carey is not a safe gun handler - what a great way to hand somebody a gun, good job Jim, dork. It doesn't matter if it's a prop. It's set up to be/look real in real life. This interview is not a movie or movie set.

Get some training for crying out loud and handle that loaded gun correctly if you're going to hand the gun to someone. Remove the magazine; clear the chamber; engage the slide stop. This is not comedy, nor is it funny.

I wouldn't be so pissy if it wasn't national television.

Travis McGee
March 12, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'm cool with it. It's great publicity in sheeple land for concealed carry. The sheeple might even have a thought.

http://www.rc4systems.net/albums/album02/Left-n-Right.jpg

poor_richard
March 12, 2008, 10:31 PM
I guessing that it's a prop gun. Don't see how this makes gun owners look good. It does explain why much of the public seems to have such a cavalier attitude toward firearms in general. How many of you would have recklessly (pointing muzzle at yourself) passed a CC piece around, and then not even bother to properly stow/secure it when finished dressing. Especially a Glock with a "hairpin trigger". Then, talk of using it on the paparazzi, recklessly endangering innocent bystanders (collateral damage), and using it to get "respect". Sounded more like he was mocking gun owners in a stereotypical fashion. The part about coming in with only a bathrobe was just too much along the line of his type of humor to actually be believable.

.cheese.
March 12, 2008, 11:20 PM
are you freaking kidding me?!?

This is a sad ... sad moment.

1) Obviously scripted and part of the whole bit!
2) Why would he have a gun under his robe while having a massage? That entirely defeats the purpose of the massage.
3) If you took your gun out and put it on a desk in front of somebody you barely know, with the muzzle pointing at hundreds of people, would you just leave it there? Well, he did.
4) There was no mass panic. In NYC, a Glock getting pulled off would typically cause mass hysteria, declaration of a police state, and for Bloomberg to call the Pentagon requesting the DOD go to Defcon 1. Nobody said a peep. They expected it to happen. It was a bit.

I don't care what the gun looks like. That was a bit. It was scripted..... and what's worse, is that it was painfully obvious yet some of you are scratching your heads!?!

but for the sake of discussion, I am sure it was a prop.

Sergeant Sabre
March 12, 2008, 11:23 PM
It's just comedy. It's just entertainment. Why do we have to try to boil everything down to pro-gun or anti-gun?

No Country for Old Men, pro or anti?

Care Bears, pro or anti?

What about chocolate milk? Is chocolate milk pro-gun or anti-gun?

Sometimes, gun politics just don't apply.

poor_richard
March 13, 2008, 01:27 AM
Yep, and this is just comedy also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z-6wnJ2uvc&feature=related

poor taste, but comedy. I guess.

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 13, 2008, 01:45 AM
Sarah Michelle Gellar

mmmm. She's a shooter and her initials are SMG. I didn't think she could get any hotter. I guess I was wrong.

jakemccoy
March 13, 2008, 02:44 AM
Rule #1: The gun is loaded.

Rule #1 for Jim Carey: The gun is not loaded; it looks real and feels real, but it's just a joke...haha...see...point the gun at the Paparazzi in NYC and pull the trigger.

cowssurf
March 13, 2008, 02:57 AM
I think the question of whether or not he'd get prosecuted was a joke, right?

There's not a chance. On film shoots and TV shows, especially a union shoot (which nearly every one is, including Letterman) guns are not used without the supervision of a licensed armorer, who is often the propmaster himself. The gun is a prop, whether real or fake, in the eyes of the production. Very often, the guns are real, though still used as props. Nothing illegal about it when you have the licensed armorer.

Rokyudai
March 13, 2008, 08:30 AM
Made a good 'thunk' but that's neither here nor there. Does it appear that the barrel has been removed? You can see right into the ejection port and its not locked back...

Hokkmike
March 13, 2008, 09:25 AM
Even if he has a permit he was clearly brandishing.

That's a joke, right? (right?)

Cliff47
March 13, 2008, 10:37 AM
I'd like to find out what Jennie McCarthy carries (sorry, that did not come out like I meant it to). The family that shoots together has interlocking fields of fire...

BigG
March 13, 2008, 12:01 PM
Jerry Lewis and Charlie Chaplin are horrible comedians. That the French like them proves it. ;)

Cosmoline
March 13, 2008, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure why any of you still think this was a real firearm.

After dashing onto the set wearing just a robe, socks and slippers, Carrey told Letterman, "I was at a spa at the hotel. I was in the middle of an incredible massage. Then Svetlana started talking about daylight saving time. I immediately went flaccid and I ran right over here."

He then hid behind a chair, stripped down to nothing and got dressed in clothes handed to him by an assistant called Lance.

Carrey also produced a prop gun he told the host was for scaring paparazzi photographers: "I'm not a very good shot. It's really about the paparazzi. Once you start waving that about..."

http://www.9wsyr.com/entertainment/story.aspx?content_id=1f236d3e-2429-452e-9781-ac39ca048c5d

Cosmoline
March 13, 2008, 12:14 PM
Get some training for crying out loud and handle that loaded gun correctly if you're going to hand the gun to someone. Remove the magazine; clear the chamber; engage the slide stop. This is not comedy, nor is it funny.

IT IS A PROP. IT IS NOT A FIREARM. So the rules DO NOT APPLY. There is no slide. There is no magazine. There is no cartridge.

Sense of humor, anyone?

Wineoceros
March 13, 2008, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure why any of you still think this was a real firearm.
Wait a minute....

Are you seriously trying to suggest that what we see on televised entertainment programs isn't necessarily (or even probably) real?! I guess you could be right, but who would've thought to apply that sort of reasoning to an actor's actions in a comedy bit?

jgorniak
March 13, 2008, 05:21 PM
He walked out in a robe.

Wouldn't everything following that be a joke also?

Get a grip folks (but don't finger the trigger).

jakemccoy
March 13, 2008, 05:56 PM
lol... It's irrelevant if you figure out the gun is fake after 5 minutes of thought and analysis. Everybody here thought the gun was real when Carey pulled it out and Letterman carefully handled it. If you're saying you instantly (that split second) believed the gun was fake, congratulations, you're not prepared to defend yourself if someone pulls a gun on you.

With a firearm, I'll continue to err on the side of it being real if it looks and feels real. Do what you want with your life.

I've now stared at several photos and videos of that gun. I handle Glocks on a daily basis. From what I see, I can't tell the difference between that alleged prop and a real Glock.

I guess someone forgot to tell me that firearms cease to work on movie/TV sets. Some of you have been wandering around in the land of make believe for too long. The Four Gun Safety Rules trump the rules for the Land of Make Believe and the rules for Humor.

jlbraun
March 13, 2008, 06:06 PM
Airsofts have the proper weight for the gun they imitate. There are entire forthing subcultures of people that dedicate themselves to buying the most accurate replicas of firearms they can.

Cosmoline
March 13, 2008, 06:34 PM
If you're saying you instantly (that split second) believed the gun was fake, congratulations, you're not prepared to defend yourself if someone pulls a gun on you.

You are CORRECT sir. I am not prepared to defend myself if a very well known comedian comes out on STAGE and starts goofing around with a play gun. I would be taken COMPLETELY OFF GUARD if it was real and he killed me with it. Next time I see someone on STAGE with what looks like a FIREARM I'm taking them down hard. LOL

The Four Gun Safety Rules trump the rules for the Land of Make Believe and the rules for Humor.

This is taking safety way, way too far. Your rule means one actor could never pretend to shoot another during a play. Part of the problem here is that some of you think Letterman is anything other than make believe. It is SCRIPTED. They do REHERSAL. The interviews are not what they seem to be. It's a very rare thing when a guest goes off script, and you can tell when they do because Letterman or Leno look like they want to start chewing nails. Otherwise the whole thing is a big game

STAGE
JIM CAREY
MAKE BELIEVE
PRETEND
COMEDIAN
JOKE

Comprende?

jakemccoy
March 13, 2008, 06:59 PM
Here's the ultimate question for everybody here who's in Trash Talkers Anonymous:

For $20, as soon as Letterman put the gun on his desk, would you be willing to take that gun off of Letterman's desk, point it at your head and pull the trigger without asking anybody any questions?

Answer "yes" or "no" before any other trash talking.

cowssurf
March 13, 2008, 07:01 PM
BigG

Charlie Chaplin was a genius and hilarious. You are wrong.

Cosmoline
March 13, 2008, 08:23 PM
For $20, as soon as Letterman put the gun on his desk, would you be willing to take that gun off of Letterman's desk, point it at your head and pull the trigger without asking anybody any questions?

If I know it's a dud prop, as Letterman and Leno did? Sure thing! Though I wouldn't do it if it was holding blanks. The fact that it looks real to you in the audience just means the props have gotten a lot better than they used to be.

If Carrey really did waive a loaded Glockenspeil around on stage he'd have something much meaner than you or me or the Four Rules to worry about. He'd have some really, really angry insurance reps to deal with and Worldwide Panties would be in a real bad knot. Underwriters DO NOT LIKE having loaded guns aimed at multimillion dollar assets they're protecting.

jakemccoy
March 13, 2008, 08:33 PM
yes or no

If it's not a plain "yes", I'll assume it's "no". The question is straight forward.

Please stop bringing up all the obvious stuff that I already know.

Leanwolf
March 13, 2008, 08:39 PM
"Quote: (by Leanwolf)

WINCHESTER 73 - Jerry Lewis is a poor imitation of Jerry Lewis. Our all time worst comedian."

And that right there illustrates the level of Jim Carey's comedic talent . :D

L.W.

Cosmoline
March 13, 2008, 08:49 PM
Please stop bringing up all the obvious stuff that I already know.

So stop bothering you with the facts, in other words.

Gaiudo
March 13, 2008, 08:52 PM
silly question, jake, you got a silly answer.

jakemccoy
March 13, 2008, 08:52 PM

Cosmoline
March 13, 2008, 08:57 PM
Thus, every film you've seen where an actor gets "shot" with a "gun" that appears to be real is a violation of the rules. This is a perfect example of how sensible safety rules can be stretched way too far.

jakemccoy
March 13, 2008, 08:59 PM

jakemccoy
March 13, 2008, 09:01 PM
So, it's a "no".

That's OK. My answer to the question is "no" also because I'm not sure the gun is unloaded. If you were sure the gun is unloaded, that's a quick $20, but you're not sure. I'm glad we agree. So, stop with all the B.S. about insurance and underwriters.

By the way, if the gun were a squirt gun, my answer would be "yes". So, no, the question is not silly. The question is just uncomfortably simple.

Thank you everybody, good night.

I'm done here, thanks.

Winchester 73
March 14, 2008, 12:36 AM
And that right there illustrates the level of Jim Carey's comedic talent .

Brilliant retort,Leanwolf!:evil:

Wineoceros
March 14, 2008, 09:50 AM
yes or no

If it's not a plain "yes", I'll assume it's "no".
That right there is one of your problems. You rely far too much on false, baseless assumptions.

The question is straight forward.
No, it isn't. It's an asinine question that fails to recognize the huge difference between drawing a reasonable conclusion vs. pointlessly and stupidly staking your life on that conclusion.

And your proclamation that "everyone here" thought the gun was real at first is based on the false assumption that everyone is as gullible as you appear to be.

Phil DeGraves
March 14, 2008, 03:00 PM
Of course it was fake. It was a GLOCK.

Justin
March 14, 2008, 03:07 PM
Are we really so bored that the only thing worth doing is flaming each other over whether or not Jim Carey had a real Glock on stage at a taping of Letterman's show?

Stuff like this is why the tubes of the internet have been getting needlessly clogged.

If you enjoyed reading about "Jim Carey's Glock on Letterman last night" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!